Menu

High School senior project - Some kids are in for a rude awakening

snowbeltmom

Just curious...those of you who think my husband should forward the email to the school, would you feel that way even if you knew for sure that doing so would prevent these two kids from graduating with their class because they were lacking this credit?

Yes, I would.  Obviously this is a symptom of ongoing actions by these two to get out of a requirement.  If they pulled this with your husband, no telling what else they've done.  If they get away with this, it could snowball because they will tell other kids about an easy way to get out of doing the work and just use your hubby's company.  I agree with regentrude - it's your husband business reputation on the line.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 9

The school is trusting the businesses to partner with them to teach the students various things about the business, to hold them accountable, and to help them begin to transition into the adult world. I'd argue he almost has a responsibility to share the information.

Edited by Barb_
  • Like 23

Well, there were plenty of jerks in my generation growing up, so I don't assume that random kids or even a group of kids represent the entire generation.

Jeff Spicoli.

Bill and Tes before their excellent adventure.

• Like 1

Others have said it, but I, too, would be concerned the kids would forge my name on paperwork with regard to my business. If they send emails asking for a cover up lie, that would certainly not be "beneath" them. I would worry it would somehow come back to bite dh if he did not bring it to someone's attention right away.

• Like 11

Maybe your husband will reconsider. These kids are almost legal adults and I think in the long run it's kinder to hold them accountable. It would be a hard lesson, but it's one of those life experiences that have the potential to permanently change someone. This may be the wake up call they need.

And sooner more than later as it *also* gives them time to recover...which is OK by me.  Maybe they can walk the line but not get their diplomas until the work is completed at double-time.  Something.  Young adults can make mistakes but I think there is also room to learn from them without putting down the hammer.  

I know that in my son's case, he did something really dumb his last semester and the school really came alongside him to give him an opportunity to make it to the finish line, albeit without a great report card.  It was a beautiful gesture, one he did not accept, but it was grace-filled and at least he had the opportunity to recover from a series of bad decisions.  

(Writing this has brought it all forward for me.  What a horrible time that was in my life.  That the school didn't just bring down the hammer was grace for me, too, and it also put the responsibility straight on my kid...so it was very clear he had no one to blame but himself.). 

Just curious...those of you who think my husband should forward the email to the school, would you feel that way even if you knew for sure that doing so would prevent these two kids from graduating with their class because they were lacking this credit?

Absolutely. They did not meet the requirement, even if they didn't ask him to lie for them. If they showed up, did crappy work, texted their bros and snap chatted their girlfriends half the day but met some sort of minimal requirement I would agree that they met the requirements at a minimal level. These guys didn't even do that. Not even close.

If your DH didn't get his email, the kids didn't show up, and he was never contacted by the school, then I would say he has no knowledge of any wrongdoing and should let it go, possibly under the assumption that they found something better suited to their future goals or schedule and didn't have the courtesy to inform him.

But he knows.

In most states, homeschoolers have to meet requirements, and many homeschoolers who do immensely above and beyond even the most stringent requirements live in fear that they will have to account for their work. Public schoolers have standards and other requirements that must be met. These kids need to be held accountable for that. This is a serious part of their academic work. Not some kid getting dress coded one too many times for wearing the wrong shorts to gym class.

And does you DH want a reputation as "The place to 'intern' " for people who don't want to actually work?

• Like 16

And sooner more than later as it *also* gives them time to recover...which is OK by me. Maybe they can walk the line but not get their diplomas until the work is completed at double-time. Something. Young adults can make mistakes but I think there is also room to learn from them without putting down the hammer.

I know that in my son's case, he did something really dumb his last semester and the school really came alongside him to give him an opportunity to make it to the finish line, albeit without a great report card. It was a beautiful gesture, one he did not accept, but it was grace-filled and at least he had the opportunity to recover from a series of bad decisions.

(Writing this has brought it all forward for me. What a horrible time that was in my life. That the school didn't just bring down the hammer was grace for me, too, and it also put the responsibility straight on my kid...so it was very clear he had no one to blame but himself.).

Beautifully put.

Will your husband be held liable for not notifying the school that the students haven't shown up? If it is counted as a school day, I would expect he (or whoever is in charge of the interns is responsible for them during the school hours) is expected to notify absences so the school can verify they aren't absent for some concering reason like an accident. I wonder if your husband is in charge of them, they don't show up, and your husband keeps silent that it will look bad for him (especially if the kids are still under 18). IDK if that is the case. In his shoes, I may or may not report the email just cuz kids like that may go ballistic on someone who doesn't give them red carpet treatment. I know this is not a WWYD post, but I would call the school Monday and say something like, "I understand the intern students were supposed to rotate days at our company starting last week, but no students showed up. Did I have the dates wrong?" Then if the school verifies your dh's dates were correct, he or the main supervisor can kindly state the 2 interns will need to make other internship arrangements since his company does not tolerate unexcused absences. That should cover him from backlash for waiting until the end of the internship to say they never showed and get him out of having to intern unmotivated students.

Edited by TX native
  • Like 10

And does you DH want a reputation as "The place to 'intern' " for people who don't want to actually work?

As a business owner, this would be my concern.

So next year, the kids gather round and whisper amongst themselves that the ABC Company is the perfect place to intern. You don't even have to show up! Then dh gets 50 internship applications from deadbeat kids trying to game the system...

No, there is nothing positive to be gained by not nipping this in the bud.

Edited by Kinsa

My thought is that it does not do the students a service to allow them to get away with this kind of behavior now--it teaches them that such behavior is acceptable. The next time they try to pull a similar stunt the consequences may be much more severe than not being able to graduate with their class.

I don't want to ruin anyone's life, but sometimes the best way to do just that is to shield someone from a consequence.

• Like 6

Do students who lack their PE credit still graduate? What about a credit in fine arts? They need this credit for graduation. Presumably they understand that. There are consequences for blowing off PE and cutting fine arts class. Reporting it isn't keeping them from graduating. Their failing to show up and do the required work is.

There's the issue, too, of your business's reputation with the district. The district is expecting something specific from the business owners who participate, does it not? Why risk it for these kids by not saying anything?

• Like 10

As a business owner, this would be my concern.

So next year, the kids gather round and whisper amongst themselves that the ABC Company is the perfect place to intern. You doing even have to show up! Then dh gets 50 internship applications from deadbeat kids trying to game the system...

No, there is nothing positive to be gained by not nipping this in the bud.

I don't know if we will be agreeing to host a high school intern again, to be honest.  We just don't need this type of aggravation.

• Like 2

I don't know if we will be agreeing to host a high school intern again, to be honest. We just don't need this type of aggravation.

I don't blame you for feeling that way, but if you guys call these kids out on this and word gets out you'll probably only get the best candidates after this

• Like 9

I think I might have sympathy if the email hadn't been so absurd. Like, if the kid had been like, they may be calling to check, I know I screwed up, but I'd like to make it right... Okay. Fine.

But the cockiness of it. They deserve to be told on. And hopefully they have time to make it right before graduation. But if they don't, that's not your problem.

• Like 16

Yes, this is why he is not planning on notifying the school.  But, if the school contacts him, he is going to let them know what transpired.  He has not responded yet to the kid's email.   He has never encountered anything like this before.  All of the other kids have been professional and respectful. 

Forwarding the email to the school is not what will prevent the students from graduating with their class. Their lack of involvement in the internship and the inappropriate email is the cause. Your husband bears no responsibility for their actions. He does, however, bear the responsibility as a businessman and a member of his community.

I agree with other that he needs to protect his reputation and that of his company. It is possible that these students are forging, or planning to forge,  his signature on documentation of completed work. He also doesn't want to get the next batch of lazy students who think they can get away with the same tricks. If he continues with high school internships, he wants to attract the good students, not the worst students (academically or otherwise).

Unfortunately, high schools are familiar with seniors who decide to blow off parts of assignments, entire assignments and even entire courses. Many times they will have a mechanism in place that will allow the students to make up their grade in time to graduate. In any case, that is not your husbands' responsibility. Graduating from high school is the students' responsibility. 

• Like 24

Forwarding the email to the school is not what will prevent the students from graduating with their class. Their lack of involvement in the internship and the inappropriate email is the cause. Your husband bears no responsibility for their actions. He does, however, bear the responsibility as a businessman and a member of his community.

I agree with other that he needs to protect his reputation and that of his company. It is possible that these students are forging, or planning to forge,  his signature on documentation of completed work. He also doesn't want to get the next batch of lazy students who think they can get away with the same tricks. If he continues with high school internships, he wants to attract the good students, not the worst students (academically or otherwise).

Unfortunately, high schools are familiar with seniors who decide to blow off parts of assignments, entire assignments and even entire courses. Many times they will have a mechanism in place that will allow the students to make up their grade in time to graduate. In any case, that is not your husbands' responsibility. Graduating from high school is the students' responsibility. 

I loved what the golf coach/dean said:  "We've been through this rodeo before."

How about a compromise? Could he respond to the email with firmness, letting the students know that under no circumstances will he lie for them and he is currently debating forwarding the email on to the school, HOWEVER, he would be willing to give them the chance to earn their credit by ----fill in the blank---? Basically, give them a chance to do a 360, give them the very specific requirements for earning their credit, then leave it to them to either get it done or not?

I do think that in the long run (their future lives), they will be better served by holding their butts to the fire than letting them get away with it. My last choice would be to do nothing (well, besides lying for them, obviously).

• Like 4

If your DH contacts the school, these "children" might retaliate. That would be bad for your DH and your business. However, if your DH is contacted by the school, and they ask about these "children",  not quite legal adult age probably, and how they did while "working" in his business,  he can simply tell them, "they never showed up".  If your DH is contacted next year, asking if he will participate in the program, he can make an innocent comment like, "I hope they show up, the ones you scheduled last year never arrived".    Quite possible they will be incarcerated  within the next few years.  They did your DH and your business a favor by not showing up there as they were scheduled to do.  Sad.  

• Like 1

100% yes. It might be painful and annoying at 17/18, but it also has the potential to be the most important thing they learn. Like, ever.

• Like 8

Yes

• Like 1

The area schools have seniors complete a senior project their last few weeks of school. The seniors ask community business owners to give them the opportunity to intern at their company and learn about their business.

My husband was contacted by a couple of students and agreed to permit them to intern at our company.  He has done this other years and it has worked out very well.  This year, the kids have yet to show up.  My husband just forwarded me an email he received from one of the students who was supposed to be interning: (I have copied it, but deleted all names, obviously)

"Hey D*, it's B.W.  Just a heads up, our school might be randomly calling community sponsors like yourself and checking in on how senior projects are going. Hopefully they haven't called you yet but if they do: I was supposed to be there Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of last week and A was supposed to be there Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. If they ask, it'd be great if you could tell them it's been going well and there have been no problems and if they ask what we have been doing, just name some different parts of your staff that you have delegated us to . Thanks a lot and hopefully we'll see each other some time next week haha."

So this student doesn't know my husband at all, but addresses him by his first name, then asks my husband to lie for him and his friend and even offers suggestions on what to say, and then puts the entire thing in an email?  Wow.

:huh:

Yes.  Should they be prevented from graduating with their class, it will be 1) the schools' decision and 2) based entirely upon the students' failure.  The only thing that might prevent me from contacting the school would be if there were a genuine risk of harm to DH's business.  Those children would be well-served to learn a lesson in responsibility now when harm to them can be minimized, but not necessarily at the cost of harm to innocent, uninvolved parties.

• Like 3

If your DH contacts the school, these "children" might retaliate. That would be bad for your DH and your business. 

Fear of retaliation should not keep someone from making the right choices. This is the same attitude that keeps women from reporting rape and from leaving an abusive husband. If I make a decision out of fear of what a person might do, I am allowing that person to control me. In this case, what you are proposing is that this businessman allow teenagers to hold him hostage out of fear, whether it is based in reality or not. No sir! 

• Like 23

The email has put your husband in a tough spot, but since he has been asked to lie for them, he really shouldn't stay silent.  It sounds like your DH wouldn't have sought out the school administration to proactively tell them the students weren't showing up, but if he stays quiet, I feel like he is condoning their behavior if the school doesn't have the bandwidth to confirm they did the work. And yes, the students will tell their friends (they may already be bragging about blowing off the assignment) that they didn't do the work and there was no immediate consequence.  Your husband could also choose to reply and cc school admin with times this next week / two weeks the work could be completed so that they stay in compliance with the project even though they didn't show up the first week.  But, I wouldn't reply to the student without the school copied.  

• Like 11

Yes. If they do not fulfill the requirement and they know they need it to graduate, then they deserve to not graduate on time. It is a good life lesson and better learned early than late. If it is some sort of crazy mix up, it is the school who should sort it out not your husband.

• Like 9

100% yes. It might be painful and annoying at 17/18, but it also has the potential to be the most important thing they learn. Like, ever.

My car was smash-and-grabbed a few years ago.  When we were talking to my 11-yo son about it, dh said he hoped the police would catch the perps soon.  DS thought that was mean...they didn't take much (only my Daytimer with every single Santa/kid photo in it...grrr).  Dh explained that they needed to be caught so that they could be corrected before they went on to do more dangerous and damaging things...and also to protect other people who might be hurt more than we were if they continued do this.  WE could afford the car repair, the tow truck, the replacement of a beautiful leather daytimer.  Many people cannot.  

And so on.

But yeah...he is right, and it is a lot better to learn a hard lesson sooner than later.  

Fear of retaliation should not keep someone from making the right choices. This is the same attitude that keeps women from reporting rape and from leaving an abusive husband. If I make a decision out of fear of what a person might do, I am allowing that person to control me. In this case, what you are proposing is that this businessman allow teenagers to hold him hostage out of fear, whether it is based in reality or not. No sir! 

I'd be more worried about a bad business reputation if it got out that I helped them.  Kids don't often cause damage or retaliate.  Talking with whoever is in charge at school can provide an insight if there is anything to be worried about.

• Like 7

We've had COLLEGE students pull something similar! Hey, we have to teach 8 hours of outdoor ed for prof so-and-so's class. Can we come in TOMORROW to Scouts and teach for an hour and you sign us off? The real kicker is that one of the profs expected us to do that! She wrote a letter to the paper saying that we weren't being friendly to the students, as Scouts are supposed to be! Um, we contacted the department head, and the dean, and explained just what happened. And told her that HER students would no longer be working with our troop.

Same here. Good university with the high standards and students know it are welcome to come work with our 4H STEM club in order to fulfill a requirement. Crappy state U has sent one too many who did not show, and expected to get away with it which is typical of this school which does not attract motivated students most of the time.

I can see where some kid might have drafted the email and meant to send it to a friend as a ha ha "don't you just wish we could send...." and then accidentally sent it to the OP'so husband, but I suspect that it will not turn out to be that.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

My kids were once in a youth group setting for a multi-church competition - Bible bowl and other events. I had a run-in with the Service Projects coach, because although the rules clearly stated that all projects must be complete by a certain date, and could not still be in progress, she told the parents to just sign the form anyway, whether their kid's project was done or not!

She planned to submit a record of completion, even though half the kids had projects still unfinished. According to her ethics, they'd done SOME of it, so they'd learned the pertinent lessons, and they could finish the rest on their own time.

And then she was offended that I was offended. As far as I know, I was the only parent who had a problem. (No, we don't still go to that church.)

There are unlimited people out there, waiting to encourage young people to game every system and steal every advantage. There are fewer people taking the time, trouble, and risk to hold young adults accountable, and teach them the lessons they need to learn.

• Like 9

Yes!! Your husband is not preventing them from meeting requirements! They didn't meet the requirements!!

• Like 12

And, as a parent of a high school kid who works really hard to jump through all the hoops, it is maddening and totally unfair when a kid like the one in the OP gets the same credit!!

• Like 21

And, as a parent of a high school kid who works really hard to jump through all the hoops, it is maddening and totally unfair when a kid like the one in the OP gets the same credit!!

Yes. It degrades the meaning of the words credit and requirement.

• Like 11

OP, the way I see it, this internship program is based on reciprocal agreement - each party agrees to do its part. I'd think it reasonable for the school to fully expect your dh to let admin know if the kids had not shown up. Personally, I wonder why he didn't call on Friday at the latest after a week of no students. I wonder if the school will wonder the same thing. I believe it's his "duty" to let the school know.

Plus all the other great arguments from the folks here, with the icing on the cake being what Moxie said about how it shortchanges the honest kids when the slackers are allowed to slide by....your dh should definitely contact the school.

• Like 5

As the parent of a kid (still a bit younger) who might tend to see what he can get away with, I would like to encourage your DH to make sure the school knows these kids are not doing the internship. I absolutely would not want my son to get away with something like that and receive a diploma he did not earn. It's far better to learn from consequences now than get kicked out of college or something.

• Like 8

In our town the seniors can take the last week of school 'off' to do/finish their senior project.  It is supposed to be 40 hours of work.  If you intern/shadow - you can do 35 hours (or whatever you choose) and then spend 5 hours writing your presentation or making a visual, etc.  If you make tie blankets (or something) to donate to a shelter/hospital, you can count your time shopping for fabric, making the blankets, and writing your paper/project.  

I totally believe there are kids that cheat the system.  I actually have a friend whose dd procrastinated and left it until the last minute.  Her mom mentioned that she has a friend in a job field that her dd is interested that would embellish actual hours worked since she waited too long.  Way to enable....

These are the kids who will have a rude awakening in college.  Deadlines at our ps are pretty fluid and forgiving.  Do-overs are very common if assignments are poorly done.  If you save your bathroom passes during the year by not using them, you get percentage points added to your final grade.  I could go on and on.

• Like 2

OMG, that's insane.

First, I'd never let those kids come into my workplace EVER, not for a minute, if the email is legit and/ OR if they actually no-showed for scheduled shifts. 

Personally, I'd

1) respond the email with, "Is this a joke? Please call me to discuss."

2) if the kid calls and confirms the email, I'd tell him, "No. I won't be lying to anyone. Also, you are not welcome to work here, under and circumstances. I suggest you have a discussion with your parents and/or principal to figure out what you should do next. Good bye." That'd be the very last time I communicated with the kid(s).

If a parent and or school person called, I'd simply confirm that the kid(s) hadn't shown up, and that they were no longer welcome at your work place.

Unless asked about the email, I wouldn't mention it. (Not my circus, not my monkeys.)

(I.e., if a parent/administrator/teacher asked me about things, I'd answer truthfully and not hide anything. Likewise with any paperwork. I'd imagine the kids might plan to forge paperwork . . . That said, they're not my kids or my students, so their misbehavior is not my responsibility, and I simply wouldn't seek out the opportunity to bust them. They deserve it, for sure, but, personally, I'm more concerned about my business's reputation than I am about the laziness of a couple of teenagers. I would NOT put it past the teens or THEIR PARENTS to trash your business all over social media or even sue you . . . People are CRAZY.)

3) if the kid calls and it was a false email, then I'd see what they said about why they hadn't turned up and what they were doing about it. Then I'd decide if I'd let them in my workplace. Unless they'd been hospitalized and/or an immediate family member had been hospitalized, I would never give them a chance in MY workplace, so I am guessing this conversation would end with, "I'm sorry you had such difficulties, but I am not willing to have you in my workplace given the circumstances. You'll need to make other arrangements. Good bye."

..... no good deed goes unpunished ..... 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 3

The area schools have seniors complete a senior project their last few weeks of school. The seniors ask community business owners to give them the opportunity to intern at their company and learn about their business.

My husband was contacted by a couple of students and agreed to permit them to intern at our company. He has done this other years and it has worked out very well. This year, the kids have yet to show up. My husband just forwarded me an email he received from one of the students who was supposed to be interning: (I have copied it, but deleted all names, obviously)

"Hey D*, it's B.W. Just a heads up, our school might be randomly calling community sponsors like yourself and checking in on how senior projects are going. Hopefully they haven't called you yet but if they do: I was supposed to be there Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of last week and A was supposed to be there Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. If they ask, it'd be great if you could tell them it's been going well and there have been no problems and if they ask what we have been doing, just name some different parts of your staff that you have delegated us to . Thanks a lot and hopefully we'll see each other some time next week haha."

So this student doesn't know my husband at all, but addresses him by his first name, then asks my husband to lie for him and his friend and even offers suggestions on what to say, and then puts the entire thing in an email? Wow.

Idiots.

OP, the way I see it, this internship program is based on reciprocal agreement - each party agrees to do its part. I'd think it reasonable for the school to fully expect your dh to let admin know if the kids had not shown up. Personally, I wonder why he didn't call on Friday at the latest after a week of no students. I wonder if the school will wonder the same thing. I believe it's his "duty" to let the school know.

Plus all the other great arguments from the folks here, with the icing on the cake being what Moxie said about how it shortchanges the honest kids when the slackers are allowed to slide by....your dh should definitely contact the school.

When they didn't show up, we simply thought we had the dates wrong.  Franky, we are so busy that we don't have time to babysit two 18 year olds .  Every other student we have had has been responsible, respectful, and interested in learning about the business, so we take the time to offer these opportunities.  (Although, I should use the past tense because I don't think we will go to the trouble in the future.)  

• Like 2

OMG, that's insane.

First, I'd never let those kids come into my workplace EVER, not for a minute, if the email is legit and/ OR if they actually no-showed for scheduled shifts. 

Personally, I'd

1) respond the email with, "Is this a joke? Please call me to discuss."

2) if the kid calls and confirms the email, I'd tell him, "No. I won't be lying to anyone. Also, you are not welcome to work here, under and circumstances. I suggest you have a discussion with your parents and/or principal to figure out what you should do next. Good bye." That'd be the very last time I communicated with the kid(s).

If a parent and or school person called, I'd simply confirm that the kid(s) hadn't shown up, and that they were no longer welcome at your work place.

Unless asked about the email, I wouldn't mention it. (Not my circus, not my monkeys.)

(I.e., if a parent/administrator/teacher asked me about things, I'd answer truthfully and not hide anything. Likewise with any paperwork. I'd imagine the kids might plan to forge paperwork . . . That said, they're not my kids or my students, so their misbehavior is not my responsibility, and I simply wouldn't seek out the opportunity to bust them. They deserve it, for sure, but, personally, I'm more concerned about my business's reputation than I am about the laziness of a couple of teenagers. I would NOT put it past the teens or THEIR PARENTS to trash your business all over social media or even sue you . . . People are CRAZY.)

3) if the kid calls and it was a false email, then I'd see what they said about why they hadn't turned up and what they were doing about it. Then I'd decide if I'd let them in my workplace. Unless they'd been hospitalized and/or an immediate family member had been hospitalized, I would never give them a chance in MY workplace, so I am guessing this conversation would end with, "I'm sorry you had such difficulties, but I am not willing to have you in my workplace given the circumstances. You'll need to make other arrangements. Good bye."

..... no good deed goes unpunished ..... 

You and my husband are on the exact same page! 

• Like 2

It occurs to me that by covering or seeming to cover this up by failing to communicate with the school, your DH could be setting himself up to be blamed for something, falsely.  Kids who lie... well, these seem to be pretty ballsy liars. 

At a minimum, I'd save that email for a LONG time, alongside an email trail with the program coordinator and cc the principal.  I would not have only phone conversations, unless I followed them with an email that began, "As we discussed..." 

• Like 3

Had they just not shown up, whatever, I wouldn't report them. But that email, whoa, no chance I'm not letting a teacher know about that!! My sense of justice couldn't let that go.

• Like 4

It occurs to me that by covering or seeming to cover this up by failing to communicate with the school, your DH could be setting himself up to be blamed for something, falsely.  Kids who lie... well, these seem to be pretty ballsy liars. 

At a minimum, I'd save that email for a LONG time, alongside an email trail with the program coordinator and cc the principal.  I would not have only phone conversations, unless I followed them with an email that began, "As we discussed..." 

The school has never been involved in any communications.  The students were the ones who asked to intern.  Our "agreement" was with two legal adults, not the school system. 

• Like 2

I read only a few replies. It seems to me if these internships are a requirement for graduation, someone from the school will follow up on attendance. And yes, I would also be inclined to forward the email. This is a good lesson to learn now while they are young and not that much is at stake. Worst case scenario, they have to redo a semester but I bet it won't even come to that.

However, the lesson that you cannot glibly ask someone whom you have approached for a favor (an internship is a favor in that the employer has to teach something even though the intern may not get paid and it's a potential risk as Jean mentioned) to lie for you and treat them as if they were your buddy is a necessary life lesson.

Please ask your dh not to deprive them of this learning experience.

Let us know if the school followed up. I cannot believe some kid had the gall to write this. The fact that it was submitted via email does not surprise me, however. They may have thought they were formal by writing an email instead of posting on your FB wall...or sending a PM.  :laugh:

• Like 3

If it was my dh I would encourage him to inform the school. If it's the first bit of trouble these boys have had they will probably be offered an opportunity to redo the project. If it's a pattern, addressing it now might be a blessing for the teens- they have to learn that they can't go through life like this. Would dh tolerate a coworker not showing up but expecting him to cover and say the worker was there?  

I wouldn't be so sure the school is going to follow up on attendance.  Lots of schools just give the students log sheets to fill out or have them write a paper about the experience. 

I think it's a formality though- I bet the school has no time or inclination to follow up on the senior project. But I'd still tell the school and let the decide whether to act on the info or not.