Menu

What do you have for breakfast on Christmas morning?

Storygirl

Nothing special and I am only dimly aware that it's a thing for many people. Hmm. I wonder if it's worth starting a new traditional this late in the game.

I think I won't. I'll let my boys not have a breakfast tradition and when they get married they can do whatever their wives want to do.

And when they're gone, my DH and I will start our own breakfast tradition.

Well, for us it's not really breakfast.  I make the "ta da" meal on xmas eve.  The next day I make something at some point, but nothing big.  The rest of the day it's leftover stuff from the ta da meal or whatever.

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

If I don't make the waffles, I use Eggo minis because they're easier to fit in the dish. And maple chicken sausage instead of pork. And extra sharp cheddar. :)

Maple Sausage and Waffle Casserole

6-8 frozen waffles (1/2 inch thick)

12 ounces maple breakfast sausage, crumbled

Unsalted butter (for dish)

1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

6 large eggs

1 1/4 cups whole or low-fat milk

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange waffles in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes per side.

2. Brown sausage in non-stick skillet over medium heat, breaking it apart with spoon, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.

3. Butter 8-inch square baking dish. Add half of waffles in single layer. Add half of sausage and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layering of waffles, sausage, and 1/2 cup cheese. Whisk eggs, milk, maple syrup, salt and pepper in medium bowl until combined. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.

4. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Let casserole stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Uncover casserole and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top. Bake until edges and center are puffed, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 2

If I don't make the waffles, I use Eggo minis because they're easier to fit in the dish. And maple chicken sausage instead of pork. And extra sharp cheddar. :)

Maple Sausage and Waffle Casserole

6-8 frozen waffles (1/2 inch thick)

12 ounces maple breakfast sausage, crumbled

Unsalted butter (for dish)

1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

6 large eggs

1 1/4 cups whole or low-fat milk

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange waffles in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes per side.

2. Brown sausage in non-stick skillet over medium heat, breaking it apart with spoon, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.

3. Butter 8-inch square baking dish. Add half of waffles in single layer. Add half of sausage and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layering of waffles, sausage, and 1/2 cup cheese. Whisk eggs, milk, maple syrup, salt and pepper in medium bowl until combined. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.

4. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Let casserole stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Uncover casserole and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top. Bake until edges and center are puffed, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve.

Thanks so much!  This looks amazing!

Usually cinnamon rolls - regular for family and gluten-free for me.

I'll also be making breakfast sausage this year. Last year we had corned beef

could you please tell me your gf cinnamon roll recipe?  My kids want to try these.

We usually have whitebait fritters and berry fruit...  cos, summer!

• Like 1

Cinnamon buns made from my grandmother's recipe. (She called them sticky buns. They are cinnamon rolls with a caramel all over the top.) That's the main thing everybody wants. I make eggs to go with all the sugar. But I only make them on Christmas and maybe one other time in a year, so it's a treat. 

• Like 1

We have had Quiver's cinnamon rolls for years now.  Definitely a tradition.  I do them the night before and pop them in when I start my coffee in the morning.  I do up the icing the night before too.  I never quite feel like doing it on Christmas Eve but it never takes as long as I think it will and I usually do it while my little one is getting settled down.  It is nice to have it all ready to go in the morning and definitely a special treat.

The funny thing is that we always have orange juice and it is absolutely the only time I buy orange juice. I almost forgot to buy the orange juice this year and they would have been disappointed.  Orange juice is a funny tradition!

• Like 2

We usually do either homemade buttermilk pancakes or belgian waffles with real whipped cream and fruit. However, I can't have grain or sugar now and dd can't have dairy anymore, so I have no idea what in the world we'll have. Dd hates eggs too, so I'm probably just going to plop a big bowl of fruit on the table and call it good.

What about pears poached in a sugar/caramel syrup?

Fruit salad with bananas, dates, coconut -- more substantial than the usual fruit salads. TJ has wonderful dried coconut strips.

Kippers?

Smoked salmon with lemon and capers

Roasted chickpeas as a side dish

I think you can make a lot of dairy recipes with alternative milks, like almond milk. I am just learning about this myself, so no experience to share... Also, coconut cream might be worth a try.

I also like the fruit bowl idea. For holidays, I sometimes go out of my way to find exotic fruits -- star fruit, lychee, etc (well, exotic for us anyway). We just tried our first dragon fruit -- expensive, but so much fun to have something completely different. My favorite are just ordinary lady apples. And satsumas are traditional for Christmas. Adding fresh nuts to the fruit bowl can give you some protein. If those ornamental nutcrackers work (??), you could put one on the table too. Dried fruit could give your dd something sweet -- regular dried or sugared pineapple, banana chips, etc. TJ has delicious dried tangerines/oranges (I forget which).

Another idea -- vegetable dips. I have made roasted Moroccan carrot dip with harissa, minty green pea dip, cannelloni bean and garlic, etc. I've only eaten with bread, but I presume you could spread on Belgian endive instead. TJ has some colorful dips -- red pepper, also a dark red eggplant one (name begins with m...). ETA. muhammara

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Normally I can, but at the moment I have to keep my blood sugar steady like a rock so I'm totally avoiding it. :( We're going to have to leave Santa a salad and some coconut milk, lol. I'll definitely save the recipe and try it out later on though, thank you!

Santa thanks you. We always leave Santa almond milk and veggies because we're an allergy family too. My kids love that they give Santa a snack that is different from most families.

I've been thinking about Christmas breakfast over the last few days. I grew up with cinnamon rolls, and, later, breakfast casserole. However, we don't have a tradition in our immediate family.

I like the sausage in a crescent roll. Now to find a gf/df version of crescent rolls.

• Like 1

Santa thanks you. We always leave Santa almond milk and veggies because we're an allergy family too. My kids love that they give Santa a snack that is different from most families.

I've been thinking about Christmas breakfast over the last few days. I grew up with cinnamon rolls, and, later, breakfast casserole. However, we don't have a tradition in our immediate family.

I like the sausage in a crescent roll. Now to find a gf/df version of crescent rolls.

Oh! I just saw this. If you find that gf, df version, please share. :)

Are you completely sugar free, or can you do small amounts of natural sugar like honey or maple syrup?

Here is a grain free waffle recipe I just posted to the Sprite/Lemonade thread:

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/06/21/grain-free-waffles/

Light & Fluffy waffle tip: separate the eggs, add yolk to batter mixture, beat whites to stiff peaks and gently fold in to batter.

Usually for Christmas breakfast we eat Christmas Eve leftovers (from the big meal) but the big meal is on Christmas Day this year, so I'm not sure what we'll eat for breakfast.

This is my favorite recipe for grain-free waffles. I wanted to add that I use this recipe to do pancakes because I can't use a teflon waffle iron in the house (we have a parrot and teflon is deadly for birds, which makes me think I shouldn't use one period), plus waffle irons are a pain to clean anyway.

I've also done them with none of the sweetener and they've been fine; the cashews give it a hint of sweetness, and others can top them with a little maple syrup mixed with butter and heated (in fact, I heat grass-fed butter, maple syrup and some pecans or walnuts for topping). Oops - I see your dd can't have butter, but honestly, they could have just syrup and be delicious.

So glad for this thread. We had been doing Christmas breakfast for several years and going to my sister's for dinner in the afternoons, but this year we are doing our own dinner. I have been wondering what to do/have for while we are opening gifts because that takes a good while here (I have a system that makes it pretty challenging because I like it to last).

I often did a quiche and homemade cinnamon rolls and we'd have mimosas (hot cider for the kids), but I wasn't gonna do all that and then a big dinner. Looking at this thread is giving me some good ideas!

• Like 2

Is candy in stockings a thing? In both my and dh's family, stocking gifts are usually small, relatively inexpensive items. Occasionally that means something edible like candy or beef jerky, but not usually. I've seen a lot of you say your Christmas breakfast is the stocking candy so I'm guessing it's more common than I realized. 

• Like 1

We just do canned cinnamon rolls for breakfast and then normally a egg casserole for and early lunch.  For dinner we do a turkey done in our oil less turkey fryer.  Not sure if we will be doing the casserole this year since we have church at 10 am, I have to find out what time my in laws are planning on coming over so we may just have a bunch of appetizers and treats for lunch.

• Like 1

We're having breakfast casseroles that I will assemble the night before and pop in the oven while we open presents in the morning. One kid requested blueberry French toast casserole and the other sausage and cheese, so I'm making two smaller ones.

I think you should share the recipes!  :coolgleamA:

There are some fabulous grain-free (almond flour or coconut flour), sugarfree, easy pancake or waffle recipes.  We actually like some of them better than the regular wheat flour renditions.  

I can make wonderful waffles using Pamela's Pancake & Mix, which can be found in some grocery stores. It is a gluten-free, almond meal-based mix, so you get some extra protein too! I've only made waffles and several variations of muffins with this mix but she usually has several recipes on the bag. HTH!

We do either:

bagels, lox, cream cheese, tomatoes, capers, etc.

breakfast casserole (hashbrowns, turkey sausage crumbled, eggs, cheese, red/green peppers)

other form of eggs (my Mom has these egg coddlers which we all love)

homemade sticky buns (using the recipe involving crescent dough)

or

Go out to brunch.

I'm thinking the bagel and lox thing is going to be my new tradition. Minimal work (nothing to cook, no pans to wash, no leftovers to deal with) and delicious salmon.

Candy and fruit is definitely a traditional stocking stuffer. It's also usually cheaper than non-food items. My sons stockings had:

Chocolate coins

Skittles in a candy cane shaped tube

Pez

Oranges

A chocolate Santa

Dipped pretzels

The non-food items were stickers and, for my older son dry erase markers and, for my younger son Minecraft Lego minifigures. Normally they would have more non-food items in their stockings but we were on a tight budget this year so I kept it comparatively low cost.

My husband filled mine with mini Reece's and foil wrapped truffles. I filled his with PopTarts (something he never buys but likes occasionally) and Hershey kisses.