Menu

I really just want to eat ice cream all day/every day - what is wrong with me?

Kassia

Title pretty much says it all.  I've been under a lot of stress lately - physically and emotionally - and all I want to do is eat ice cream.  I have some every day, but it's never enough. Sometimes I binge on it and it's still not enough.  I do have a long history of disordered eating and I am a compulsive exerciser, but I am not underweight at all.  I can't gain weight because I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe. I don't know what to do with myself.  Is this just a discipline problem or is something wrong with me mentally or physically?  Help!  

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Is your craving helped at all by having other dairy sources?  

I eat cheese and yogurt every day.  They are delicious, but they don't satisfy my craving for ice cream.  That reminds me that I do have reflux so maybe I crave the ice cream more because it's so cold and creamy?  I don't know.  It's so frustrating.  

stress drives up your cortisol levels.  adrenal support - that's where sugar cravings can come from.

good quality b-vitamins

I also take a cortisol cocktail of

1. ashwaghanda
  2. relora
  3. l-theanine
  4. jujube fruit (it helps me when I have adrenaline shakes)

there are good adrenal support sups.  I'm allergic to eugenol (which is in Holy Basil leaf) so I have to avoid it.  otherwise, it can be very helpful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sandra said:

Somewhere i heard that ice cream craving can actually be thirst, misinterpreted.  Perhaps you need to drink some water or Gatorade?  It’s worth a try. 

I drink a LOT already.  

54 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Are you craving other sugary things, or just ice cream?

I have a terrible sweet tooth, but I can pass up other sweets most of the time.  It's just the ice cream that I crave so much. 

3 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Sugar cravings are often symptoms of magnesium deficiency. Eat your ice cream with crushed pepitas.

I do take a magnesium supplement in the hope that it helps me sleep better.  

From just the title I was going to jokingly suggest it’s completely normal. I would love to eat just ice cream! 

Could you go for a walk around the block, file some papers, or fold a load of laundry whenever the craving hits? Just something that will distract you long enough for the craving to not feel quite some powerful?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rachel said:

Could you go for a walk around the block, file some papers, or fold a load of laundry whenever the craving hits? Just something that will distract you long enough for the craving to not feel quite some powerful?

That's what I try to do and it works most of the time.  I just don't understand why I crave it so much.  When I go to the grocery store I'm practically drooling in the freezer aisle.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

That's what I try to do and it works most of the time.  I just don't understand why I crave it so much.  When I go to the grocery store I'm practically drooling in the freezer aisle.  

Sugar is addictive, 

I know I’m not qualified to offer any real solutions though. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Kassia said:

This sounds beyond craving to me. I'd consider talking to my doctor and maybe getting some lab work done. There are also antidepressants that also help with binge eating, so that is another option if you are feeling overwhelmed emotionally and having eating issues. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

This sounds beyond craving to me. I'd consider talking to my doctor and maybe getting some lab work done. There are also antidepressants that also help with binge eating, so that is another option if you are feeling overwhelmed emotionally and having eating issues. 

Back in the 90s I was anorexic and starting to lose control and had binge-eating episodes.  I talked to my doctor at the time and she prescribed Prozac.  It was amazing - the urges stopped very quickly.  Unfortunately, the effects of the drug wore off and I went back to binging after that.  But it really opened my eyes to willpower vs. brain chemistry - if I responded that well to the meds, it had to be more than just an issue of willpower.  I don't have a good family doctor now and I have other medical issues that need to be taken care of ASAP (I'm having major surgery soon) so I can't really get medical help for this now.  

• Like 2

Well, some say that cravings can belie an intolerance; are you lactose intolerant? FWIW, I am, and the only dessert goody  I really craved was ice cream. Cookies, cake, candy, etc., are usually sorts of takeit/leave it for me, but ice cream calls my name. 

I’m kinda over it now, though. 

• Like 1

I'd suggest reading the first part of the book Bright Line Eating by Susan Peirce Thompson. Don't read it for the diet, if that doesn't interest you, but read it for the science.  The author, does a really fantastic job in explaining sugar addiction and why it's not just a matter of will power. 

From the Introduction: In this book, Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. shares the groundbreaking weight-loss solution based on her highly acclaimed Bright Line Eating Boot Camps. Rooted in cutting-edge neuroscience, psychology, and biology, Bright Line Eating explains why people who are desperate to lose weight fail again and again: it’s because the brain blocks weight loss.

About the author: Susan Peirce Thompson, Ph.D. is an Adjunct Associate Professor of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at the University of Rochester and an expert in the psychology of eating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Quill said:

Well, some say that cravings can belie an intolerance; are you lactose intolerant? FWIW, I am, and the only dessert goody  I really craved was ice cream. Cookies, cake, candy, etc., are usually sorts of takeit/leave it for me, but ice cream calls my name. 

I’m kinda over it now, though. 

I'm not lactose intolerant and am hoping to get over this crazy craving for ice cream all the time!  

• Like 1

Are you pregnant?

I never like ice cream all that much, but while I was pregnant and nursing I had extreme cravings and would eat ice cream with a big spoon straight from the carton every single day. I think my body craved the extra calories and calcium, and I listened to it and indulged the cravings. They vanished immediately when I stopped nursing, so i am sure I had them for a good reason.

• Like 3

If Prozac worked before, and now you're under a lot of stress (and going for surgery!) then it seems likely that it's the same issue rearing its ugly head again.

If you can't go on meds right now, can you do an end-run around this? Don't go to the store, don't handle cash, don't let anybody bring any of your trigger foods into the house?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

If you can't go on meds right now, can you do an end-run around this? Don't go to the store, don't handle cash, don't let anybody bring any of your trigger foods into the house?

Too late!  :p  It's so complicated.  I worry about restricting and feeling deprived if I don't allow myself some ice cream, which could just set me off into binging on it or something else eventually.  I try to buy things like ice cream bars because they are portion controlled so I can have ice cream without the compulsion to keep eating until the package is gone.  I always want to go back for more, but it's easier to stop when they are in single-serve packages.  

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Are you pregnant?

I never like ice cream all that much, but while I was pregnant and nursing I had extreme cravings and would eat ice cream with a big spoon straight from the carton every single day. I think my body craved the extra calories and calcium, and I listened to it and indulged the cravings. They vanished immediately when I stopped nursing, so i am sure I had them for a good reason.

Definitely not pregnant.  It hadn't even occurred to me, but it was a good thought!  I had really weird cravings in the early stages of my pregnancies and, like yours, they were probably due to my body needing certain vitamins/minerals/macronutrients.  

If it's just a few weeks or less until surgery, my advice is to just enjoy the ice cream until you can resume taking the medication. 

However, if the ice cream consumption is upsetting you (and it sounds so), then you might consider calling the surgeon, explain what is going on, and ask if you can resume taking this one med.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, trulycrabby said:

If it's just a few weeks or less until surgery, my advice is to just enjoy the ice cream until you can resume taking the medication. 

However, if the ice cream consumption is upsetting you (and it sounds so), then you might consider calling the surgeon, explain what is going on, and ask if you can resume taking this one med.

Surgery is about a month away.  Kind of a long story, but we are leaving for vacation soon and my surgeon felt that it was too risky for me to leave the country too soon after surgery so he advised me to wait until after we return.  My doctor freaked out and said it's not safe for me to leave the country without having the surgery first because I'm at high risk for a medical emergency.  That's a big part of the stress I am under now.  :(  Nonrefundable trip and my adult kids are meeting us for a family vacation.  There's no way I'm going to miss that "just in case" something bad happens.  

I would look to other things than food to deal with the stress. Exercise and laughter are both great ways to get some of those naturally occurring endorphins. Getting outside in the fresh air in some woods is also great for dealing with stress. Deep breathing is great as well. Spending time visiting with friends can be helpful, too.

Though ice cream may seem like an easy go-to "fix" for stress, it isn't really effective. Not only that, but it can result in more negative effects. 

