Menu

9th Grade for 2019-2020!

Ok, I am slowly getting used to the idea that my firstborn will be a high school student next year. How did we get here so fast?! 

Dd is a good student who loves literature, creative writing, and languages, but can also do math. She is not an organized kid, so I know we need to work more on study skills and executive function things. Some of it is hormonal brain fog, for sure. She has a heavy load this year and is frustrated with not enough free time/down time, so we are dialing it back some next year, fewer classes and some less-intense choices.

Here is our tentative plan

Math -  Geometry at local tutorial with the Glencoe textbook. (Not thrilled with this choice, but we cannot afford an online class this year. Sad to not be doing Jurgensen at WHA!  Much less concerned about this now that I have spoken with the teacher. She is thoroughly capable and experienced.)

English - mom-made, mostly paralleling her modern history class. We will use Windows to the World for Lit analysis and then add some other essay writing second semester.

Language - Latin 2, online with CLRC.  

History - Moderns at home with me. I'll use Dave Raymond's course as a starting point and add some Read Like a Historian and some movies.

Science - Biology at local tutorial with the Science Shepherd text. The tutorial uses a local university's labs, so the kids get to work in nice facilities with good equipment. 

Elective - Musical Theater at local tutorial.

Extra curriculars: Piano, AHG, regular exercise tbd, Church youth group. Possibly looking for a regular volunteering opportunity or a job after we get settled into the year and see how it goes.

Does this look okay? High school is scary! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

I am trying not to panic as I plan the "first year that counts"! 

So many choices are still up in the air, but this is what I have so far: (Last edit 2/21 . . . I imagine there will be many more)

Geometry -- Mr. D

Discovery of Deduction/Formal logic-- Schole Academy

Biology-- local class  College Prep Science 

Spanish 2 -- Breaking the Barrier 2 (mom taught)

Bible/History/literature -- Omnibus 1 self paced (history/theology/lit)

AG reinforcement

Music: piano and guitar

PE: she is in competitive swimming and swims 2+ hours/day

I am wondering if this is too much . . . or??? As much as I would love her to take a Great conversations course, I think it would tip the scales to too much . . . she really wants more time for music, is in a praise band at church, swims, and is playing on a tennis team this spring ... 

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 3

Just want to chime in as a mom of a senior. It doesn't seem possible that my oldest and I were in this same spot four years ago. 

- You can do this. (If I can, you guys surely can.)

- Don't overload your freshmen. High school was an adjustment for both of us. If you get a month in & realize you need to add more, you can. You can also cut back, but free time to follow interests is so important.

- Don't sweat about college stuff yet. Plan, sure. Research, look ahead if you need to. But don't freak out. Your kid will learn & grow and change over the next four years. You will learn & grow and change, too.

- These years fly by. Enjoy your kids (even when they frustrate you). Enjoy the ride. It can be bumpy, but it isn't usually dull.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

This time last year, I wasn’t sure if I was planning 8th or 9th for the upcoming year for my DD with an October birthday. Turns out that it has been/is a terrific 9th grade year. I’ve decided if she needs time before starting the next ‘phase’, we can certainly take a gap year after graduating as a young 17-year old. 

This is what we did for 9th (and it worked so well that we’re just proceeding with the next thing for 10th next year in each subject area):

Math: WHA Geometry; moving onto WHA Algebra 2

Latin: WHA Latin 1; moving onto WHA Latin 2

Science: Clover Creek Physics; moving onto Clover Valley Chemistry 

English/History: CLRC Great Books 1; moving onto CLRC Great Books 2

PE/Fine Arts: 1 full credit in each for her 20 hours/week pre-pro ballet training

Don't be too freaked out by the first year of high school. It really is just doing the next thing. I spent about half a day in the fall compiling course descriptions/syllabi and building the framework of a transcript. At the end of the first semester I added first semester grades or progress reports and work samples. I think I have a good and sustainable record-keeping system. From here, it is just a matter of updating my records twice annually and making sure DD has what she needs to do the work. *We’re 100% outsourced because DD lives away from home training at a ballet school.

You can do this!

• Like 5

So we are wrapping up 9th for one of mine. We have kept it very low key, do the next thing like others have said. She is in a different spot than a lot here, and we work at her level which is going fine. We do everything at home for core classes except science, which a science teacher does in our home this year with a few kids. 

So she is doing: 

PreAlgebra- Finishing up Rod and Staff arithmetic and reading through Life of Fred 

Physical Science with Lab component- co-oping with a friend.

Latin I FInishing up Third Form, studying for the NLE I, and planning to get a bit of Fourth Form in. 

