Menu

What are your kids asking for this year?

mommyoffive

What is on their wish list? 

I need to come up with lists for the kids, my trying to convince the extended family not to give the kids presents at all didn't work.  Sigh.   I tried to just get them to go do something a show.  Nope.

I have tried to get them to give them experience things.  Nope.

The only thing the kids are asking for is a dog.  

How old is your kid?

What is on their wish list

Things related to fairies and unicorns around here. My girls are almost 8 and almost 5. They'll also be getting some art-related stuff and some games.

DS is 2.5 and doesn't know to ask for anything. He's getting a Busy Farm (from Discovery Toys) and...other stuff. I don't even remember. Oh, he's getting Magnatiles from my parents.

My almost 8 yo DD asked for:

Books

Ticket to Ride First Journey game

Play cash register and food

Set of Narnia audiobooks

Tangled game

Clothes for her American Girl type doll

A purse

My almost 6 yo DS:

Magnatiles

A Lego dragon set

Books about dinosaurs

Fireman and policeman dress up outfits

Sum Swamp game

Monsters Inc. movie

My 2 yo DD:

Anything Winnie the Pooh related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BrittanyM

Ds18 asked for a harry potter coloring book, red lobster gc, walmart gc and some dvd seasons of a couple of the animes he enjoys.

Dd17 asked for tim hortons gc, olive garden gc, walmart gc, pokemon moon and button down shirts.

Ds13 asked for walmart gc and nerf rival guns to add to his collection

Dd9 asked for potato head, twozies, shopkins, and a walmart gc

Most years my kids have really long lists, this year it was like pulling teeth to evwn get those lists. Dd17 said they didn't want to ask for anytjing because they know i already spend all i have on them, their activities etc. I reminded them there are others in the family that want to get them gifts and not to be silly, of course i am getting them gifts. THEN they finally gave me those short lists.

• Like 1

DD5 is hoping for 18" doll accessories and books.  She hasn't asked for anything else but she loves magnatiles - those are such a great gift idea.  Art supplies are always good.  She likes play-doh still, too.  We have a new scooter for her, too.  

DS12 is hoping for a magnetic sand timer, a plasma ball, and he really wants a thermal image camera but that's not likely to happen!   He's hoping for a book on film-making, and books in general.  Anything Minecraft, Lego, Harry Potter is good for him, too.

Our kids are also getting, but don't know it, a ping pong table and bean bag chairs - those are things we were going to do eventually anyway, and we're just throwing them in with Xmas.

DD12 wants drawing/art supplies and Elves or Creator Legos

DD10 wants cooking stuff, board games,and Star Wars or Elves Legos

DD9 wants another 18" doll and accessories and Lego Friends

DS7 wants magic tracks, play mobile, and any Lego except friends or elves.

My DH wants to try to find one larger Lego set that might appeal to all of them but I'm not sure if that will be possible. We'll also get them more Adventures in Odyssey CDs and books.

Sigh. This is the worst year for me trying to get them gifts lol.

Dd1 (11 year old)

Taser (??? What??? Sheesh)

Lighter (wouldn't have a problem with this except I don't trust it up in her room...too many little people here)

Money/gift cards (ok, but kinda boring for us to get for her!

Washi tape (fine. This is something I can get her. A bunch of washi tape lol)

Dd2 (8 year old)

Her own gymnastics gym (right.)

A gymnastics bar set (hmm. Just where can we put this? She says in the living room. Negative)

Dd3 (6 year old)

A pet (this wouldn't be so bad, except for the pets she's asked for have been-a fawn, a hummingbird, and a scorpion. Seriously???)

A hatchanimal (or whatever they're called. You know, those stupid eggs that hatch that can't be found in any store and that people are now selling on eBay for $200??? That. Not going to happen. I wasn't even willing to pay the normal price of $60 for that thing!)

So. Christmas will be disappointing all around. And I have no energy to come up with good alternatives. 😖

• Like 2

Mine are 11 and 12

My Mom always gets all her grandkids:

15 to 20 dollar lego set (I, with the help of my kids pick them all out)
Black licorice

Something she knits. This year my boys are getting headbands
Some cash
The option of something she can find at a thrift store. She is a good thrift store hunter. My boys often play with stuffed animals so she might give them one or two. 

