Menu

Molasses

Plateau Mama

Molasses  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you expect to find molasses in the grocery store?

• Baking
    • Breakfast
    • Produce
    • Other

This actually varies by grocery stores. I've seen it most often in breakfast with the syrups (why??? who puts molasses on their pancakes???) but sometimes it shows up in baking. I've never seen it in produce.

Molasses on pancakes= yummy! We live in maple syrup country so that's our go-to, but we do like molasses too.

We used to live near a big producer of molasses and people used it on everything. It's not just a southern thing.

• Like 1

This actually varies by grocery stores. I've seen it most often in breakfast with the syrups (why??? who puts molasses on their pancakes???) but sometimes it shows up in baking. I've never seen it in produce.

Produce was actually an answer from a friend. Her grocery store moves it to produce during the holidays.

This. It belongs in baking with the other sugars and sweeteners (IMHO) but for some unknown reason a lot of stores decide it should be next to the maple syrup. I can never find it when it's there. Well, until I remember that's a thing...

• Like 1

I always find it where the syrup is, except on the holidays when it is often on an end cap somewhere with other baking stuff. 

• Like 1

In the breakfast aisle, but I only know this because I spent almost half an hour going aisle by aisle searching for it after it wasn't on the baking aisle.  <_<

It was in a rather obscure spot on the breakfast aisle at that. Not with the other syrups. I think they do things like this to try and make you buy more. Our store just chose to reorganize itself in the weeks before Thanksgiving. Because you know, with the holidays you want to spend time trying to figure out the new layout. Ugh. 

I would look with the sugars etc in the baking section. That is where it is my usual supermarket.  I don't think I've ever seen it with the maple syrup. 

I use molasses quite a bit, I can go through more than one jar in a month, so I know where to find it, lol

I've never put molasses on pancakes or waffles, but I live in maple country, so that might be part of it. But, I have frequently made gingerbread waffles that have molasses as an ingredient.

I voted baking. However, at my local store it's with the syrups in the breakfast aisle. On the bottom shelf. Which was why one year I was so confused thinking my store didn't even carry molasses. Aha, it just wasn't where I thought it would be.

I had a similar problem with trying to find honey. It's not in the baking aisle; it's with the peanut butter and jelly. Same aisle as breakfast but the other side of the aisle and on the other end from where molasses and syrup are.

It's always in baking in both the grocery stores I go to.

What I never seem to be able to locate is Llyle's Golden Syrup.  Sometimes its in baking with the molasses, sometimes its with breakfast things with maple syrup, and sometimes its with imported foods.  And sometimes, like yesterday, it isn't there at all.

Edited by Bluegoat

It varies from store to store. It can be in the baking aisle, wherever the pancake syrup is (breakfast aisle usually) or with the jams and jellies. In the south molasses was often used on biscuits just like jam or jelly, so . . . that explains that placement.

Pssst...It still is used on biscuits. My dh swirls it in with butter and dips his biscuits in it.

• Like 3

Nobody puts molasses on their oatmeal?

Oh, that would be so good with some powdered ginger added.

We put molasses in milk, tastes really good. Molasses has worked really well getting my iron up when it's not too deficient. It's ricn in a few other nutrients too. I've always used organic blackstrap from the healthfood store. Not sure how refined, commercial would compare for medicinal purposes.

• Like 1

It's always in baking in both the grocery stores I go to.

What I never seem to be able to locate is Llyle's Golden Syrup. Sometimes its in baking with the molasses, sometimes its with breakfast things with maple syrup, and sometimes its with imported foods. And sometimes, like yesterday, it isn't there at all.

I have never seen Llyle's in the store. I ordered a 6 pack from Amazon.

This. It belongs in baking with the other sugars and sweeteners (IMHO) but for some unknown reason a lot of stores decide it should be next to the maple syrup. I can never find it when it's there. Well, until I remember that's a thing...

Kind of like when my grocery store moved the Velveeta Cheese to the Pasta aisle. What?! Presumably because of mac n cheese, but who looks for a cheese loaf with the pasta?

• Like 1

Kind of like when my grocery store moved the Velveeta Cheese to the Pasta aisle. What?! Presumably because of mac n cheese, but who looks for a cheese loaf with the pasta?

Mine did that too. I recall hearing people asking where the Velveeta was after that. They also moved the pepperoni. Is it next to the prebaked pizza crusts and cans of pizza sauce? No! It's down by the milk on its own display cart. Which is nowhere near the deli nor the prepackaged sandwich meats/sausages/hotdogs. It's not even near the cheese. It's almost near the pillsbury canisters of pizza dough, though. Almost.

• Like 1