English I  at home- a little WWS, a little Rod and Staff English (grade 7 book,) and a little spelling using Rod and Staff spelling 6, Dyslexia Games and Thinking Tree materials.  And Lit tied into the History 

World History, Renaissance- using KHE as a spine, the Story of Science, papers on topics of her choice, discussions, and reading Literature and writing context papers on them.  Geography tied in with the Geography Coloring Book. Field trips

Art- a lot! Co-op class plus a class at home from Schoolhouse Teachers dot com, plus outside contests, and paid classes with an artist when time allows. 

PE- dance classes 

thinking tree journals to cover those uncovered things and follow interests- biology/botany interest this year, creative writing, geography, nature study, current events, etc. Just a page or two a morning. 

• Like 5

Ninth grade!
Physics. Apologia possibly also do the advanced book. Science is her thing. 
Spanish 2 EP and conversational class
World history : A Catholic text book with workbook
PE : she practices 20 hours a week in competitive gymnastics.  
English. Probably homegrown.   Maybe a Co-op literature class. 
MatH:  AOPS, should be finishing geometry and counting and probability, and move on to Intermediate Algebra.  
Edited by GeoKitty

Here's what I have so far after freaking out and conferencing with 3 other parents who have already graduated kids in my area. đŸ¤£

Math - Geometry with retired math teacher (30 years experience, she chooses her favorite books, makes up problems, and just teaches)

Science - Biology through privately taught class (probably Miller-Levine)

English - no idea yet. It'll be mom-created & mom-taught based on interest. Maybe dystopia? Maybe Russian lit?

History - ? Possibly none? Leaving freedom here to cut this out and not overload high school.

Foreign Language - German II WTMA

Electives -

Choir - probably at local junior high (we have 7-9 here)

Aerospace - Teen Flight program building a plane & flying it

PE - high school golf team & lessons, YMCA fitness classes

• Like 2

Our baby is starting 9th grade . . . still shaking my head.  This is what we have confirmed: 

Math - Algebra II (Mr D)

Language - ASL 4 (Open Tent Academy)

Still not sure on the following: 

English - English I (T4L or Plato/Edmentum)

History - US History (Great Courses DVDs)

Science - Biology (Friendly Biology, T4L, or Plato/Edmentum)

Possibly a fine arts credit in theater and pe/health credit in dance/yoga/nutrition.  

I need to keep our DD's 9th grade year pretty basic, straightforward with less live online classes.  I overloaded her for 8th grade with 7 online classes and it hasn't gone well at all. Plus, she wants to continue with volunteering at the local theater and elementary school. 

• Like 1

My third ninth grader this year. I’m still not 100% certain, but it looks like:

Math: Teaching Textbooks Geometry with regular Algebra review. 

Science:Guesthollow Biology

History: Ancients with Tapestry of Grace

Bible:TOG 1/2 credit

Personal Finance:Money Matters with Boy Scout Personal Management Badge work 1/2 credit

Spanish:probably AIM academy 

English:probably Illuminating Literature:Characters in Crises, but I might sub in The odyssey and some greek plays. He will take a couple of Lantern English writing classes and do some writing with me  

PE : Daily Fitness

He’ll also keep up with guitar and praise band.  He will do TKD and youth group.  He most likely will do FLL  

• Like 1

Ok, we're pretty set now: 

Algebra-Understanding Algebra by Critical Thinking Co paired with Coconuts and Crocodiles/Chuckles the Rocket Dog by Arbor. 

Science-Forensic Science. using Georgia Virtual Learning course and the Great Courses series Trails of Evidence: How Forensic Science Works. 

History/SS-Queer US History, using readings from this syllabus  (and a few movies thrown in from another one) with weekly journaling (she refuses to annotate in books, so I have her make notes in a journal) and discussion about the readings/viewings. Will write one essay (probably an argument paper related to a current issue). 

LA- "Literature for the Stage", 6 week periods focused on different types of performaces: Shakespeare (Macbeth, As You Like It); Ancient Plays (Oedipus, Antigone, possibly also read some Aristophanes); Musicals (My Fair Lady, Newsies...we are going to see Hamilton but I have been forbidden from "turning it into school" in any way, lol); Opera (Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, Porgy and Bess); Plays (Harvey,  The Importance of Being Earnest, The Sultan's Dilemma, A Raisin in the Sun). For each, we will be reading, viewing (live whenever possible) and discussing. We will use videos and guides and other resources as they fit. We will look at original/inspirations (ex Pygmalion for My Fair Lady). She will likely read/watch additional works. There will be 2-3 lit based papers for this one. 

Art-She will most likely be taking animation courses from The Animation Course (she is currently taking the second Drawing Courses). I will add a research paper per term, and some museum trips to round it out.

She might pick up another elective-photography or creative writing maybe. She wants to take up guitar, but not for school, and she's starting a D&D group this month. She's dropping scouts at the end of the year-apparently she was only doing it for the social aspects and now that we've found an active homeschool group and she's found some awesome homeschool friends she feels like she doesn't want/need scouts. She's also talking about starting up a community GSA.

Edited by LoveMyBeautifulGift
  • Like 2

I'm not sure of everything yet, but here is what I have so far:

WHA GC 3

WHA Logic 2

Integritas Academy Lit and Comp 1

Chemistry (Clover Valley or Discovering Design)

AoPS Intermediate Algebra

Latin Readings at home with some tutoring support???? 

• Like 2

Noooo!!!

Everything is a mess here! I had everything all put together and then my husband announced that his company wanted to move us across the state. We had planned a year around our co-op group. With that gone, I'm switchig gears. Fortunately I'm learning this now and not in 4 months.

So far:

Finish AoPS Intro to Algebra and begin Geometry. (This scares the holy-moly out of me. Geometry was never my strong point so we'll be relying on my husband more for this one. Fortunately, my daughter and his brain seem to have a natural affinity for geometry (must be the engineer in him) so I'm hoping my involvement will be limited to just staying out of the way.)

French 2 with WTMA. She's taking French 1 here and really enjoying it.

World Geography cobbled together by me with Great Courses, World History: Our Human Story, additional readings, some documentaries, and some writing/research papers.

Biology: ?

Lit/Comp: Oak Meadow: The Hero's Journey

Drawing and Design: Still figuring this one out.

And one of the first things we need to when we reach our destination is find a dance studio and audition for their ballet company. She's dancing 12+ hours a week now and loving every moment of it. Leaving her studio and dance friends behind for this move is beyond upsetting.Â đŸ˜­

• Like 1

(Located paper lunch bag in case of hyperventilation. "Make sure you put on your mask before helping others")

Dd and ds will be in 9th next year. Most of their stuff will just be do-the-next-thing

Math - Algebra with Jann for one and Geometry with Derek Owens for the other

Science - both are interested in Biology 2, which I'm thinking about making "with lab"

Foreign Language - Spanish 4 (most likely)

The rest definitely at home ->

English - last half of WWS 3 + literature writing?

History/literature - ahh! Perhaps ancients. Why can't I elicit an opinion from them? Did I forget to teach that? In any case it can't be too heavy, it isn't a main focus, but I really, really want to read through HotAW with them. But it is very dense. 

We also have German (rec level of study), piano (ds), ballet (27 hrs/wk dd) and electives (no-one has an opinion on this either - are you children made of clay??)

So I still have some planning work to do. I'm reviewing the WTM suggestions and outlining some ideas. I think they will be able to dredge up opinions if I tighten the number of choices down from infinity. 

• Like 1

My oldest son will be a 9th grader. Mostly, I have no idea what we're doing. 

Math -- probably finishing AOPS Intro to Algebra and calling it Algebra 2. 

History -- probably ancients, but I'm undecided about which program to use.   I own WTM's HOTAW and Pandia's high school ancients. 

English-- I don't know. Maybe some of the EiL modules, maybe a mix of some ancients and some less so. Undecided. 

Science -- Also undecided. It's not his or my favorite subject. He should do biology, but I don't really want to teach biology. I'm waiting to see if the place that does drop-off a la carte classes does biology. If they do, maybe he can take it there, and if not, maybe we will do chemistry instead since I'd rather teach that. 

Language -- probably Spanish at home, with the goal of using HSA the following year.

Electives-- Undecided. Possibilities: Latin, a math elective using one of the other non-sequential AOPS books since he likes math, art history, music. He is about to get his black belt in martial arts, so of course he will almost certainly stick with that. 

• Like 2

My youngest - a high schooler next year - it can't be!!!!! !đŸ˜­

Here's our line up:

MFW Ancients  - History, Bible & Literature  (I plan to add in the Circe guides for Homer and possibly enroll her in an 8-week writing class with Lantern English)

Teaching Textbook Geometry

Spanish - Getting Started with Spanish and LifePac

Apologia Biology

Apologia Health & Nutrition

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm planning 9th grade. My first high schooler. I'm not done planning but this is what I have so far...

