Menu

s/o stability of employment

SKL

This is inspired by a comment somebody made about our parents being able to count on being employed long term if they performed well at their jobs.

I'm curious about how long Hive members / their spouses (if spouse is the main breadwinner) have remained employed at their jobs since about age 25.  How does this compare to your parents / breadwinner parent?

I'll go first.

Me:

1992-94 Job 1 (I quit)

1994-95 Job 2 (I quit)

1995-2008 Job 3 (I quit) - 13 years

2007-2017 Job 4 (still at it) - 10 years and counting

My dad (estimating years):

1967-1973 Job 1 (own business)

1973-1979 Job 2 (quit due to a move) - 6 years

1979-2007 Job 3 (retired) - 28 years

My mom's was a little more choppy, but she raised 6 kids in there ....

spouse

2000-2007 (he quit, but the writing was on the wall because they had laid off 30 of the 35 employees)-7 years

2007. (he quit, but large scale layoffs left him nervous, loss of federal funding on major project)-less than 1 year

2007-present - 10 years

In the world of IT this is EXTREMELY unusual 

my dad

30 years at the same job 

his dad

40 years at same job 

My dad and his dad were both doctors--extremely high job security. My dad is almost completely retired now at age 80 (he has trouble giving it up completely), so almost 50 years??

Dh is in tech. He's been with his company for 25 years, but there have been multiple rounds of layoffs that he has managed to avoid. Good friends who were good workers are no longer with this company. Not the same job security at all--we've been nervous many times. And our nervousness is all about the health insurance. And dh's dad was in tech and was almost the last guy to "turn out the lights" on a downsizing company after 30 years. 

• Like 1

My dad--35 years USDA (retired)

My mom--3 years (moved and got MS), 6 years (stopped to stay home with kids), 20 years (retired)

My DH's dad--35 years US Dept of Navy civilian job (retired)

DH--22 years same current job (well, three different companies because of buy outs, but same office, same industry, we haven't moved)

Me--3 years (quit to stay home), 11 years current job

My dh's dad died at 45, but was with the same company (computer something or other, lol) for over 15 years.

My dad worked 2 jobs over the course of his career; one when we were young and then we moved for him to take the job he still has.  He also opened a restaurant 6-7 years ago, but he still works at the other job!

Dh is on, I think, his 8th FT job and has had about that many PT jobs as well.

My dad went from 20+ years in the military to 20+ years at Southwestern Bell Telephone. Pension and healthcare from both. Also, his mid-level management job at SWB provided for a wife to stay home and raise three children.

I stumbled into a wonderful job at a family owned company. I have worked for them on and off, full time and part time for 26 years. No benefits though, due to part time status/contractor.

DH has had a different job every 4-7 years since we got married. About 3/4 of these jobs offered health insurance. One job out of all of those offered an IRA plan.

My dad absolutely acknowledges that it is much harder to maintain a middle class lifestyle now. He blames it largely on companies having no loyalty and viewing workers as expendable resources.

My mother was a legal secretary, she worked for more than 25 years at the same law firm before retiring. My father was a self employed cattle rancher. He never worked for someone else, but, yeah, they both had very stable lives.

DH got laid off twice from big companies and it was very hurtful to him both times even though it was never personal. 

I worked for a large hotel chain for 17 years before we started the restaurant. I would still be working for them now if we had not moved and started this business. 

My father figure was in the military for eight years and then owned his own business until he got cancer and died. My mother worked with him.

My aunts all went to work out of high school or college and remained with that same employer until retirement. My uncle that worked for channel 12 here landed that job straight out of college, put in 30 years, and then retired on a nice pension. This was common around here with many men and women working for the Big 3 automakers for 30 to 40 years from high school and retiring comfortably. Most of the people so know in my age range have parents who worked for only one employer, at most two, for their entire lives.

Dh held his first job out of college for five years, realized they were probably going to eliminate his position, went to work for a fledgling software company - that lasted only two years - then to EDS for 12 years, HP for 7, and now 4 years with GM.

Since so many companies no longer reward loyalty, my children's generation will have to change employers even more often than dh has.

