Menu

What do you consider the primary purposes of libraries?

I've mentioned here many times that we're blessed with an excellent library system. The county branches and city library operate in sync with one another. The catalog holdings are vast. The facilities, at my branch in particular, are very good. In all of this, we are fortunate.

I've also said here before that I take issue with some aspects of my library. While I do appreciate being able to check out visual material, for example, I don't know that I'm comfortable with the library serving as a Blockbuster/Netflix substitute. I can't think of one time ~ not once ~ that I've searched for a movie in our library catalog and come up empty-handed. Lately, it seems like the moment a movie~ any movie ~ is released on DVD, a half dozen copies are on order. And then of course there are audio materials, by which I mean not necessarily books-on-tape, but CDs. Again, whatever's on the music market is available at the library. I'm left wondering how the dollars are alloted between printed and other materials.

Beyond the actual catalog, there are the Internet usage issues. Like many folks, I've used the library computers to access my email, this board, and so on. But increasingly, the computers are a place merely for kids to hang out in groups. During certain hours, the "quiet library" atmosphere is a rarity ~ and it seems some librarians are happy as clams about that. The goal is apparently to bring 'em in, regardless of what they're doing and how they're doing it.

So along those lines, the library has now purchased ~ get this ~ a Wii. Yep, you read that right. Posters hanging on the library doors and windows beckon teens to come to the library on given days and play Rockband on the Wii. Pizza-n-drinks will be served! Come one, come all!

What...? What am I missing? I try, in my own feeble way, to keep up with the times. Really I do. I'm not a complete Luddite. But I admit that in my heart of hearts, I want the library to be a place that promotes reading. When I spoke to the head of our branch about the Wii, I asked if we're operating a library or a community center. She said the library should be a community center. Well, I don't necessarily disagree with that in essence. I'm all for folks gathering at the library. But as she put it, some kids may not have access to a Wii at home, and the library was a "safe" place they could come use one. But...why? Why would the library of all places be providing that? And how does playing Rockband on the Wii further our library system's stated mission to "bring the joy of reading and access to the world of ideas to every resident in an open and enriching environment"?

Before I discuss this more with the PTB, I want to hear what others have to say. What do you consider the primary purpose of a library system? Thanks!

Edited by Colleen

I would be just as horrified as you if my library brought in a Wii!! Good heavens. Libraries are supposed to be quiet places where you can do research and find great books, movies, CDs, etc. I am really surprised that a library would think a Wii is a good choice. So sorry you have to deal with it.

Yep. We have a great movie selection and there is a Wii in our new library with a "teen" room because I suppose teens won't go in a library if you don't entertain them. :001_huh:

I admit I've never played a Wii. I'm one of those poor families who can't have one but my kids need a safe place to not play one but sit with a nice book in a quiet place. Oh well. It's a sign of the times. We do have quiet spots there.

Ok, I admit it's silly how many modern movies are available immediately at the library now, but I do like the educational films. They have all the Bill Nye and I'll admit to checking out old Get Smart DVDs.

Our library bought a Wii, too. The idea is to get teens into the library. I don't think it encourages anyone to check out and read books, though. Most kids here have their own Wiis, and if they don't, they can go to the community center to play on the one there.

DD's friend asked me yesterday why our family bothers to go to the library when we already own so many books. She was surprised when I told her we have already read the books we own. From what DD, her friends, and the librarians tell me, as well as from my observations, teens here go to the library to use the computers and hang out. Reading is not on their minds.

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

We also have a great library. I can understand why you would want to preserve the integrity of what a library is traditionally known for. But everything has to be hip now. Everything is cheapened. How about t.v. playing at the grocery store? YUK! It's like people can't just experience where they are, and be in the moment. What's wrong with the library being a peaceful, intelligent experience? It's good to have high standards in some places, no you can't drink a coke and eat chips in non-fiction. Elevate yourself once in a while. Have you seen the movie Idiocracy? That is our future.... scary stuff.

ps I use the library for books, music, and renting Moonstruck over and over and over :001_smile:

We also have a great library. I can understand why you would want to preserve the integrity of what a library is traditionally known for. But everything has to be hip now. Everything is cheapened. How about t.v. playing at the grocery store? YUK! It's like people can't just experience where they are, and be in the moment.:001_smile:

I hate the TV blaring the in reception areas. I bring a book, and it is hard to read with crashes and screams and moans.

My Luddite status was confirmed on Veteran's Day, when I took kiddo to the aquarium. There is one section still with various windows of differing tanks, but a huge part of it (this is not a "big" aquarium) has turned into a show for the kiddies....a plexiglass tube for jellyfish that you can get on the floor on your hands and knees and peer down into etc. There was so much "action" going on, it was hard to get kiddo to hold my hand and search the smaller, traditional tanks for inhabitants. That and the employee who was feeding animals talking in a melodramatic fashion like all the kids were 2 (seemed to be a 5-10 crowd) AND kept asking "are there any questions" and he couldn't answer one! We bumped into him at three different stations and he must have missed 20 questions (how fast can a puffin swim? How much does a puffin weigh? How many pounds of fish does the fur seal eat? Etc). But he was "happy and peppy and bursting with love".

I wish our library discouraged teens. It has made the park outside a hotbed of fights. More than once I've pulled kiddo off the jungle gym and left rather than watch two young women claw each other's faces and use bad language at full volume. :(

When I spoke to the head of our branch about the Wii, I asked if we're operating a library or a community center. She said the library should be a community center. Well, I don't necessarily disagree with that in essence. I'm all for folks gathering at the library. But as she put it, some kids may not have access to a Wii at home, and the library was a "safe" place they could come use one. But...why? Why would the library of all places be providing that? And how does playing Rockband on the Wii further our library system's stated mission to "bring the joy of reading and access to the world of ideas to every resident in an open and enriching environment"?

I'm not sure the library is the right place for that but, that said, where is? The sad fact is most comunities completely ignore their obligation to youth. Mine spends money on community beautification projects like hangng flower baskets from power poles but has never even entertained the idea of a youth center. It's like kids aren't a part of the community.

If the local library i starting up programs like the Wii thing then maybe it's because there's a vacuum of youth activities or services in you community and the librarian recognizes that?

My library bought a Wii too. I don't go to the library very often because it is so new and doesn't have a very good selections of books, yet. It is also very hard to be in the library with active dc aged 5,3 and 1. Anyway, I saw the advertisement for the Wii activities while in line to vote (that was were my precinct voted). But,

the Wii activities were for senior adults:lol::lol:!!

Can you tell I live in a desired retirement area?

Honestly, I like the idea of the library having all types of media; print, audio and visual. Although my family doesn't use the library often, I like the idea of a safe, free place kids can go that encourages reading. I like the idea of the library being a community center. More bang for our tax dollars!

I'm afraid that if our libraries didn't expand in various ways, they would die. I'm guessing it is a way to try to keep the doors open; especially since most research can be done on a computer. And, what is going to happen to the libraries when digital book readers are common everyday items? Unfortunately, I think libraries are really just trying to keep their doors open.

I wish our library discouraged teens.

This statement is very revealing.

I don't agree at ALL that by ignoring and excluding teenagers, we make our society a better place or somehow help them. I was a teenager once, and my children will be some day, and I have met extraordinary teens both in and out of the library, yet the depth of outright hostility towards their very existence is truly overwhelming.

The behavior you mentioned (fighting, swearing) should definitely be addressed, but it's very important to remember that it is not age-specific. Every age group has its problems -- babies cry and vomit, young children cry and pee on the floor, people of every age talk and leave things messy, some men expose themselves (has happened in several libraries that I frequent), some adults don't bathe and offend others with their rank body odor, and on and on. Address the particular problem; mandate wearing clothes, don't ban men.

If teens are ignored, then I think we are doing them a great disservice. By promoting safe activities for teens and buying items for them, librarians are working to make a place where teens feel comfortable coming for their information needs, be they academic or personal -- and this is a useful skill as a citizen and student. Just like many libraries have blocks and puzzles in the kids' area, and comfortable couches and story times with music, all designed to welcome young children to the world of libraries and begin to introduce the world of books to them -- by beginning with what is familiar to them, to inspire them to reach higher.

I really don't see libraries as an institution designed to exclude others in a punitive fashion, but it seems that many people support that and are outraged when libraries actually welcome people in the community.

Some people want to say -- Let's leave you out of the library! That will show you!

...The question is, what will it show teenagers? Do we want them to learn that lesson? If we spend years treating them like the scum of the earth, why do we think they would dare venture back in for another round of insults?

Our library is just about the social center of our downtown. Sure, it has dvds and 'puters, also just opened a cafe. We have traveling exhibits come for weeks at a time on dinosaurs, Lincoln, outer space. Tons of books - and quiet reading spaces overlooking the Fox River. A large quiet reading room with a fireplace and cozy over-stuffed chairs. There is always a line of folks waiting to sign-up for a library card. If it was just a big building full of books I am sure it would not seem nearly as vibrant and essential a place. I love our library!

http://www.gailborden.info/m/

Our library is just about the social center of our downtown. Sure, it has dvds and 'puters, also just opened a cafe. We have traveling exhibits come for weeks at a time on dinosaurs, Lincoln, outer space. Tons of books - and quiet reading spaces overlooking the Fox River. A large quiet reading room with a fireplace and cozy over-stuffed chairs. There is always a line of folks waiting to sign-up for a library card. If it was just a big building full of books I am sure it would not seem nearly as vibrant and essential a place. I love our library!

http://www.gailborden.info/m/

:drool5:

This would be LOVELY. I have no problem, either, with the library being a community center of sorts, but as another poster said, "Elevate yourself". Exhibits, "tons of books", "large quiet reading room" -- these are the things that, IMO, distinguish a library from the local video arcade.

We have a very nice library, given that our town is small. They have recently started hosting more "popcorn and video" events for the young people -- I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, as a homeschooler, it does provide a nice social outlet, a place for my tween to mix and mingle a bit (the video selections are always appropriate). On the other hand, the library is getting noisier . . . the computers and videos and CDs and DVDs are starting to crowd out the books.

I think, though, that our library actually gets funds allocated based on how many bodies enter the building. So, if drawing a more diverse crowd raises the overall funding for the library, I would be reluctant to complain.

I fear, though, that eventually books will be secondary -- an afterthought. That will be a sad, sad day.

So, back to your original question: I consider the PRIMARY purpose of a library to be access to PRINT material, in a QUIET and thoughtful environment. Really, if I wanted noise and DVDs, I could go to Best Buy.

Primary purpose: quality literature available to the public

I think making quality selections of other media available is fine too. I don't want them to carry every movie ever made, but I am delighted to be able to get foreign films or movies based on classic literature.

I am in vehement disagreement with the concept of library as a community center. Our communities have other places to socialize and play video games--I think the library should remain pure in their purpose as caretakers of our literary wealth.

We don't have a separate community center, so the library is it. That said, we don't have a wii, but I wouldn't be offended if they bought one to put in their multipurpose room. I am glad my library has current movies and music. It encourages people to use the library and, hopefully, explore richer materials once they get the hang of reserving materials. If libraries stick to books and educational materials, I don't think they'll continue to receive sufficient public support. Since I'm a heavy library user, I really want my library to be fully funded :D.

I'm not sure the library is the right place for that but, that said, where is? The sad fact is most comunities completely ignore their obligation to youth. Mine spends money on community beautification projects like hangng flower baskets from power poles but has never even entertained the idea of a youth center. It's like kids aren't a part of the community.

If the local library i starting up programs like the Wii thing then maybe it's because there's a vacuum of youth activities or services in you community and the librarian recognizes that?

Communities don't have an obligation to youth. Parents do. Oh wait, yeah, the village thing............

This statement is very revealing.

I don't agree at ALL that by ignoring and excluding teenagers, we make our society a better place or somehow help them.

Your edit was even more revealing.

I was never excluded as a teen, and spent more time at the library than average. I loved the librarians. I wouldn't care if the teens were there in masses if there wasn't a constant scene around the computers (which are taking over more and more of the space) and the swearing and fighting. Sorry, but these teens aren't there for the "library".

I have turned in my card :( and now buy used. My postal lady may dislike all the packages, but kiddo isn't going to see what my mother would have sheltered me from. And what a shame I won't feel safe letting him be there, unchaperoned, when he is a teen.

Our town has many parks. Teens hang out in several of them. Why not one safe place for children/nerds/tender old folks who don't want to see blood (yes) or hear really foul insults.

Edited by kalanamak

A library is a community area in which to lend books. Any other uses would be determined by each particular town. I love our new library! It has a large children's area with a computer bay, and several couches and tables to spend time reading. There is a small teen room with a limited music selection (headphones, thank goodness), comfy chairs. The upstairs is the traditional adult literature, references, etc. It includes several meeting rooms for study groups, and an additional computer bay. Inside the library is a small coffee house (reminds me of college!), a gallery of local art work. There are movies available, but most are donated--and very old. There is a huge VHS section, but not sure anyone owns VCRs anymore.

Adjacent is a community center for small performances. Someone decided to include this within our library system.

I wouldn't be happy with a Wii in the library, because I feel it's for the cerebral development not for the physical entertainment. JMO.

It has long been my pet peeve that libraries buy movies. And, I tell them that on every survey that they put out. :-) I love the digital audio-book services that some libraries are offering. That is wonderful.

I LOVE our library. I think they do a great job of making the library a fun place (activities, storey times, programs, reading programs, etc.) for people of all ages. Yet, they haven't become just a place for kids to use the computer unsupervised. I often see kids (young teens) hang out there after school and do homework. (There is a Catholic school across the street)

I would be annoyed at our library buying a Wii! And, I like teen agers. :001_smile:

But increasingly, the computers are a place merely for kids to hang out in groups. During certain hours, the "quiet library" atmosphere is a rarity ~ and it seems some librarians are happy as clams about that. The goal is apparently to bring 'em in, regardless of what they're doing and how they're doing it.

So along those lines, the library has now purchased ~ get this ~ a Wii. Yep, you read that right. Posters hanging on the library doors and windows beckon teens to come to the library on given days and play Rockband on the Wii. Pizza-n-drinks will be served! Come one, come all!

What...? What am I missing? I try, in my own feeble way, to keep up with the times. Really I do. I'm not a complete Luddite. But I admit that in my heart of hearts, I want the library to be a place that promotes reading. When I spoke to the head of our branch about the Wii, I asked if we're operating a library or a community center. She said the library should be a community center. Well, I don't necessarily disagree with that in essence. I'm all for folks gathering at the library. But as she put it, some kids may not have access to a Wii at home, and the library was a "safe" place they could come use one. But...why? Why would the library of all places be providing that? And how does playing Rockband on the Wii further our library system's stated mission to "bring the joy of reading and access to the world of ideas to every resident in an open and enriching environment"?

Well, libraries are the new teen care centers. We don't want them out getting preggers or smoking dope, like we were doing (ha!) so we lure them in. And they're all getting fat, like the rest of us Americans, so maybe the Wii is a fantastic idea! Keep 'em moving! So Colleen, hon, it's a public service. Yeah, that's it.... ;)

I think wiki offers the best definition, although you and I might not like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library

I think there are two issues here:

1. What is the library to be used for? What is it's purpose? - in this there will be a split of popular opinion and traditional thought

2. At what point does the library try to become too much and at what cost? Does the cost of maintaining a DVD/CD/Wii ( :blink: ) collection undermine obtaining new printed materials? For some libraries, they might have a healthy budget and feel it is in the best interest of the community to invest in more electronic type materials.

I wouldn't want to limit a person's ability to use the internet at the library b/c I thought *some* abuse the right. I also wouldn't want kids to lose a safe environment where they are supervised b/c I feel having a Wii at the library is going too far. Yes, there should be a community center, is the library one? Yes and no. I feel when we move towards limiting what can and should be available (legally), who's to say someone else cannot say the things that we desire shouldn't be available as well?

We have teacher's manuals and textbooks available through our library, endless copies of out of print books that are simply treasures. If someone were to decide that these books are not worthy or wrong in some way to keep- we'd lose out. So I think it's tit for tat in this case.

I think wiki offers the best definition, although you and I might not like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library

I think there are two issues here:

1. What is the library to be used for? What is it's purpose? - in this there will be a split of popular opinion and traditional thought

2. At what point does the library try to become too much and at what cost? Does the cost of maintaining a DVD/CD/Wii ( :blink: ) collection undermine obtaining new printed materials? For some libraries, they might have a healthy budget and feel it is in the best interest of the community to invest in more electronic type materials.

I wouldn't want to limit a person's ability to use the internet at the library b/c I thought *some* abuse the right. I also wouldn't want kids to lose a safe environment where they are supervised b/c I feel having a Wii at the library is going too far. Yes, there should be a community center, is the library one? Yes and no. I feel when we move towards limiting what can and should be available (legally), who's to say someone else cannot say the things that we desire shouldn't be available as well?

We have teacher's manuals and textbooks available through our library, endless copies of out of print books that are simply treasures. If someone were to decide that these books are not worthy or wrong in some way to keep- we'd lose out. So I think it's tit for tat in this case.

:iagree:

as someone on our itty bitty library's library board, you beat me to this :)

Our local tax dollars pay for the library. The folks who pay those dollars want to use the library for more than books. Our library is two-storied - upstairs are books, and magazines, large-print section, Spanish section, reference, reading rooms, a large quiet room, comfy chairs, desks and nooks and crannies for reading. Downstairs is media, cafe, computer center (and there are places to plug in your laptop all over upstairs, too.), little kid section, kid section.

The only other place we have close to a community center is a big new rec. center...which charges big fat fees for everything but the walking track. So we all go to the library ;)

Of books, a/v materials, of...information!

Though I would not be ecstatic to see a Wii at my library, I don't feel I'd have the right to complain unless I was told that it took funding away from the ability to add books I (or other patrons) request be added to the collection if not available. If that happened, I would have something to say.

I think it's kinda like religion. The laws that enable me to practice my faith also enable others to practice those faiths with which I disagree. It's the old double-edged sword of public funding. I use what I can of the library, and count it a blessing.

I hate the TV blaring the in reception areas. I bring a book, and it is hard to read with crashes and screams and moans.

I wish our library discouraged teens. It has made the park outside a hotbed of fights. More than once I've pulled kiddo off the jungle gym and left rather than watch two young women claw each other's faces and use bad language at full volume. :(

Our old library was more of an unsupervised daycare center. Seriously, it was across the street from the junior high/high school and kids would hang out there on the internet after school. I never saw any of them looking at books. But I did see them looking at questionable stuff on the internet. So they were getting information... is that the kind of information we the public want young people getting because of our tax dollars at work?

I can't believe there's a loud TV at your library (and screams and moans.) Things are really changing, and not always for the better.

Libraries exist to provide information to the community. Sometimes the information is a book, sometimes a book that cannot be removed, sometimes the internet, sometimes a video.

There are also many who would argue that libraries exist to protect sources of knowledge and when possible to make them available to the public.

To what extent should this go? I think this certainly extends to internet access and movies. Perhaps web subscriptions to things like Rosetta Stone or Britannica Online (sometimes these are available through the library's website). Some libraries maintain a huge amount of government documents or genealogical information.

I particularly enjoy the libraries that have included on the premises a cafe with Wi-Fi. It should be outside the quiet zone but I think its a great asset. Then there are often meeting rooms or study zones. A Teen Center with Wii? Well, if the community were welthy enough why not? It does involve proper space allocation so as not to disturb other patrons.

What about the used book and gift shops that are cropping up?

There are a great many issues that the librarians deal with in planning these extras that go un-noticed by the general public.

In short-if having a Wii or any other service is causing a disruption to the patrons, if the behavior of the other patrons is inappropriate-then you certainly have a right to bring it up with the staff. If all these extras are sucking up the entire budget and they aren't buying new books-well again complain. However, you may be told that the Wii has more users than the books and like any good "business" they are going to put their money towards what the patrons demand.

Personally I love a big panneled reading room with no noise louder than a pencil or mouse click, large comfy chairs and huge reading tables with lamps at every place. I feel literate in such an environment. I still love the act of flipping through a card catalog despite the superior efficiancy of a computer database. I love climbing old metal stairs in a Carnegie fund library, selecting my volumes and handing over a real library card to take them home. Is this dream library of mine real-yes they still exist but there is now a modern addition to the building with lots of glass, big restrooms, conference rooms, a Starbucks, and small children doing craft projects during story hour.

To make it all work is possible, there are many fine libraries in the US that do have it all. It takes planning, vision, and budgeting. You may want to discuss options if there is one of those three that has fallen apart in your community. Perhaps they just need to improve how they deliver the services not eliminate services.

I love our local library. I'm sure I've checked out thousands of books over the last number of years, but I also love that they have a great movie selection. We don't have cable and have very limited tv reception, so I'm sure I've enjoyed hundreds of movies that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

Lisa

So along those lines, the library has now purchased ~ get this ~ a Wii.

Colleen, I read through the first part of your post and was all set to say, "Aw, c'mon now, Colleen! New release movies and music CDs aren't the end of the world! Lighten up!"

But...a Wii?!?!?

I'm just glad I wasn't drinking anything when I got to that part.

I'm no Luddite, either, but I do share the image of a library being a sort of cultural bastion. Music and movies are part of that, I believe, but...Wiis don't enter the picture for me.

And on the publicly funded side, I'd say that the portioning of funds should fall heavily on the "Material That is Publicly Beneficial and Not Neccessarily Easily Obtained But Easily Shared" side...although there will be a lot of debate about that, too, if you ask "What's Culturally Enriching?"

No easy answer...but I'd be aghast, too, and I'd point to the age-old image of the library as a QUIET place for reflecting on said cultural enrichments.

(No problems with having a community center, though, and all the Wiis you please in those.)

ETA: Someone mentioned libraries functioning as a source of information, and at first, I was disinclined to agree with that, thinking of the cultural perspective I shared, earlier...but now I think that that is worth exploring; books, music, and movies do transmit messages, even if they do so fictionally. That's the cultural element I guess I was grasping for, earlier. Games don't really conduct messages, IMO, even if they do teach. The argument could be made that video games, as a medium, do in fact, tell a story, but in my opinion it's a limited vehicle for that, and doesn't serve the purpose to the same level that books, music and film do. They are generally marketed as pure entertainment. So again, I vote in favor of supporting the mediums that do the best job of transmitting information or culture, and allotting funds and space accordingly.

Edited by Jill, OK

e library. But as she put it, some kids may not have access to a Wii at home,

!

So what?! As if Wiis matter in life. I have a hard time gulping down the notion that kids without Wiis at home are underserved by the community. But generally, I don't suppose I would mind if there were a community center attached to a library. I kind of remember it being that way as a kid. We had a library and lots of activities going on like art classes and oh, there was a playground, too. It was really very nice.

Our library system (really the one we use in a nearby city, not our local one) has lots of gaming systems at the various branches. The teen room at the main branch has special gaming activities twice a week. It also has a stellar reading collection for teens staffed by amazing librarians. Teens may be drawn in by the gaming and digital media classes, but they end up being regular library visitors who seek out the advice of librarians on what great books are out there.

The same branch is running an exercise program for seniors called "A Wii Bit of Exercise."::)

I would worry if they weren't doing an excellent job of providing traditional library services, but I have zero complaints. In fact, the more people they lure through the door with Wiis and the like, the more money they have for other programming, including their classes especially for homeschoolers.

And by "free" I mean "unhindered" and not necessarily "no cost."

In our society and time, knowledge (including practical, philosophical, and theoretical) is dispersed using many different mediums: print, audio, and visual (either via movies or still images/ paintings). I think libraries need to make room for all of these different mediums, but they should also keep in mind the requirements to absorb and appreciate them all. Generally, people prefer a quiet place in which to read and ponder printed information, but audio and video demand locations that allow for noise (like a separate room or headphones). Conference rooms for speeches, presentations, book clubs, and displays would also fall into this category.

I suppose one can make an argument for kinetic information - exercise, performance arts, etc. However, if a library is going to provide this as well, then a suitable place needs to be provided while the sanctity of the other knowledge environments is also protected.

That said, I think that the community supporting a particular library must decide whether or not they are going to limit the forms of information which they provide access to and whether their library is also going to serve as a community center (which, I believe, focuses more on the physical needs of individuals, through exercise, and community unity and leans more into the entertainment/ recreation realm as opposed to the information/ knowledge realm). Whatever a community decides to use their library for, the environments needed for each medium or activity need to be provided and protected.

I'm not sure about the Wii. I can see it being good that kids can come to the library instead of other places they could be.

We love getting the newest movies at our library. We are too cheap to rent a video and we are paying off debt so it's nice that the library has a selection.

I'm torn on the Wii. Our library has Anime video nights and board game nights.

Kelly

is the recent ability we have attained to carry around hundreds of books in our pockets. People are now able to store every book in the Library of Congress on a home computer or even maybe a laptop. Our *needs* are changing as a society. We no longer have to have a huge building warehousing printed media when we can carry around the same number of books in our pockets.

Carrying around books digitally might not appeal to you, but I bet it appeals to your children. And (cue Whitney) children are the future. Our children won't need libraries for research like we (I) did back in high school and college. Our children will be able to download "borrowed" books, periodicals, newspapers, music, you name it at home.

So, that suggests the obvious question, which is not what *are* libraries for, but where are they headed and how can all of those people in the library business keep their jobs? I guess the wii (Wii, WII, ???, whatever) is one solution.

Edited by KJB

I'm the librarian for our little library and I wish we had the budget for Wiis and pizza parties and a slew of computers and equipment, but even if we did, I woldn't spend it on that. I don't think that's a responsible representation of what a library should be serving to the public.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean a library should be spending good money on it. Silhouette and Harlequin romance paperbacks are popular, but I would not load up my shelves with that sh*te either. It bothers me that libraries have reduced themselves to the level of gimmickry, which is what I think Wiis and pizza parties are.

The primary aim of a library should be to promote literacy. Literacy comes in many forms, and there are many avenues one could pursue to promote it. Books on tape, sure. Computers, sure -- they're an excellent reference and information tool as well promoting some basic computer literacy, which is important in today's world. Movies, sure -- no problem there, but just as a library has well-developed criteria for what books are selected, there should also be a well-developed criteria for film purchases.

Wiis and pizza parties? Save it for Chuck-E-Cheese.

Edited by Audrey

I share your confusion, Colleen, with the need to stock things other than books.

BUT e-audiobooks! Have you guys discovered these? I'm in heaven! I could kiss my library for making these available to me online, and endlessly.

And not to mention Rosetta Stone. For years my library provided RS free of charge. (Gone now, but that's RS's fault.)

And back before there was United Streaming, there were educational videos at the library, and interlibrary loans offering a complicated but endless source of more educational videos.

I am very grateful for all this.

So what?! As if Wiis matter in life. I have a hard time gulping down the notion that kids without Wiis at home are underserved by the community. But generally, I don't suppose I would mind if there were a community center attached to a library. I kind of remember it being that way as a kid. We had a library and lots of activities going on like art classes and oh, there was a playground, too. It was really very nice.

In a community near me the the library is next door to the rec center. It encourages people to use both. The parents use the rec to work out while the kids use the library, etc. The kids are very noisy in the library, though.

A library is supposed to exist to provide us with more books than we can afford buy, educational videos and dvds that are too dorky to be found in a video library and musical cds of genres, artists and instruments you didn't know existed. Inter library loans at a reasonable price would be good, and so would online journal access. I'm all for people enjoying themselves, but there ought to be a corner tucked away for people studying.

Rosie- who misses her uni library, even though she doesn't have the brainpower for that level of reading at present...

People have many needs for information, and their needs are not just academic.

Most public libraries provide access to books and magazines about cooking, car repair, fashion trends, and scrapbooking, as well as materials about finding a job, fighting a traffic ticket and writing your own will, videos on topics as various as minimizing childbirth pain or pruning perennials, or hosting events about things like knitting and game-playing (chess/scrabble/backgammon for adults spring to mind).

....We tend to have an easier time buying into this for ourselves than with other groups we don't understand.

Our library is a grab bag! It is part stacks, video store, community center, homeless shelter, computer lab, book sale, bus schedule access. I used to complain, but to be honest...I can get videos for a $1, inter-library loans for the same. Books at the book sale for 90% off and if I have to encounter a little more than I expected, well...so be it.

I dont like it myself- the Wii thing hasn't hit here yet, but if it's over there, it won't be long!

I appreciate being able to get a movie I am looking for from the library, I must admit, but I myself would prefer they spend the larger proportion of their spending money on books. i dont want my library turning into a community centre. My local one is part of the Rec Centre building complex- with a gym, indoor courts, creche, and after school care centre. I would rather they keep the Wii to the after school care centre- maybe they do, I dont know.

I would be mad if the library became noisy, or a hangout for teens on the computers. I think they do have some sort of restrictions though, because it doesnt seem to have happened yet.

I first read this thread with interest last night. We just built a new library because the old one was VERY old and small. We loved the old library and the librarians. The new library is lovely, but has lots of wasted space, including a huge foyer and high ceilings. There is a small game room with a chess board. Today, while returning a few videos my daughter watched when she was sick, I saw the children's librarian putting out fliers about today being National Gaming Day. She wanted the other librarians to keep track of how many people played games online today. I mentioned this discussion and she said "We just got a Wii and it is making it's debut today!" I was stunned and disappointed. I truly feel a library is meant to promote literacy, in all ways. I don't think a Wii falls into the category. Perhaps a community center is the place for the gaming things. But I doubt many people would support their tax dollars going to such a place. I want to complain, but feel it would be a losing battle. Have others voiced concerns to their libraries? What has the response been? We know our librarians well and use the library all the time. I just can't believe most librarians actually want them in their libraries.

I haven't been to our library in a couple years because they rarely have what I'm looking for. Last time I was there they didn't have gaming machines, but they did have a computer in the children's section loaded with games. UGH! The thing would always have noisy kids huddled around it with no parant in sight. I think it is great that computer use is available for those that do not have them at home, but not noisy distracting games. When we did go to the library it was to look for books or educational videos and such, but it was impossible to keep my kids focused on the books when others are very noisily playing computer games. I also don't believe the librarians should have to parent other people's children. It's just not what they are paid for.

I first read this thread with interest last night. We just built a new library because the old one was VERY old and small. We loved the old library and the librarians. The new library is lovely, but has lots of wasted space, including a huge foyer and high ceilings..

Our new one has ridiculously high ceilings and every footstep and voice bounce all about. The shelves look rather dwarfed by the space, and they look pitiful. Reminds me of the ball room on a cruise ship. It doesn't seem lovely to me, it seems decadent, and a poor use of my money (and I even donated and got my name on a plaque!!). The little children's area has a play area in the center. The sign says no unattended children, but the 4-7 crowd is usually unattended, and trying to read various books to kiddo while a pair of sibs duke it out is not feasible. Kiddo wants to run and joust with them.

Right around the time a female teen got stabbed in the neck steps from the front door, I got a postcard saying my interlibrary loan book was in. I gave hubby the card and asked him to pick it up. The librarian (and the supervisor I spoke to on the phone later) said he couldn't have it because it was for ME. The postcard meant nothing because we "could be in a contentious divorce and he stole the card from my mailbox and was getting the book just to keep it from me" (both said this). Later, the supervisor admitted if he'd just had my card he could have gotten it, even though our cards have the same home addy. I couldn't get her to even say "well, it does seem to be a sticky rule, I suppose if he stole the postcard from the mailbox, he could have stolen your card, too". She was adamant it all made sense and I was off base for questioning it. If he checked it out on his card, they'd still know who had it and could charge him if he failed to return it (just as they could me if I failed to return it). To me it would have been worse if he'd come in with my card. I'm still perplexed. It sounds paranoia to me, and not internally consistant paranoia.

So, that and the stabbing, I sent my card back cut up.