English - Patterns for College Writting, book study on American Lit

History - Oak Meadow World History

Math - Mr D Geometry

Science - Chemistry, I'm not sure what we will use for this 

Language- Homeschool Spanish Academy

Stem classes based in CAD, Piano, Art and maybe dance although I'm a little worried this is too many activities so it may change.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 2

My middle will be 9th grade next year. Her 8th grade year has been a roller coaster, but I am hoping (crossing every finger and toe) that it will all settle down for high school.

She is eligible for a private school scholarship, so she may end up in school (we tried this year, but she didn't stay for various reasons). But if she stays home...

Math: She's doing Mr. D Algebra right now; if it continues to be a good fit, Mr. D Geometry

English: no idea????? Started Essentials in Writing this week, maybe continue that and some literature. She really would love a class, but I haven't found a good one locally.

Social Studies: Intro to Psychology with CLEP test- she desperately wants to start college classes so this is our compromise. She loves ancient history which is what I'm planning with my 7th grader, so may fold her into that. 

Science: She is starting Guest Hollow Anatomy this coming week, so that leading into some sort of Chemistry second semester?

Foreign Language: she wants to do Spanish (she started this at school this year) - as I mentioned she wants to do college, so we may try community college Spanish

She's an eager learner and loves to be busy, so she will round this out with penpals in 3 different countries, volunteering, TaeKwonDo, and art (they just opened a pottery place here in town - maybe classes in that). 

• Like 1

Still debating on a few things, but we've made the big decisions (no dual enrollment, not going to brick and mortar, and probably no online class.) I continue to mostly just buy books...

History to 1500- Humanistic Traditions (includes art, history and world literature)

Literature to 1500: Foundations of Western Culture, GC "Great Authors of Western Lit" & Vandiver's "Odyssey". Sub Julius Caesar for Beowulf.  Mom made mash up of other resources.

French 3- Breaking the Barrier 3 (first half) and a conversation course.

Biology- Still deciding. I know we are using the Advanced Biology Kit. Dd wants to do Campbell, but also likes the Holt owl book. Just trying to decide if what we cover will match up with AP or SAT 2 test because she should take one or the other for various reasons. AP Bio with small provider. Subject test in June.

Math- Precalculus. Probably. Likely Larson/sort of Chalkdust. This is a good spot/ time for something besides "forward". Not sure what. She was talking about jumping back into AoPS again, which surprised me. Thinking about taking a spin through Gelfand's Algebra.  I bought Adler's book as a side-along, but Larson will be our main text.

Logic/ Math- Continue Elements of Mathematics Foundations.

Health/ Phys Ed- Oak Meadow. As we have time. Found scratch-and-dent coursebook directly from OM on Ebay. Probably working on this over the summers.

Added: Dd has a couple of electives that she's self studying that will probably end up on her transcript next year as semester courses. The local school has eight credits per year, so she wants that. This is my compromise. I think AP Bio will take quite a bit of time.

Edited by MamaSprout
Forgot Health. Added Gelfand's. Changed Lit. March update. I think we are set.
  • Like 1

This is unbelievable considering I joined this forum when my daughter was 3.

History - Omnibus 3

Science - Biology - CK12 with Guest Hollow

English - Windows to the World in co-op plus Omnibus 3 

Foreign Language - maybe not this year?

Math - Saxon Algebra 

Elective - Bible - Omnibus 3 

Elective - Psychology - unsure on curriculum

Orchestra - not totally sure how to make this a credit. She takes a private lesson once a week and plays with a youth orchestra once a week. That along with daily practice? Is that enough?

Editing as I plan...

Edited by staceyobu
  • Like 3

I'm still researching what I want to do since this will be my first go around with high school. This is what I'm thinking so far

Science - Dive Physical Science (Self-paced)

Math - TT - Algebra 1

Comp/Lit - EIW/EIL 9 (Both Writing and Literature) or Sharon Watson. Still narrowing down

History - Still deciding - I want this to be fun because he loves History and does things on his own already so I don't want to bog him down just need to figure out something that is organized to keep us on the right track. 

Bible -  Not sure yet. Wanting to have Bible time with all the kids in the morning. 

Home Ec - I'm planning on have all the kids learn how to plan, buy, cook meals as well as other household things. Still working on this idea. I'd like to figure out how to give him a home ec credit for this.

Phys Ed - Cross country and Wrestling will fill this credit

Edited by Mom28kds
  • Like 1

This is my 3rd 9th grader.  We are back to using Unit Studies this year.  I combine my high schoolers, so you'll see the same stuff on the 11th and 12th grade threads.

We school year-round, so we cover a little more than most.  Our courses/unit studies (not all of these are a credit, so don't panic - Lol):

• Mathusee Geometry
  • Home Economics
  • Fantasy Literature
  • P.E.
  • Native American History
  • Contemporary Native American Literature (all from different genres)
  • Anatomy & Physiology
  • German II
  • Theater/Drama (outsourced)
  • Russian ballet - I think she is moving into Advanced Ballet with Pointe
  • Studio Art - she works privately with an art teacher - mostly painting realism - she actually competes with her art, so more of that, too.
  • Violin - continuing that
Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 3:29 PM, staceyobu said:

This is unbelievable considering I joined this forum when my daughter was 3.

History - Ancients? Text?

Science - Biology ??

English - ??

Foreign Language - German ???

Math - Saxon Algebra (I think!)

Maybe formal Logic? Bible? 

Anyone want to fill in all these question marks?

Can you break out your copy of TWTM?  Lots of recommendations in there!  

Do you speak German already?  I'm using the Komm Mit series, but I minored in German, so I'm pretty fluent.  I don't know what I would use if I didn't already speak it, though.  

I know it's not popular here, but my son REALLY liked Apologia Biology...and especially the labs.

For Bible, my teens have done a survey of every book of the Bible.  We basically read every book or key parts of each book and watched different Youtube videos explaining the key points in each book.  It was excellent.  I learned a ton.

We did Saxon Algebra 1 (my oldest did).  It's a solid program, but I had to help her a lot.   

• Like 3

This is my youngest and I can't wrap my head around the idea that he will be in 9th grade this coming year. 

This year has been his first solo-homeschool year and we have found ourselves moving away from more rigid structure rather than toward it. 8th grade has turned and I'm not sure what 9th looks like yet.

He has been accepted to a one day a week Aerospace program so that will be part of our picture.

When we talked about English, he discussed doing a full year of Shakespeare and some writing with Bravewriter ... so I guess that? Yeah probably that.

Math ... he will move into Precalc when he finishes geometry but we are in no rush. We are reaching the end of my ability to teach it - I can do calculus. But I don't think I can teach calculus but as we progress, I do less and less teaching. That math giftedness thing is peeking at me. Not sure where it will go.... If he tests out of calc, the local programs will send him to the university for dual enrollment rather than the CC so I'd like to get him there. 

Social Studies -- he is talking Econ, so that's probably what we will do.

Science -- No idea -- probably some kind of physics.

For now Japanese Pod, Mango, Duo are meeting his Japanese study needs. We will probably look for a tutor....

PE karate and hiking is working for us. 

Edited by theelfqueen
Trying to eliminate strange giant emoji in my post!
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

he discussed doing a full year of Shakespeare and some writing with Bravewriter ...

Have you looked at the Roy Speed Shakespeare classes? I've heard good things on the forum, but I haven't directly asked. It doesn't make sense for us to do them before 10th grade, so I've put it on a back burner for now. 

My current 9th grader is taking:

Math:  Algebra 2 with/Trig/Precal from AskDrCallahan.com

Science:  Apologia Chemistry with accompanying outside class

English (American Lit.): Outside class with various supplemental materials at home

World Geography:  BJU 

Foreign Language:  Biblical Greek (Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce)  with accompanying outside class

Intro to Logic 

Fine Arts: Piano

P.E. - Ballet 8 hrs. a week

ACT Prep

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Only doing this once with twin 9th graders :blink::ohmy: (I really, really miss the passing out emoji)!!!  Was considering sending them to public school, but think that plan is scrapped.  Feel like I'm starting behind the 8 ball!

1.0 Math - Finish VideoText Algebra and start VideoText Geometry

1.0 Langauge Arts - LLLotR and WttW, WWS2, Finish Vocabulary from Classical Roots (one will do D & E the other will do C, D, & E)

1.0 Science:  Honors Biology w/lab (local class) - SAT Subject Test in spring/summer

1.0 Foreign Language - Spanish 1 (local class) 

1.0 History - SWB's History of the Ancient World w/Study Guide and various Great Courses

1.0 PE/Health - Year round swimmers, various Great Courses and other reading material. CPR and First Aid Certifications

0.5 Fine Arts - Photography 

Logic - ???

Edited by mlktwins
ETA: Updating my plan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

History - World History ???

Fine Arts - Photography?  

I'm gearing up for twin 9th graders also. History is troubling me. I'm thinking I'll start a thread one of these days. What I WANT to do is SWB's HotAW. I would love that. However I suspect it is too much reading for one of mine. I may fall back on selections from Spielvogel or....

