Menu

Could y'all pray for me> I'm homesick.

Chris in VA

I'm very grateful to be here. I like living here a lot, I truly do. I've met amazing people, I have friends, I get one of the nicest apartments in the area, I love living in a school, I have lots of eat. I have a loving husband who really wants me. 

And I live in Jerusalem now and I miss my daughter and my sons, and one son lost his job and can't find another, and I miss our cat, and it's Thanksgiving and I miss that, too. We are going to a feast today and it will be great, but it's not MY house (which doesn't exist anymore, since we lived in a rectory and will never go "home"--but we will make a new home, I know--)/ 

Anyway, I don't want to whine when I have it so good. I don't want to be ungrateful. 

But I'm a little homesick and have been for a week or so, so I'm asking for prayers. It doesn't make sense, since I have all I need, but...there it is. It is what I feel, so I am feeling it instead of denying it.  Thanks. 

• Like 16
  • Sad 3

Thank you so much. I do feel better. Wtook a little trip to Bet Safafa today (near Bethlehem) so my husband could get measured for an item of clergy apparel he will need. And we are about to leave for dinner. I will get to talk to my kids, and my parents, and I did a quick video chat with my best friend sort of spur of the moment a couple hours ago. 

It's all good. Thanks for your prayers and support. 

• Like 9

Of course you are homesick! You can love where you are and miss where you used to be all at the same time! Plus - family!!!! Bittersweet seems like the right description. 

Sending love and prayers. Also, I've been thinking of you, and nearly messaged you this week. We attended an Episcopal church for the first time in years and it was the most amazing, welcoming, wonderful church experience I've ever had (second only to my reception in the RC church at an Easter Vigil...but Easter Vigil services are in a class of their own anyway, lol). 

Blessing to you and your family today!

Ahh, Chris!  You have valid emotions.  I can tell you're torn over this.  I believe people can be grateful and still have desires, longings.  For the Christian, sometimes it seems we shouldn't have those b/c everything we have and need is in Messiah.  And, that's true.  But, Jesus had emotions.  It's OK to remember you are blessed but to "miss" your usual circumstances.  You're a Mom - you're going to miss your kids.  I hope you can skype (I know it's not the same but it's better than not, or a phone call, etc).  

Don't beat yourself up over this.   

Hugs and prayer now!  

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 2

Yep I get it.  I remember one birthday when I was both sick and homesick and I bawled like a baby.   Suddenly I got a rash of random phone calls wishing me happy birthday!  Later I found out dh (we were newly married and pretty young) had been ringing random friends and asking them to call and cheer me up.  I was so embarrassed I could just about have killed him!  Anyway.. we both learned something that day.

hope you are feeling better soon!

I'm experiencing some homesickness too and I'm not dealing with an overseas situation like you are. 

My family home was sold in 2015 so I can never go home again.  I'll never see that home again.  Or sleep in that bedroom again....it is no longer "mine"...someone else is in it now.  My parents have passed on and so have aunts and uncles.  "Home" is just not there anymore and neither are many of the loved ones.

So, I get what you are saying.  And I think it not "just" homesickness, but also a grief for a loss.  I think there needs to be an understanding of that loss and the grief process it brings. 

Combine those emotions with living in a different culture, with a different language, without the nearness of loved ones and familiar surroundings, and you get a big chunk of homesickness. 

Be kind to yourself.  Recognize and validate your feelings.  They are real.  You have wonderful things in your life...a loving husband, a nice apartment, etc.  BUT, those wonderful things do not replace  the loss.  You can have both, conflicting feelings, at the same time. 

• Like 2