• Thanks 1

That's easy to say, wintermom, but given what else she's said on this subject I think it's maybe not so helpful. She knows all that, but she has a psychological/medical condition that makes it hard for her to simply choose to do something else. And being told "Well, just make better choices" might actually be counterproductive and even harmful for some people with similar issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I would look to other things than food to deal with the stress. Exercise and laughter are both great ways to get some of those naturally occurring endorphins. Getting outside in the fresh air in some woods is also great for dealing with stress. Deep breathing is great as well. Spending time visiting with friends can be helpful, too.

Though ice cream may seem like an easy go-to "fix" for stress, it isn't really effective. Not only that, but it can result in more negative effects. 

I do all of that!  I run almost every day and take a walk with DH, etc.  But then I still want the ice cream.  :p  But physical activity does help me deal with stress a lot.  OTOH, I'm a compulsive exerciser so I need to watch that.  

44 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

That's easy to say, wintermom, but given what else she's said on this subject I think it's maybe not so helpful. She knows all that, but she has a psychological/medical condition that makes it hard for her to simply choose to do something else. And being told "Well, just make better choices" might actually be counterproductive and even harmful for some people with similar issues.

Thank you.  I do think people who have not struggled with issues like this don't completely understand.  For example, when you see those food substitution charts that say to eat carrot sticks instead of potato chips.  Do people really look at those charts and make those changes?  But, in any case, I appreciate that wintermom took the time to reply and help.  :)  I am always touched by the kindness of strangers on the internet who use their precious time to help others.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I wonder if it's the fats you are craving rather than the sugar ? Full fat Greek yoghurt works for me when my body seems to be craving fats. 

Beyond that, it sounds like a self soothing thing to deal with the anxiety and stress you are currently under. It's not just the sweetness and the mouth feel, but also the coldness - all three work together to distract and soothe. What about freezing ripe bananas (in chunks) - if you put some chunks in the food processor, and blend, you will get a cold, sweet, more nutritious and less calorie dense 'ice cream'. Chuck some frozen raspberries in if you don't like banana flavor. 

Yoga helps me with cravings - not super intense yoga, but restorative or yin yoga. 

Freezing bananas is a great idea.  I have a lot of recipes for banana ice cream, actually, but never made it before!  Thanks!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kassia said:

Definitely not pregnant.  It hadn't even occurred to me, but it was a good thought!  I had really weird cravings in the early stages of my pregnancies and, like yours, they were probably due to my body needing certain vitamins/minerals/macronutrients.  

Don't know your age but maybe early menopause?  Hormones are cruel beasts!!

Another thought is a microbial imbalance in the gut...sometimes those little microbes crave sugar and make us crave it, too.  And some certainly have a dairy affinity.  Maybe a stronger probiotic like you might take with antibiotics or a yeast infection??

7 hours ago, Janie Grace said:

Are you taking any allergy medicine? I just read that they can cause excessive hunger.

No meds, just supplements.  

6 hours ago, klmama said:

Have you had antibiotics recently?  Sometimes having unbalanced gut flora affects cravings.  You might consider adding a good probiotic to see if it helps.

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I don't know if that means there's something "wrong" with you, but the proximity of sweets doesn't help. Once I let a bad food into my house I lose most self control. If you don't think you should be eating the ice-cream, you may just have to go cold turkey or buy smaller portions/less often.

My go-to sweet treat if I want to feel less guilty is greek yogurt popsicles. I try not to buy them too often, though because I will find myself eating them daily.

I do tend to buy light ice cream or the really low-cal ice creams like Halo Top, Enlightened, etc.  I'm afraid to open a big container of ice cream because I know I'll keep going back for more until it's gone - all in one day.  

1 hour ago, Joules said:

Don't know your age but maybe early menopause?  Hormones are cruel beasts!!

Another thought is a microbial imbalance in the gut...sometimes those little microbes crave sugar and make us crave it, too.  And some certainly have a dairy affinity.  Maybe a stronger probiotic like you might take with antibiotics or a yeast infection??

I'm 50 and post-menopause already.  I will definitely try the probiotics! 

12 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I do tend to buy light ice cream or the really low-cal ice creams

That might be part of your problem. Take out the fat and you have to pack in more sugar. Take out the sugar too, and you've got to pack in artificial sweeteners instead and they do weird things to the body.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm the last person in the world to be anti-artificial sugar (here I sit sipping my coffee with Splenda :wink:), but . . . if I were craving ice cream I'd go for the real thing. That Halo stuff is pretty nasty and probably unlikely to resolve a craving for real ice cream. When DH was having trouble controlling his ice cream  intake I'd buy those twelve packs of individual cups. Around here Breyers and Blue Bunny are available. He preferred Blue Bunny.

Have you tried giving yourself permission to eat all the ice cream you want for a couple of days? Sometimes that will take care of a craving. But I'd get the good stuff. If you're eating ice cream and not much/nothing else you're not going to overdo calories all that much in a day or two. And it might get rid of the craving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

That might be part of your problem. Take out the fat and you have to pack in more sugar. Take out the sugar too, and you've got to pack in artificial sweeteners instead and they do weird things to the body.

Hmm...I consume a LOT of artificial sweeteners  Diet soda, yogurt, protein bars, my ice cream bars...

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm the last person in the world to be anti-artificial sugar (here I sit sipping my coffee with Splenda :wink:), but . . . if I were craving ice cream I'd go for the real thing. That Halo stuff is pretty nasty and probably unlikely to resolve a craving for real ice cream. When DH was having trouble controlling his ice cream  intake I'd buy those twelve packs of individual cups. Around here Breyers and Blue Bunny are available. He preferred Blue Bunny.

Have you tried giving yourself permission to eat all the ice cream you want for a couple of days? Sometimes that will take care of a craving. But I'd get the good stuff. If you're eating ice cream and not much/nothing else you're not going to overdo calories all that much in a day or two. And it might get rid of the craving.

I really like the Enlightened products, but they are very expensive so I only buy them when they are on sale.  I find them very satisfying - just as much as full-fat ice cream.  

I've thought about what you suggested about just allowing myself a few days of eating what I want.  That is often recommended for people with eating disorders with the thought that restriction or labeling foods as "bad" leads to binging.  We are going on vacation soon and I always relax my eating then and eat whatever/whenever I want and gain a lot of weight and then lose it gradually when I get home. This time I won't be able to do that since I'll be having surgery soon after we return and won't be able to get back to my normal diet/exercise routine.  

• Like 1

I am going to second (third?) the idea that if you are craving ice cream, you might find yourself satisfied if you eat real ice cream.

I would suggest going to the highest end ice cream shop in town and getting yourself a scoop of super premium. Then you won't need to fear that you'll pig out later (you won't have it in the freezer). I'd even tell yourself that you can go to ice cream every day if you want (you're not denying yourself). If you want ice cream enough to go to the highest end shop in town, go for it. Hey, people buy coffee daily and they justify it. Also, this isn't forever - just until your surgery or until you figure out if super premium is more satisfying than the low-fat stuff. This might test whether your body is craving fat.

FWIW, I find peanut butter really satisfying because it has enough fat to satiate me. Fat has an important role in making you feel full and satisfied.

Emily

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

I am going to second (third?) the idea that if you are craving ice cream, you might find yourself satisfied if you eat real ice cream.

I would suggest going to the highest end ice cream shop in town and getting yourself a scoop of super premium. Then you won't need to fear that you'll pig out later (you won't have it in the freezer). I'd even tell yourself that you can go to ice cream every day if you want (you're not denying yourself). If you want ice cream enough to go to the highest end shop in town, go for it. Hey, people buy coffee daily and they justify it. Also, this isn't forever - just until your surgery or until you figure out if super premium is more satisfying than the low-fat stuff. This might test whether your body is craving fat.

FWIW, I find peanut butter really satisfying because it has enough fat to satiate me. Fat has an important role in making you feel full and satisfied.

Emily

Oh, I love peanut butter.  DH and I do go to Dairy Queen for Blizzard dates quite often and that never satisfies me for some reason.  Is that full-fat ice cream there?  

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

Hmm...I consume a LOT of artificial sweeteners  Diet soda, yogurt, protein bars, my ice cream bars...

It doesn't seem to be true for everybody, but for a LOT of people, artificial sweeteners make us eat way too much. They spike and then crash our blood sugar and also make us crave the junk foods that contain them, like diet coke. Before you decide you are in a lot of trouble hormonally or emotionally or whatever, try going "whole foods" for about 30 days. If you want ice cream during that time, make homemade with real ingredients and see if it's still even remotely possible to want a lot of it. 

This is a BTDT post.

• Like 2

Have you ever had coconut milk with chia seeds?  It turns into a thick pudding.  I wonder if something like that would satisfy your craving.  It's cold and dense.  

Or coconut mango rice is another thing that satisfies that certain sweet craving I sometimes have too.

Another thought...  Are you eating enough of other (meat, veggies, etc.) things?  Because I've found that when I'm hungry, then my cravings take over.  

And yet another thought...  Do you enjoy food?  I never did.  Eating was just something I had to do.  I never really sat around thinking about what I wanted to eat.  Except for whatever "craving" happened to come to mind.

Then, I learned how to cook good food.  Such as delicious oven-roasted vegetables instead of soggy over-steamed ones.  In the last five years, I've finally learned how to cook good food and now I actually crave healthy food.  It has been eye-opening for me.

19 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Oh, I love peanut butter.  DH and I do go to Dairy Queen for Blizzard dates quite often and that never satisfies me for some reason.  Is that full-fat ice cream there?  

Go to dairyqueen.com and check the ingredients for the things you like.  The list for the butterfinger blizzards starts with: artificially flavored vanilla reduced fat ice cream. 

• Like 1

My eating disorder when I was younger was exacerbated by all of my fat free artificial sweetened food. It creates worse cravings.  We only buy full fat all natural ice cream now. 

I did just read an article that found a possible link between binge eating and adhd.  Not sure if that resonates at all. I had more to say but it's been one of those days filled with interruptions galore!

It would be amazing if ice cream cravings were satisfied by full-fat ice cream, when she's been using the artificially sweetened ones to avoid gaining weight. OP, let us know if that works! (if you try it.)

I was just feeling really blah and tired and something yesterday... and I bought a chocolate milk for the first time in forever. I haven't even been eating dairy for months! It really satisfied whatever was going on though. My other choice was a greek yogurt. OP, vanilla greek yogurt is thick, creamy, and sweet, and like someone else suggested, might be an acceptable substitute for ice cream :)

59 minutes ago, Mainer said:

OP, vanilla greek yogurt is thick, creamy, and sweet, and like someone else suggested, might be an acceptable substitute for ice cream :)

I love vanilla Greek yogurt and eat it every day, but I eat the nonfat kind with artificial sweetener.  I do eat fats in other foods, though, and don't think fat is an issue for me.  If I log my food, I think my fat percentage is usually around 30% of my total calories.  

1 hour ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

My eating disorder when I was younger was exacerbated by all of my fat free artificial sweetened food. 

Are you recovered now?  (please ignore if that's too personal)  I've struggled with eating disorders and disordered eating for my entire life.  

2 hours ago, soror said:

I'm going to cast my vote with eating real ice cream. 

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2017/05/people-self-medicate-with-chunky-monkey.html

I also think it would be good to work on some stress relief in you can manage, working on getting plenty of sleep, some time to yourself, some kind of mindful activities.

I have chronic insomnia and never get enough sleep. 

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

Another thought...  Are you eating enough of other (meat, veggies, etc.) things?  Because I've found that when I'm hungry, then my cravings take over.  

And yet another thought...  Do you enjoy food?  I never did.  Eating was just something I had to do.  I never really sat around thinking about what I wanted to eat.  Except for whatever "craving" happened to come to mind.

I eat a lot of protein but no veggies.  I hate them.  Embarrassing, but true.  And I LOVE food.  I've been a big eater since I was a newborn.  My mother told me I would just suck down an entire bottle and howl for more.  The pediatrician had her start me on rice cereal when I was only 3 weeks old because formula didn't satisfy me.  My family loved telling stories about how much I would eat as a baby.  I don't seem to have any kind of satiety signal - I never feel full or satisfied.  I've always been in awe of people who leave food on their plate because they are full because I've never experienced that.  

