Menu

Re-watching little house?

busymama7

I am currently re-reading the series and we had just finished farmer boy aloud. Actually I don't think I ever finished the book series when I was a kid. But I loved the TV show and watched it (seems like daily after school)

I discovered that Amazon has it to purchase by the season and I'm considering it. We are always struggling to find shows that meet our very strict definition of clean. I have 5 kids 12 and under who would probably enjoy it with me. (The teens might too). I know it doesn't follow the books or her real life (like Mary marrying) but I don't care. I just want a clean family show. But I am wondering if I will enjoy it as much as an adult. Has anyone rewatched them all as an adult?

Yes.  We get them on Cosi TV here, along with several other shows we like to watch (like Leave It To Beaver).

The original season is sweet and close to the books.  As the series progresses, they tackle difficult subjects like child r*pe, bigotry, racism, and other hot button issues.  Some I would not watch with my 7yo. 

I think you should re-watch them alone without your kids and see if your Mom Filter changes anything for you.  

I wouldn't have wanted my under-12 year olds to watch most of the series, tbh.  It's one of those shows that I watch episodes sometimes and enjoy it for the nostalgia, but through my Mom Filter they are cringy and I wonder why my mom had no problem letting me watch it over and over.  

• Like 4

I loved, loved, loved the books and show as a kid. As an adult though...UGH. I couldn't STAND reading them to DS when he was little. Thankfully, he thought they were as superficial and repetitive as I did so I didn't have to read more than a couple.

I would imagine the show to be equally bad to me as an adult, but obviously plenty of people will disagree. ;)

Why not try it and find out? Worst case is you don't enjoy it.

I think you should re-watch them alone without your kids and see if your Mom Filter changes anything for you.

I wouldn't have wanted my under-12 year olds to watch most of the series, tbh. It's one of those shows that I watch episodes sometimes and enjoy it for the nostalgia, but through my Mom Filter they are cringy and I wonder why my mom had no problem letting me watch it over and over.

This is actually what I'm worried about. Yes I could watch them alone but my purpose is really for a show we can watch together. We have enjoyed When Calls the Heart and Little Men together. But I don't watch "kid" shows with them so finding something we all enjoy is hard.

My kids did not like the TV shows after the first few. They were disturbed by them. I don't know what it was exactly. Part of it was the soundtrack, for sure. I was surprised by the reaction, but I watched a ton of TV when I was a kid, and they really had very little exposure to TV shows. That one with the mice or rats bringing plague, oh, my, word. My kids still talk about that as adults, Mom having them watch scary TV shows, lol.

• Like 1

I too grew up watching them everyday after school.  When I discovered they came out on DVD, I bought all but the last series.  But once I started watching them, I didn't enjoy them nearly as much.  One that really stood out to me was about a soldier from the war who was addicted to Morphine and the hallucinations he had (portrayed by him imagining bats flying all around him and other weird things).  I remember that episode from when I was a child.  It wasn't my favorite but I didn't really "bother" me either.  As an adult I realized the whole drug addiction storyline had gone completely over my head.  It definitely made me cringe now.  Anyways I watched a few with my kids before I realized they were really better off not watching them at all.

Sounds like I missed all the bad ones, but I remember one that really disturbed me.  There was this little boy that they took in, I can't remember the circumstances but he became one of the family.  Then his father showed up and wanted him back, and they reluctantly agreed that this was right, only to find out that he only wanted his son so he would have a farm hand.  I thought that was so grievous.  For some reason it really got to me.

Of course, there was a happy ending in that the boy pretended to be blind, and the father decided he didn't want him after all, so he could stay, but wow, the grief when he had to leave was heartrending.

• Like 1

On a related note, my whole visual concept of the books was governed by the TV show, which turns out to have been filmed in a few places in California in the Sierra foothills and in the Sierras themselves.  I had no idea that prairie grass was 9 feet tall until I was an adult.  That scene where Melissa Gilbert runs down a hillside and there's a freeze frame with her pigtails in the air was filmed in an alpine terrain here at about 8500 feet, so the grass is naturally stunted.  Many of the 'town' scenes were filmed in Columbia State Historic Park, a town frozen in time at about 1860, 10 years after the Gold Rush.

I remember one when Ma was home alone and got some kind of infection? She was having hallucinations and was ready to chop off her hand with an ax just when Pa arrived home. It might have not been exactly that but I remember being so disturbed by it. But the one where the girl was raped was just awful. I didn't understand it at the time I just knew it was awful and disturbing.

I'm going through the audio version of the books with my DD5. She is enjoying the stories. Her questions "are these real people?""Does the dog Jack go to heaven?". I talked to her about how different things were then and now.

I tried to watch the TV show recently around my daughter and she wasnt interested and I felt it to emotional to watch around her.

She loved "The Waltons". I watched the entire series.

Some of those later episodes are straight up creepy or troubling. The clown rapist, the diseased rats crawling all over, the switching babies at birth story, the woman who kidnaps Laura and tries to turn her into her dead daughter...

Also, some of the earlier ones.  Laura with the raccoon that may or may not have rabies and then it bites her and she thinks she's going to die.  The several episodes with smallpox/contagions and people dying by the dozens while poor Doc Baker is run ragged- they often end up with Laura thinking someone is going to die.  The constant fighting with Nellie Oleson really doesn't end until Nellie is married.   The scandalous episode where Reverend Alden gets a girlfriend.  The many families of Mister Edwards and how they all end up dying in horribly tragic ways causing him to turn to drinking again.  The circus freak episode with the wild boy was disturbing on so many levels.   Charles turning into a hermit and fleeing to the woods and abandoning his family after he loses his son...

There's actually a lot of episodes revolving around death when you think about it. 

• Like 2

I own season 1. The pilot episode movie follows very closely the book, Little House on the Prairie. After that no episode follows the books, though they will pull character names from the books and put in somebody with that name and very rarely do something from the book. Later seasons even pulled things from Laura's real life that she purposefully left out of the books. 

Disney also made a made for TV mini series movie of just the Little House on the Prairie book and stuck very much to the book (leaving out baby Carrie, who was actually born in Kansas, altogether.) It was very well done if you can find it somewhere. 

Yep, we are working our way through the series at the moment and are up to season 4. All my children, yes, ALL my children love it - that's ages 22 down to 5 😉. The only thing is my two youngest find a few episodes a bit scary so they disappear until that bit is over.

Edited by LindaOz

Several of the cringey scenes and episodes have already been mentioned, but there was a Halloween episode where Laura thought she saw Mr. Oleson cut off Mrs. Oleson's head and then after they figured out it was a mannequin, they decide to freak out Nellie and her brother by tossing the head of the mannequin down into the cellar where they were hiding and it was so scary.  

I was young when I saw that, and it FREAKED ME OUT and gave me nightmares.  I guess I wasn't old enough to really pick up on what was really going on, and the episode haunted me, and the idea of a severed head falling down a set of stairs was just too much for me to process.  

You know, I don't watch TV much, and it's partly because it's such a time suck, but also because it's so harrowing.

I guess it was always like that, but once I got free of it, I'm really better off being harrowed by real actual people with real actual lives than by some short show.

And we didn't have a whole lot of TV watching when DD was little--there were so many better things to do, plus I noticed very early that once she saw a screen she had no imagination for the rest of the day (insert obligatory YMMV here), but also we didn't ban TV or videos--just reserved them for late in the day and not every day.

So I think LHOTP would be harder on her than it was on me.  

I mean, I'm visual, but this kid was VISUAL.

She watched that Veggie Tales episode where the materialistic lady lost all her stuff, and she was worried about her.  It wasn't funny to her at all.  She missed those cartoony signals, and kept asking what the lady was going to DO now, which I thought was sweet but it did show that lack of cartoon watching had had an impact on comprehension of the genre.

And when we did a wild west type stagecoach ride and the highway robber rode up and held us up, she didn't know it was a joke, and she didn't believe me when I told her.  The guy was actually embarrassed that we couldn't talk her out of it.

So if your kids are raised without a lot of TV, they might find LHOTP more disturbing than I would have as a kid, just like my DD.  It's something to keep in mind.

This is actually what I'm worried about. Yes I could watch them alone but my purpose is really for a show we can watch together. We have enjoyed When Calls the Heart and Little Men together. But I don't watch "kid" shows with them so finding something we all enjoy is hard.

The book series and the tv show are two different animals. I read and loved the books; the tv series I watched each week back in the 70s and early 80s and didn't love. 

I just wanted to suggest something that you might enjoy with your family - The Andy Griffith Show. It's clean and funny, even for adults! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053479/

• Like 4

Also, some of the earlier ones.  Laura with the raccoon that may or may not have rabies and then it bites her and she thinks she's going to die.  The several episodes with smallpox/contagions and people dying by the dozens while poor Doc Baker is run ragged- they often end up with Laura thinking someone is going to die.  The constant fighting with Nellie Oleson really doesn't end until Nellie is married.   The scandalous episode where Reverend Alden gets a girlfriend.  The many families of Mister Edwards and how they all end up dying in horribly tragic ways causing him to turn to drinking again.  The circus freak episode with the wild boy was disturbing on so many levels.   Charles turning into a hermit and fleeing to the woods and abandoning his family after he loses his son...

There's actually a lot of episodes revolving around death when you think about it. 

Yikes....laying it all out like that sure doesn't make the series very family friendly. 

BTW,  I think the real Reverend Alden abandoned his wife and kid(s) for another woman.  I just read about it in Prairie Fires.  Of course, now I seem to question EVERYTHING about LIW so that's why I put i 'think'. Seems like so much was embellished or plain old made up. 

• Like 1

I remember one when Ma was home alone and got some kind of infection? She was having hallucinations and was ready to chop off her hand with an ax just when Pa arrived home. It might have not been exactly that but I remember being so disturbed by it. But the one where the girl was raped was just awful. I didn't understand it at the time I just knew it was awful and disturbing.

This is one that stands out for me, too! Also the one where Carrie falls into the well. 😳 Or that one where Laura gets lost in the hills for a few DAYS looking for God? That’s a weird one

For a few years when our four kids were 12 and under, we had a tradition of watching Little House every Sunday night. We got up to season 6 or 7 and we all enjoyed it. We talked through everything as we watched, and I didn’t remember anyone being too traumatized. 😜. I don’t remember the clown rape, but it definitely goes downhill as the seasons progress...blowing up the whole town in the very last episode? Totally wacky.

My kids and I have watched them and we all think they're corny and sappy. Way too much crying.

So I recommend

My Three Sons

Hogans Heroes (Hogan does do a lot of smooching on various women)

The Andy Griffith Show

McHales Navy (some generalizations and what would be now considered racism toward Japanese)

Perry Mason (mentions of affairs, but as we've noted affairs lead to murder. :) )

• Like 4

The rape with the guy in the clown mask freaked me out as a child. I didn’t understand what had happened at all. I had to watch it as an adult so that I could resolve my childhood memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember being in (maybe) 7th grade & being asked to babysit our pastor's two young girls . . . because they wanted to watch Little House while the parents were gone, & the parents (rightly) were concerned about content of this specific show's plot.

I remember the 2 girls both looked at me afterwards, & I really had NO idea how to explain what happened to these 2 little girls.  I was rather naive too, & couldn't tell for sure what actually happened to the girl in the show.

I never watched that episode again . . . but it also just made me wonder What In The WORLD was Michael Landon thinking by filming this episode as part of Little House!?

The weird more modern-day topics are in the later episodes.

I'll also add an extra PSA for Laura Ingalls Wilder book fans.  There's a new biography "Prairie Fires" that fleshes out more of the circumstances behind the real-life events of Laura growing up with Pa . . . and then Almanzo, Laura and Rose in later adulthood.  Rose was a very tempestuous daughter!  (I got it from our library.  It's a 500 page book.)

Oh the Halloween ones! So creepy.

The one where the blind school burns — I rewatched that one a while back. Heartbreaking.

But y’know, I used to come home and watch them in the afternoons after kindergarten, by myself while my mom was napping with my baby brothers. I remember a few being mildly weird, like the Halloween ones, but my mom filter thinks they’re creepier than they appeared to 5-6yo me. I think the worse episodes went over my head and didn’t register just how creepy they really were. Mostly I remember Nellie being obnoxious, the kids getting into the occasional kid mischief (the Tom Sawyer episode, the one where they tried to raise money for a Bible), and the town coming together. Pa’s wise words, Laura and Mary’s nightcap-covered heads whispering at night, and Pa and Ma eating popcorn in bed stuck with me far more than anything unsavory did. And of course, Mr. Edwards! I think since I’d read all the books and loved them so much, seeing the characters come alive on the screen eclipsed anything else. Even the one where the woman kidnapped Laura to be here dead daughter didn’t really register as creepy because they got Laura back. So for young kids, it’s possible that the harder episodes might just not register.

