Menu

homemade Christmas gifts ideas needed

HollyDay

Summer is the time I always make whatever it is we want to make for gifts.  This year I'm stumped.  I need a gift for MIL, and my dear aunt who just lost her husband.  Both ladies are elderly but still quite active and independent.  Both don't want "stuff."  They like receiving hand crafted items though.

In years past, I have knitted scarves, made quilts, made fleece tie blankets, pot holders/place mat sets, table runner sets, coaster sets, throw pillows, and felt Christmas ornaments. 

MIL said she can't possibly use any more scarves and she doesn't want any more ornaments.  She also lives in Europe so shipping is a consideration. 

My aunt isn't going to be hostessing holiday gatherings anymore.  It is a lot for her anyway, and with dear uncle gone, it is out of the question.  So, I don't want to send her table things anymore. I gave her a quilt 5 years ago and a tie blanket last year. 

So, what are some handmade ideas? 

Agreeing with the consumables. Especially when my grandmother got older, cooking was more of a chore.  So I would look into some of those meal/dessert in a mug type of things.  Or just other meals for a single portion of food easy for them to prepare. I did some reheatable freezers meals (of course that won't work for the one overseas)

• Like 2

Personally, I love crocheted dish clothes, I think they work far better than any I can buy. But I realize that might not be fancy enough for a Christmas give if you’ve given things like quilts in the past. Would they like homemade rice bags for aches and pains or just warmth, the ones you heat in the microwave? My mom has made them for us and my husband loves them. For myself, I wouldn’t like anything scented, so no soaps or candles, but you probably know them well enough to know their preferences.

If you think a gift is too small, compared to the awesome things you sent before, what about a kit?  Like a spa bath kit, with a special soap, bath bomb, handknit washcloth, etc?  You could make some of it and buy the pieces you didn't want to make. 

Another idea might be a food kit, like a really good pizza kit with hard cheese, homemade canned pasta sauce... that's no good for overseas. 

Thank you for bringing this up.  My kids need to start thinking about this (which means I need to think), because they usually make presents for a slew of aunts and uncles.

12 hours ago, Farrar said:

Crocheted kitchen scrub cloths are really one of the best kitchen items. Way better than sponges. And practical, so that's nice.

How about something personal like a small scrapbook or a frame photo collage?

Do you have a pattern?  Yarn suggestion?  There are so many different types of kitchen yarn now. 

13 hours ago, Frances said:

Personally, I love crocheted dish clothes, I think they work far better than any I can buy. But I realize that might not be fancy enough for a Christmas give if you’ve given things like quilts in the past. Would they like homemade rice bags for aches and pains or just warmth, the ones you heat in the microwave? My mom has made them for us and my husband loves them. For myself, I wouldn’t like anything scented, so no soaps or candles, but you probably know them well enough to know their preferences.

Do you have a pattern?  Yarn preference?

14 hours ago, Ethel Mertz said:

Could you knit/crochet a market (grocery) bag?

I thought about this for MIL a couple years ago.  I crocheted a dance bag for dd years ago from a market bag pattern.  We don't have a yarn store where we live, so I order online.  I guess in the business of everything, I forgot about it.  That was the year I did table runners for her.

One year when DH was laid off, I traced each of my children's hands onto beautiful scrapbook paper, and wrote out a verse for each child on the hand. I laminated them with contact paper, and tied them together with a pretty bow and gave them to my mom & grandma as an ornament (not a Christmas ornament, just a decorative bookmark type thing). They still have them.

Maybe DIY tea bags? 

I was going to suggest homemade coconut oil sugar scrub--I love it, and it's a snap to make. BUT with elderly folks, you probably don't want anything that could make the tub slippery. 

Love the homemade vanilla idea. 

I have also seen an apron that has a favorite recipe printed on it, but it's more of a thing you give a younger person (it is cool, tho--you transfer the recipe in the person's handwriting). 

I guess I'm not much help! lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

Bath salts! Someone made these once and gave them out. Another has been hot cocoa mixes.

I do this for local friends.  But, I don't want to mail or ship them. 

An IRL gf does infused olive oil in pretty containers.  Really nice gift!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Farrar said:

Crocheted kitchen scrub cloths are really one of the best kitchen items. Way better than sponges. And practical, so that's nice....