I forgot to say that my career is not traditional. I was in music performance and so did not work for a company. Contract work, took the FIFA I wanted.

I also taught music for years and did music therapy, but that was my own music studio so no employer, and definitely no benefits. I did teach at a Lutheran school for two years. I worked in music though for 18 years.

My DH works in IT and it is pretty common to switch companies every few years. He got his first IT job after we had been married about a year.  He quit that to take one that was closer to home and worked there for almost 5 years, with a one year lay off where he did a contract job for that year.  He found a new job when his company (contractor) got bought out and the the new company did a huge pay cut,  He worked at the next company for 5 years when he got laid off due to a reorganization in the IT department.  His next job was about a year and a half, but it was out of our area and he was continuing to look for one closer to home.  He found one and has been there for three years now.  He is currently looking casually for something else, but not very seriously.  If some great job came along he would consider it, but he likes his current job pretty well.

I don't like all the job switching, it just feels so unstable.  My dad had two jobs in my lifetime.  The first he quit to take a better paying, and more stable job that he retired from a few years ago.

My dad and FIL worked in their first job until they retired in their late 70s. So more than 50 years in the same job. My FIL's doesn't have a pension plan which is why my in-laws ask their kids to sponsor their wants (travel, shopping).

My mom works on and off as a nurse because she enjoys working. She would have gotten a pension if she had worked continuously full time until she was 55.

My husband is 44 and on his 5th employer. Two companies before postgraduate and three companies after.

Edited by Arcadia

My dad was in the same job until he retired. He was a factory worker in a union. He did not have a college degree and made a decent income and benefits for not having a degree and not being in a skilled career. We were lower middle class and lived in a good neighborhood because it used to be affordable when they bought their house in the 70s. It is not easy to find that kind of job nowadays. My mom stayed home then worked part time once I was in school.

My dh has a college degree and has moved up in his career but adjusted for inflation we are doing very similarly to how I grew up with a parent without a degree except housing wise it is much harder now. Dh has worked places for a while but he did change jobs a few times.

I have had two career jobs in my life, one for 20 years and one for 13. 

My husband has worked for 10 years this month in his current job.

Before that he worked somewhere else for 3 years, prior to which he scrounged for 18 months after having been laid off (not his fault).  By 'scrounging' I mean, he taught two evenings per week at a community college, he did a little work for a local company that didn't pay him regularly as agreed (1-2 days per week), and he did a little contract work.

When he was laid off, it was for lack of seniority although he had 13 years in that job.

Before that 10-12 years in the prior one, and before that at least two other companies, for brief periods of time.

We work in an area where this amount of longevity is unusual.

By contrast, my dad worked for 40 years for one company.  My mom stayed home with us.

The grandfather whose career I knew best worked his entire career for one company except for a couple of years in a shipyard during WWII, pitching in as people were asked to do.  He sold suits in an 'Are You Being Served' type environment that whole time.  Having to stand constantly ruined his knees.  His wife stayed home with the kids.

For most of us, it was the same job, but different locations throughout the years.

18 years Teacher/Counselor (took 10 off to HS and raise kids), currently working as a school counselor

DH:  He did finish college and work as a pro golfer for a while, then became a car salesman, then went back to get an MA and became an Accountant

Dad: Physician, 55 years

Mom: BA in English, never used it

Edited by DawnM

Part of the reason my husband works for the federal government is job stability and my need for that stability comes as much from when I was a kid and my dad's job losses (three) as from my husband losing his job (twice).

My husband (he works in computers; first real job started when he was 21):

1997-2004-Job #1, laid off when they switched to minimum wage people reading off a script (that didn't last long; they went back to actual computer people after a couple or three years)

2004-2004-Job #2, laid off when the government made an error with his security clearance (after a 9 month long investigation that moved slower than molasses, it was determined the government had made the mistake and his clearance should never have been revoked)

2004-2005-Job #3, voluntary job change

2005-2008; 2008-current-Job #4 and Job #really still 4, he was a contractor on Friday and on Monday he worked for the federal government doing the same job in the same place (the position was federalized) so basically he's had his current job for 12 years out of his 20 years of adult working life (and planning to retire from the government so this should be it)

401k was available for Jobs #1, 2, and 4.  403b was available for #3 (non-profit version of 401k).  Thrift savings plan (which is essentially a 401k for government employees) plus pension for his current job.  All have had medical insurance.

My dad (he was an electrical engineer):

60s to some time before I was born in the late 70s-Job #1, no idea why he left there

*Also in there somewhere, he voluntarily joined the Navy because he knew he'd soon be drafted into the Army (draft notice arrived while he was in boot camp); he ended up switching to naval reserves after his active duty time and retired from that in 1993-ish

Some time in the 70s to late 80s/early 90s-Job #2, laid off because they downsized

Some time in the late 80s/early 90s to 1993ish-Job #3, laid off because they closed their DC office

1994ish-2000ish-Job #4, laid off because the company went out of business

*For the last couple or three years he was doing freelance work for another guy who was starting his company.

2000ish to 2014 I think-Job #5, retired (he worked for the guy who he previously did freelance work for); for part of that he was on furlough some days making it so he was working part time due to the economy; it was rough

None of his jobs offered a 401k option.  Not sure about health insurance benefits.  I know we didn't have insurance when I was a kid for a while, but I don't remember if it was while he was out of a job or not.

So my dad will likely have worked more jobs than my husband and lose his job/be underemployed more than my husband.  The economy was really bad in the 90s through early 2010s for engineers like him who design for office buildings.  My husband will also likely ultimately work more years for the federal government than my dad did for any of his jobs.

Edited by Butter

Dad worked at various factories from 69-74. Started at one particular factory in 74 - worked there until his death in 2005 with a few layoffs when the plant closed for retooling or very, very slow economics (mid 80s). He worked in a grocery during that time.

Mom worked at various factories from 69-78. Started at Dad's work in 78; various layoffs during 80s, but retired from there in 2008. Retired with Dad's and her own pensions and lifetime health insurance.

FIL worked for the same company for 48 years; retired with full pension.

MIL worked as a church secretary while raising kids. Worked as a secretary for same place from 1992-2007. Retired with ok pension.

DH (IT helpdesk): went through a ton of jobs in teens/early 20s. Settled down after he met me -

Grown-up job #1 1999-2003. Downsized.

job #2 2003-2004 - temporary employee at various places.

job #3 2004-2015 - Quit to work closer to home (and they were starting to downsize in various departments).

job #4 2015-2017 - Still there. 

None of these have had pensions; jobs #3 & 4 had 401k (although job #3 matched up to 9%, job #4 matched 3%)

ME (accounting): 

Summers 92-96: office job at family firm - left after I graduated - no benefits, but not needed at that point

96-98: retail job while in school

Job #1: 98-2000 Quit 

Job #2: 2000-02 Downsized after (having the nerve to take) maternity leave

Unemployed (and looking) 2002-2003

Job #3: 2003-2005 Quit for birth of second child and never returned to work.

#1 had a pension when I started although it was turned into a 401k by the time I left. Retail job, #2, had 401k's. All had insurance benefits.

Edited by beckyjo

I've never held a job for longer than 5 years.   Part of that is due to companies closing.  The place I worked for 4 1/2 years I would have stayed a long long time if they hadn't gotten sold and everything was moved to Chicago.

Dh has been in the same field for a long time but has had 3 positions (4 if you count self-employed) in the 13 years we've been together.

My mother had positions over 10 years but I'm not sure of the details.

My dad owned a store for 20+ years, then worked for a company over 10 years until he retired.

Dh will retire next year after 20 years in the military. We're not sure what's next for him.

Dad has been at the same job for 45 years, I think. Well, same company, different jobs.

My brother worked the same place as my dad for 15ish years, until he quit to start his own company 8 or so years ago.

• Like 1

My stepdad had two jobs and retired from the second. My dad had one job from age 18 until retirement. 

Dh is in a field that is very much affected by the economy. He has had 10 different jobs in the last 30 years. His longest term of employment was 10 years. That job had a year to year contract and the position was completely eliminated because his department needed to cut their budget. My husband works very hard and people like him, but when the work isn't there, lots of people are let go. 

Very little job stability here in our area.

As someone else mentioned many factories see workers as expendable and not life long employees. Wages here are lower for many jobs now than they were for the same job 25 years so...NOT adjusted for inflation.

Also, I think moving to 401k plans instead of pensions (for the good or bad) as made it so there is a lot less loyalty to employers as there are not the same benefits to staying with the same place long term as there was years ago.

I do not know how long my dad was at his last company.  My parents were married just under 20 years when he died- and he worked at least three places.

my mother worked at least four different places during my lifetime (not counting where she worked before).  she trained as a dental assistant, but was intimidated by it so she never actually worked as one.

dh and I have been marrried 35 years - and he has worked/been through ? bank failures and mergers . .

um. I can't count that high.

he's also worked in three different industries.

contrast that with his bil who is an engineer, and has worked at boeing (in multiple sections) since he graduated college in the 70s.  (currently, his entire dept has enough seniority to retire right now.  they're waiting for the manager to retire. then they're all gone.)

his son is also an engineer - went to work as MS right out of college 10 years ago.  i don't see him going anywhere.

My dad got laid off at about 58yo after the company he worked for for 25 years merged with another company and they decided he was too expensive. Now (two years later) they've hired him back part time as a freelancer for less money, because they've found out that he had important knowledge specific to that business that makes it cheaper to use him than train somebody younger and cheaper on paper. 

Our personal situation is not really applicable, as my wife is bipolar... she's 40 and her current record is 5 years (previous record was 19 months).

My parents owned their own businesses. 

DH's mom and dad we're very long term employees of the same companies. The one MIL worked for was sold several times and the name changed, but she kept the same job.

DH has been with his current employer for about 21 years. In all likelihood he'll retire from the same company. He had one other full time job before he took this one, and he was there for over ten years.

I worked for thirteen years at the same job before I became a SAHM.

I worked for less than a year after college initially and quit to spend the last few weeks with my dying mother.  Then when dh graduated college, we both worked temp jobs and then I worked half time telemarketing and he worked full time in a bookstore while we waited for him to go to Officer Training School.  Then dh worked for 27.5 years as an AF officer and then retired.  He then went to work at the same agency but in a different job as a contract employee.  He has been there 3 years as of June. I expect him to stay at this company until he retires or to go to another company that also has contractors at the same agency.  He has military retirement, and he now has a 401K plan at the new company plus he is getting company stock because it is an employee owned company.

That is a lot better than his father= he joined the Navy during WWII, worked various jobs for a bit then worked as a milk delivery from mid-1950's to mid 1980's and as a mini school bus driver/limo driver from 1960's until two years before he died when he had metastatic cancer in the 2010's. No pension at all. His mom only worked before kids but had been forced to quit high school to work by her parents (and she was a good student). 

My dad worked after he went to university.  He worked as a journalist and serial mystery writer before WWII.  During the war, when he wasn't in a Soviet gulag, he was fighting until he got a grenade explode on his back (though he kept fighting and his example helped lead to a decisive victory)/. Then after the war in England, he worked as a miner, a marine insurance salesman, wrote a book, and did other jobs. He met my mom who had also served in WWII but then needed to finish high school and go to university.  She worked as a nanny and several other jobs,  A few years after my brother was born, they immigrated to the US. My dad had several jobs then worked for the US government from around 1961 or 1962 till his death in 1976. He had a pension and we got survivor's benefits/  He also worked in my mom's little book store business.  My mom worked as a language teacher and bank worker from 1976 till her death in 1986.

My father was (is) in retail management, so there were employer changes, but I don't remember them being all that frequent.

When she went to work full time, my mom worked customer service for one company for probably at least 10 years. Long enough to earn a pension, anyway. (How quaint is that?  :001_huh: I'm happy for her, especially that it survived the recession. She starts collecting next year.)  Since moving away, I think she's had 3 jobs in the past 17 years, with long periods of unemployment after the layoffs. Getting hired after 50 is rough.

Dh started in his industry 17 years ago (so, at 22), as an hourly laborer. I think he's had 4 employers (and 3 stints with one company, so lots of back and forth) on his way up the ladder.  All but one switch were his choice.  His favorite company sold out to a larger corporation.  They would have kept him on, so I guess it really *was his choice, but he didn't like the new owners' offer.  Anyway, I guess it's technically lots of jobs, but one career.

Edited by Carrie12345

I haven't worked in 11 years, but before that..

1 hospital, 3 jobs (moving up to nursing) from 16-24

private practice (different town), 1.5 years

different hospital (different town), 2 years

public practice/clinic (different town), 1.5 years

Dh has worked

Company A, 1995-2000

Company B, 2000-2002

grad school and crappy job in a warehouse

Company C, 2004-2005

Company A, 2005-present

Company A somehow merged his time there, so he is considered a 17 year employee there.  

My dad retired from the state after working there for 33 years.  He bounced around a few jobs and fields before settling into that when he was 33, which my grandparents always considered borderline terrible-ness.  My FIL retired from one company after working there 42 years.  I think it was his only job.

Edited by Zinnia

DH -  Several high school/college jobs, but first job out of college -still there - 18 years.

Myself - not employed.

MIL - stayed at home and then worked two jobs before retirement.

FIL - Job #1, then training, Job #2 - 30+ years until retirement.

My mom - Job #1 - 42 years in and still going

My dad - Odd jobs until about age 22.  Then he stuck with it for 40 years until he retired.

Starting with first job after college:

Ad agency - 2 years ,(let go)

Lillian Vernon -5 years (left for next job)

Toys R Us - 10 years (retired to homeschool)

DH is too scattered. There was a career change. A couple of years with different companies, did contract work for a couple of years, then he opened his own business, then went to work for another company for health insurance. If he had not become disabled he would probably still be with that company.

Edited by kewb

My father worked for the same educational institution for pretty much his entire career. I'm not aware of him ever holding any other job (beyond a short stint in the military).

My mother worked a series of part-time jobs in young adulthood, of which I don't think any lasted more than a couple of years. She was loosely self-employed (making and selling craft items) for most of my childhood, then worked part-time again for a few years. 

So, for my parents, one was employed in the same place for 30-ish years, and the other, if you count the self-employment, held the same position for 10+.

My husband (not counting the assorted short-term and part-time jobs beginning in his teens)

Retail: 1 year (quit for a better job with more regular hours and a more convenient location)

Office manager: 1 year (quit to move up in the world)

Corporate IT position #1: 2 years (quit for a better job)

Corporate IT position #2: 3 years (quit after the company relocated and the commute became unsustainable)

Corporate IT position #3: 2 years (quit when we decided to relocate to another state)

Next 8 years - This is where the chronology gets dicey. We arrived in Florida a little over 18 years ago, and -- with one very short-term exception -- my husband has worked on the property of the same company. However, he started as a consultant, bounced around to various assignments paid through at least two different agencies while remaining consistently employed at the same location, was hired on full-time, permanent, then let go when his department was outsourced, then rehired by the agency handling the outsourcing, then rehired by the company in a different role, then let go when that department was outsourced, then rehired in a lower-level role, then promoted a couple of times, then found himself one of the only "survivors" when that department was outsourced. That all happened over the course of about eight years.

Stable position with the same company: 4 years (let go when the division was reorganized -- A few weeks after he had cleaned out his desk and had his exit interview, he was offered a different job in another department. He was technically not employed just long enough so that he lost his seniority before transitioning into the new position.)

Stayed in that role: 3 years (transferred to current position)

Current role: about 3 years

At this point, he hopes to be able to stick around until retirement, understanding that he may have to transfer to other positions along the way.

Me:

I had the usual assortment of short-term, part-time jobs during my teens and young adulthood, did a couple of years of college, then went back to work during a break from school.

Retail (bookstore) job: 1.5 years (quit when I went back to college)

After graduation:

Retail (bookstore) jobs: 2 years -- This was actually three back-to-back jobs. I started with a temporary cashier job at one place, transitioned to a temp gig with a chain and then parlayed that into a manager role. (quit to take my first "real" office job)

Editorial job #1: 2 years (quit to relocate to another state)

Editorial job #2: 1 year (quit to take a better-paying job)

Editorial job #3: 1 year (quit to avoid perishing of boredom . . . luckily one week ahead of the announcement that the company was merging with another publisher and most of our department was being disbanded)

Retail (bookstore) manager: 1 year (let go when the store closed)

Freelance/consulting/temp work: 3 years -- I used this time to develop skills and a portfolio and transition from editorial roles to . . .

Technical writing job: 2 years (left to have my daughter)

Part-time freelance editing/tech writing: 2 years (stopped seeking assignments when I was pregnant with my son and exhausted)

I didn't work again until about four years later, when I went back to part-time retail work for another: 3 years (quit when my husband was well situated and my work schedule was became inconvenient)

I then took a loooong break from paid employment while homeschooling. When my son was in his last year of doing high school and 

I had time on my hands, I started working online part-time. And, like my husband's years of bouncing around, this is where my employment chronology gets confusing, mostly because I worked several part-time gigs for the next few years, some of which overlapped. So, just in case anyone is actually trying to follow this, I'll switch here to dates.

2013 - 2016 (3 years): Part-time online tutor

2014 - 2016 (2 years): Part-time study skills/test prep teacher

2015 (summer): Full-time, temporary standardized test scorer

2015 - 2016 (just over one semester): Part-time substitute teacher

2015 - 2016 (one semester): Part-time online English teacher

2016 - present (1.5 years): Technology trainer, county library

These days, I'm down to just the one job. It's still part-time, but I'm at 32 hours a week spread over five days, which makes it challenging to juggle anything else alongside. Basically, as I've settled in and added hours there, I've gradually cut back on and then dropped everything else. I'm hoping that a full-time position will become available in the next year and that I will get promoted into that. And I further hope that I'll be able to stay put with this employer for the next 13-15 years, until retirement. 

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

Grandad (born in 1922) worked for the public service utility company for 40+years before retiring.

Step-dad (75) served in the military for 4 years, then as a printer for a big city newspaper for 35 years.  He retired just as his job became obsolete due to technology.

Dad (75)  was in the military for 4 years, then worked for Motorola running the local parts division for 40 years.  Motorola ceased to exist 10 years after he retired. 

Mom (72) was a secretary for the state government for about 10 years.  She stayed home full time when she married my step-dad when my brother and I were 3 and 4.  Then she worked at a flower shop part time as a floral designer for about 10 years starting when we were in high school.

My husband (50) writes computer software.  10 years at Motorola. (No longer exists. People took buyouts and were let go are a huge scale there at the end. He walked away 5 years before that happened.) Then 12 years for a then start up local engineering company owned by former Motorola employees.  There were ups and downs that nearly closed them down a couple of times. Plenty of high quality engineers had to be let go due to the downs.  My husband hadn't had a raise in 10 years. Now they're up and strong. For the last 5 years he's been a programmer/consultant working as a contractor.   He's worked for the same industrial laser company for 5 years. Being a contractor increases our income and his job opportunities.

I (44) got married at 20 when I was working part time at a daycare center and was at community college.  I stayed home as we started our family right away after we got married.

Brother (45) got hired on at Intel in the microchip factory right out of high school and is working as a machinist.  He's been at it 22 years now and survived endless rounds of layoffs where they fire or buy out higher paid experienced employees when possible and replace them for lower paid entry level people.  Don't be impressed when Trump takes credit publicly for growing business with Intel in AZ.  Lots of high quality long term employees were cut and replaced with new cheaper workers and it's business as usual for decades.  My brother has survived all cuts so far.

Brother's wife (46) has worked for a dozen different companies doing accounting and property management with her accounting degree.  When the housing bubble burst here she went back to school for an MBA. She just got her realtor's license and is selling houses.

My Dad- job 1 x 10? Years (decided to change careers)

Job 2 x 20+? Years (downsized)

Job 3- 1 year (downsized)

Early retirement

My mom- job 1 x 2 years (career change)

Job 2 x 30+ years (retirement)

DH and I job change every 1-3 years due to relocation or career change. Recently for me- homeschooling DS (not working x 4 years). DH currently at same job x 4 years, likely to stay another 10 and hopefully early retirement. I may go back or not, or career change.

Edited by displace