• Like 4

Sounds like I missed all the bad ones, but I remember one that really disturbed me. There was this little boy that they took in, I can't remember the circumstances but he became one of the family. Then his father showed up and wanted him back, and they reluctantly agreed that this was right, only to find out that he only wanted his son so he would have a farm hand. I thought that was so grievous. For some reason it really got to me.

Of course, there was a happy ending in that the boy pretended to be blind, and the father decided he didn't want him after all, so he could stay, but wow, the grief when he had to leave was heartrending.

They didn't agree to it, but he hadn't been legally adopted (that was what they ere trying to do) and had no choice.

It would really depend on the kids. There are many many fantastic episodes, bug there are some intense ones in every season. No one mentioned the attack by the wild dogs... the kids are all home alone and are outside when the dogs are coming and they run to the barn. The dogs eventually get in (the girls are in the hayloft by then) and Mary is preparing to defend themselves with a pitchfork when an adult (summoned by Bandit) arrives to shoot them all.....

Better shows....

The Waltons

The Brady Bunch

Road to Avonlea

Andy Griffith Show

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Laura with the raccoon that may or may not have rabies and then it bites her and she thinks she's going to die.

I just watched an episode of The Highwayman with a very similar plot, except the kid was bit by a pony with anthrax. I wonder if it was a common childhood anxiety thing for our  parents / grandparents generation.

ETA The Rifleman, not The Highwayman.  Not a show about a robber. 

Now I am wondering if some of those old shows like this one or Bonanza would fit the bill as clean TV. There is almost always some comedy, some action, and a moral at the end of the episode.   Plus: Michael Landon was boy-band cute in Bonanza.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 2

It would really depend on the kids. There are many many fantastic episodes, bug there are some intense ones in every season. No one mentioned the attack by the wild dogs... the kids are all home alone and are outside when the dogs are coming and they run to the barn. The dogs eventually get in (the girls are in the hayloft by then) and Mary is preparing to defend themselves with a pitchfork when an adult (summoned by Bandit) arrives to shoot them all.....

Better shows....

The Waltons

The Brady Bunch

Road to Avonlea

Andy Griffith Show

The Waltons was a huge hit with my dd when she was little and we still watch the occasional episode.  There is some heavy stuff in some of those episodes too but nothing creepy.

I watched LHOTP when it originally aired but I was too young to get much of the creepier stuff as others have mentioned.  The fire at the school gave me nightmares.  And it may be my imagination, but wasn't there a spin-off show featuring Nellie (or someone)?  I had fond memories of the show and had read all of the books to dd so thought we would try the show.  I just found it....I dunno....lame....right off the bat.  I think we watched a handful of episodes and gave it up.  

I am currently re-reading the series and we had just finished farmer boy aloud. Actually I don't think I ever finished the book series when I was a kid. But I loved the TV show and watched it (seems like daily after school)

I discovered that Amazon has it to purchase by the season and I'm considering it. We are always struggling to find shows that meet our very strict definition of clean. I have 5 kids 12 and under who would probably enjoy it with me. (The teens might too). I know it doesn't follow the books or her real life (like Mary marrying) but I don't care. I just want a clean family show. But I am wondering if I will enjoy it as much as an adult. Has anyone rewatched them all as an adult?

I have been forced to watch these. Loved the books SO much as a kid. They are fine. But my big, burly husband? Loves them, especially the first two seasons. ;)

The Waltons was a huge hit with my dd when she was little and we still watch the occasional episode. There is some heavy stuff in some of those episodes too but nothing creepy.

I watched LHOTP when it originally aired but I was too young to get much of the creepier stuff as others have mentioned. The fire at the school gave me nightmares. And it may be my imagination, but wasn't there a spin-off show featuring Nellie (or someone)? I had fond memories of the show and had read all of the books to dd so thought we would try the show. I just found it....I dunno....lame....right off the bat. I think we watched a handful of episodes and gave it up.

