Menu

Have you ever wondered what everyone here looks like? :-)

Meadowlark

I was just thinking of this...that I kind of have an idea in my head of what some people on here look like. I have no idea how I've come to that conclusion, but I have. Wouldn't it be fun to post pictures to see if our ideas are anywhere near correct? Or maybe the fun of this board is to be known by your thoughts and opinions, and not looks. Just an idea. I'd do it just for fun!

• Like 2

I have a photo in my avatar because I appreciate knowing what other people look like. I mean, I know that not everyone cares one way or the other, but I am visual and enjoy imagining the face of the person I'm speaking to. I figure there are some others who feel the same.

• Like 5

That's so interesting. I often don't even notice if people have a pic or not!

My brain is weird though. For example, I have a sense of where different posters are located in my visual field when I engage with them, even though I don't imagine their faces!

I know posters by their avatars. I get names switched all the time. All of the lion names confuse me. Even in real life I'll get someone's name wrong once because I think they look like a different name and then it will take me months to unlearn the first name. One of my kids' friends' dad calls himself not-Bill when he texts or calls (Hi Barb, it's not-bill) because his name is Jeff and I've been calling him Bill since Christmas.

• Like 8

Our South Central PA (and MD, DE, VA) get togethers have been fun.  Some folks were nothing like I imagined them.  Not better or worse, but definitely different.  I think most of us felt that way.  It's nice having "real people" in my mind behind screen names.

FWIW, I sometimes forget "real" names, but I still recall who folks are by their screen names for the most part.  Their posts also seem far more real and meaningful after getting to know them (not just those at the get togethers, but those I've seen from travels, etc, too).

The next get together is coming up Nov 2nd if I recall correctly.  Anyone nearby is welcome to come!

• Like 2

No, I never do. Weird, huh ? I'm not a very visual person. I'm more likely to wonder how people sound.

Picture me sounding like a small 7yr old girl. Apparently that's how telemarketers picture me. And my dad,  who can't tell the difference between me and DDs since they were 5.  :glare:

• Like 6

I'm a visual person, but I'm almost glad to not know what some people look like! For me, on other message boards, I've been taken aback by a few people who I was way off base about. And then I can't reconcile that in my mind, so I'm forever internally tormented by my image of them versus the reality of them. LOL Like I said, I'm a visual person. It's like playing FOR REAL.  :lol:

This is only true of posters who I didn't already form a visual for. Posters who use a portrait as their avatar don't offer me an opportunity to form my own visual image of them. I only see them as the lovely ladies they are!

It's the same reason why I generally don't watch movie adaptations of books. I just .... can't, mentally, deal with an image so counter to my own! 

It's the same reason why I generally don't watch movie adaptations of books. I just .... can't, mentally, deal with an image so counter to my own!

WTH has happened in this thread? First, I found out there’s not an implied “g’day mate” at the beginning of all your posts and now you’ve gotten rid of the saw?!? What is going on here??

:willy_nilly: :willy_nilly:

I actually did say g'day to someone today.  :huh:  :lol:

Long before avatars, I pictured people on my mind. And every time I met someone, I was completely wrong in my imagination. I still picture many of them as I imagined them Weird.

I do not look like a tomato, myself. :0)

Patty Joanna, every time I see your tomato avatar, I wonder about the winged section. Did it grow that way, or is it cut and lifted? Did you grow it yourself?

That is a tomato from my garden. And it grew that way! It made me laugh—it’s sort of a sassy tomato. :0)

Do you read everyone in an Aussie accent even though you know most people here are American?

It always throws me to hear SWB's accent! How she says 'poem'! *swoon*

Yes, I read you all with a normal accent, you all speak city-aussie in my head. 😜

Edited by LMD

OK. That's me. I'll leave it up for 24 hrs, lol. Then I might go back to my saw. This is from a couple of months ago.

eta that is very weird, seeing one's face everywhere. I don't like it!

You look very much as I'd imagined you would (but maybe a little younger)! That almost never happens--I always imagine people completely differently.

• Like 1

OK. That's me. I'll leave it up for 24 hrs, lol. Then I might go back to my saw. This is from a couple of months ago.

eta that is very weird, seeing one's face everywhere. I don't like it!

Sadie you are beautiful! I didn't imagine you UNbeautiful, but you seem very serious and stoic and well I just didn't expected such a young and beautiful woman!

• Like 4