100 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink coffee while pregnant

• Absolutely, as much as I want
    • Asbolutely, but I limit myself
    • Yes, but only because I can't function without it
    • Yes, on occasion
    • Never, I give it up while pregnant
    • I do not drink coffee at all

I wasn't a coffee drinker UNTIL I became pregnant with my youngest child. Suddenly I loved the smell of coffee and had to have some. I drank it all through my pregnancy. It was a very high risk pregnancy because I have a history of stillbirths and coffee was the least of the things to be worried about.

I didn't change my habits at all regarding caffeine.  Coffee most days and unsweet iced tea too.  I never drink sodas unless it is the only choice somewhere since I don't think they are healthy and don'[t have any cravings for them anyway.  I don't mind soda but it isn't my go to drink so why drink it unless I have to?

It still smelled good to me but I limited myself to the equivalent of one half cup caffeine wise.

And I had horrible not-just-in-the-morning sickness.

One day I got up late and didn't have time for coffee, and that was the day I noticed I wasn't as sick.  I realized that it was the coffee that was making me most nauseous, so I gave it up.

Being nauseous at the thought or smell of coffee was like a pregnancy test for me. I'm a coffee drinker but can't stand it while I'm pregnant. This made life so much easier than having to give it up.

I was the same when pregnant....especially the first trimester. I commuted to work by bus when I was pregnant. I had to get up and move in anyone sat down near me with a cup of coffee. The smell made me super nauseous. Normally, I ⤠coffee.

I answered "on occasion" but that's with the caveat that your question is more about the caffeine than any coffee at all. I switched to decaf during pregnancy and nursing--which I drank probably daily--but did occasionally have regular coffee.

I answered that I drank all the coffee I wanted.

I never drank coffee at all ever until after 5th baby was born. I started developing LOW blood orssure with her and man oh man. It's like dragging a dead elephant through quick sand when that low blood pressure hits while pregnant.

I get hypermesis with most of my pregnancies, so anything was iffy, But if it didn't make me puke and I wanted it, I drank it. Never thought anything of it bc it would take a crap ton of caffeine to cause problems with a baby. They give premies caffeine in hospital. Or they used to. I think they still do.

It's been mixed while nursing. Some of my babies didn't like it if I had too much in one batch of milk. Some I could drink continuous pots and they never cared.

If someone has high blood pressure or other issues, then of course watch the caffeine. But thats true pregnant or not. And shouldn't be just about coffee with. I've met people who give me the stink eye over a double espresso who think nothing of Mountain Dew.

When I am pregnant I only drink coffee when I *have* to be awake (driving long distances, having had a sleepless night with toddler and needing to be "on" as sole caretaker during the day, etc.).  This probably amounts to less than 10 days altogether.  Since I haven't built up a tolerance like my usual non-pregnant self, 1-2 cups is very effective.

I didn't have the same coffee habit pre-4 kids that I do now. Go figure! I couldn't keep anything down for months with my first two, so coffee wasn't happening. I drank it once I could keep it down if it sounded good with 3 and 4. I wouldn't have multiple shots of espresso, but a cup of coffee didn't concern me. 

I always gave up coffee when I was pregnant, however my midwife told me that it wasn't needed.

She said coffee was a very healthy habit to have and most decaf coffee is worse due to the method used to extract the caffeine.

I didn't drink coffee with my previous pregnancies because I wasn't a coffee drinker yet. This one, the smell of coffee made me want to puke from before I knew I was pregnant and continued for a few months. Thankfully, I'm in my 2nd trimester now and just this week I have been able to enjoy a cup again. I feel SO much better with my morning coffee. I'm sure part of it is the diminishing nausea but the caffeine kick in the morning helps me not to drag all day. 

I don't feel it is a risk to the baby in moderation. I drink one cup a day at most.

I still drink coffee, just a little less. Before I was pregnant I'd drink two or three cups a day; now I drink one or two cups a day. I pretty much just try to limit my caffeine intake to under 200mg per day like they recommend.

This. I looked up how much caffeine in my coffee and used that to judge. Two lattes a day, or two 1/2 cups of strong brewed coffee. 

• Like 1

Well, I said I didn't limit, but I could probably have picked either.

I drink far mre tea, really, but a cup isn't necessarily that different caffeine-wise.  Probably four or five cups of tea a day, some days one of those might be coffee.

For the most part I drank what I wanted, but I did at various times suffer from insomnia while pregnant so I did reduce my intake then, not that it helped much.