My dd is doing photography this year. We are using a Great Course from the library (we can check out one lecture at a time) along with a monthly meeting with a local art teacher and time for taking pictures. She is liking it. Next year she wants Photography 2. Not sure what that will be yet.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 1:54 PM, SusanC said:

Have you looked at the Roy Speed Shakespeare classes? I've heard good things on the forum, but I haven't directly asked. It doesn't make sense for us to do them before 10th grade, so I've put it on a back burner for now. 

DS14 did Romeo & Juliet in 7th, Macbeth and Hamlet in 8th. The very low volume of writing coupled with the interactive aspect of weekly live class was just nice for him to enjoy Shakespeare. I don’t think the three courses combined was enough for a credit though compared to what I had to study and analyze for my 8th grade literature class which was why he did it before high school. DS13 did Romeo & Juliet in 8th grade. He didn’t put in effort for the homework (which isn’t much) compared to DS14 so while I would still like him to do Macbeth and Hamlet as enrichment in the future, I might put him in the other Roy Speed class Our History & Literature of the Middle Ages with DS14 for 2020/21 instead for enrichment. 

http://hscollegebound.com/HSCB-Blend-Middle-Ages.htm

DS14’s History credit is a comedy of errors this year. We’ll have to finish History in summer.

• Like 1

This is my 2nd 9th grader, so I feel a little more confident this time around.  We'll be doing Memoria Press 9th grade with a couple adjustments.

• Second Form Latin
  • Prentice Hall Algebra II
  • Middle Ages literature: Beowulf, Sir Gawain, Henry V, Canterbury Tales, Poetry book, Book of the Middle Ages, The Bronze Bow
  • Writing: IEW's Student Writing Intensive C plus Fix It Grammar
  • Classical Studies: Book of the Ancient Romans, the Aeneid
  • Christian Studies: The Story of Christianity
  • Logic: Traditional Logic 1 & 2
  • Novare Physical Science
  • American History: A Concise History of the American Republic
  • Art: Artistic Pursuits Senior High Book One
  • Music: piano/guitar/etc.
  • Family Studies: Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization, MP Music Appreciation, Singing Made Easy, Lingua Angelica, SCM's Scripture Memory

He spends a lot of time on his computer, so he should be able to earn an elective credit for programming.  Has anyone done this?

Edited by Holly
Updated plans
  • Like 1

4th and last 9th grader.  DD14 is a fiery, motivated learner who breathes drama into every subject.  I think I've finally figured out her complex learning style.  The Devil Makes Work For Idle Hands is our guiding rule for this one, same as her oldest brother.  Pile on work and activities, allow plenty of downtime for recharge but with knitting needles or spinning wheel so the hands are literally never idle!  Very similar to oldest DS, with the difference that 25 years ago, there was no internet for homeschoolers.  Remember the Timberdoodle paper catalogue?  I don't have a smartphone, I'm not on social media, but I am grateful for the resources available now.

9th grade so far:

English - continuing her 8th grade experience with an amazing mentor who worked with my third child.  He is a retired PhD English teacher who worked at independent high schools throughout his career.  His way involves close reading, Socratic method, excellent writing guidance and an incredible list of classic and new Great Books.

Math - geometry with Mr. D.  She adores Mr. H as this year's algebra teacher so will continue with him. She has completely changed her tune from math-rage to math-competency - I am deeply grateful for this program!

Science - taking the plunge and will sign up for Athena's biology.  Thanks to all the lists here I was able to research, especially Lori D.  Fingers crossed.

World History - this is a bit different.  We're going to use the History of the World in 100 Objects by the British Museum director Neil MacGregor.  It's not a text but rather a beautiful compendium of 100 era-defining objects with intelligent curation.  We'll go through and select multiple geographic areas and different types of objects, then build a visual and verbal timeline of essays with further research into the ideas and eras.

Foreign Language - continue with German, Duolingo or something new, haven't decided.  

Art - glass blowing apprenticeship with local glassblowers.  Carschooling the drive there.

More science - 3 hours/week doing water quality testing and phytoplankton ID with local marine bio lab.

Shakespeare - continue with the same group, even though now the others will all be in school.  (This is a tragedy waiting to unfold that I experienced with my older kids and now I know what's in store for this one.)

ECs - show choir, theater at local public high school.  Dance at...?  Her favorite dance teacher is moving 3 hours away.  More photography with "extra kid" graduated homeschooler.  Spinning, knitting, drawing, hiking, swimming, and metabolizing the hormones.

• Like 3

This will be my first high schooler and I hope this goes well!

Math- Shormann Algebra I???  

English/ Composition- Fix It Grammar Book 4, Vocab from Classical Roots books B and C, and MPOA High School Composition I

Literature- MP Middle Ages Literature and Poetry 

History- MP Middle Ages and Roman Roads Christendom videos and hopefully MP Renaissance if they get it published

Science- Novare Introductory Physics

Foreign language-  French I with a local teacher and Duolingo

Elective- MP Geography III

Fine Arts- Homeschool Orchestra and Choir

Extracurriculuar- Basketball and Bible Quiz Team

Edited by RubyPenn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, happypamama said:

My oldest son will be a 9th grader. 

Math -- AOPS Intro to Algebra, second part, for Algebra 2. 

History -- Ancients, either WTM's HOTAW Pandia's high school ancients, depending on which looks good to him. 

English-- Maybe some of the EiL modules, maybe a mix of some ancients and some not. There is a possibility of a one semester composition class that I think would be really good for him, so I would add the lit component. 

Science -- Bio if a drop off program offers one I want. Might consider physics or chem the same way. If none of those pan out, I'll do chem at home with him using Zumdahl. 

Language -- probably Spanish at home, with the goal of using HSA the following year.

Electives -- He opted to drop Latin. He wanted to do more AOPS, so I am planning for a half credit of Number Theory. I'm also putting together some electronics and robotics materials using Great Courses. Plus I want him to start SAT prep. 

EC -- He is about to get his black belt in martial arts, so of course he will almost certainly stick with that. He has expressed interest in running cross country with the high school, and he would like a job. And there is the usual stuff like his dog and kayaking, so he should be a happily busy young man. 

Husband has me doubting my ability to teach Spanish 1 at home. I never studied Spanish in school, just many years of French and Italian. I have self-taught myself Latin alongside the kids for many years and have a good grasp of it, and I have studied some Spanish alongside my oldest. I had thought I would do okay with teaching Spanish 1 with the help of the textbooks, but DH has me doubting that. We aren't talking fluency at that point but mainly introductory grammar and vocabulary. I can't afford HSA for him yet, so I was hoping that doing the intro stuff at home would be enough to either place him into a higher level at HSA the following year OR help him fly through their Level 1, which is what his older sister did. (She had been through all of DuoLingo, but DS doesn't like DuoLingo's format; he wants more systematic instruction in the grammar rules.) Am I crazy to think that I can manage that?  That DH seems skeptical is making me feel a bit worried. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happypamama said:

Am I crazy to think that I can manage that?

I don't think so! I self-studied last year for a trip to Italy, and my high school Spanish (plus refreshing with my kids) made it easy because the grammar is essentially the same. A lot of the vocabulary is also, understandably, similar. So I did something similar in the other direction. I think you will be fine.

I guess I'm assuming that the two of you are both reasonably interested in learning Spanish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happypamama said:

Am I crazy to think that I can manage that?  That DH seems skeptical is making me feel a bit worried. 

You can do it. I suggest Getting Started with Spanish with the audio files  (should try to get through in less than 10 weeks) then do CAP's Spanish for Children. I puffy heart GSWS, but you'll need to do it by time (an hour a day) vs by lesson. It is more like a weak 1/4 high school credit but a great base to start from. I hated Spanish for Children because it didn't have enough practice or review for my kid and went fast, but in retrospect, there were very few things grammar-wise in Spanish 1 that DD hadn't already bern exposed to in SfC A. She just needed to add more vocab. So, I think with that base, he might place into Spanish 1B with HSA and get through 1B smoothly. You'll need to work with him on pronunciation and convos, but as long as your accent isn't as bad as mine, I believe you can handle it. (I have an unforgiving French accent and despise pronouncing all the vowels in Spanish.) Perhaps your older kid will do some convo work with this one to help you time-wise. There are dialogues at the beginning of each of CAP's lessons. 

• Like 2

Erk. I just reread that you may already have textbooks. I still recommend GSWS (cheap, free audio) for the beginning. Might even be an easy summer intro & then start your chosen textbook when the school year begins without finishing GSWS. (The only negative is your kid might be like my second child & beg to go back to GSW- because it teaches like she learns-explicotly & linearly vs. Implicit & parallel like the French textbook I transitioned her into.)

• Like 1

Thanks, ladies. That's what I was thinking too. We do have GSWS actually and have been working through it this semester, a bit at a time, and I worked through most of it with my oldest anyway. We also have both Easy and Advanced Spanish Step By Step, and they have a ton of vocabulary and grammar in them, and I can put together games and activities to review those. I will look at CAP too; I adore their Latin book.  My oldest will be happy to correct our pronunciation as needed. And yes, I can also double check HSA's scope and sequence.  I just kind of feel like there isn't a real drawback to doing it that way, and DH's dubiousness kind of threw me  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still just a little bit in denial, but here goes. Grade 9 for my eldest:

Math: AOPS Intro to Geometry

Science: Physics Honors (WHA online)

History: finish up SWB's "The History of the Medieval World", begin "The History of the Renaissance World"

LA: finish up WWS3. Also, literature that coincides with the historical timeperiod she's studying.