My Dad varies. One year he made a small shelf thing to store nick nacks. This year he is making them a new chin up bar. We have it in our main hallway and it has several different height options. The boys can attach a knitted swing to it and swing. They can also lower it and do, 'skin the cats' from it. They want another one.

My FIL use to always get them slippers.

My Brother and SIL gets them whatever her similar aged kids suggest from Toys-R-Us. Nerf guns, that kind of thing. SIL also usually gets Eldest something related to running since, just like Eldest she is a runner.

I usually get them socks. They are very particular about socks and like the ones from the running store we meet at for running club. I also give them several food items they like. 

If anyone asks I say they are requesting Duct-tape. It can be found at the grocery store, or ordered online. It is not expensive and will always be used. The gift giver can also fancy it up with colored duct-tape, or just go with gray. The boys can also play with it right away and make something, or save it for later use.

DD15

a camera (good quality, one with the lenses you can change; I'm not up with that sort of thing, so DH handled that purchase)

DS7

3DS (again, this is tech so DH is handling the finding and purchasing)

DS4

a robot (tech again; DH territory)

The kids each ask for their one "big" gift. Other than that, we buy them things that we think/know they will enjoy and that will have a surprise factor - we hope).

I think my mother got them all personalized sock monkeys. Okay :D

Usually my father and stepmother send gifts, but we've been estranged for about a year now, and they haven't talked to the children in about 6 or so months, so I'm not sure if they will send gifts, and if that do, what they will be.

I bought Niece (9) the illustrated first HP book. We all went to Universal over Thanksgiving and she caught the obsession-bug :) 

I'm buying Nephew (6) a large-ish MInecraft play set.

Nephew (7) is getting some sort of soccer PS4 game he wanted from us.

Nephew (10 months) is getting a shape sorter.

DS wants anything lego and a big nerf gun

DD7 wants a snowboard and roller skates

DD5 doesn't really know she can ask for stuff, so she's a little iffy. 

ETA: I feel your pain on relatives not responding to the request for experiences. I kinda understand though, because that kind of thing costs a whole lot more than stuff! I can't do that for my nephews or niece. 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

14 yr old dd

A Freyr doll and 18mm scarlet eyes  (a blank cat-doll that you paint and put eyes in and make hair and clothes for) and supplies

Books (fiction and non)

An Ever After doll (so she can blank it and re-make it) She wants to make Apple White into Harley Quinn 

Art supplies (she draws Manga and paints)

mogo charms

boots

A squishable (a type of stuffed animal from squishables.com)

13 yr old ds

a new mp3 player

book sets (fiction)

Lego Ninjago dragons

Lego Wall-e

Movies

Video games (which he can't have for many reasons -long story) Board games and individual strategy games will be given instead

a particular set of shoes and specific clothing items

ETA: I joked with my mom that I have never bought a toxic chemical as a stocking stuffer before  :huh: , but I did this year. It is a type of sealant spray that is made in Japan but can still be bought in the US. It is used to set and protect the new paint/make-up on the dolls dd wants to remake. She will have to use it with her dad and a respirator. Dd has always been a bit weird even for a homeschooled kid  :tongue_smilie: .

Edited by jewellsmommy

DD is 7 and she wants (not edited for feasibility  :lol: ):

climbing rope

lathe

pottery wheel (will get lessons instead since the quality on kid's wheels is terrible)

the roving robot from Mindware

a regulation balance beam  :blink:

A pumice stone and hand balm for her calluses  :laugh:

Lego

Moana costume

Melody, the new historical American Girl doll

DS 3 wants an astronaut costume. 

DD 5

A pink sparkly dress with bows

pink sparkly heel shoes

a pink sparkly tiara or crown that is REAL.  Mommy it has to be real!!

a two story pink castle with stairs

A Ken doll and Ken clothes

a Christmas hat

clothes, clothes, clothes

make up  :huh:

She's not getting the crown or the castle.  :lol:

DS 7

A wood carving kit

a bow and arrow

a BB gun

an airbrush

a board game

Dragon Quest Builders which is apparently a video game

multi tool

water colors

Between family and us, he's getting everything but the wood carving kit so far.   The airbrush is a Crayola one, so here's hoping!

