Menu

If you use "cheaters" (reading glasses)...

Janie Grace

How old were you when you first needed them? What was it like when you realized you did? 

I *suddenly* (as of about a week ago) can't see. Reading the computer screen is a huge strain. I have to make it 175% to see things and even then, it's hard. I thought my contacts were old/dirty, so I changed them and I still am straining. I mean, I can SEE, it's just... hard. It's difficult to even describe.

I was just trying to read the side of a package of tea and struggling and then I held it out farther (the way I see "old" people to) and it helped! I'm 41. Is that what it feels like when you need reading glasses? 

I have an eye appointment on Monday. 

For me it was this year, 48. But I have always been very near sighted and worn contacts. When it became apparent rhat I would need bi focals the eye doc could not come up with one not even a progressive that would work well for me sitting at the piano reading classical music with all the fine print PlUS being able to focus well on those I am accompanying. Nothing worked well. So I have multifocal contacts with a .5 readinf glass over them when I am readinf or at the piano and it is perfect. For everything else, I simply take the reading glasses off.

Dh, who has normal vision, gets eye strain from hours and hours at the computer. At 50 he started using a .5 in the afternoons when he started to feel the strain.

We get ours on amazon.

How old were you when you first needed them? What was it like when you realized you did? 

I *suddenly* (as of about a week ago) can't see. Reading the computer screen is a huge strain. I have to make it 175% to see things and even then, it's hard. I thought my contacts were old/dirty, so I changed them and I still am straining. I mean, I can SEE, it's just... hard. It's difficult to even describe.

I was just trying to read the side of a package of tea and struggling and then I held it out farther (the way I see "old" people to) and it helped! I'm 41. Is that what it feels like when you need reading glasses? 

I'm 40 and need them. I've been pretending I don't, mostly by enlarging the font on my kindle and such. But I'm over it. I'm getting a pair. I have a friend that is my age and got them at 39. I think anytime around 40 is common. 

• Like 2

I was 42 when I got bifocals.  I was also wearing contacts at the time, so I wore reading glasses with them.

dh . . . . . we won't talk about how old he was when he got reading glasses . . . . . :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare:   and I have more gray than he does . . . . :glare:

41 when I started wearing them. I just turned 45 and now probably need to get bifocals, but I keep putting it off. lol  I DID pass the vision test for renewing my driver's license just fine, so maybe I'll wait the 4 years.  :P  (I tend to put my reading glasses on for more than just reading now, so I'm mostly kidding.  Just need to fit an exam/glasses into the budget!)

Lol... my eyes went almost instantaneously right around my 40th birthday, almost like someone flipped a switch. I suddenly couldn't read with my glasses on. Still could with them off, so I managed to avoid needing progressive lenses till my mid-range went (too close with glasses on, too far with glasses off), which was maybe mid-forties? I may have actually delayed *getting* the progressive lenses a few years after I needed them, having to put reading material really close or backing away.

Mine came on suddenly as well, at age 40.  I went to read a pill bottle, and had to move my arm forward and back to find my focus.  I stopped dead in my extended arm position, and thought, "Why did I just do that?"  

It was all downhill from there.  I got my first readers probably shortly after that.  I believe they were 1.0 diopter, and I only needed them for tiny print (like pill bottles).

Since then, I've gone up to 1.5, and stayed there for years (I'm 53 now), but I still use 1.0's for the computer and piano.

It happened to me and it was FAST.  Like one day I was fine and the next I couldn't see to write a cheque, lol.

I just went to the supermarket and bough some reading glasses. I only needed the +1 and have been wearing them for about a year.  I have a pair in my purse and a pair I keep at home. I am considering buying a pair to keep by the bed. I shoul prob get a pair to keep in my knitting bag, just to reduce having to get up and get them, lol.

I was 48 when I started wearing them. I don't need any other glasses.  Well, I could get glasses for distance, but they would be so weak that I've never bothered. I can read street signs etc when I am driving so my distance vision can't be too bad.