Try Halo Top.  Some varieties are only 240 calories per pint.

Have you had your blood sugar tested lately?  When I was pregnant I was put on insulin for my previously diet-controlled type 2 diabetes.  When I got my fasting blood sugar below 95 for the first time since I was in my early 20's my appetite plummeted. I was no longer interested in ice cream, my previously favorite junk food. I could eat a tiny amount and be satisfied. I found it confusing because I thought insulin was supposed to make you more hungry and make you gain weight, but instead it was like my appetite was reset to the way it was before I spent a year on prednisone in my 20's. I read that sometimes it helps because even if your blood sugar was high, the fuel wasn't getting into your cells.  So my cells were putting out a "you're starving" signal even though I had plenty of food.  If I had a sudden need to eat more of my favorite sugar delivery system I'd probably assume something was up with my blood sugar and I'd get a current fasting & A1C number.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

Try Halo Top.  Some varieties are only 240 calories per pint.

Have you had your blood sugar tested lately?  When I was pregnant I was put on insulin for my previously diet-controlled type 2 diabetes.  When I got my fasting blood sugar below 95 for the first time since I was in my early 20's my appetite plummeted. I was no longer interested in ice cream, my previously favorite junk food. I could eat a tiny amount and be satisfied. I found it confusing because I thought insulin was supposed to make you more hungry and make you gain weight, but instead it was like my appetite was reset to the way it was before I spent a year on prednisone in my 20's. I read that sometimes it helps because even if your blood sugar was high, the fuel wasn't getting into your cells.  So my cells were putting out a "you're starving" signal even though I had plenty of food.  If I had a sudden need to eat more of my favorite sugar delivery system I'd probably assume something was up with my blood sugar and I'd get a current fasting & A1C number.

I like all of the low calorie ice cream pints except for Arctic Zero.  But they are expensive!  I do stock up on them when they are on sale. 

Interesting about the blood sugar.   I had a serum glucose test a few weeks ago and the number was 81, but that was after three days of no food (colonoscopy prep).  When it was taken last July, it was 116.  I'm not sure if that was fasting - I hadn't eaten for about ten hours at the time I think (I was in the ER when it was taken).  A1C last year was 5.7%, which matched with the 116 serum glucose - both put me right at the border of prediabetes.  

Ten hours does count as fasting.  If I were you I'd get a blood sugar monitor (choose the one with the cheapest test strips) and check in the morning (at least 8 hours since you last ate).  If it's still above 95 I'd just drink calorie free things until it was below 95 again, as long as you feel good (hungry is fine, sick is not).  My guess is a little stress triggered a craving for ice cream, and your blood sugar went high enough to trigger more hunger. When my blood sugar is acting right I feel hungry in the 70's or 80's.  When I've been eating too much junk I'm hungry above 140, when absolutely the last thing I need is food.

If you feel too rotten fasting you can always eat lean protein and veggies instead and slowly lower it over a couple of weeks, when fasting should be easier.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I have chronic insomnia and never get enough sleep. 

That's enough to cause binge eating. If you don't sleep, the only other way the body can grab for energy is food. Really, look up serotonin supporting foods and eat them. With ice-cream if necessary. Without enough serotonin, we get depressed and anxious. Then we can't sleep because melatonin is made from left over serotonin, but only if you have any left over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

Are you recovered now?  (please ignore if that's too personal)  I've struggled with eating disorders and disordered eating for my entire life. 

Kassia,

If this is truly a craving that you cannot ignore and that impacts your life in a negative manner I would consider if this problem is a manifestation of an eating disorder and speak to a counselor.  I hope you can overcome this issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SJ. said:

Kassia,

If this is truly a craving that you cannot ignore and that impacts your life in a negative manner I would consider if this problem is a manifestation of an eating disorder and speak to a counselor.  I hope you can overcome this issue. 

Thank you.  As I wrote earlier, I've struggled for my entire life and feel pretty hopeless that I'll ever be *normal.*  I just do the best I can to keep it under control so it doesn't take over my life.  It's not the ice cream - it's the body size/weight/exercise/food that I obsess over day and night (I frequently dream about food - last night it was Reese's cups).