Menu

Better title- 😉Anyone else in love with smaller but more expensive retro refrigerators?

Peaceseeker

Why do you refrigerate apples and oranges? how long do you store them that this would be necessary?

Months!  

I still have the last of my apples from the fall in my fridge that will get used up next week.  I do a lot of bake sales for fundraising and one of the things I make uses Cortland apples (and no other apple tastes as good in this recipe).  a) my cortlands cost $12 a bushel (versus in the store they cost about a dollar a pound,  a bushel is approximately 46 pounds so $46 a bushel) and b) the grocery store carries cortlands for about a month each fall and that is it.  So I store those cortlands as long as possible so I can make my stuff for my monthly fundraisers.

oranges, I buy from a group that brings them up fresh from florida but each time they come they have a different kind.  I only like certain ones so I buy 3-4 boxes and store them until they are gone.

So yeah I might store things longer than most people but it's only because what I'm storing isn't readily available anytime I might want it.

• Like 1

I like apples cold, but moreover a lot of houses are built without a pantry, and very little storage for things like apples, etc. Unless I want them all over my counter (giving me an excuse to avoid clearing/cleaning said counter) they go in the fridge. I do live in Florida though...so room temp here is warmer than room temp most places. 

I live in the north so even though I'm sure my house is a lot colder, it would never cross my mind to leave them out.  I don't like warm fruit either so if it was out on the counter, I probably wouldn't eat it.