Menu

Pockets - men's vs. women's

Night Elf

Possibly because few women put anything into the pockets in their pants? Assuming their pants have pockets.  I think most women here wouldn't put anything thicker than a credit card into their pants pockets, although I do see people with cell phones in their back pockets on the street, which is a great way to have one stolen or to lose one.  I think since women carry purses, that most often, if their pants have pockets, they are not used?  

This has always bugged me - the only worse thing being how many women's pants don't have pockets at all.  :P

I assume it's considered unfashionable for women to have bulky stuff in their pockets.  Just a slim hanky if you please.  I guess they assume all women carry a purse, which is also not true.  :P

• Like 5

I keep my keys in my pocket when I'm out. I don't like putting them in my purse. I just bought new jeans and the pockets are even smaller than my old jeans pockets. I also put my cell phone in my front pocket. I won't be able to do that anymore either. My purse is just big enough for my large wallet and glasses case. I just paid $34 for that purse too so I'm not inclined to buy a new one. I don't think either my keys or my phone would fit into that purse. Rats!

Women have purses.

But I don't WANT to have a purse, I'm forced to due to the lack of pockets.  If we had decent pockets I could dispense with the completely unnecessary extra baggage (aka purse),  I think it deliberate because then women are forced to buy an additional item and increase their profit.

• Like 4

My girls and I gripe about this all the time.  What is even the point of having pockets if they are only an inch deep?  

I hate that it is even a thing.  I carry my wallet in my back pocket like a dude and I don't care.  It is way more convenient than lugging around a purse that I have to dig stuff out of.

• Like 4

But I don't WANT to have a purse, I'm forced to due to the lack of pockets.  If we had decent pockets I could dispense with the completely unnecessary extra baggage (aka purse),  I think it deliberate because then women are forced to buy an additional item and increase their profit.

Yep

I hate having to carry a purse.  Like super duper hate.  It's pretty bad when you can't even fit a small wallet or 2 keys into a pocket. 

Why are men's pants front pockets so much deeper than women's pants pockets?

Men have to stuff everything into their pockets that women put into purses.

When I go to buy pants, I make sure they have usable pockets because I need to hold keys in them when I am at work at night -- so I don't get locked out when no one is around to let me back in. But other than that, I don't use pockets and don't care if my clothes have them.

BTW, my pants I buy from LAne Bryant have plenty of room in the pockets, even to hold an iphone 6s phone.  Its not my preferred way to carry it -- but it works.

Edited by vonfirmath

Last year for a Doctor Who convention, I dressed up at the 10th Doctor (a male character) and wore a 10th Doctor trench coat

The pockets in that thing!  Oh my goodness!  You would not BELIEVE the amount of stuff I got in that man's coat.  It had two inner breast pockets and ginormous pockets on the outside.  It was the best three days of my life.  My hands were freeeee.  Chapstick wasn't falling out of the 1/2 inch pocket in my normal pants.  I had a brush and spare reading glasses and my entire wallet and a phone and keys and the chapstick and hairsticks and my tickets and a notepad and a pen and a copy of War and Peace and a potted plant in those pockets.  With room to spare.

We're going to the convention again this coming weekend and the part I'm most looking forward to is wearing that coat with those pockets.  And I'm not kidding.  I've been thinking about those pockets all week.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 17

I don't own a purse.

I either wear 5-pocket jeans or business casual pants (with actual pockets), or bring a coat or computer bag if I must wear something pocketless (usually only when I'm in a suit).

When I was in a professional job where I had to travel and wear suits to meetings, I developed a hack where I would clip necessities to the hangy things inside my skirt.

It helps that I don't use makeup etc.  I just carry a card holder, keys, and a cell phone.  Maybe a little loose cash and some tissues.

• Like 1

I have a tiny purse.  It has a long enough strap to sling across my body because apparently I just don't have shoulders.  Anything I try to put on my shoulders falls off within two steps.  I tried a backpack, but that was a hassle.  So, the little purse, slung across my body, that fits just the phone, tiny brush, and "wallet."  My "wallet" is all the cards and folded money held together with a rubber band.  Oh, and I stash some tiny plastic containers with earplugs and headache medicine in the little purse.  

I never go anywhere without earplugs.  

It is probably fashion. Ladies jackets/blazer have shallower pockets too so I just get a boys smart casual one.

For daily wear, boys carpenter/utility/cargo jeans fit me well and have enough pockets (5 or 6 pockets) for car keys, phone, wallet, cough drops and some napkins. The boys jeans back pockets are deeper too so can easily accommodate my phone in an otterbox case.

It is probably fashion. Ladies jackets/blazer have shallower pockets too so I just get a boys smart casual one.

For daily wear, boys carpenter/utility/cargo jeans fit me well and have enough pockets (5 or 6 pockets) for car keys, phone, wallet, cough drops and some napkins. The boys jeans back pockets are deeper too so can easily accommodate my phone in an otterbox case.

I'd buy men's pants if they made them that small!

I think I'd like them better overall.

UGH!

Diamond had a phone break because it fell out of her tiny pocket as she walked.

BabyBaby cannot fit her small iPhone4 in any of her jeans, but she can fit an entire iPad in the pocket of her men's sweatpants.

For me, pockets just bunch and bulge without actually being useful.

Edited by Rebel Yell

It's easier to have deep pockets in a (fuller) skirt, as the contents can hide beneath the skirt rather than making a bump in the silhouette.

I make many of my own skirts, so I can make the pockets as big as I want, and sometimes I put secret zippered pockets inside the pockets.

I've been inspired by this skirt, which has amazing pockets; it's really nice for travelling or urban hiking.  In black it looks a lot less "safari".

When I'm working, I often wear a utility-type apron with three large pockets.  Super-handy to have phone, tools, lists, etc. handy, and I'm less likely to put them down somewhere and lose them.

It's easier to have deep pockets in a (fuller) skirt, as the contents can hide beneath the skirt rather than making a bump in the silhouette.

My girls and I gripe about this all the time.  What is even the point of having pockets if they are only an inch deep?  

I hate that it is even a thing.  I carry my wallet in my back pocket like a dude and I don't care.  It is way more convenient than lugging around a purse that I have to dig stuff out of.

Not good to carry anything you do not want to lose or have stolen in a back pocket.  I keep my wallet and phone in a front pocket. Many times, I have walked behind people who had their cell phone in a back pocket and thought how easy it would be, for a thief to steal their phone.  However, I know how easy it is for a woman to have her purse stolen or lose her purse, so that's another issue. 

Not good to carry anything you do not want to lose or have stolen in a back pocket.  I keep my wallet and phone in a front pocket. Many times, I have walked behind people who had their cell phone in a back pocket and thought how easy it would be, for a thief to steal their phone.  However, I know how easy it is for a woman to have her purse stolen or lose her purse, so that's another issue. 

Well, considering how I usually dress, they'd also have to fish their way up under my long shirt and/or sweater/jacket to get to it.  I do shift it to the front if I'm in a crowd.  I'm pretty rural though....people don't generally get too close around here.

I'd buy men's pants if they made them that small!

I think I'd like them better overall.

Size 14 boys Abercrombie Kids is just nice for me. I bought similar to this, just two oversized pockets instead of one so 6 pockets total. I paid $10 for sale price. I'm 5'3" tall.

https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/kids/boys-bottoms-clearance/trouser-joggers-8270629_02

• Like 1

Size 14 boys Abercrombie Kids is just nice for me. I bought similar to this, just two oversized pockets instead of one so 6 pockets total. I paid $10 for sale price. I'm 5'3" tall.

https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/kids/boys-bottoms-clearance/trouser-joggers-8270629_02

My waist is too thick even for the large.  And then the large would be too long even if my waist were smaller.  (I'm 5ft)

Although thinking about this, it is possible that my older son's pants would fit me.  The length would work and the waist might work since he has the husky size. 

I should try it because he has outgrown most of those pants.  LOL

• Like 2

It's a patriarchal conspiracy... and I'm actually serious.

Related question: Why don't women's dresses have actual sleeves? We're lucky if we even get three-quarter sleeves, and what is even UP with that!?

I'd like to know what is up with dresses.  Why don't men wear dresses?  And only women?

I personally hate dresses. Not hate in the sense that I think nobody should wear them, but I find they stifle my movements.  I have to sit a particular way.  I have to walk a particular way.  Legs rub together unless you wear something (which adds more layers and on a hot day that makes no sense to me).  Just...why?! 

• Like 2

I think it's because women's pants are usually closer-fitting. For myself, as annoying as it can occasionally be, I actually prefer it as my hips are wide enough as it is. The last thing I need is a lot of bulky fabric in that area. This is particularly true with skirts and dresses. I really would rather carry a cross body bag than have pockets.  

• Like 2

I replaced the Lee jeans I bought three years ago with the exact same style. This year's model has thinner denim and pockets HALF THE DEPTH of the same type three years ago. The same jeans. I always put my hands in my pockets and am contemplating a strongly worded letter! I am also having my neighbor/seamstress add fabric to make complete pockets because putting my hands in my pockets and having my fingertips hit the bottom before my knuckles are covered is driving me insane.

• Like 1

It's a patriarchal conspiracy... and I'm actually serious.

Related question: Why don't women's dresses have actual sleeves? We're lucky if we even get three-quarter sleeves, and what is even UP with that!?

I haaaaate shirts/dresses without sleeves. Am I the only person who actually sweats, even when wearing antiperspirant, and then has slick underarms? Oh yuck. I need fabric to wick away the sweat. So gross.

And with dresses, then there's the leg rub every time you walk, unless you wear short slips. I finally discovered there here last year--the material is like a slip, but it's a pair of loose shorts so your legs don't rub.

Wearing men's pants can be tricky, depending on the hip-waist ratio. If you have a waist that nips in, then you'll have to wear a belt that'll bunch up the material. Most men's waists don't nip in compared to their hips. It probably depends on the cut and size. I was able to wear some men's swim trunks, but they were a bit tighter across the hips than they ought to have been. Men's swim trunks are great for when you're wading in rivers.

Oh, and swim trunks! They also come with a nifty little velcro pocket. I loved that feature on the swim trunks.

I find most women's clothing to be so uncomfortable--like dress shoes without socks. My feet just can't handle that.

Dresses, pants, swimtrunks, shoes--I need more fabric in all those things: sleeves, pockets, socks.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

I replaced the Lee jeans I bought three years ago with the exact same style. This year's model has thinner denim and pockets HALF THE DEPTH of the same type three years ago. The same jeans. I always put my hands in my pockets and am contemplating a strongly worded letter! I am also having my neighbor/seamstress add fabric to make complete pockets because putting my hands in my pockets and having my fingertips hit the bottom before my knuckles are covered is driving me insane.

Yes! The pants I used to wear had pockets, and now they're gone! They're just little fake-o pockets in the front. No real pocket at all! Wha...?!

I carry a purse (bag really) now because I have little ones, so I carry around a spare diaper and pacifier and a small pack of wipes.  Normally (when we're past the might-have-a-diaper-emergency) stage I prefer to not carry a bag; instead I put my wallet and keys in the pockets of my jacket.  I therefore wear a jacket long past the time when I really need one.  Summers I go back to the bag.  It's stupid.

I haaaaate shirts/dresses without sleeves. Am I the only person who actually sweats, even when wearing antiperspirant, and then has slick underarms? Oh yuck. I need fabric to wick away the sweat. So gross.

And with dresses, then there's the leg rub every time you walk, unless you wear short slips. I finally discovered there here last year--the material is like a slip, but it's a pair of loose shorts so your legs don't rub.

Wearing men's pants can be tricky, depending on the hip-waist ratio. If you have a waist that nips in, then you'll have to wear a belt that'll bunch up the material. Most men's waists don't nip in compared to their hips. It probably depends on the cut and size. I was able to wear some men's swim trunks, but they were a bit tighter across the hips than they ought to have been. Men's swim trunks are great for when you're wading in rivers.

Oh, and swim trunks! They also come with a nifty little velcro pocket. I loved that feature on the swim trunks.

I find most women's clothing to be so uncomfortable--like dress shoes without socks. My feet just can't handle that.

Dresses, pants, swimtrunks, shoes--I need more fabric in all those things: sleeves, pockets, socks.

https://www.amazon.com/Kanu-Surf-Womens-Stretch-Boardshort/dp/B01AWXVZPI/ref=cts_ap_1_vtp?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2897711222&pf_rd_r=RNX6WBPX5A9FWBAFBDMA&pd_rd_wg=wtqwb&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B01AWXVZPI&pd_rd_w=WFNvB&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=RNX6WBPX5A9FWBAFBDMA&_encoding=UTF8

Women's swim trunks. WITH pockets!

• Like 2

Women's running bottoms of any kind. I have to wear a running belt to put all my stuff in while dh buys a pair of running shorts and puts his stuff in his pockets. The pockets in mine? I'll be lucky to fit a gel or maybe a key in them. A key though. Don't get crazy and try to put too many in there.

And last time I tried on Lands End jeans they had not-quite-pocket pockets. I don't think wanting pockets that one can use is too much to ask. There has to be a middle ground between what exists andhaving to buy men's clothes.

• Like 2

The worst is the Lands End Sweat Pants without pockets.   Yes, that is right. Sweat pants. No pockets.   It isn't like you think slim fit when you think of sweat pants.   I adore the fabric that they use for their sweat pants so every blue moon I'll buy many at once.  No pockets was a shock.  

• Like 1

The worst is the Lands End Sweat Pants without pockets.   Yes, that is right. Sweat pants. No pockets.   It isn't like you think slim fit when you think of sweat pants.   I adore the fabric that they use for their sweat pants so every blue moon I'll buy many at once.  No pockets was a shock.  

I know.  All of DH's sweat pants have nice big pockets!  Not one of mine does.

So when we go to the gym I have to carry a bag so I have somewhere to put my wallet and keys.  It's annoying to have to keep track of it.

(I haven't read all the replies yet, but had to respond!)

I like winter, even our mild winter here, b/c I can wear a fleece vest with pockets. I too have taken to wearing men's clothing for the abundant pockets (zipped, unzipped, outer, inside), and sewing my own clothes (skirts with pockets! yay!). It is obvious that women's clothing is made for a sleek line (and I have friends who, as at least one PP mentioned, can't wear clothes with extra fabric). As a self-proclaimed "frumpy homeschooling mom," I wear men's jackets, sew my own skirts, and put my stuff in a backpack when it's too warm for a vest (I've never found a handbag that was comfortable).

It drives me completely nuts that men's SWIM TRUNKS and even PAJAMAS always, always have pockets!!  :glare: and women's street clothing rarely has them!  :thumbdown:

In some European countries the driver's license is quite large (almost 4x6", I think), so many men carry "man-purses." My husband had a European driver's license for many years but he never got a man-purse ... come to think of it, I'm not sure how he carried it ...  :confused:  :laugh: