Menu

Holidays treats

Night Elf

So far this week I have made gingerbread cookies, frosted sugar cookies, white chocolate peppermint bark with special naturally colored candy canes, fudge, and a plum pudding.  I am still planning to make some coconut cookies and spritz.  I planned out each day this week on the calendar for what to make.  I may also end up making a cheesecake to take out to my parent's house and possibly Julekake.

Lots of cookies--most given away to dd's life skills teachers and aides. I've made 4 batches of Andes Mint cookies, a double batch of sugar cookies (not cut outs), peanut butter temptations. I also made a cardamom cake for a get together.

Today I'm doing cinnamon rolls--most will go to the freezer after baking. And I hope to get to fudge today too.

today we did peppermint bark, peppermint and pretzels in white chocolate, reindeer tracks and soda crackers bars.  Oh and a load pineapple in the dehydrator.  Between tomorrow and Friday we will make sour cream cookies, chocolate chunk cookies, mint chocolate cookies, raspberry almond shortbread, and chocolate covered cornflakes.  I get my baking by more than half so it will only take us a few days to get through everything.

I've made nut tassies, teacakes, gingerbread, and cane blossom cookies, chocolate dipped pretzels, and peanut brittle.  Most of the cookies went to a bake sale and the scouts' Christmas party.  Some of the candy went in care packages.   I plan to do more baking on Friday.  I want to make sticky buns for Christmas morning and my family wants chocolate chip cookies and flan.

We made cupcakes with the little box of Christmas liners and toppers from Tj Maxx.  

Tomorrow we will make a cobbler and I will try peppermint marshmellows for a family gathering.  

We are on for all desserts as our contribution to Christmas lunch.  I guess we will bring an assortment of treats and I might make a yule log.

The kids and I made sprinkle sugar cookies, but then I individually made some iced fancy sugar cookies. I made cherry Empanadas, but they are frozen and awaiting baking on Christmas Eve. Most years I do a Christmas cookie bake with friends at my home, but because of my oven situation, I didn't do it this year. I'm making pumpkin and pecan pies tomorrow and/or Friday.

We are supposedly going to have Orange Rolls on Christmas morning, but I am not keen to do it because I'm hosting both days and will be making a ton of stuff already.

Tonight I'm making gingerbread men - I'm waiting for the butter to soften up as we speak.  Tomorrow there is no school and its my last babysitting day, so I'll have the girl I used to sit and dd11 home, so I'll have all the kids decorate them.

I also made what's called tiffen.  Not lunch, but a sweet - it sounds Anglo-Indian and it is English - it has Lyle's Golden Syrup in it - but I don't know where the INdian bit comes in.

It's made of brandy-soaked dried fruit, rich tea biscuits, butter and the syrup, and white and dark chocolate.  It makes a sort of candy.

What treats have you made so far this holiday season? All we've done is chocolate chip cookies. I want to do something special tomorrow but can't make up my mind.

I have made Nanaimo bars, peppermint brownies, fruit and nut shortbread and maple pecan shortbread squares.

I've also made some ketogenic treats - almond crescents, shortbread cookies, and chocolate chip cookies. Plus, I made cheesy skillet bread and I'm going to turn that into bread crumbs for my own stuffing.

ETA: I still want to make pumpkin pie tarts and gingerbread in mini-muffin tins. 

Edited by Sarah CB

I wonder why cookies are such a thing?  I find them really unrewarding, they take a lot of work for what you get.

I'm going to make a trifle too.  They give some real bang for your buck.

I love cookies! I have fond memories of making sugar cookies and icing them with the kids every year. I'm not making them this year because I can eat half a dozen in one sitting by myself and I just don't need the temptation.

I found the fruit and nut shortbread recipe I use to be super easy. I doubled it the first time I made it this year and it made a ton of cookies for very little effort.

But, yes - a trifle would be a lot of bang for your buck. I love trifle. I've never tried to make it, but I have enjoyed eating it.

I love cookies! I have fond memories of making sugar cookies and icing them with the kids every year. I'm not making them this year because I can eat half a dozen in one sitting by myself and I just don't need the temptation.

I found the fruit and nut shortbread recipe I use to be super easy. I doubled it the first time I made it this year and it made a ton of cookies for very little effort.

But, yes - a trifle would be a lot of bang for your buck. I love trifle. I've never tried to make it, but I have enjoyed eating it.

It's mostly taking them in and out of the oven, tray after tray, that annoys me.  I end up standing around waiting a bunch.  With a pie or cake, you slap it in there and come back in half an hour or so and its done.

Two batches of this:http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/12/white-chocolate-chex-party-mix.html

dipped oreos for dh

dipped pretzels with leftover chocolate

Peppermint bark

These I mixed up earlier for dd & need to roll them out and freeze them to dip them tomorrow.

http://lifewithmoorebabies.blogspot.com/2012/09/gluten-free-cookie-dough-truffles.html

I'll make a few pies this weekend.

We did a big bake on Sunday. I give a lot away. 

Peanut butter hershey kiss cookies

raspberry almond thumbprints

chocolate chip

russian tea cakes

7 layer cookie bars

fudge

sugar cookies

funfetti shortbread bites

Got it all done and kitchen cleaned in under 4 hours. I've been giving away bags of mixed cookies all week! I will make up a tray for us too, but most are given away. 

• Like 2

I wonder why cookies are such a thing?  I find them really unrewarding, they take a lot of work for what you get.

Hah! And I like cookies because they last longer than a cake. A cake is eaten within a few days, but we have our christmas cookies until well into January. Most of them actually improve after a few weeks in a tin, especially the butter cookies. Yum!

My daughter and her friend managed to completely ruin a very lovely vanilla sugar cookie mix by frosting it with food coloring and crisco..... It looked like someone barfed up a clown into my trash can. ;)

As a family we're dipping oreo's into white chocolate, mint chocolate and rolling them in sprinkles, and making fudge. And a gingerbread house the kids are putting together that I bought.

I'm making Chex mix today for dairy-allergic youngest. Older dd doesn't really like treats.

And then I'm going to make soy-glazed almonds, a family-of-origin treat, for the first time in 10 years since older dd was diagnosed with a soy allergy. I'll have all the windows open so the house will air completely before she's home tomorrow!

I like cookies instead of pie or cake because it's easier to pick up just one cookie...it's a small treat and there's no plate or fork to contend with. And no way to know for sure how many I've eaten. g

We've made three kinds of cookies, and as usual the favorite has been jamborees with apricot jam. Tomorrow I'll make monkey food so we can have a salty treat to alternate with the cookies. It's chex mix but my mom always called it monkey food- it's been part of our family tradition since the 50's. 

We make sugar cookies (dairy and egg free for allergy kid), chocolate cake for my non allergy kid, apple pie for my allergy kid, and pumpkin pie for the adults.

ETA I haven't made anything yet but will tomorrow.

Edited by UCF612

Made chex Mix for a party we didn't end up going to because we got sick, so we consoled ourselves by watching movies and eating Chex mix. We also did mini gingerbread houses (Wilton kit). I got Trader Joe's hollandaise sauce for my Solstice eggs benedict rather than try to make it. :)

For Saturday I am planning on making ham and cheese poppyseed rolls, sausage balls, orange cake, pesto puff pastry sticks with creamy garlic dipping sauce, cupcakes or cookies (not sure which yet). We have a family brunch and then a get-together with friends in the evening. I'm also planning cheese straws and some other things to take to a New Year's Eve party.

Edited by KarenNC