Yes, there are a couple of heavy Walton's shows, but nothing creepy or too intense... well, there is one when Elizabeth is having nightmares about a ferris wheel that is slightly. The episode with the Hindenburg is hard to watch.

But Michael Landon made LHOTP sometimes border on a horror show.... yet I enjoyed it so much as a child. Actually I still enjoy them, but am very careful about which ones the kids can see

Better shows....

The Waltons

The Brady Bunch

Road to Avonlea

Andy Griffith Show

Thanks for the list! I love love love road to avonlea but can only find it to purchase and it's a bit pricey. I was so excited that LHOTP was not expensive and I'm in a mood right now. But I have a few one DVD including the Laura looks for God in the mountains one and the one where the baby boy dies and I don't re watch them because yeah those episodes are just ehhh too much for me. That was why I was hesitant. But I loved them so much growing up. That's so weird that there is so much crazy stuff in them and yet so many of us have only fond memories. I remember being devastated when Michael Landon died as he as Pa!!!

Ok, bear in mind that I was raised by hippies who didn't let us watch TV regularly until I was maybe 14. Sooo, I only saw a few episodes as a child but I remember the few I saw vividly because two of them really freaked me out. One of the ones was that clown rape one which I remember thinking "this was not in the books" and the other was one were the main story line was racism (the town won't accept the new black doctor). That part of the plot wasn't disturbing but the new doctor performing an emergency cesarean section in a log cabin scared the crap out of me. I remember thinking it was great I wasn't having children because I would never want that to happen. 🤣

A third episode stuck to me because it was so counter to the books. Pa and Ma have been told that they are the heirs to the Ingalls Carriage company and they go on a mad credit fueled spending spree, tricking out the church with a new organ and buying a bunch of finery. Then it turns out the company is worth some tiny amount and I guess had to give all of the stuff back. I remember thinking that Pa didn't want to borrow a nail, there is no way he would borrow a gazillion dollars.

I'd probably take a pass on these.

Yes, there are a couple of heavy Walton's shows, but nothing creepy or too intense... well, there is one when Elizabeth is having nightmares about a ferris wheel that is slightly. The episode with the Hindenburg is hard to watch.

There is one episode where somebody is giving out free Christmas presents to the poor and Elizabeth decides to get one despite being told not to by her parents.  When she opens it, it is a doll with a cracked face.  I think it may actually be in the "pilot" movie, rather than the actual show.

My dd still has nightmares about that scene.  It would never have registered on my radar as scary but she still chastises me for allowing her to watch it.  So, I guess even the most benign shows can be a trigger.  

Thanks for the list! I love love love road to avonlea but can only find it to purchase and it's a bit pricey. I was so excited that LHOTP was not expensive and I'm in a mood right now. But I have a few one DVD including the Laura looks for God in the mountains one and the one where the baby boy dies and I don't re watch them because yeah those episodes are just ehhh too much for me. That was why I was hesitant. But I loved them so much growing up. That's so weird that there is so much crazy stuff in them and yet so many of us have only fond memories. I remember being devastated when Michael Landon died as he as Pa!!!

Just want to mention that if you own the dvds there is a booklet with each season where you can see the description... or imdb.com would work... so you can decide episode per episode if you think the kids could watch...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Ok, bear in mind that I was raised by hippies who didn't let us watch TV regularly until I was maybe 14. Sooo, I only saw a few episodes as a child but I remember the few I saw vividly because two of them really freaked me out. One of the ones was that clown rape one which I remember thinking "this was not in the books" and the other was one were the main story line was racism (the town won't accept the new black doctor). That part of the plot wasn't disturbing but the new doctor performing an emergency cesarean section in a log cabin scared the crap out of me. I remember thinking it was great I wasn't having children because I would never want that to happen. 🤣

A third episode stuck to me because it was so counter to the books. Pa and Ma have been told that they are the heirs to the Ingalls Carriage company and they go on a mad credit fueled spending spree, tricking out the church with a new organ and buying a bunch of finery. Then it turns out the company is worth some tiny amount and I guess had to give all of the stuff back. I remember thinking that Pa didn't want to borrow a nail, there is no way he would borrow a gazillion dollars.

I'd probably take a pass on these.

To be fair, they did resist buying stuff for a while but there was major pressure by the other towns people that they kind of gave up...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk