Menu

High School senior project - Some kids are in for a rude awakening

snowbeltmom

I have a feeling the kids know this is all BS.  I think they think it's funny to send something like that and don't expect your dh to do what they requested.

Or maybe they're really that dumb...who knows.  But most likely they snickered and sniggered the whole time they wrote it and thought it was hiLARious.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Wow is right!  Can't believe they have the gall to ask him to lie but then they are teenagers who think the world revolves around them.  They are in for a serious awakening about how life really works.  

I have a feeling the kids know this is all BS.  I think they think it's funny to send something like that and don't expect your dh to do what they requested.

Or maybe they're really that dumb...who knows.  But most likely they snickered and sniggered the whole time they wrote it and thought it was hiLARious.

Maybe, but this is part of their high school graduation requirement.  The other kids in years past have shown up on time and taken it seriously.

• Like 4

Maybe, but this is part of their high school graduation requirement.  The other kids in years past have shown up on time and taken it seriously.

Well, they could be that stupid then.  People are all just so strange.  I think your dh should immediately send this to the teacher and let him/her sort this out.  And if your DH has the authority, he should rescind the offer for those two to work at his company.  

• Like 15

My best guess is that whoever sent that email did so by accident. It most probably was an in-joke that they never intended to mail. Alas, there it is now, in the sent mail box, whoops!

It could also totally be that someone is that stupid and/or desperate!

Edited by Mabelen
  • Like 1

I disagree. I've know enough teens to know that there are more than a few who really believe he would lie for them. Some of them have parents who get them out of anything they don't want to do and they expect other people will do it too.

• Like 9

I disagree. I've know enough teens to know that there are more than a few who really believe he would lie for them. Some of them have parents who get them out of anything they don't want to do and they expect other people will do it too.

I do believe there are parents like this. It works really well until it doesn't and then it is really bad.

• Like 2

I do believe there are parents like this. It works really well until it doesn't and then it is really bad.

Well, as much as I'd hoped it was some sort of joke by kids who knew they were being stupid, it's sad to hear that people would think this would actually work.  Their ethics are so low that they believe everyone is as dishonest as they are.  To assume that strangers will lie for you means they must lie so much that they think it's completely normal.

• Like 5

Wow.

I hope they get some real world consequences for this and learn some important lessons now that could save them a lot of pain in life.

I asked my H if he was planning on forwarding the email to the school.  He said he is not, but if the school calls, he is not covering for these kids. 

The email is shocking to me on multiple levels.  I can't even get past the fact that the kid addressed my H by his first name, let alone asking him to lie for them. 

• Like 6

I wonder if they left their account open and someone else typed it and sent it thinking it was a joke.  It seems to unreal to be true from the kids in question...

But then again, the kids didn't show up, so maybe they are blowing this whole thing off and looking to challenge the system?  (However, why would they write this if that were the case?)

Then there's the third possibility... Drugs/alcohol induced thinking.  (sigh)

I suspect I'd be on the phone inquiring with the school person in charge to see how they want it handled.

• Like 2

I know! I always chuckle at the idea that lying is some kind of newfangled thing. ;)

Lying isn't, but asking a businessman you don't know at all to lie for you in an e-mail like that is one I've never heard or nor experienced IRL before - with the past 17 years spent working in a high school.

• Like 4

How bizarre! I sure hope that is not an accurate representation of their generation.

Well, there were plenty of jerks in my generation growing up, so I don't assume that random kids or even a group of kids represent the entire generation.

• Like 6

I asked my H if he was planning on forwarding the email to the school.  He said he is not, but if the school calls, he is not covering for these kids. 

The email is shocking to me on multiple levels.  I can't even get past the fact that the kid addressed my H by his first name, let alone asking him to lie for them. 

It might be kinder to these kids to let the school know what is going on while there is still time for them to meet the requirement.  If there is time for them to meet the requirement.  But if I were the person in the company who was in charge of these kids, I would either ask that they do their internship somewhere else or else sign something committing to specific work requirements.  I would be afraid that kids with that sort of attitude could damage customer perception of the company. 

• Like 20

It might be kinder to these kids to let the school know what is going on while there is still time for them to meet the requirement.  If there is time for them to meet the requirement.  But if I were the person in the company who was in charge of these kids, I would either ask that they do their internship somewhere else or else sign something committing to specific work requirements.  I would be afraid that kids with that sort of attitude could damage customer perception of the company. 

I would be surprised if there would be time for them to meet the requirement with someone else at this point.  Plus, they are on record with the school of doing the project at our company and would then have to explain why they didn't do the project with our company.  Good point about the potential damage to customer perception if these kids actually do decide to show up. 

ditto!  Is he going to email the kids to let them know he wont lie for them and make other arrangements because their request is unacceptable.   I'd would, along with a caveat that if they don't, he will be notifying the school.  I know he probably doesn't want to be the one who affects the possibility of them not being able to graduate, but the damage is on them, not him. They have to be responsible for the consequences. 

• Like 2

ditto!  Is he going to email the kids to let them know he wont lie for them and make other arrangements because their request is unacceptable.   I'd would, along with a caveat that if they don't, he will be notifying the school.  I know he probably doesn't want to be the one who affects the possibility of them not being able to graduate, but the damage is on them, not him. They have to be responsible for the consequences. 

Yes, this is why he is not planning on notifying the school.  But, if the school contacts him, he is going to let them know what transpired.  He has not responded yet to the kid's email.   He has never encountered anything like this before.  All of the other kids have been professional and respectful. 

Well, if he doesn't contact the school they won't have that rude awakening of your thread title. They'll have beaten the system and will get to graduate without having filled a requirement that their classmates had to complete. OTOH, if this one thing will prevent them from graduating I can see your dh not wanting to be the one who tells the school. 

Is there any paperwork that has to be signed by the business owner stating the students did in fact show up?

• Like 12

This is such a difficult situation.  I am sorry.

I understand that your dh doesn't want to rock the boat.

But, in my opinion, the boat needs to be rocked.  What these kids are trying to do is cheat.  They are being very dishonest.  And they are assuming that your dh will cover for them.

And if he doesn't report this email, he is covering for them.

But if the kids find out that he turned them in, would they retaliate against him or his business?

I think that he needs to let the school know so that they can handle the situation without letting the kids know that he reported them.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 9

Well, if he doesn't contact the school they won't have that rude awakening of your thread title. They'll have beaten the system and will get to graduate without having filled a requirement that their classmates had to complete. OTOH, if this one thing will prevent them from graduating I can see your dh not wanting to be the one who tells the school. 

Is there any paperwork that has to be signed by the business owner stating the students did in fact show up?

We have never had any students from this school district intern with us before.  However, all of the other school districts of the students who have interned in the past did send paperwork for us to complete at the conclusion of the internships.  I don't know how this district handles it, but it seems based on that email that these students just think that the district just randomly calls various companies. 

• Like 1

Just curious...those of you who think my husband should forward the email to the school, would you feel that way even if you knew for sure that doing so would prevent these two kids from graduating with their class because they were lacking this credit?

• Like 3

This is such a difficult situation.  I am sorry.

I understand that your dh doesn't want to rock the boat.

But, in my opinion, the boat needs to be rocked.  What these kids are trying to do is cheat.  They are being very dishonest.  And they are assuming that your dh will cover for them.

And if he doesn't report this email, he is covering for them.

But if the kids find out that he turned them in, would they retaliate against him or his business?

I think that he needs to let the school know so that they can handle the situation without letting the kids know that he reported them.

These kids clearly lack a moral compass, so I would not rule out that possibility.

• Like 2

Just curious...those of you who think my husband should forward the email to the school, would you feel that way even if you knew for sure that doing so would prevent these two kids from graduating with their class because they were lacking this credit?

Yes.

Even without the email: if it is a graduation requirement they are not fulfilling, it is no different than not having taken the required number of math or English classes. 

With that email? Hell no, they should not graduate and be let lose on society, They need some more time to ponder what it means to be an adult.

Also, if they claim they have interned with your DH's company, his good name is on the line if it comes out that they never did the work. And it will, because they will  brag about it once they received their diploma. He should protect his reputation.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 48

This situation could be compared a 12th grade English teacher with a grade book.  If the kid gets *this* score he fails and he won't graduate.  But if the teacher plays with the test scores...

Yes, I would let the school know that they have not shown up and I would also send a copy of the email.  He will be giving the school the information they need to determine if the students deserve to graduate.

• Like 12

Yes - I would turn them in because they asked your DH to lie for them. No contact or an email apologizing for not being there with a promise to be there this week and I would just see what happens.

But ask me to lie for you? That's a deal breaker and I wouldn't have you working for me.

• Like 10

Personally, I'd want the school to know in time to work with these kids as a teaching moment.  It probably still can be done TBH.

Then too, I wouldn't want these kids to graduate if it came down to that.  I don't like seeing folks who cheat the system succeeding and teaching others to follow their path.

If I were in your hubby's shoes, I wouldn't want any part of cheating the system either.  If it gets out later, does he want to others to know he knew about this and did nothing?  He's supervising the interns, right?

• Like 15

This situation could be compared a 12th grade English teacher with a grade book.  If the kid gets *this* score he fails and he won't graduate.  But if the teacher plays with the test scores...

Yes, I would let the school know that they have not shown up and I would also send a copy of the email.  He will be giving the school the information they need to determine if the students deserve to graduate.

...and when I was a teacher, I was put under pressure to do just that for a senior who had not done one bit of work all semester.  

Good grief.  I would totally let the school know AND I would do so because this kind of shenanigan is going to ruin that program for everyone else.

If it were me as the head of the company, I would forward the email on to the school and let them sort it out. As a PP said, if there is paperwork to turn in, people who would ask a businessman to lie would probably forge his signature, too. Chances are, if the school isn't notified by the business, and they don't randomly call, these kids will get away with the deception. That could emboldened them to other deceptions in the future.

• Like 11

I asked my H if he was planning on forwarding the email to the school. He said he is not, but if the school calls, he is not covering for these kids.

The email is shocking to me on multiple levels. I can't even get past the fact that the kid addressed my H by his first name, let alone asking him to lie for them.

Maybe your husband will reconsider. These kids are almost legal adults and I think in the long run it's kinder to hold them accountable. It would be a hard lesson, but it's one of those life experiences that have the potential to permanently change someone. This may be the wake up call they need.

• Like 18