Menu

Texts at late hours?

Renthead Mommy

212 members have voted

1. 1. So what is a text? Should it only be done during normal calling times?

• A text is like a phone call. Unless it's an emergency, not after 9pm.
    • A text is like an email. I can send them any time I wish. Doesn't matter who I'm sending it too.
  2. 2. I don't want people texting me at 11pm if it is not an emergency.

• I should silence my phone, possibly missing an emergency.
    • I should suck it up because "I'm the only one."
    • I should tell people please don't text me this late.

I don't charge devices in my room, so if you need to call me in an emergency, you need to call the landline. 

We haven't had a landline in over 15 years. I don't know anyone who has a landline. No one. Not even my 82 yo MIL has a landline anymore.

• Like 1

Because it's apparently rude to think it's rude to text at 3am.

I graduated high school the same year as Katie's brother did, I guess (how has it been 15 years??? - and no, I wasn't 30+ when I graduated high school either).

I think it is probably more unhelpful than rude.  Seriously, finding fault like that doesn't make life better.  Etiquette is not about monitoring or judging others, it's about trying to be as considerate as possible given the situation.  

If I know someone doesn't like texts in general or texts late at night, my memory is such that I can remember that and show courtesy by not using text.  If someone can't remember though or is on a weird schedule or in a different time zone, a way to show courtesy is to just let any annoyance go.  Doubly so since you control what you hear and don't hear on your phone, down to a very granular level for most phones these days.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Exactly, it's a tool and we are all individually responsible for how we use our own tools.  If it bothers someone to get a non-urgent group text or frivolous individual text after 9 PM, then I promise that there is a way to resolve the issue (even allowing for emergencies).  Most of the people who seem bothered do not seem like they know how to use all of the features of their phone (just look at how the poll is worded).  

You are welcome to come over and help me figure this out. I've looked at the setting for the texting app, and at the device's settings. I cannot find it. I'm usually pretty decent at finding these kinds of things, so I suspect it's not an option (I'm not going to install something else to make it an option).

I'm thinking when I reach this "off watch" stage, I'm just going back to snail mail. 😆

then they just drop by.   :tongue_smilie:   just as I'm sitting down to actually indulge in watching something while folding laundry.  or eating lunch, or laid down for a nap . . . .

I have one who seems to always been in crises mode.  because . . . drama.  :svengo:

You are welcome to come over and help me figure this out. I've looked at the setting for the texting app, and at the device's settings. I cannot find it. I'm usually pretty decent at finding these kinds of things, so I suspect it's not an option (I'm not going to install something else to make it an option).

Google your phone platform and what you want to do.  On the iPhone, it's "emergency bypass" and accessible via contacts/ringtone options.  I know there are similar options for other phones.  

• Like 2

I have a friend who is about 75 and she is declining. About a year ago, she had a heart attack, and last fall she was diagnosed with lung cancer.

We used to keep in touch by sending each other long emails. We'd call each other on birthdays, and I would visit once a year to do her tax return. It was all I could manage in my busy life. (Yes, I sent the emails in the wee hours.) I sure loved those email conversations.

Well when she went into the hospital, she stopped emailing, even though she technically has the capability. I didn't have her phone number. She kept moving from one facility to another. I finally got her cell phone number, but she does not text, and most of the time she also does not answer her phone (health related issues). In the past 6 months I've gotten through twice. Usually it won't even take a voice mail because the mailbox is full. And she doesn't call back.

I was thinking, how can we get back to communicating? I decided to buy her an Easter card and enclose a written message. I'm not sure she can even read it, but I will try. So thanks for reminding me about the snail mail I need to send out. :)

Oh, you are welcome! I have an elderly relative who cherishes the handwritten letters she receives. They're so... tangible. And shareable. I am thankful we live in an era with so many venues for good communication, but there's nothing like a real old fashioned letter.

• Like 1

it's about trying to be as considerate as possible given the situation.  

Fine. I'm not interested in some hang-up over the word 'rude'. My point is that the most considerate option is to assume it's noise like any other noise, and to therefore try to avoid making unnecessary noise during hours when it's more likely to be annoying people. If you know someone is in a different time zone, then you can do the math. If you know someone works the night shift and sleeps from 8am to 4pm, you text and call outside of those hours. Etc. That doesn't mean that you say "oh, I don't know, everybody's schedule is different, so I'll make whatever noise at any time of the day/night". I'm not expecting perfection, just saying that unless you know otherwise, it makes sense to not text between 10pm and 8am or so, unless it's necessary. You get to define 'necessary' for yourself. 

• Like 5

Google your phone platform and what you want to do.  On the iPhone, it's "emergency bypass" and accessible via contacts/ringtone options.  I know there are similar options for other phones.  

Okay, now you're just expecting an excessive amount of work when simple common courtesy of not calling/texting in the middle of the night would be enough.

ETA: It's not an iPhone. I mentioned upthread it's a Note 2.

Edited by luuknam

I put my phone on do-not-disturb at night. So does everyone I know. If someone needs to reach you in an emergency then they can call you twice right after each other and it will bypass the do-not-disturb. I think that you can also set it so that certain numbers can reach you. With today's options I think the no texting after 9 rule is a bit old fashioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't text late, but I don't mind if others do. I have my phone set to do not disturb after 11 pm and until 7 am. And I have a few contacts that will override the do not disturb - mom, dad, brother, etc. I know if one of them calls/texts at 2 am, it's an emergency and I want it to come right through. Otherwise, people can wait until morning. 

• Like 3

I don't think it is inherently rude to text during certain hours, but what is rude or not rude seems to be very person dependent.  I wish people would be more proactive to set their phone settings that work for them, instead of putting the onus on other people.  But my relationships and friendships are more important to me that worrying about it too much.  I just don't text at certain times of day if I think it will bother someone.  However, I will admit that sometimes it is much later than I realize sometimes and I might accidentally send a late night text.

DH uses delayed text settings on his phone.  He often is up later than those he wants to text, or thinks of a reminder he wants to text to someone that would be better to go out at another time.  He just types up the text and tells his phone to send it at a set date/time.  It seems to work pretty well.

I have only ever received an emergency text once.  It was at around 7 am on a Saturday and I slept though the notification.  I saw it when I woke up about an hour later.  I was a text from my sister that my niece was in ICU after a bad car wreck.  If it has been a true "need you right now" emergency she would have called   Even with notification sounds on I sleep though my text and email notification sounds when I am sleeping, so if someone really needs me they would need to call.

• Like 2

Fine. I'm not interested in some hang-up over the word 'rude'. My point is that the most considerate option is to assume it's noise like any other noise, and to therefore try to avoid making unnecessary noise during hours when it's more likely to be annoying people. If you know someone is in a different time zone, then you can do the math. If you know someone works the night shift and sleeps from 8am to 4pm, you text and call outside of those hours. Etc. That doesn't mean that you say "oh, I don't know, everybody's schedule is different, so I'll make whatever noise at any time of the day/night". I'm not expecting perfection, just saying that unless you know otherwise, it makes sense to not text between 10pm and 8am or so, unless it's necessary. You get to define 'necessary' for yourself. 

If it bothers you, why would you rely on others to enforce it?  Why not turn off the noise that bothers you?   Why let yourself be disturbed by the actions of others after your personal cut-off time (be that 9P M, 10 PM, 1 AM or 9 AM)?  

I know that people are all affected differently by noises and sleep interruptions.  If someone can't go back to sleep or is profoundly sensitive to sounds, they need to figure out what works for their space and their technology.  For some that is landline only.  For others that the  cell phone isn't in their room.  There are many solutions to this problem which don't necessitate relying on others to know your norms and limits.  

I would agree that there's no reason to text or call for non-emergency reasons between certain hours (though those hours are different for different people).  I would rather enforce my limits than get upset about it.  

This reminds me of an aunt who cluelessly called from another time zone in the wee hours of the morning.  Woke us up for years.  Circa 2002, cell phones allowed my mother to solve this issue once and for all.  Now the tools are that much more fully featured.  

Yeah, once I was napping in the middle of the day after working most of the night.  My kid had an accident at school (which the principal thought would cause her to lose her teeth), and it was 1-2 hours before I got the messages.  They called (twice) and texted me.  None of my sounds were off.  I was just that tired.  Bad mom!  [PS, nobody died, and the teeth look better than before the accident.]

• Like 3

There are a handful of people I talk to at all via phone/text. Probably my sister (in an earlier time zone) and dh are the only ones I'd contact at 11pm on a random night (that's 9pm her time zone so not a biggie). That's a *maybe* with MIL (sometimes she's up late). My sis and I went through a conversation about this before. Now we will send a text first if we're not sure if we can call and even then I hesitate to text if it's really early in her time zone. I don't know if she always adjusts her phone settings. I prefer her to not text too late at night, but if she does I don't think it wakes me up. I think I took noises off my texts. I sometimes get noises from apps. I disabled facebook alerts some time ago.

If I didn't know someone very well I wouldn't text them that late. Certainly not a group text!

I have even hesitated to reply via facebook messenger a few times not sure if it was going to disturb others. Some of my friends keep weird hours (insomnia or whatever) so it's hit and miss if they're up or not. I don't care if one of my girlfriends hits me up late at night on messenger. It won't alert me. I'm much more willy nilly about sending emails and even those sometimes I'll convince myself to send at 6am instead of the middle of the night if I wake up in the middle of the night and remember something while I'll up (I tend to wake up once a night).

• Like 1

Okay, now you're just expecting an excessive amount of work when simple common courtesy of not calling/texting in the middle of the night would be enough.

ETA: It's not an iPhone. I mentioned upthread it's a Note 2.

It's an excessive amount of work to google "How to use DND on Galaxy Note 2?"  

That's less mental energy than trying to police the social behavior of others?  Not in my world it isn't.

There are videos and many articles to walk people through it.  

http://howto.highonandroid.com/samsung-tutorials/how-to-use-do-not-disturb-mode-on-samsung-galaxy-devices/

• Like 4

I would agree that there's no reason to text or call for non-emergency reasons between certain hours (though those hours are different for different people).  I would rather enforce my limits than get upset about it.  

Who says I'm upset about it? I don't remember anybody calling or texting me during the night other than the school to let me know it's a snow day (and they called, rather than texted).

My point is that assuming everybody will take to Google to try to figure out whether their phone may or may not have settings that are impossible to find otherwise is unreasonable. Just like expecting people to pay $$$ for a landline is unreasonable. If I had a real problem with being woken in the night, then of course I would figure out a solution... but we're not talking about me having a problem here. We're talking about whether it's okay to text others random unimportant stuff in the middle of the night. So, when last night, for example, I remembered that I should text somebody back about a possible play date, I chose not to do that at that time because it was after midnight. Whereas you're saying that I'm being stupid and should've just texted, because it's the other person's responsibility.

• Like 2

I do. :)

So do I :)

I never answer it though so it would be a terrible way to reach me. It is primarily there so the kids can reach either me or 911 if they are home alone. They have a cell phone as well but the land line phone is a corded one that can't get lost or have a dead battery and if they call 911 the dispatcher will know exactly where they are.

Who says I'm upset about it? I don't remember anybody calling or texting me during the night other than the school to let me know it's a snow day (and they called, rather than texted).

My point is that assuming everybody will take to Google to try to figure out whether their phone may or may not have settings that are impossible to find otherwise is unreasonable. Just like expecting people to pay $$$ for a landline is unreasonable. If I had a real problem with being woken in the night, then of course I would figure out a solution... but we're not talking about me having a problem here. We're talking about whether it's okay to text others random unimportant stuff in the middle of the night. So, when last night, for example, I remembered that I should text somebody back about a possible play date, I chose not to do that at that time because it was after midnight. Whereas you're saying that I'm being stupid and should've just texted, because it's the other person's responsibility.

I'm not calling you stupid.  I think you're being a bit unreasonable and perhaps resistant to learning how to use your phone.  It doesn't follow that I think you are stupid merely because I think you are greatly exaggerating the difficulty of learning how to set up a customized DND system on your incredibly full-featured Galaxy Note 2 phone device.  

If you think it is wrong for people to call or text at hours you define, then it follows you are upset or bothered in some way when they do it. You certainly do not sound mellow about it.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

If you think it is wrong for people to call or text at hours you define, then it follows you are upset or bothered in some way when they do it. You certainly do not sound mellow about it.  

I think that's more about that odds are that if I try to text someone something unimportant at 2am, they'll get mad at me about it, than about me having problems being texted at the wrong time. And, based on this poll, about 40% of the people I might want to text would be annoyed or worse if I texted them back about their play date proposal at 1am. So, you and others glibly saying that it's their problem, fully knowing that they'll turn it into my problem (by liking me less, or by stopping suggesting play dates with my kids), is not reasonable. In other words, this about me being annoyed at figuring out what the common rules/expectations are, which isn't always easy for me.

• Like 1

Same response I had last time --

It's just as rude to text late as it is to call late. Rude, rude, rude.

Yes, I could adjust the notification on my phone.

And risk missing a hospital call if one of my boys were in a wreck.

I'm sure not going to rely on a hospital calling twice in order to bypass DND.

Or one of their friends texting for a not true emergency but maybe my kid is sick or has a broken bone or something like that.

Not everyone has the luxury of being able to selectively silence their phone. DH periodically has to be on call. He could be contacted from many, many numbers and it could be via a text or a phone call.

ETA: I'm always a little surprised when this topic comes up. All of our friends/family/acquaintances apparently realize it's incredibly rude to text someone late (or very early), so it's just not an issue for us. It always surprises me to be reminded there are people who actually do it.

I agree with all of this. I text with a lot of people and NO ONE texts me after 10:00pm (nor do I text them). I thought it was universally understood to be rude. 

• Like 3

I think that's probably a bit of a false assumption.

One can think something is rude or wrong w/o being truly upset or bothered by it.

• Like 1

I agree with all of this. I text with a lot of people and NO ONE texts me after 10:00pm (nor do I text them). I thought it was universally understood to be rude. 

Yes. It's one of those things that were it not for TWTM I wouldn't even know was a thing. No one I know would ever send a non-urgent text very early or very late.

• Like 2

Yes.

It's rather surprising and disappointing to see this argument repeated by so many on a board devoted to education. It's really nothing more than an ad hominem attack. IMO it's fine if you (generic) don't agree with me. But don't try to imply or outright say that I'm stupid in order to support your position. If that's the best you can do . . . .

Many of us really do have very valid reasons for not being able to put our phones on DND or stop notifications from all numbers except just a few. We really do. Whether you (generic) want to believe it or not.

I recognize that there are folks with valid reasons for not wanting to use DND settings. But I also think that if this is your (generic you) special situation, it's on you to deal with it and it's not everyone else's problem.  Moaning and groaning about how everyone is being rude doesn't fix the problem, and it also isn't a very fair premise to expect everyone else to accommodate your special circumstances of needing to keep your phone on. The inconveniences that come with that are part of the inconvenience of having special circumstances.  

If I work nights (I don't, only hypothetical) it's not "rude" for the telemarketer to call during daylight hours when I'm sleeping. I'm the one with the atypical schedule. I have to manage my phone so I don't get disturbed. 

• Like 5

If it bothers you, why would you rely on others to enforce it? Why not turn off the noise that bothers you? Why let yourself be disturbed by the actions of others after your personal cut-off time (be that 9P M, 10 PM, 1 AM or 9 AM)?

This is what it really comes down to. I only have control over my own phone. When I had a landline and worked nights, I turned my ringer off during the day. Of course an emergency could have happened during that time, but I had to make a choice about what to do. Ringer on or off, that was it. Now? Things are so customizable it's amazing. There's no reason to be annoyed by unwanted notifications, or to miss the ones you really want to hear. So, why even care if someone texts at midnight? Why spend headspace worrying about it when your technology solves the problem entirely? I can be annoyed at 2a.m. at my friend texting me from the west coast, or I can get up in the morning and see that I got a text from her and answer it over coffee. I thought that was part of the whole point of having all this customizable stuff in smart phones?

• Like 7

If I work nights (I don't, only hypothetical) it's not "rude" for the telemarketer to call during daylight hours when I'm sleeping. I'm the one with the atypical schedule. I have to manage my phone so I don't get disturbed. 

Telemarketers are a whole 'nother thing. Don't get me started.

It's one reason we got rid of the landline years ago. I rarely get them on my cell.

I think that's probably a bit of a false assumption.

One can think something is rude or wrong w/o being truly upset or bothered by it.

If one is not bothered by it, why does one care if someone does it?  Why does one exert mental energy to pronouncing it unacceptable for others to do it?  When something is wrong, it typically creates a problem of some kind.  If there's a simple solution to that problem, why not use it for one's personal convenience, thereby totally neutralizing the situation?

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 4

I didn't vote.  We have a landline.  I only give my cell number to select people.  I use DND settings.  My husband and kids know that their phone calls will come through on my cell, they are enabled 24/7.  If they are on a different phone for some reason then they know that they can call, hang up, and call back within three minutes from the same number and that number will go through, because that is the way I programmed the settings.  I primarily use the cell for texts, and notifications turn off at a set time.  No one I know would use text in an emergency, because of DND settings.

• Like 3

We haven't had a landline in over 15 years. I don't know anyone who has a landline. No one. Not even my 82 yo MIL has a landline anymore.

That's odd. Almost everyone I know has a landline, including us and our older relatives. They're very common here. Our California family mostly has landlines too, but I don't think my brother does.

And yes, there are about ten people with my cell number and half of them are doctors. Even when people text me I give them my Apple ID more often than not, so I don't get phonecalls. I still think the burden is on me to use DND settings though.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Uh oh, just got an emergency text from my 10yo.  "Please bring me legions I have a hole in the other one."  [reply: Leggings?]

She then called me to make sure I understood the severity of the situation.  "My leggings have a hole in my private place.  Please bring me some other ones for gymnastics tonight."  :P  So the phone is not obsolete after all. :P

• Like 6

The correlation that may appear is that older users are less tech savvy.

But ime, the older users have teens, new drivers, college students and medically fragile elders who may need to make emergency contact, or have contact made by strangers on their behalf. Many of you who are great with phone settings aren't quite in that position yet. That doesn't excuse us from learning, but please do be aware of it.

FWIW, I am not especially savvy with my phone.  For some things on my phone I throw it at my husband and say, "hey, can you make it do that thing?  You know, THAT thing?"   :lol:  DND and ringtone stuff though don't require much though.  If I can handle it, pretty much anyone can.  And there are step by step instructions for everything on YouTube.  

I am at a point in my life where medically fragile and at risk people need to reach me at random times. Heck, because my mom got cancer when I was 14 and my brother lived with me as my dependent from the time I was 18, that's pretty much so far not been a stage of my life.  It has been my life.   All of that might well be exactly why I relish the way technology can solve the issue of "I need my sleep, but I can't miss serious calls" in my life.  

• Like 1

If one is not bothered by it, why does one care if someone does it?  Why does one exert mental energy to pronouncing it unacceptable for others to do it?  When something is wrong, it typically creates a problem of some kind.  If there's a simple solution to that problem, why not use it for one's personal convenience, thereby totally neutralizing the situation?

There is nothing at all that you find wrong or rude but yet you aren't truly bothered by?

I think most people, if they're being honest, would say that there are lots of things they think are rude but they aren't getting their knickers the least bit knotted about. But sometimes they comment on something because . . . message board. You never ever comment about things that you aren't 100 percent invested in?

As I plainly stated earlier, I"m not bothered by this because in my world it's not a thing. People generally just don't do rude things if they can avoid it.

As far as mental energy -- I expect I've spent the equivalent of thirty seconds of a slug's movement on this thread. ;) And most of that was while I was bored waiting for the HVAC guy to finish with our spring maintenance service.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

There is nothing at all that you find wrong or rude but yet you aren't truly bothered by?

Obviously being bothered can be mild to severe.  Even for things that bother me mildly, there is usually some small problem caused by it. That is why it bothers me. I can't think of a reason to be bothered if there's not something specific causing me or someone a problem.  

For all you only daytime folks - that's a very inconvenient time for folks on night shift. Not everyone is up with the sun and down at dark.

This. Dh often works some portion of 3rd shift and is asleep during these so called "safe" daytime hours where it's always acceptable to call and text with reckless abandon. If he forgets to silence some portion of the alerts (because he also has to be available at all hours to his job) then guess what? Your so-called "safe time to text" text or call wakes him up.

There is no universal "safe" time. The onus is on the person to manage their mobile device's alert settings.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 3

It is cracking me up that this question has generated this much response. I mean, really? Is it THAT important? Obviously, it is. LOL!

Shoes on or off

Cart returns

Knitting in public

Cupcakes

Mathwars

Midnight texting is now in the hall of fame.

• Like 11

I've read the whole thread now. It took me all day, but I did it. :lol:

On the DND....I looked up on Google how to customize my settings exactly the way I want them.

I have DND set from 11pm - 7am. All calls can come through. That takes care of emergency personnel, my kids' friends trying to reach me, etc. Only those on my "favorite contacts" will have their texts come through. That takes care of my adult kids, dh (in case he's not already in bed beside me ;)), and my mom. Each of the above mentioned approved texters have their own notification tone, so I know exactly which one is trying to get a hold of me before I open my eyes.

Anyone can text me during those hours that I am on DND and I will see it when I wake up. My adult kids feel secure in knowing that they can reach out to me anytime - day or night. I'm not disturbed by anyone who doesn't actually need me.

I try to make my phone work for me. :D

Edited by CAMom
  • Like 6

I'm another who couldn't answer the poll because it doesn't provide an answer for "turns off texts but receives phone calls". I often wake up to texts from my siblings who live in other time zones and would have to wait until noon to text me at a "polite" hour. I have once missed an emergency text because of this, but it was a call to prayer and I couldn't have helped in any way.

I personally try not to text other people after 9p their time if I know it would bother them.

• Like 2

Obviously being bothered can be mild to severe. Even for things that bother me mildly, there is usually some small problem caused by it. That is why it bothers me. I can't think of a reason to be bothered if there's not something specific causing me or someone a problem.

Did you ever listen to Hamilton, and that's a part where King George uses the word Subject 4 lines in a row?

And no don't change the subject

Cause you're my favorite subject

My sweet, submissive subject

My loyal, royal subject

Forever and ever and ever and ever....

You had a King George moment with the word bothered there. It tickled me.

• Like 1

I don't text people, oh, probably 9:30 PM to 8 AM. I don't mind if they text me, though, because my cell phone is turned off at night and on vibrate during the day. My landline, kept for emergency outgoing calls as electricity/cell reception/internet is not infallible here, is silenced quite a bit of the time, too. I try to check an email account every day, but I have three (and don't really want to consolidate). Texting is a good way to reach me within half a day or so.

Because we don't have family within ~45 minutes' drive (and those folks have people much closer by they'd call) and most are 10+ hours away, I just don't expect any emergency that couldn't wait until sunrise to tell me. Likewise, I went into labor with DS just before midnight on a Friday night. I waited until the next afternoon, a couple of hours after he was born & had been brought back to me after some close observation, to call family. They weren't coming to visit until they had time to clear their work schedules anyway.

I have an oldish smart phone without email or social media (I use a laptop), or the ability to schedule texts. It does have a number of options with regard to which contacts make what sounds.

When apart from DS, I make sure I can be reached and that it's clear which number should be used first. But 911 should be used as needed, and DH and other people can also likely be reached.

Before texting was a thing, a friend of mine with older kids who needed an out had them call her for a "required" check-in and complain a bit about being summoned home/picked up early because of a fake arriving family member. ("But Aunt Rose wasn't supposed to get here until...")

After the last thread I decided it must be a regional thing because no one texts us at night except one close friend and my husband's work. We haven't bothered with blocking all but special phone numbers and such because we just don't get bothered much. My husband's work calls and texts at night when he is needed so his phone notifications volume is left up. He likes to keep his job. 🙂 Maybe he has blocked others and I don't know but we seldom are bothered and I seldom turn down notification noises.

I find most text messages would replace a phone call and I almost never use the phone anymore. If there were a dire emergency I would call for sure.

Hospitals or the police should know that texting is not exactly the most reliable form of communication.

Maybe I responded to the wrong post? I was rushing this morning. Sorry about that.

Whatever post I was attempting to reply to was saying they turn off everything from unknown numbers because everyone who would be calling them in an emergency would be from a known number.

I certainly agree that police etc. aren't going to be texting.

I get texts from businesses all the time and all hours of the day. I silence texts at night. 

I figure if someone really really really needs me at night, they will call. 

I do not have people in my life who would only text me in an emergency.

Emily

I don't text after about 9:30 unless I know the person stays up late and doesn't mind late texts. I don't send group texts after that time because there might be people in the group who don't want late texts.

For myself I put my phone on do not disturb when I go to bed. I have it set so certain contacts (really just a few family members) are on the exceptions list and can get through at 24/7. That covers the emergency situation. Anyone who would possibly call me/us in an emergency is on the list. 

• Like 1