9yo boy:

Lego

Fishing pole

Bigger Nerf gun

Calvin & Hobbes book (he's getting a book plus a Hobbes pillow and 3 prints for his room)

Board games

Lego dimensions characters

Swim gear (fins, paddles, kick board, bag, gear bag, parka)

7yo boy:

Lego

Fishing pole

Nerf gun

Board games

He's asking Santa to surprise him. Santa's bringing a Harry Potter chess set from Etsy.

Edited by UCF612

14 year old girl: PS4 games and some books

5 year old boy: Robodog from Paw Patrol 

A real puppy of his very own to name (not happening) 

4 year old girl: A Hello Kitty ride on car

Shopkins

Let's see...I give each of my kids four presents (but don't use the usual rhyme). Santa only stuffs the stockings.

DS12

legos

his own set of really good colored pencils and a lightboard to help with drawing (he's always standing at the window tracing his drawings onto new paper)

a tower of books (he always wants a tall stack of books so I start stashing them in the summer so he can get quite a few!)

Pandemic Legacy

my inlaws are getting him a fancy remote control car that works on sand & rocks

he'll get books from anybody else that gives him gifts (he is a HUGE reader!)

DS5

legos

ticket to ride first journey

snap circuits

stack of books

my inlaws are giving him a coupon book with different things to do with them and he'll redeem one a month (they did this last year and he LOVED It - best gift ever!)

he'll get puzzles and books from anybody else that gives him gifts

DD2

fairy blocks

dollhouse furniture (just one room)

3-wheeled scooter

books

my inlaws are getting her a child size broom

she'll get puzzles and books from anybody else that gives her books

Things on their wishlist

DD10

Guinness Book of world records 2017

Yahztee

( thats all mum cause I know you don't have much money) 😘

DS9

Lego

Books

DS7 (what doesnt he want is more the question) 🙄

Lego (all the volcano sets and the big firestation)

Meowzie( talked him down to a cheaper cat that does more then just flash its stupid eyes)

A stuffed dalmation dog

Nerf guns

Mixels

Lego Minifigures

Googly eyes game

Skylanders Imaginator game

3DS xl 🙄

Pokemon games

Heel skates

13 storey tree house books

Hotwheels cars and fifty different types of track

😆😆😆😆😆

My first two kids will be getting more then their list...DS7 will be getting way less 🙄

All of our children and children-in-law (13 in all)) exchange names for Christmas and are supposed to put together a list for ideas.  My 15 yo ds cannot think of anything that he wants.  Nothing.  Yesterday he came up with an idea for something that someone else wanted and thought that maybe he could just ask for that and then give it away.  You just have to appreciate someone with a complete lack of materialism, I guess.

Not much.  My dd asked for something to play music and a blanket moose thing she saw at Target and that's about it.

DS (16) started working and has bought everything he has wanted.  We are buying him a leather riding jacket hopefully before he buys it himeself and some thin thermals.

My 2 adult kids have not asked for anything one is getting tires and rims for his car the other cash.

He wants a wool coat like the ones that come to your knees. Like a wool tench coat? " Wth"is what I said to that. Also, they don't make them for 12 year olds.

http://www.woodensoldier.com/boys-girls-wool-coats/K3608.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAg5_CBRDo4o6e4o3NtG0SJAB-IatYswCHos9acYCBUl-bnRuiKH3StbXi9gaBYLscy-p45xoC2fvw_wcB

That's the first one I found, but I know there's others out there somewhere. I see kids at comiccon cosplaying The Doctor and they have trench coats on. 

DS wants anything lego and a big nerf gun

DD7 wants a snowboard and roller skates

DD5 doesn't really know she can ask for stuff, so she's a little iffy. 

ETA: I feel your pain on relatives not responding to the request for experiences. I kinda understand though, because that kind of thing costs a whole lot more than stuff! I can't do that for my nephews or niece. 

Thanks.  I know it sounds kind of awful, but I don't want them to give the kids stuff.  We are drowning in stuff.  I am trying to get rid of stuff.  I returned half of the gifts they gave them last year and there is still stuff not opened. 

They played with the stuff for about 2 days and then done.

They are the only kids on both sides so it is just insane.

The extended family spends so much on each of my kids.  That is the thing.  I would say at least $500 per kid, from each extended family.   So yeah a lot of stuff. 

I am having a panic attack right now thinking of how much stuff will be invading my house in a few weeks.

That would buy so many experiences. 

And even if they were not spending that much you can get cheap experience stuff that they would love.  Giftcard to the movies.   

Dd, 3 when asked, said she wants "a present", lol.

When pushed for what she wants "in" said present... "A crayon" ...

Ok, then. Kids are funny.

We're buying a new house, they're all only getting little things, no one wants anything big or specific this year, good thing!

DE tuition bills are due soon, & summer camp enrollment is coming soon too.

Edited by Hilltopmom

He wants a wool coat like the ones that come to your knees. Like a wool tench coat? " Wth"is what I said to that. Also, they don't make them for 12 year olds.

We have found a few (for comic con or Halloween costumes) at thrift shops- look for a men's small, unless your 12 yr old is tiny. Even then, you could have it altered if you only pay thrift shop prices for it :)

http://www.woodensoldier.com/boys-girls-wool-coats/K3608.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAg5_CBRDo4o6e4o3NtG0SJAB-IatYswCHos9acYCBUl-bnRuiKH3StbXi9gaBYLscy-p45xoC2fvw_wcB

That's the first one I found, but I know there's others out there somewhere. I see kids at comiccon cosplaying The Doctor and they have trench coats on.

Thanks. I guess they are called "top coats"? This one doesn't have his size but now at least I have the correct term ;) thanks!
  • Like 1

We have found a few (for comic con or Halloween costumes) at thrift shops- look for a men's small, unless your 12 yr old is tiny. Even then, you could have it altered if you only pay thrift shop prices for it :)

He *is* tiny. But now I have the term, I can go look.

I love that my kid basically wants to dress in a Halloween costume. All the time. Not ironically.

Eta that I think my mom will custom make it for him â¤ï¸

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

And even if they were not spending that much you can get cheap experience stuff that they would love.  Giftcard to the movies.   

Stealing this to suggest to my relatives! I have IL's that buy a TON of presents. Trinkets. Stuff. I think a huge pile of wrapped presents is very important to them. They NEVER respond to requests for classes or tickets to events or memberships to anything. But they might spring for movie gift cards. Not sure. My FOO more likely. Thanks for that thought!

• Like 1

Stealing this to suggest to my relatives! I have IL's that buy a TON of presents. Trinkets. Stuff. I think a huge pile of wrapped presents is very important to them. They NEVER respond to requests for classes or tickets to events or memberships to anything. But they might spring for movie gift cards. Not sure. My FOO more likely. Thanks for that thought!

Wish you luck with that.   I tried last year.  I put so many ideas of all different costs.  Low like that and a bit higher.  But nothing.  Not one thing. 

This year I suggested lets not do presents at all and just go to a show or something.  Nope they dont want to do that either.  Even though it would be SO much easier for them.  No shopping, wrapping, packing everything to come to us.  Nuts. 

No underage kids at home. DS19 wants the PC game version of Battlefield One. We also got him a casual jacket and an inexpensive pair of VR glasses - the kind you attach to your smartphone. At our Thanksgiving gathering he was messing around with the ones dss has and though he didn't ask for them it was obvious he'd enjoy a pair of his own. They were only $15. 

For the grandkids 2 and 4? We have no idea. They have a lot of toys and we're waiting for dss and ddil to reply to our request for suggestions.

Edited by Lady Florida.

They only ask for 1 thing from Santa and then they talk with their sibling about 1 thing more they might like. Each girl buys gifts for sibling out of their own activity/gift budget (they get a good amount but still there's a bit of a trade off).

5 year old: asked for a 2ds with pokemon sun from Santa; asked sister for a zoomer kitty 

7 year old: asked for a 2ds with pokemon moon from Santa, asked sister for a microscope with slides 

Instead of suggesting they do this or that, can you just say no entirely? "Mom, Dad, if you buy them stuff it's all going back to the store or to the thrift shop. The kids won't get to use them, or even unwrap them. They didn't even play with most of the things you got them last year, and they didn't appreciate them. We simply do not have the room for stuff. We are not getting them stuff. If you want to buy a present, they want a membership to the zoo, or else movie tickets."

It sounds harsh, and it's probably not polite, but sometimes being direct is the only way to set appropriate boundaries. Don't "suggest". Don't "request". Just set a rule and stick to it.

Edited by Tanaqui