I absolutely ADORE those things. Make them from cotton. Anybody who gives me one of those is on my “best gift giver” list. ?

I like to give jams and fruit butters. Pickles and salsa, maybe, but everyone likes the fruits. 

Ravelry has a load of patterns for crocheted and knitted dishcloths.

My advice:

When you give someone a COLORED crocheted/knitted dishcloth, tell them to wash the dishes with it a few times before laundering it.  Some colors of yarn bleed A LOT. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HollyDay said:

Do you have a pattern?  Yarn preference?

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

I wish I did have a pattern for the dish cloths! I don't crochet. I just have a couple of people who gift them to ME. ?

9 hours ago, Frances said:

Same here.

For patterns, just in general, Ravelry.com is your friend. 

I've made this one a few times and have taught it as a "crochet along" project: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/textured-dishcloth-5

It's not super fancy, but it's pretty and functional. One of my co-workers crochets stacks of dishcloths in a variety of colors throughout the year while watching TV in the evening, then parcels them out as holiday gifts. He ties three or four cloths and a cake of homemade soap together with a pretty ribbon. Supposedly, he's tried to skip a year or two and been told sternly that he is not allowed to do so. 

For a knitted option -- I'm not sure this is the exact pattern I've used, but it's similar: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/basket-weave-dishcloth-13

9 hours ago, Annie G said:

So envious of you guys who can crochet dishcloths. My sister has tried a dozen times to teach me but I think I’m too high strung. a 12” dischcloth ends up about 4” because I crochet so tightly. 

I have a couple of dishcloths sitting here that I finished that need a home. ?

• Like 1

Not along the lines you were thinking, but how about a small journal or such with memories of times shared, perhaps photos, and a note of gratitude on how they've added to your life, things they've shared with you or taught you.  My folks always love this kind of stuff.  Us girls and our grown kids (okay--my sister built the book after we all sent our input) put together a photo book of their/our lives together for their 60th anniversary with lots of single liners from growing up with them, lines we associated with them that all our family recognized.  They have always loved the mushy' thank you for teaching me whatever as I was growing up' notes/letters over the years, too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Annie G said:

That’s really sweet...I just really wish *I* could make them so I could give them away.  

That's what craft fairs are for.  ;)  No one needs to know where the handmade item really came from.  lol

2 hours ago, Annie G said:

That’s really sweet...I just really wish *I* could make them so I could give them away.  

Youtube is how I learned to knit. Dishcloths are great because they're such a small project you can finish them fast. They are usable finished projects. And if you mess up who cares since you're just using them to clean!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashfern said:

Youtube is how I learned to knit. Dishcloths are great because they're such a small project you can finish them fast. They are usable finished projects. And if you mess up who cares since you're just using them to clean!

It’s easy to tell which ones I made and which my sister made. Mine start out 12” wide but soon tighten to about 5”. It’s almost comical, but not quite because I really would enjoy sitting around in the evenings making them while watching tv or talking to ds.  Maybe I’ll give it another shot..l am noticeably more laid back than I used to be. 

15 hours ago, Tina said:

That's what craft fairs are for.  ? No one needs to know where the handmade item really came from.  lol

My LYS sells their outdated 'store sample garments' for less than the price of the yarn, with a little note that says, "We'll never tell!"  I scored a gorgeous beaded silk scarf that way.  

• Like 1

I like to knit log cabin baby blankets or throws from Lion brand Homespun yarn--the varigated colors work the best because the results look so complicated.

Pattern is from 'Urban Knits' which is old enough to be in lots of libraries.  It couldn't be simpler.

Plus although I don't really like synthetics usually, this particular one is truly soft, not plasticky feeling, and it washes and dries beautifully so it's very easy care.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:50 PM, Annie G said:

It’s easy to tell which ones I made and which my sister made. Mine start out 12” wide but soon tighten to about 5”. It’s almost comical, but not quite because I really would enjoy sitting around in the evenings making them while watching tv or talking to ds.  Maybe I’ll give it another shot..l am noticeably more laid back than I used to be. 

Just use bigger needles! It automatically increases the gauge.