Menu

What do you have for breakfast on Christmas morning?

Storygirl

We have always had quiche. I grew up eating Mom's quiche on Christmas, and now I make it, so it is a family tradition. But I think we will have it on the morning of the 24th instead, because that is when we will see my Dad, and we will be able to share it with him.

So I need a different idea for Christmas day. What do you fix for your family?

• Like 1

We usually do either homemade buttermilk pancakes or belgian waffles with real whipped cream and fruit. However, I can't have grain or sugar now and dd can't have dairy anymore, so I have no idea what in the world we'll have. Dd hates eggs too, so I'm probably just going to plop a big bowl of fruit on the table and call it good.

• Like 1

We usually do either homemade buttermilk pancakes or belgian waffles with real whipped cream and fruit. However, I can't have grain or sugar now and dd can't have dairy anymore, so I have no idea what in the world we'll have. Dd hates eggs too, so I'm probably just going to plop a big bowl of fruit on the table and call it good.

Are you completely sugar free, or can you do small amounts of natural sugar like honey or maple syrup?

Here is a grain free waffle recipe I just posted to the Sprite/Lemonade thread:

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/06/21/grain-free-waffles/

Light & Fluffy waffle tip: separate the eggs, add yolk to batter mixture, beat whites to stiff peaks and gently fold in to batter.

Usually for Christmas breakfast we eat Christmas Eve leftovers (from the big meal) but the big meal is on Christmas Day this year, so I'm not sure what we'll eat for breakfast.

• Like 3

Ham and mashed potatoes - sometimes a few extra sides.

We started it when going on Christmas Day to visit my in-laws and MIL got too old (early Alzheimers at the time) to make a traditional-type dinner, so we had cold cuts there.  I don't mind that at all, but wanted my kids to have more of a Christmas Dinner feel to the holiday, so we switched dinner to breakfast.

One year we stayed here, so I planned dinner at a more normal time.  Middle son was bummed that we weren't going to have our "traditional breakfast!"  I seriously had no idea I had started a tradition - that wasn't my intent!  But... there you have it.  It's not a bad tradition - we enjoy it.   :coolgleamA:

We'll have turkey for dinner somewhere around 2 or 3pm and ham + potatoes (and maybe a few sides) for breakfast.

• Like 6

We do sausage and egg biscuits for the grown ups and sausage wrapped in a crescent roll for the kids. My oldest is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts so a lot of traditional breakfast foods are impossible (like quiche!). He loves his sausage and crescent rolls though!

• Like 1

We have crepes with powdered sugar and real whipped cream, along with sausage and bacon.  It's been our tradition since kids were old enough to eat real food.  However, I no longer eat grains or sugar, so I usually make almond flour waffles or scones for myself in place of the crepes.  We added a frittata to the menu as well a few years ago, usually made with asparagus and goat cheese.

• Like 3

Are you completely sugar free, or can you do small amounts of natural sugar like honey or maple syrup?

Here is a grain free waffle recipe I just posted to the Sprite/Lemonade thread:

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/06/21/grain-free-waffles/

Light & Fluffy waffle tip: separate the eggs, add yolk to batter mixture, beat whites to stiff peaks and gently fold in to batter.

Usually for Christmas breakfast we eat Christmas Eve leftovers (from the big meal) but the big meal is on Christmas Day this year, so I'm not sure what we'll eat for breakfast.

Normally I can, but at the moment I have to keep my blood sugar steady like a rock so I'm totally avoiding it. :( We're going to have to leave Santa a salad and some coconut milk, lol. I'll definitely save the recipe and try it out later on though, thank you!

Our big dinner is Christmas Eve. So while I'm making rolls I make some into cinnamon rolls and put in the fridge to bake in the morning. We have ham on Christmas Eve and as I put it away I dice up some into a Baggie. Then in the morning I make oven omlets using the ham and pre shredded cheese. We have stream lined this as much as possible because we like Christmas Day to be as relaxed as possible :)

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 5

There are some fabulous grain-free (almond flour or coconut flour), sugarfree, easy pancake or waffle recipes.  We actually like some of them better than the regular wheat flour renditions.  

• Like 3

We're having breakfast casseroles that I will assemble the night before and pop in the oven while we open presents in the morning. One kid requested blueberry French toast casserole and the other sausage and cheese, so I'm making two smaller ones.

Both sound yummy. Recipes?

• Like 1

Is this only for christmas or do you always eat cooked breakfasts?

:faint:

Christmasday is our busiest day of the year since many years,

So we tend to eat pretty frugal that day.

So breakfast will be our standard 'we have to work to day' breakfasts.

I don't cook breakfast every day. My kids usually make their own cereal, toast, or oatmeal before school. But I like to have something more substantial on Christmas, because we tend to have our big meal later in the day instead of at lunchtime. At our house, breakfast on Christmas tends to be more of a brunch halfway through the morning, because my kids want to open some gifts before eating.

And having a special breakfast is a treat at our house.

I do like to have something prepared in advance, though. I can do the quiche ahead of time, which has been nice.

• Like 1

I don't cook breakfast every day. My kids usually make their own cereal, toast, or oatmeal before school. But I like to have something more substantial on Christmas, because we tend to have our big meal later in the day instead of at lunchtime. At our house, breakfast on Christmas tends to be more of a brunch halfway through the morning, because my kids want to open some gifts before eating.

And having a special breakfast is a treat at our house.

I do like to have something prepared in advance, though. I can do the quiche ahead of time, which has been nice.

I agree that special breakfasts are a treat. We eat them on birthdays when we have time for it to enjoy the special food.

Quiches as breakfast would be a revolutionary thought here though :)

• Like 1

Nothing special and I am only dimly aware that it's a thing for many people. Hmm. I wonder if it's worth starting a new traditional this late in the game.

I think I won't. I'll let my boys not have a breakfast tradition and when they get married they can do whatever their wives want to do.

And when they're gone, my DH and I will start our own breakfast tradition.

• Like 6

Usually we have breakfast casserole, but dd is now off all cheese and dairy. IDK what we will do! We get a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls from a parishoner's wife and usually bake those--super sweet and dd can't have them, either, but I will still do them because they will just go to waste otherwise. 

Dairy-free sucks. We have yet to find a decent fake cheese. 

• Like 1

Usually we have breakfast casserole, but dd is now off all cheese and dairy. IDK what we will do! We get a pan of homemade cinnamon rolls from a parishoner's wife and usually bake those--super sweet and dd can't have them, either, but I will still do them because they will just go to waste otherwise.

We gave up on fake cheese years ago. But my son has always been allergic so he doesn't miss cheese. Dairy free is very hard!

• Like 1

I use this recipe, but I put the blueberries on before the crumble topping to bake inside. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/baked-french-toast/

This is my base recipe for the sausage and cheese one, but I'll add more eggs if it seems to dry. I've also halved the sausage and added mushrooms. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cheese-and-sausage-breakfast-casserole-1591

• Like 1

I've made the French toast casserole with vanilla soy/almond/coconut/whatever other substitute milk someone prefers. It turns out pretty well.

I wasn't the one whose recipes you requested, however, here is the blueberry french toast casserole we make every year.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/blueberry-french-toast

The casserole is this one - http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-sausage-and-egg-casserole-44645

And we make these every year for Christmas breakfast also.  They are so easy!  https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/flylady-cinnamon-monkey-bread/188286

• Like 3