Menu

High School senior project - Some kids are in for a rude awakening

snowbeltmom

I don't agree with the requirement in the first place. So it would be hard for me to get too upset about it. I'd be annoyed by being asked to lie, but not quite sure I'd have the result I wanted by doing anything about it.

If you didn't agree with the program in the first place, you wouldn't have taken on the interns.

• Like 1

If you didn't agree with the program in the first place, you wouldn't have taken on the interns.

How do you know what I would have done?

Geesh.  A person can't have a weird opinion?  LOL

I find it interesting that people here FREAKED out when I called a bratty kid a loser for bragging about failing a college class.  His attitude was so damn awful in class, in the elevator when I listened to him go on and on about how cool he was for flunking a test, and people thought I was picking on the poor struggling student.  I was picking on someone squandering their opportunities is what I was doing. 

• Like 3

As a parent of a PS high school graduate and as an educator who will more than likely see students like this at the CC, yes, I would definitely say something to the school. If this type of behavior is allowed to happen now, the student will do it again (things like this are much easier the second time around) and expect further concessions/favors from others in the future.

I wish your DH the best as he deals with this situation.

• Like 5

I do believe there are parents like this. It works really well until it doesn't and then it is really bad.

I know parents like this. I actually have a relative like this and her kids are messed. It is part of why that minimum high school diploma program ticks me off. Her kids skipped school, got kicked out of schools, etc, but then still graduated with a "real" diploma and graduation ceremony.

How do you know what I would have done?

Geesh. A person can't have a weird opinion? LOL

I find it interesting that people here FREAKED out when I called a bratty kid a loser for bragging about failing a college class. His attitude was so damn awful in class, in the elevator when I listened to him go on and on about how cool he was for flunking a test, and people thought I was picking on the poor struggling student. I was picking on someone squandering their opportunities is what I was doing.

You called them weird losers.

Your title of your post was "seriously, what is wrong with (some) people?"

And I tried to give you my opinion about what might have be happening in the guys' situation.

I thought it was a discussion but as the thread went on, it appeared more like a vent. Or rant. Or ranty vent. Or venty rant.

Update:  I contacted the school this morning.  The person in charge of the program was not available, so I explained the situation to her secretary.  I did ask that the school not disclose that I was the one who initiated the contact because, frankly, I would prefer not to have to deal with angry parents.  The secretary told me she understood and would relay that to the program director.  I also suggested that they check the student's email accounts, which will be easy to do since a school account was used for the communication.  

From talking with a friend this weekend who has child at this school, I learned that this program is voluntary - so these kids had the option of completing this internship or going to school.  

We have never had this problem before.  In years past, the kids showed up when they were supposed to, and we simply signed off on the forms that were sent out to us at the conclusion of the program.  I am still disgusted by that email.  Hopefully, these kids will learn a valuable lesson, but I am not too optimistic about that.  My guess is that we will be dealing with the fallout from angry parents, which is the last thing we need right now.  

• Like 35

Update: I contacted the school this morning. The person in charge of the program was not available, so I explained the situation to her secretary. I did ask that the school not disclose that I was the one who initiated the contact because, frankly, I would prefer not to have to deal with angry parents. The secretary told me she understood and would relay that to the program director. I also suggested that they check the student's email accounts, which will be easy to do since a school account was used for the communication.

From talking with a friend this weekend who has child at this school, I learned that this program is voluntary - so these kids had the option of completing this internship or going to school.

We have never had this problem before. In years past, the kids showed up when they were supposed to, and we simply signed off on the forms that were sent out to us at the conclusion of the program. I am still disgusted by that email. Hopefully, these kids will learn a valuable lesson, but I am not too optimistic about that. My guess is that we will be dealing with the fallout from angry parents, which is the last thing we need right now.

I'm glad you called! Please keep us updated. My guess is that the school will come up with some make-up assignment and you won't hear a peep.

• Like 9

I'm glad you called! Please keep us updated. My guess is that the school will come up with some make-up assignment and you won't hear a peep.

I hope you are right.  I gave my cell phone number to the secretary in case the director of the program had any additional questions.  It has been hours now, and I have not had a returned call.  Hopefully our involvement in this mess is over.

• Like 8

Ditto.  At our school guidance would be working with the kids getting them to graduate with whatever method is still available (or designed on the spot) and you wouldn't hear a thing.

Chances are the kids will be too embarrassed to bring it up to you.

Many folks get behind worthy causes.  Theirs isn't worthy.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

So the kids were just using the program as a way to skip school? They can sign up for an internship and then the school doesn't mark them absent? I asked my dh what he would do in this situation. He said he would immediately forward the email to the program director. He was worried that it would make his business look bad if it got around that he knew the students weren't doing the project and he didn't report it. He also wondered what would happen if the students were allowed to miss school because they were expected to be at his business and then something bad happened to them. He didn't trust that the school wouldn't say, "Well, they were supposed to be at X business and the business owner didn't notify us that they didn't show up." Unlike another poster, he was more worried that *not* reporting it would ruin his business reputation.

• Like 10

So the kids were just using the program as a way to skip school? They can sign up for an internship and then the school doesn't mark them absent? I asked my dh what he would do in this situation. He said he would immediately forward the email to the program director. He was worried that it would make his business look bad if it got around that he knew the students weren't doing the project and he didn't report it. He also wondered what would happen if the students were allowed to miss school because they were expected to be at his business and then something bad happened to them. He didn't trust that the school wouldn't say, "Well, they were supposed to be at X business and the business owner didn't notify us that they didn't show up." Unlike another poster, he was more worried that *not* reporting it would ruin his business reputation.

We never had any communication with the school about the internship.  The kids were the ones who approached my husband.  Who knows if the school did have a form that we were supposed to sign outlining the program along with our responsibilities, but it never made it to us.  If there was such a form outlining the requirements, at this point, my guess would be that these kids forged a signature,but that would be pure speculation on my part.

I don't agree with the requirement in the first place.  So it would be hard for me to get too upset about it.  I'd be annoyed by being asked to lie, but not quite sure I'd have the result I wanted by doing anything about it.

Can you tell me why you don't agree with the requirement?

We have a similar requirement at the school where I teach, and it's one of the things I really like about the school.  

• Like 1

Silence implies consent.

No. It doesn't. That's an overly simplistic conclusion and I would be very hesitant to ever make that leap. Silence can imply a lot of things including fear or concern. I would never assume a person's silence on anything is indicative of consent, as you have no idea what other threats that person may be under or reasons you aren't privy to.

We never had any communication with the school about the internship.  The kids were the ones who approached my husband.  Who knows if the school did have a form that we were supposed to sign outlining the program along with our responsibilities, but it never made it to us.  If there was such a form outlining the requirements, at this point, my guess would be that these kids forged a signature,but that would be pure speculation on my part.

That just strikes me as so odd. (Not doubting anything you're saying.) From a liability standpoint, you would think the school would have wanted to cover itself if students are participating in a school-sanctioned off-campus activity. Glad you have this situation off your shoulders!

• Like 1

Our school doesn't connect students with those they shadow either.  Part of the learning process is the student contacting someone themselves. 

However, in your situation, the kids connected you with the school by freely telling you they were cheating the system.

When/if you didn't know - no big deal on your part.  Once they filled you in, then it was "on you."  It's pretty much like any other person confessing a "crime" to you.  Once you know, you're part of the crime.  By letting the school know, you've done your part.

• Like 3

That just strikes me as so odd. (Not doubting anything you're saying.) From a liability standpoint, you would think the school would have wanted to cover itself if students are participating in a school-sanctioned off-campus activity. Glad you have this situation off your shoulders!

Maybe the parents had to sign a contract stating that they would be responsible for ensuring that their child was where he was supposed to be?  I really have no idea how it works.  In the past, we only signed papers at the end, but we have never had a student from this district before.

As a business owner, I can tell you that there would be no chance in Hades that I would sign a document accepting that type of responsibility, though.  I think that it would be very difficult to get business owners to participate in this program if they felt that they had to babysit these kids and follow up with the school if they didn't show up.

I haven't heard anything from anyone, so I am hoping that this situation is off our shoulders. 

• Like 3

Glad you reported it! Maybe you will save that child some heartache later!

I thought of this thread today over dinner...hubby got an email from a student due to receive a failing grade...the student was concerned that med schools would see the F on his transcript, and since he has to retake the class this summer anyway? He had the audacity to suggest that hubby simply put in a passing grade for now😳

• Like 1

Can you tell me why you don't agree with the requirement?

We have a similar requirement at the school where I teach, and it's one of the things I really like about the school.  

I'm not who you originally asked, but I also think it is a moronic requirement...or I did think that until I learned it is actually optional, in which case I think it is a fine option to offer students.

It's not even so much the program, as the timing.  You have these students who are on the brink of graduating.  Some might be scrambling to finish up course work or prepare for AP tests, others are searching for summer employment, beginning to pack for college, dealing with the stress of facing a huge life change, etc.  

I don't understand what the school expects the students to actually learn in a pretend internship.  It sounds like the program only lasts a few days, and the students do little if any work, certainly nothing intellectually stimulating (how could a business trust a high school student they have only known for a few days with anything real or worthwhile?).  It sounds like a glorified take your child to work day.  At the end, the student has has a vague, surface introduction to how that particular company organizes its personnel, inventory, files, etc., but I doubt the students internalize much of it if their brains are buzzing with finishing high school and starting college.  And it's not like any of that info will be particularly useful in the future when the student goes to work at a different company.

If, instead, the goal is to teach students to be good employees, well, 1) I think that is a lesson best taught before May of senior year, and 2) I doubt that students who haven't figured out in 18 years how to be respectful and punctual will suddenly see the light and learn their lesson after shadowing some random employees for a few days.

Wendy

• Like 2

I'm not who you originally asked, but I also think it is a moronic requirement...or I did think that until I learned it is actually optional, in which case I think it is a fine option to offer students.

It's not even so much the program, as the timing.  You have these students who are on the brink of graduating.  Some might be scrambling to finish up course work or prepare for AP tests, others are searching for summer employment, beginning to pack for college, dealing with the stress of facing a huge life change, etc.  

I don't understand what the school expects the students to actually learn in a pretend internship.  It sounds like the program only lasts a few days, and the students do little if any work, certainly nothing intellectually stimulating (how could a business trust a high school student they have only known for a few days with anything real or worthwhile?).  It sounds like a glorified take your child to work day.  At the end, the student has has a vague, surface introduction to how that particular company organizes its personnel, inventory, files, etc., but I doubt the students internalize much of it if their brains are buzzing with finishing high school and starting college.  And it's not like any of that info will be particularly useful in the future when the student goes to work at a different company.

If, instead, the goal is to teach students to be good employees, well, 1) I think that is a lesson best taught before May of senior year, and 2) I doubt that students who haven't figured out in 18 years how to be respectful and punctual will suddenly see the light and learn their lesson after shadowing some random employees for a few days.

Wendy

This is why our school does it junior year and it's shadowing rather than interning.  Kids are supposed to pick a field they truly think they want to go into - any (legal) field at all - and organize a shadowing day with someone in that field.  Then they get to legally skip school and shadow that person.  The person signs a paper afterward saying they completed the shadowing.  The student fills out a paper about things they did/learned.

By junior year kids should either have an idea of what they might want to do - or literally start thinking about it - but nothing is set in stone.  If they follow that vet/engineer/chef/construction worker/whoever they get an idea of what a typical day is like and that person tells them a bit more about the job in general.  Some come back knowing that's the direction they want to go.  Others come back knowing they need to find something else.  In junior year, there's still time to alter course since college apps aren't in yet and senior class selection has yet to be done.

This is also required in our school as part of a graduation requirement, not optional.  I think it's a great idea personally.

Doing something senior year right before graduation seems a little too late IMO.  It makes me wonder if the kids in question waited longer than they were supposed to?

• Like 2

This is why our school does it junior year and it's shadowing rather than interning.  Kids are supposed to pick a field they truly think they want to go into - any (legal) field at all - and organize a shadowing day with someone in that field.  Then they get to legally skip school and shadow that person.  The person signs a paper afterward saying they completed the shadowing.  The student fills out a paper about things they did/learned.

By junior year kids should either have an idea of what they might want to do - or literally start thinking about it - but nothing is set in stone.  If they follow that vet/engineer/chef/construction worker/whoever they get an idea of what a typical day is like and that person tells them a bit more about the job in general.  Some come back knowing that's the direction they want to go.  Others come back knowing they need to find something else.  In junior year, there's still time to alter course since college apps aren't in yet and senior class selection has yet to be done.

This is also required in our school as part of a graduation requirement, not optional.  I think it's a great idea personally.

Doing something senior year right before graduation seems a little too late IMO.  It makes me wonder if the kids in question waited longer than they were supposed to?

No, the kids in this district are all seniors and are all completing this now.  No word from the school or the parents, so I am thinking we are done with this problem. 

• Like 5

This seems a lot more worthwhile to me.  I could even see kids shadowing 3-5 different people over the course of sophomore and junior years - either all in the same profession, slightly different facets of the same profession, or complete different professions.

It makes sense to do earlier in high school, when students still have time to change their trajectory...or increase their motivation.

Also, one day of shadowing someone seems just right - an easier commitment for most professionals to make, just long enough to get a feel for the job, but not so long that the professionals have to start making up busywork for the students.

Wendy

• Like 5