Menu

Better title- 😉Anyone else in love with smaller but more expensive retro refrigerators?

Peaceseeker

I was more about the bio reference.

If my dh did not require 65 different but amazingly similar condiments, that fridge would not be too small. Ours is relatively small for America but we couldn't go smaller.

We can't go bigger however so we are on the verge of going 100% fridge and getting a freezer for the adjacent laundry room and stacking the washer/dryer to make room. 🙄

Yes, but people in other countries are within 2-5 minutes of a market and go by one daily.  In my part of the world, the grocery store is often 20-40 minutes away.

Not necessarily.

I grew up in a family of five, where meat, fruit and veg were purchased fortnightly from the market about an hour away. 

Yes, but people in other countries are within 2-5 minutes of a market and go by one daily.  In my part of the world, the grocery store is often 20-40 minutes away.

That is certainly true for quite a few, however if you live in rural areas in those countries you can often be quite a distance from the market or store. We certainly were in England and yet had quite a small fridge and only went to the store a couple of times a week. I think one difference is the size of the packages and containers of things. It's just a different way of life.

• Like 2

The American obsession with large refrigerators boggles my mind.  I have no idea what people keep in them other than loads of soft drinks and beer.  I would prefer a fridge that has a larger freezer compartment and smaller refrigerator area for fruit and veg. 

Granted, we are a small family so I was never in a position of buying three gallons of milk at one time...

Also we turned off the automatic ice maker and use the ice cube box to store berries, etc. No water dispenser either as we are content with tap.

NO soda or beer here now or ever.  But we do have 5 different kinds of milk due to allergies/sensitivities.  And I have 10 pounds of lettuce that fills one drawer and another full of the additional toppings for salads (that will be enough for 4 meals only, we will eat frozen veggies for the rest of the week).  I also have a drawer full (I have 2 large fridges because one isn't big enough) or apples and one full of oranges.  Otherwise my fridge is full of leftovers and a couple hunks of frozen meat  that are thawing out for future meals, condiments, cheese, 5 dozen eggs and some fresh carrots.  I would say my fridges are about 80% full.  I went grocery shopping today, by next Tuesday the majority of that will be stripped bare other than condiments.  Summer time is worse because I buy produce in bulk and store in the fridge while I work through processing it for freezing, drying or canning.  It's not unusual to find 3-5 bushels of produce crammed in my fridge right after a shop day.

So yeah I would guess family size matters but so does how often you are willing to shop.  Once a week is all I can handle.  I don't have time to run to the store every few days to pick up something.  

• Like 3

No beer or soft drinks in ours right now. Occasionally dh has beer in there. I don't know the last time we purchased soda. We buy a 3pk of OJ from Sam's Club so sometimes we have 3 jugs of that. Things currently or often in my fridge... one or two jugs of milk (sometimes one jug of cow milk and one carton of almond), one or two containers of yogurt (been making a lot of parfaits lately), deli meat, veggies, fruit (not all of it but some), leftovers, tub of butter, ketchup, pickles, salad dressing, jello cups, cottage cheese, lettuce and some other stuff.

We are not a large family, but our main grocery stores are not close. We also have a deep freeze (small chest freezer) which is often pretty full. We typically go grocery shopping once a week. There are things that stay in the deep freeze for a long time so it's not like it's constantly replenished from scratch.

Yes, we have no beer or soda in our fridge. But two gallons of milk, 4 quarts of cottage cheese, 1 quart sour cream, 5 pounds of various cheeses, 1 quart heavy cream, bags of carrots and celery, bell peppers, five heads of lettuce, six different container of leftovers, 1 gallon of sauerkraut, 2 jars of pickles, and approximately 40 condiments of various kinds.

My little second fridge holds bread dough and five dozen eggs.

All the fruit lives on the counter, and I have a fairly large pantry and two freezers as well.

And in the course of 7-10 days we can go through pretty much everything but the ferments and condiments.

Edited by Arctic Mama

We had a tiny one when we lived abroad as we couldn't fit a full size one in the car (nor could we afford a full size one).  It was more than enough, but there were only 3 of us at the time.  It was a dorm-size fridge, maybe 2.5 ft high?

We use a lot of freezer space now, with a family of 8, but we could do with half or less of a normal fridge.  We just don't keep many cold prepared foods, so it's all fruit and vegetables (we don't eat dairy or eggs, so that cuts down on refrigerated foods too), and 2-3 days worth takes up maybe a shelf and a half and a drawer.

That Smeg is adorable.  But really, insanely expensive.  

I could totally do that size of fridge but I'm a cheapskate. I'd have to talk myself into it. It's not really that small. It's about the same as many of the smaller apartments I've lived in. My dad's is about that big in his small 1bdrm unit. I love the colors they offer.

Edited by LucyStoner

I love the Smeg fridge look but I'd not buy one just for the look. I have 2 fridges one tiny one under a counter in the kitchen and a taller one about the same height as that smeg one in our utility room. None of our rooms can accommodate a huge fridge but I can see the attraction, they're still quite uncommon here in the UK. I hate combination fridge freezers though, I've never met one that wasn't a bit of a nightmare.

12 gallons? That must be a typo.

The door of my fridge does contain a number of bottles of sauces: soy, red curry paste, Chipotle peppers... Most of what is in my fridge is produce, leftovers, or partially prepped foods. There is a drawer of cheese, bottles of homebrew and jars of homemade jam and pickles. Still room though except perhaps during the holidays...

Yes, I should have said 12L!

I was experimenting recently with fermentation to preserve veg, and I ended up being stymied by the size of my fridge.  I need a cold place for things once they are fermented enough, and I don't have a reliable cold room that won't freeze. I can work with Spring and Fall, but not summer and winter.

I think we could get along with a much smaller fridge with even a small cold pantry shelf and cold room, and I wish they would build houses to have these features that use no electricity.  For that matter, it drives me nuts that I live in Canada and am paying to refrigerate food in the winter.

• Like 2

NO soda or beer here now or ever.  But we do have 5 different kinds of milk due to allergies/sensitivities.  And I have 10 pounds of lettuce that fills one drawer and another full of the additional toppings for salads (that will be enough for 4 meals only, we will eat frozen veggies for the rest of the week).  I also have a drawer full (I have 2 large fridges because one isn't big enough) or apples and one full of oranges.  Otherwise my fridge is full of leftovers and a couple hunks of frozen meat  that are thawing out for future meals, condiments, cheese, 5 dozen eggs and some fresh carrots.  I would say my fridges are about 80% full.  I went grocery shopping today, by next Tuesday the majority of that will be stripped bare other than condiments.  Summer time is worse because I buy produce in bulk and store in the fridge while I work through processing it for freezing, drying or canning.  It's not unusual to find 3-5 bushels of produce crammed in my fridge right after a shop day.

Why do you refrigerate apples and oranges? how long do you store them that this would be necessary?

Why do you refrigerate apples and oranges? how long do you store them that this would be necessary?

I refrigerate most fruit (but not bananas) because I prefer to eat them cold. To me the flavor is much better that way than at room temperature.

• Like 6

I refrigerate most fruit (but not bananas) because I prefer to eat them cold. To me the flavor is much better that way than at room temperature.

We refrigerate all fruit but bananas (and things that need to ripen a bit). I think they stay good longer (apples get mealy when I leave them on the counter for any length of time...)

• Like 3

You live in the tropics?

No, but I can dream! :) 

The American obsession with large refrigerators boggles my mind.  I have no idea what people keep in them other than loads of soft drinks and beer.  I would prefer a fridge that has a larger freezer compartment and smaller refrigerator area for fruit and veg. 

Granted, we are a small family so I was never in a position of buying three gallons of milk at one time...

Also we turned off the automatic ice maker and use the ice cube box to store berries, etc. No water dispenser either as we are content with tap.

We are a family of three and we have a separate beverage refrigerator for soft drinks and bottled water. We still manage to fill up our huge refrigerator with gallons of milk, half and half, heavy cream, containers of juices, fruit, vegetables, lots of different cheeses, guacamole, hummus, yogurt... and that's just off the top of my head. We also have a separate upright freezer for extra frozen foods.

I'm not sure why you would think people use large refrigerators for soft drinks and beer. Some of us just have a lot of food and like variety. I also have a 17yo son, and teenage boys are hungry! ;)

Bigger fridges for bigger people. ;)

I think it is probably because Americans use a lot more prepared food and also don't go to the market as often as people in the rest of the world.

We eat out often, but when we're at home, we eat very little prepared food. I go food shopping at least a few times a week, but usually more often than that because I like fresh vegetables and some of them don't keep very long in the refrigerator. I like to cook and I use lots of ingredients. :)

I like apples cold, but moreover a lot of houses are built without a pantry, and very little storage for things like apples, etc. Unless I want them all over my counter (giving me an excuse to avoid clearing/cleaning said counter) they go in the fridge. I do live in Florida though...so room temp here is warmer than room temp most places. 

• Like 3

The Smeg fridge looks just like the ancient 1960's fridge my in laws had in their basement.

Small fridge=frequent grocery shopping. No thanks. We have two big fridges and a chest freezer, because the less often I have to go grocery shopping, the better.  :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Bigger fridges for bigger people. ;)

I think it is probably because Americans use a lot more prepared food and also don't go to the market as often as people in the rest of the world.

We rarely cook from anything but raw ingredients, we don't keep beer or soda in the house, and our main refrigerator in the kitchen is 32 cubic feet. We also have another two smaller refrigerators and a chest freezer elsewhere in the house. We grow most of our own produce and we still have six children at home so that may be part of it. Edited by LMV
  • Like 1

We are a family of three and we have a separate beverage refrigerator for soft drinks and bottled water. We still manage to fill up our huge refrigerator with gallons of milk, half and half, heavy cream, containers of juices, fruit, vegetables, lots of different cheeses, guacamole, hummus, yogurt... and that's just off the top of my head. We also have a separate upright freezer for extra frozen foods.

I'm not sure why you would think people use large refrigerators for soft drinks and beer. Some of us just have a lot of food and like variety. I also have a 17yo son, and teenage boys are hungry! ;)

Thanks Cat!

Somehow I knew you were going to make me feel better about this! To be fair our seventeen year old is a daughter but she is an athlete so she probably should be eating like a teenage boy.

• Like 1

I suppose the comments about the beer and soda in our fridges and all our pre-packaged food are in line with comments about how we all have guns and 100% of us are just itching to use them.  :)   It's a stereotype and sometimes the person who believes the stereotype doesn't even realize that they're believing a stereotype.  They just think that that really how it is because they honestly don't know any better.

I'm not insulted by the assumptions of "how Americans live", but it is jarring to bump into them. 

• Like 5

I could never get used to a refrigerator that small.  We have a huge Sub-zero refrigerator and a separate (same size) Sub-Zero freezer and we usually have them pretty filled.  We also have a separate normal-sized refrigerator in the basement for drinks.

However, I love the look of that refrigerator and I absolutely would spend the money on it if I loved it as much as you do!  It would make me happy every time I looked at it.  :)

I'm not sure if you want a smaller fridge or just a retro looking fridge, but have you seen the one on the Rachel Ray show?

http://www.everythingrachaelray.com/2007/01/want-new-old-fridge.html

Super cute!

Personally, we just bought a new fridge because the old one died.  It's somehow the same dimensions on the outside, but bigger on the inside (my dd named it "the Tardis", lol).  I love the fact that it is roomier, so I don't think I could go with a small fridge.  The Smeg is very cute though.

• Like 1

I suppose the comments about the beer and soda in our fridges and all our pre-packaged food are in line with comments about how we all have guns and 100% of us are just itching to use them.  :)   It's a stereotype and sometimes the person who believes the stereotype doesn't even realize that they're believing a stereotype.  They just think that that really how it is because they honestly don't know any better.

I'm not insulted by the assumptions of "how Americans live", but it is jarring to bump into them.

Yes, that's how I reacted when I read those comments, as well. :)

• Like 1

I suppose the comments about the beer and soda in our fridges and all our pre-packaged food are in line with comments about how we all have guns and 100% of us are just itching to use them.   :)   It's a stereotype and sometimes the person who believes the stereotype doesn't even realize that they're believing a stereotype.  They just think that that really how it is because they honestly don't know any better.

This American is the one who wondered aloud what people keep in their fridge (also noting that we are not a large family).

Admittedly I don't go snooping around in refrigerators when I visit other people's homes.  I can tell you that my best friend keeps rice in her fridge--this I learned when I was cooking at her home and searched through the pantry for rice.  I can also tell you that I have no idea what is in my sister's fridge.  One can only see the first layer of stuff on the shelf.  It requires excavation otherwise.

I did what is for us a big shop today--two farms and the grocer.  My produce drawer is not roomy enough for all of the greens (leaf lettuce, arugula, two kinds of kale).  I have two bunches of carrots with tops, one large bunch of Japanese turnips also with tops, asparagus, etc. There is a package of chicken, two dozen eggs, cow milk, almond milk, two quarts of yogurt, etc.  I think the key difference is that we are not a family with several teens. So despite the bounty, various leftovers and beer, there is still room in my smallish American fridge. 

When my son was younger and the vultures teen boys came through, I still had room in my fridge.  This makes me wonder if some have a better design than others? 

Don't be insulted.  There are things in my culture that mystify me personally.  Large refrigerators happen to be among them.

• Like 3

Well, I don't mind admitting that half of the bottom shelf of our smallish refrigerator is filled with soda, Gatorade and bottled water. I think there's some Arnold Palmer canned tea in there, too. No beer, though.

We still have plenty of room for everything else, including plenty of fresh veggies and fruits. :)

ETA: We've had the same fridge for ten years. The boys are 18 and 21. It got us through their heavy eating years just fine.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

When my son was younger and the vultures teen boys came through, I still had room in my fridge.  This makes me wonder if some have a better design than others? 

I suspect an income difference. We had three hungry teens in our household and still didn't need a large fridge. We also had the sort of budget where apples, oranges and bananas were about the only snack options (and didn't need refrigerating) and if we ran out of something before the end of the fortnight, we mostly did without. And there was definitely no soft drink other than Mum's occasional bottle of coke.

We rarely cook from anything but raw ingredients, we don't keep beer or soda in the house, and our main refrigerator in the kitchen is 32 cubic feet. We also have another two smaller refrigerators and a chest freezer elsewhere in the house. We grow most of our own produce and we still have six children at home so that may be part of it.

With six children, yes, I can well imagine you would need a bigger fridge. :)

And it seems (at least on this board) that very large families in the US are not uncommon. Average number of children in Italy (Smeg is an Italian brand) is 1.43, and most of Western Europe has similar, though slightly higher, numbers.  Guess that would also help explain why refrigerators in Europe are smaller and also why people on this board would prefer larger refrigerators.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3

I think average number of kids in the US is just under 2.

There goes that theory, then! So I am now going with the "In America, bigger = better" theory (look at our cars, our houses, our serving sizes!), combined with prepared foods, infrequent shopping, and refrigerating things that other people don't refrigerate. ;)

• Like 1

I think my frig/freezer combo is smaller than the Smeg. My husband put shelving over ours that I can just reach where I keep my large containers of staples rice, porridge oats, etc. I don't think a Smeg would fit even if I was willing to spend that kind of money.

I have a separate small under the counter freezer that is almost always in use. We also have an almost new under counter frig that we saved from our neighbours kitchen remodel that sits unused in the garage. We have never plugged it in but could expand if needed ;).

I don't shop every day but have to admit nice village shops within a five minute walk have reduced my desire to stock up which makes my refrigerator situation easier. Many condiments that I would have kept in my frig in the US are kept elsewhere in England because they actually are used pretty quickly by my family like bbq sauce. I keep ketchup in the frig because I like it cold.

Eggs I keep on the counter in a bowl. I do own a pottery egg container for my eggs(rather like a cookie jar) but prefer the bowl. My egg jar sits on a high shelf as decoration! I also keep a fruit bowl on the counter and I generally even leave my lettuce in the fruit bowl if it's going to be used in the next day. Unless I used something like a cucumber partway I just leave it out unless I know we won't really eat it for days. I normally refrigerate berries.

It works really well but the climate isn't buggy. Occasionally a few things flying around attracted to the fruit but not that often.

Eta...I have two teenagers, both at home.

Edited by mumto2

Well, our beer is not in the fridge because mostly it is in a keg in the basement. Hard cider goes in the fridge, with white wine. Gin in the freezer.

I want the smeg fridge just for my champagne ;)

Edited that this old house we moved into has his weird room off the kitchen (small as a closet but two windows and a door to the outside). It stays cold enough in the winter where I can keep my pot of bone broth in there. Now I see the benefit of a "cold room" and can't imagine life without it ;)

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 3

I only refrigerate the pre-sliced apples. Another bulk item from Sam's (two containers of pre-sliced apples). I also store other fruit in the fridge, but not our bananas or oranges. And as others mentioned, eggs. I forgot about those. I know that in Europe the egg process is different, so maybe people aren't storing theirs in the fridge. We also buy some types of bread that doesn't have preservatives so they can't be left out. Like Ezekiel English muffins.

I agree that container size has a lot to do with storage. Like if your containers aren't large and you live near the store, you're not going to hog the same amount of space as someone that doesn't live near the store and keeps a gallon or two of milk in the fridge at a time.

We don't have a bells and whistles fridge. We just have whatever was supplied (we rent). I think it's smaller than both our parents' fridges. We also do not have a built in ice maker of any kind! Not in fridge or freezer. We bought a stand alone one but haven't set it up.

Why does a fridge of that size and color need to cost 3K?  You can still get the smaller, freezer-on-top Frigidaires at any box store for about $500.  I mean, it's cute, but it's just a white fridge.  It's not 3k cute.

I have a white top-freezer fridge, but it's a good size.  That small freezer means I'll never do once-a-month cooking, but it has served our needs and now my kids are almost grown.  I swear I fill half of it with condiments.  I have a condiments problem.  I wonder how people can cook without an assortment of sauces, pastes, salad dressings, etc that aren't even part of the weekly shopping haul.  I joke that I need a separate, small fridge just for all of the condiments.  I needs to be wide and shallow like a sliding grocery fridge so I can see everything. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

There goes that theory, then! So I am now going with the "In America, bigger = better" theory (look at our cars, our houses, our serving sizes!), combined with prepared foods, infrequent shopping, and refrigerating things that other people don't refrigerate. ;)

I'm not sure why there needs to be any kind of generalization about it. I know that my family doesn't fit your theory -- we shop a lot and don't eat many prepared foods. :). I'm not sure about the "refrigerating things that other people don't refrigerate" part, though.

Does anyone really care what size refrigerator people have in their homes? It would be so weird to think that someone would visit my home and cast judgment on me because they think I have excessive refrigerator space.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

Why does a fridge of that size and color need to cost 3K?  You can still get the smaller, freezer-on-top Frigidaires at any box store for about $500.  I mean, it's cute, but it's just a white fridge.  It's not 3k cute.

I have a white top-freezer fridge, but it's a good size.  That small freezer means I'll never do once-a-month cooking, but it has served our needs and now my kids are almost grown.  I swear I fill half of it with condiments.  I have a condiments problem.  I wonder how people can cook without an assortment of sauces, pastes, salad dressings, etc that aren't even part of the weekly shopping haul.  I joke that I need a separate, small fridge just for all of the condiments.  I needs to be wide and shallow like a sliding grocery fridge so I can see everything. 

I wonder what the life cycle is.  They break down so quickly these days, if it lasts longer it might be worth it.  And power usage could be a factor as well.

In defense of the American refrigerator, and the amount of space we dedicate to condiments, do people in other parts of the world even feel compelled to cook EVERY type of food?  I could get by with a LOT fewer pastes, sauces, and spices if I would just dedicate my cooking to a single nationality and not attempt to some sort of multi-personality juggling act in the kitchen.  It is a time saver to only hit the grocery store once a week or less.  I go more often, but usually because I failed to organize my life that week.  It's nicer not to.  I CAN walk to the store in ten minutes, but it gets boring going there day after day.

• Like 4

I'm not sure why there needs to be any kind of generalization about it. I know that my family doesn't fit your theory -- we shop a lot and don't eat many prepared foods. :). I'm not sure about the "refrigerating things that other people don't refrigerate" part, though.

Does anyone really care what size refrigerator people have in their homes? It would be so weird to think that someone would visit my home and cast judgment on me because they think I have excessive refrigerator space.

;) = lighthearted, pussycat. No need to feel judged. :)

• Like 2

I love the looks of the fridge. I finally have a very large fridge and wouldn't trade for anything. I live in the U.S., but the area I live is classified as subtropics in gardening books. If produce isn't refrigerated it will not last more that 1-2 days at certain times of the year. Since we eat mostly fruit and veg, it is a convenience I really enjoy. Wouldn't most processed foods be in panty, not the fridge? Mostly everything is cooked from scratch here, and I love my fridge...just wish it looked like the OP fridge.

Edited by Silver Brook

I wouldn't judge you, but when we were looking at houses we saw a brand new one that had a restaurant size refrigerator and I saw the twinkle in my husbands eye and I said "divorce!" and dragged him out of there 😂
  • Like 1