Menu

Daily sunscreen?

Chris in VA

I use different mineral sunscreens such as Clinique Body that can be used on the face, Australian Gold which is cheap and works well, Josie Maran, more on the expensive side, La Roche Posey, Paula's Choice, etc. All of them are fine, but I find Josie Maran better for dry skin or on hands. Burt's Bee is too thick for hands. 

ETA: I can only use physical sunscreens, allergic to chemical ones.

• Like 1

Australian Gold spf 50 is what I use and love. I searched for several years and tried so many facial sunscreens that either were greasy or made me look ghostly or had a weird scent - ugh. I was thrilled when I found this one. It's tinted and I wasn't sure I would like that but it doesn't really give my face any color - I think it is there to make me not look pasty. ? 

I have to order it from amazon as I haven't been able to find it at my local stores.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mothersweets said:

Australian Gold spf 50 is what I use and love. I searched for several years and tried so many facial sunscreens that either were greasy or made me look ghostly or had a weird scent - ugh. I was thrilled when I found this one. It's tinted and I wasn't sure I would like that but it doesn't really give my face any color - I think it is there to make me not look pasty. ? 

I have to order it from amazon as I haven't been able to find it at my local stores.

I also just bought this one and it is amazing! I bought it because it was recommended here:

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Terabith said:

How does this work, practically speaking?  My understanding is that sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2 hours or so.  Do people actually do this???

For some people who can't really apply every 2 hours because of makeup or whatever, they could use sunscreen powder that is in a container with a brush at the end. 

21 minutes ago, Terabith said:

How does this work, practically speaking?  My understanding is that sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2 hours or so.  Do people actually do this???

I put sunscreen on when I first get ready for the day, it’s in my face lotion. Then if I’m going outside, I do reapply. My grandfather has had skin cancer and both my FIL and my husband recently had pre-cancerous cells removed from their faces and ears. I’ve always been careful with sunscreen because I’m fair skinned, but my husband’s spots were a wake-up call to continue to be vigilant, especially with my children. 

26 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I’ve wondered about this, too.  I read in women’s magazines, “Use a moisturizer in the morning that has sunscreen.”  Yeah...if you put it on at 7:00 a.m., it’s no good by 9:00 a.m.  I never really understood that advice, unless everyone really is putting more on every 2 hours all day.  And maybe they are!  The moisturizer that I use in the morning does have sunscreen, but I don’t count on it to actually protect me from the sun.  I use it because my face feels dried out after I shower.  (I use the walmart knockoff brand of Oil of Olay.)

I burn like a vampire in the sun, so on the rare occassions when I step outside, I slather myself with a ton of sunblock, but I don’t wear it every day.  Just the few times when I’m outside in the summer.  And then I end up getting the baby kind, because otherwise it makes my eyes burn.

I put sunblock on my left arm when I’m driving and both hands.  The sun will sizzle down on me when I’m in the car, but my face is in shadow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

For some people who can't really apply every 2 hours because of makeup or whatever, they could use sunscreen powder that is in a container with a brush at the end. 

We used this for touch-ups and hair parts on our Disney trip last year (no sunburns): https://www.amazon.com/Brush-Block-Sunscreen-Spectrum-Translucent/dp/B00K1LQXWC/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi&th=1

(But I don't think I paid that much....)

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

I put sunscreen on when I first get ready for the day, it’s in my face lotion. Then if I’m going outside, I do reapply. My grandfather has had skin cancer and both my FIL and my husband recently had pre-cancerous cells removed from their faces and ears. I’ve always been careful with sunscreen because I’m fair skinned, but my husband’s spots were a wake-up call to continue to be vigilant, especially with my children. 

So, do you put sunscreen on your children in the morning and then again when going outside?  We are very fair skinned in our house, and we wear sunscreen if we're going to be outside for any extended period of time (trip to the park, pool, even outdoor market), but don't put it on in the morning, let alone every two hours all day.

17 minutes ago, Terabith said:

So, do you put sunscreen on your children in the morning and then again when going outside?  We are very fair skinned in our house, and we wear sunscreen if we're going to be outside for any extended period of time (trip to the park, pool, even outdoor market), but don't put it on in the morning, let alone every two hours all day.

Ideally I would put it on the kids first thing but the reality is that doesn’t happen. I do put it on them anytime they go outside and  reapply about every 2 hours. I use a waterproof sunscreen (I think it’s Banana Boat) that doesn’t seem to wear off unless they are sweating a lot or swimming so I don’t stress too much if they are at the park and we will be leaving in 30 minutes and I technically should be reapplying. 

• Like 1

I started using Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30 Face lotion a few months ago on my face and neck and have been very happy with it. It is a non-irritating, mostly odorless physical sunblock that is very light and doesn't leave me white. I use Eucerin cream on my extremely sensitive skin and wear this over that and I'm thrilled that it doesn't irritate my skin. I don't use it on my arms but I think you could--you would just go through it a lot faster. A big plus for me was that it was about $8 and available at Target.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mothersweets said:

This is what I was going to recommend too! I just found it about a month ago and it’s the only sunscreen I’ve ever been able to wear on my face every day. They make a non-tinted one that I will probably buy to use on my décolletage , arms, and hands. But the tinted is fine on those places too. I just prefer no tint for arms. 

I bought mine locally at Ulta, but the current amazon price is better. 

ETA: I also bought it because of the video linked above! And I only found the video because the Hive recommended her. ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

I need a recommendation for a daily sunscreen I can apply to my face, arms/hands, decolletage--something not greasy that doesn't smell like I'm going to the beach. Any suggestions?

I wear Neutrogena Ultra-sheer on everything except my face. Every sunscreen product burns my eyes, so I wear hats when I go out. Anyway. Neutrogena is pretty good.

4 hours ago, Garga said:

I’ve wondered about this, too.  I read in women’s magazines, “Use a moisturizer in the morning that has sunscreen.”  Yeah...if you put it on at 7:00 a.m., it’s no good by 9:00 a.m.  I never really understood that advice, unless everyone really is putting more on every 2 hours all day.  And maybe they are!  The moisturizer that I use in the morning does have sunscreen, but I don’t count on it to actually protect me from the sun.  I use it because my face feels dried out after I shower.  (I use the walmart knockoff brand of Oil of Olay.)

I burn like a vampire in the sun, so on the rare occassions when I step outside, I slather myself with a ton of sunblock, but I don’t wear it every day.  Just the few times when I’m outside in the summer.  And then I end up getting the baby kind, because otherwise it makes my eyes burn.

I put sunblock on my left arm when I’m driving and both hands.  The sun will sizzle down on me when I’m in the car, but my face is in shadow.

This is why I prefer sunscreens with zinc oxide. They aren't metabolized as quickly as chemical sunscreens--especially avobenzone which can degrade in sunlight without the right balance of ingredients. Plus zinc oxide is the best option for UVA rays. It's important to know that the spf rating tells you NOTHING about how much UVA protection you are getting. It only measures protection against UVB (burning rays).  UVA increasingly is being recognized as the greater threat--not only for aging but cancer. So yeah, I'll stick with the zinc oxide. I just don't trust avobenzone. 

I'm using this Cerave lotion right now. Yes, it does leave a whitish cast to your skin, but I deal with it. Zinc oxide is worth it to get the protection. You want at a minimum 7-8 % zinc oxide. I used to use Shiseido that I picked up at TJ Maxx, and it had a lot of zinc oxide in it. It was my favorite, but it's pricey. 

I wish we had easy access to ingredients in European sunscreens like Tinosorb or Mexoryl. They are effective UVA screens, too, and they don't whiten your skin.

Sunscreen is a special interest of mine. ? My twins are super fair--blonde and blue eyed. They don't tan at all. So I started researching all this when they were still toddlers. I actually used to order Ombrelle sunscreen (a Loreal brand) out of Canada each year before our beach trips because it has Mexoryl in it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

I never put sunscreen on my kids daily--unless we were going to the zoo or park or a ball game--some extended outdoors event. My thoughts are...there has to be a balance. We do need SOME sun for vitamin D. :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Desert Strawberry said:

I like Alba and Drunk Elephant. Both physical sunscreens that last and moisturize. My skin looks much better since I started using them.

Whattttt???? The Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer has 20 % zinc oxide! lol I had never heard of this brand. Thank you! Is the Umbra Sheer what you use?

1 hour ago, stephensgirls said:

Whattttt???? The Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer has 20 % zinc oxide! lol I had never heard of this brand. Thank you! Is the Umbra Sheer what you use?

Yes. It was recommended to me at Sephora to use as a face cream and moisturizer. I don't use any kind of foundation or face powder. I didn't even know it was sunblock until I finished the sample and went to order more. Don't use the tinted one. It's awful.

I prefer Alba though. It's cheaper and much more moisturizing. 

I don't like sunscreen on my face because it tends to flare my rosacea.I do wear it in specific circumstances, but not every day.  I had basal cell carcinoma on my neck (right below adam's apple area).  When my dermatologist and I were talking about it, he said that it wouldn't have mattered if I wore sunscreen  on my face/neck or not, because it likely wouldn't have been effective when I was in the sun anyways.  So, like others here are saying....consider if and when you need to apply sunscreen, because it may not be effective when you think it is. 