Foreign Language: continue Spanish with Duolingo? Begin French? Also, Duolingo has apparently changed its format recently, and it's really not working for her at all. I may have to look for another foreign language resource.

Electives: Latin II (Schole Academy online) and Logic (Discovery of Deduction)

Art & Music: informal discussion according to historical timeperiod studied

PE: dance class 2x/week

I'm not feeling like I have my thoughts organized as far as History and LA. Thus far, history has been reading along with a brief written chapter summary. LA has been WWS and a ton of independent reading with very informal discussion of books. My "plan" is to look to WTMA and SA book lists and syllabus for some ideas/guidance...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

How many credits are you planning for your 9th grader? 

6, 5 core academics and one fine arts. Possibly half a PE credit. 

She may do some other things which end up counting for credit, but not planning that at this point. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 12:01 PM, FairProspects said:

Here's what I have so far after freaking out and conferencing with 3 other parents who have already graduated kids in my area. đŸ¤£

Math - Geometry with retired math teacher (30 years experience, she chooses her favorite books, makes up problems, and just teaches)

Science - Biology through privately taught class (probably Miller-Levine)

English - no idea yet. It'll be mom-created & mom-taught based on interest. Maybe dystopia? Maybe Russian lit?

History - ? Possibly none? Leaving freedom here to cut this out and not overload high school.

Foreign Language - German II WTMA

Electives -

Choir - probably at local junior high (we have 7-9 here)

Aerospace - Teen Flight program building a plane & flying it

PE - high school golf team & lessons, YMCA fitness classes

What a neat opportunity for the Teen Glight program! Is this a national or just a local group?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

6, 5 core academics and one fine arts. Possibly half a PE credit. 

She may do some other things which end up counting for credit, but not planning that at this point. 

That’s what we are thinking - 5 core and 1 fine arts. Thank you!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

How many credits are you planning for your 9th grader? 

We're going to have 8, BUT only because I'm counting a full year of PE and 1.5 electives that she's working on now (art, astronomy and health). She needs to check off some boxes because of an early college program she's looking at.

Most of our local schools have 8 subject periods a year. When the school year begins, she should mostly have 5.5 left for the year as long as she stays in a sport, and one is an easy first CC course for fall. So I guess that pretty much works out to 5 "academic" 1.5 "health & PE" .5 "fine art" & 1.5 "academic electives". The last 1.5 are completely flexible as to when they are finished.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

That’s what we are thinking - 5 core and 1 fine arts. Thank you!

My Dd has two time-consuming extra curriculars, piano and AHG, plus church youth group and two singing groups that are fun. Trying to make sure she has time for the fun things that refresh her, plus some down time to do nothing. This year she had 7 classes and 3 big ec's and it has been a struggle.

• Like 1

My son should have 6-6.5. Possibly 7, but that seems like a long shot. He will do whatever I ask him to do but doesn't want to be overloaded, and he wants down time to play with the dog he got a few months ago, practice his martial arts (he did get his junior black belt a few weeks ago and is eligible for his adult one next spring), play video games, and maybe get a job. Our diploma requirements are strange. Gym, art, and music are required but not any specific amount, just sometime in 7th to 12th grade, so we made sure to cover those in 7th and 8th, so he's good on those. (Obviously, he will be getting physical exercise, just counting it as an EC rather than PE.)  So 4 cores, 1 language, and between half and one credit each in two electives.

The a la carte drop off place is closing, so at least that answers that question. 

Math -- algebra 2, AOPS at home

History -- Ancients, probably HOTAW

Science -- Conceptual Physics. He and DD grade 12 are both planning to do this so they can do the labs together. 

English -- the teacher DD had at the drop off place is offering some online classes, one of which is a one semester high school writing class. I signed my son up for that and will keep his literature a little light that semester. I'm thinking we might work through Art of Poetry from CAP. Not sure about the second semester yet. 

Spanish -- GSWS, Easy Spanish Step by Step

Robotics/electronics-- home grown using GC

AOPS Intro to Number Theory -- at home

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arliemaria said:

What a neat opportunity for the Teen Glight program! Is this a national or just a local group?

It is a national program, but only at certain small airports so I think it can be challenging to find a chapter locally. Yes, we are lucky to have one near us!