Menu

Low Stakes Debate: Do I re-thrift this puzzle

poppy

I love jigsaw puzzles.
I bought this one at the Thrift Store for $3. 
It took me hours to complete,  was very good quality (all the pieces are thick and fit just right), was just the right balance of challenging and easy, and I enjoyed it.
It is missing one piece. Not an edge. 
I don't know if I lost it or if it came that way. I don't THINK I lost it, but who knows? 1000 pieces.

Should I return it to the thrift store so someone else can enjoy it? 
Or should I toss it to save someone the torment of not ever being able to complete it? It doesn't bother me much, but I know that's not true of everyone.
If I write "missing 1 piece" on the box, the thrift store will discard it.
It's up to me to make the call.
WWYD?

I would take it to the thrift store.

Our public library has a shelf of puzzles.  They are just free for the taking; no one monitors them at all.  I dropped a couple off and then in the bottom of my tote bag, found one piece. I haven't seen that puzzle again on the shelf so I haven't been able to stick it back in the box.  I assume someone took it home and either did it, or threw it out because it was missing one piece.  If I took  one off the shelf, I wouldn't mind if it was missing a piece. I might mind if I'd paid for it - not sure.  

Your puzzle is great! 

• Like 1

I would try to find someone who would take it with 1 piece missing.  Perhaps an assisted living type home?  I would not re-circulate it without making sure the recipient knows there is a piece missing.

I would still enjoy a puzzle with a missing piece, but I would explode my brain trying to find the piece unless I knew one was missing.

When my kid was into puzzles, I would just make the missing piece.  Put a piece of cardboard under the gap, trace the pattern, cut out, and draw/color to match. Then cover with tape. . could hardly tell.  I would not try to gift or sell the puzzle,  but giving away is fine. 

• Like 2

Dd has that puzzle,  it’s a really nice one.  I would put a label on the outside of the box saying “1 piece missing, not an edge” and donate it.  Honestly, I would much more likely to purchase it knowing that there is just one piece missing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Calm37 said:

Toss it. I consider it "broken." But I know some people take their broken toys to thrift stores, too.

Donate it. One missiing piece can happen as easily between dumping out the box and putting it together.

I do not regret putting together a puzzle when I can't find a single piece. And, when I buy them from thrift stores, I'd be expecting a few missing pieces in a puzzle that size.

• Like 2

If the store will throw it out I would not put a note.  Can you ask?  If they'd still sell it with a note then I'd do that.

I still vote to donate especially since it's not an edge piece.

I do jigsaws for the process not the finished product.  I don't think one piece makes a puzzle like that less enjoyable.

I wouldn’t donate an incomplete puzzle. It would drive me insane to complete an entire puzzle only to discover that there was one piece missing, so I wouldn’t want anyone else to have that same experience. What a waste of a lot of time! I would throw the puzzle away. 

If you do decide to donate it, please take a Sharpie and write in big letters on the box that there is one piece missing so potential buyers can make an educated decision. Some people like to save their puzzles and hang them up when they’re done assembling them. They couldn’t do that with a piece missing. 

• Like 1

I would be extremely disappointed to get to the end of the puzzle and find that it is incomplete. 

I am very much an outcomes based person.  Its about the result, not the process.  I have to work hard to be patient.

My elder daughter, on the other hand, is a process person and she wouldn't mind at all.  This makes her brilliant with animals, but she finds planning and time management challenging.

Edited by Hannah
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I wouldn’t go to that kind of trouble to get rid of a $3.00 item. 

I hate throwing things away. I have just done a major decluttering spree and have gone to ridiculous lengths to place the items with people who can use them. People want all kinds of odd items, for crafts or homeschooling purposes. And free is much more likely to find a taker. I currently have a box with beads, origami paper and miscellaneous old posters waiting to be picked up.

• Like 1

I'm going to toss it. The guttural vehemence of the anti-donate crowd has convinced me. It's a little sad, though. White Mountain makes such nice puzzles.  I spend HOURS on it and genuinely enjoyed myself.

Thanks for the answers!

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, scholastica said:

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would think there could be a low-stakes debate in the Hive. I'm pretty sure that's an existential impossibility. 

And really, would you want to eat a cupcake with 1 missing ingredient?

Or wear a kilt with a missing piece of fabric?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, poppy said:

I'm going to toss it. The guttural vehemence of the anti-donate crowd has convinced me. It's a little sad, though. White Mountain makes such nice puzzles.  I spend HOURS on it and genuinely enjoyed myself.

Thanks for the answers!

Nooooooooo!!!!!

Edited by happi duck

3 hours ago, unsinkable said:

I would burn it in an ashtray, one piece at a time, one piece per day.

Will this ritual help put the pieces of my life in order or doom me to always be missing one piece?  

Signed: happi duck who can't get her life together and is willing to try almost anything at this point

• Haha 3

My daughters volunteer at a thrift store where one of their tasks is to check to make sure all the pieces are in donated games. They also put together puzzles to verify all the pieces are there. If there is even one piece missing, they are instructed to discard it. (Lots & lots of things end up in the dumpster. It is amazing the state of the trash people donate!)

We actually have a cute Cats puzzle here that was missing a piece. Saved it from going into the dumpster.... So, I agree w/not sending it back to the thrift store.

18 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Will this ritual help put the pieces of my life in order or doom me to always be missing one piece?  

Signed: happi duck who can't get her life together and is willing to try almost anything at this point

With our luck, if we did that, the smoke from the burning puzzle pieces would be highly toxic.

And we’d spill the ashes on the rug and make a big mess.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

My daughters volunteer at a thrift store where one of their tasks is to check to make sure all the pieces are in donated games. They also put together puzzles to verify all the pieces are there. If there is even one piece missing, they are instructed to discard it. (Lots & lots of things end up in the dumpster. It is amazing the state of the trash people donate!)

We actually have a cute Cats puzzle here that was missing a piece. Saved it from going into the dumpster.... So, I agree w/not sending it back to the thrift store.

That’s great that they make sure all of the game and puzzle pieces are in the boxes before they sell them! 

• Like 2

We had a puzzle with a piece missing and when we assembled it we used bright nail polish to paint the edges where the missing piece would have attached so the next time we did the puzzle we knew not to bother looking for the piece that attached to the hot pink edges.  We used to pass puzzles around our family- both my sisters enjoyed them- and we didn’t want to toss a puzzle just because one piece was missing.  An index card in the box explained it- and that puzzle made the rounds through sisters and nephews and grandkids. 

• Like 3

I'd try freecycling before tossing - as mentioned, some people don't mind missing pieces and others might use puzzle pieces for crafts and the like. But yes, write the company and ask for a replacement! I've done that before as well, and they're usually happy to help.

12 hours ago, happi duck said:

We are currently finishing a tough, to me, puzzle of a Van Gogh.  Now I can't wait to finish it and start a new puzzle!

Do you have your new one picked out yet? Maybe we should start linking some of our favorite puzzles on this thread. ?? 

ETA:  Here’s the one my DSs and I are working on right now. It has actually been a pretty good one!

https://smile.amazon.com/MasterPieces-NFL-Map-Puzzle-500-Piece/dp/B0168ZMUJ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534519955&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=nfl+puzzle&psc=1

Edited by mmasc
Add link
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Do you have your new one picked out yet? Maybe we should start linking some of our favorite puzzles on this thread. ?? 

ETA:  Here’s the one my DSs and I are working on right now. It has actually been a pretty good one!

https://smile.amazon.com/MasterPieces-NFL-Map-Puzzle-500-Piece/dp/B0168ZMUJ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534519955&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=nfl+puzzle&psc=1

That puzzle has my two favorite teams on it!  I don't follow football closely but I have a fondness for it because my late dad and late sister both loved it!  

I usually prefer no more than 750 pieces but we have a 1000 piece lined up next: https://www.amazon.com/Charley-Harper-Royale-Jigsaw-Puzzle/dp/B06XC77JQS?crid=HHLR1WESN97V&keywords=isle+royale+jigsaw+puzzle&qid=1534520209&sprefix=isle+royale+jigsaw+p&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1

I might grab a smaller one to do next instead.  Van Gogh Starry Night has been on the board so long that I'd like to do something quicker next!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

That cat one is cute! The other one looks pretty, but hard!? Thanks for the links. I love seeing what others are working on!

we might do this one next:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AUP8GK0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 

I prefer a bit more than 300, but I’m trying to hold my DSs’ interest and have them help. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I did a drive for a women's crisis shelter and I was shocked at what people thought would be acceptable to donate.  Old is fine.  Broken, badly stained or falling apart is not. If you would not HAND it to another human to use, do  not donate it to people in need.    It is worse than doing nothing, it gives a false sense of the amount of donated items, plus takes away time from people who SHOULD be sorting through usable goods.

• Like 3

I took a puzzle off of the free table at my library, and it turned out to be missing not one but six pieces.  I still enjoyed putting it together, and I passed it along to a friend, with the warning about missing pieces (and all the missing parts circled on the box).  She still wanted it.  Maybe don't give it to the thrift store but find a friend who doesn't mind missing pieces. 

ETA - If she hadn't wanted it, i would have thrown it away.  I wouldn't have donated it, though I always figure that when i buy a puzzle at a thrift store, missing pieces are a possibility.  If the prospect of a missing piece really ruins your puzzle experience, you probably shouldn't buy secondhand puzzles. ?

Edited by emba56
  • Like 3

On 8/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, mmasc said:

That cat one is cute! The other one looks pretty, but hard!? Thanks for the links. I love seeing what others are working on!

we might do this one next:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AUP8GK0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 

I prefer a bit more than 300, but I’m trying to hold my DSs’ interest and have them help. 

I think the 1000 piece puzzle I linked looks too hard but my family talked me into it because it's Charley Harper and Isle Royale.  I anticipate I'll get frustrated.

We are officially puzzle people...we bought a new coffee table today and the deciding factor was if the puzzle board fit!

• Like 2