For non beach days, I use a B.B. creme for my face (erborian).

for major sunshine, anthelios cream (I go between tinted or not). There’s a creamy and milk version. Anthelios is now sold in the US but I’m not sure it’s the same formulation as what I’m used to so I import.

eta that I see some version of anthelios already recomended up thread

Lately I've been trying SPF 50 Bare Republic Mineral Sunscreen Lotion.  I think it was $8-10ish at Target.  It has a faint carrot oil smell that reminds me of my favorite banana boat tanning oil when I was young but it's not that coconut oil or cocoa butter scent that screams sunblock. It's 5.6% Titanium Dioxide and 3.7% Zinc Oxide.  I cannot see it on my skin or under foundation. I don't reapply during a normal day, though I might if I was going to be outside for hours without a hat.

Following this closely.  I have vitiligo that is now on my face.  

I hate feeling greasy and break ours but I need to be more vigilant with my face now.  

Last year my mom got me CeraVe sunscreen. I think spf 100.  It was thick going on and if I didn't run it in good had a whitish look for a little bit. But it was not greasy and didn't feel bad.

For the rest of my body I use a dry spray sunscreen

The only sunscreen I've found that works for my acne prone and sensitive skin is CeraVe Ultra-Light Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 30 for normal to oily skin! I am so thankful I found this and buy it inexpensively it at Walmart. Give it a try if you struggle with sunscreen clogging your pores and causing breakouts.

I've also found that applying hyaluronic acid before applying any lotion as well as sunscreen and makeup has significantly reduced clogged pores for me. I buy it cheaply from Trader Joe's. I'm totally addicted to this stuff!

https://www.beautypedia.com/skin-care-reviews/by-brand/cerave/_/ultra-light-moisturizing-lotion-with-sunscreen-spf-30

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I just bought that CeraVe Ultra-Light. It is pretty good. 

I also use Etude House Sunprise. We love the smell - this is the only sunscreen that oldest DD will tolerate (feel and smell). 

I'm glad you like it! Finding a sunscreen for my skin type that wasn't crazy expensive has been a relief. I am still looking for something with higher SPF and more staying power for the summer or for days when I'm in the sun a lot since I'm not that good about reapplying and wear make occasionally. That would be great to find too. For now, I just wear a hat a lot. 

This one is a feather-light liquid that soaks right in and disappears, and doesn't smell.  If you want it to be moisturizing too, then I recommend this one.  But I will warn you, these are a little pricey - at least within the parameters of my budget.  But I use them anyway (CLEAR in the summer and Moisture Boost in the winter) because I can put them on under my makeup and they don't feel heavy or greasy or sticky -- put another way, they don't feel/smell like sunscreen at all.

Physical barriers don't necessarily need to be reapplied every 2 hours. It's the chemical barriers that degrade in the sun. Zinc is the best UVA protection we have in the US. I also recommend the Paula's Choice sunscreens. Oh, physical barriers also don't sting eyes or irritate rosacea which I have. I like to watch the videos from the above posted youtuber along with Dr. Dray youtube videos. I reapply based on what I'm doing that day. 

• Like 1

Since there are some recs for Paula's Choice, I just want to add another view.  I use several PC products, but the one lotion/sunscreen I tried reeked of "the beach."  But I'm pretty sensitive to smells (I hate typical sunscreen odors). (I think it was the RESIST ultra light tinted or something like that.)

Sunscreen should be the last resort after staying in the shade, covering up (or wearing SPF swim gear), hats, etc. Sunscreens prevent sunburn, but they can also have negative effects because of the other ingredients. Stressful! I wish there was a mineral sunscreen that could be used on the face that isn't super thick and white. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 3:06 PM, Mothersweets said:

I just wanted to say I found it dirt cheap today at a store called Five Below. Everything there is $5 or under. 

• Like 2

Winter on the left and summer on the right. Even without reapplying this gives me a LOT more protection than I have naturally.

If I’m out in the sun ALL day I’m more careful about reapplying or staying in the shade, but this gets me through most days.  

When my kids were little and we lived at the pool I put their sunscreen on before they got dressed in the morning then reapplied roughly every other hour.

people say it’s a myth, but a higher SPF really works better for me. I can burn through 15 and sometimes 30 if I’m out in the sun but 50 or higher keeps me protected. It could be that it’s thicker, or that I’m so pale (freckled redhead) that every little bit counts, but I do see a difference.  My kids see less of a difference with the spf, but they don’t have my skin.

0B576569-8F36-4301-9F2D-458454FFB2CF.thumb.jpeg.a9212de699454e6c1f2ac59475c8969e.jpeg

• Like 1