The pair of glasses that I keep at home have a very faint yellow tinge (I don't notice it when I wear them) to reduce computer eye strain. They were expensive, about 30$, but I really, really like them. The do make a difference when I use the computer.

Come to think of it, it started after I had spent hours on the computer on a project (think 10 hours a day for three days). I wonder if it's related. Can you wreck your eyes from intense overuse???

Are you sure you don't have a bit of dry eye problem?

I got my first glasses (progressive bifocals) around 43 or 44. The need came on gradually. When it got to the point I had to call one of the boys to read fine print to me I knew it was time to get glasses.

But . . . dry eye can interfere with even normal vision. And working on a computer for very long is a huge issue for people with dry eye. Even with my glasses I can't spend too much uninterrupted time on the computer w/o paying a price (like not being able to see much at all for awhile). So just in case it might not be a bad idea to pick up some artificial tears and see if they help. FWIW dry eye can have a variety of symptoms--everything from gritty burning to watery, overly teary eyes. And sometimes for me it's just that aggravating inability to focus well.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I got them at 44, about a month ago? It was exactly like you described. I could see, but not really see. At some point I realized I wasn't reading books because it was too difficult. Texting was pretty much just a guessing game.

It's so much better with them, but the taking off and on is a pain. I find I can keep them on for more and more tasks, though, and peering over them is pretty natural, if silly.

I bought a more expensive but more comfortable pair at LensCrafters for daily tasks and taking out with me, and a cheap dollar store pair for next to my bed. They are the lowest magnification but really make a huge difference.

Around age 45, and it was gradual.  At first it was just for certain activities, especially in the winter -- perhaps because it's darker in the winter.  

The eye doctor suggested cheaters. 

Things I've noticed that make a difference, bad or good, for me:  going outside to take a walk (probably because I'm focusing at different distances and also getting different light frequencies), focussing intensely on close work (causes the eye to reshape itself), eating junky food vs. healthy (easier for the muscles and tissues to recover if they have the proper fuel)

I'm 43 and just starting to realize I'm about to need bifocals for the same problem -- make Kindle text larger, can't see small text.

My sister and husband (who do not wear glasses normally) started needing reading glasses about age 35

I started to have problems around 41 but if I took off my glasses, which are for far vision, I could do fine.  Now a couple years later even without my glasses I can't see up close well and I need to break down and get bifocals.  I am having some other eye problems at the moment, swollen optic nerve, so I don't want to invest in glasses until I have that figured out.

Very probably so.

But the sense that you thought your contacts were old or dirty--is what you are seeing lacking clarity up close like your distance vision is for far things? Or are you seeing things as if through dirt or a little watery?  If the latter, then there could be something else like cataract development going on.

At around age 40 I started using the readers from the drugstore.  It was more for eyestrain that actually needing them.  Then, at age 45 or so, I actually started needing them to see.  That was when I got my first pair of progressives and for the most part I love them.  What I didn't realize until I got the progressives is that I also need correction for distance--apparently you can be so farsighted that even things very far away will appear blurry.

I was about 42 or 43.  I got lined bifocals.  In the last few years, I have gotten lined trifocals.  My dh went from having normal vision to having nearsightedness in his early 40's.  They did do some additional testing on him but just decided it was late onset myopia.  Then maybe 4 years or so later, he got transition lenses.  I get lined glasses instead of transition lenses because of the arthritis in my neck.  YOu have to move your neck more with transition lenses than you do with lined bifocals or trifocals.

• 4 years later...

I struggled with distance vision since i was 17. I needed glasses to drive at night and in the rain. Eventually in my 40s it became a necessity to wear them for driving or seeing distance all the time.

After i turned 51.. LOL.. All the sudden I couldn't see close or tiny print.  I bought a pair of cheaters and really only needed them to read tiny print.  Then 3 weeks ago I couldn't seee my phone messages or any text on my computer, so I started wearing the cheaters daily so I could see clearly the computer or my phone.

The weirdest thing happened now that I can drive fine without my glasses and see street signs clearly. If I wear my distance glasses it's blurry now and only need to wear glasses to see the computer or my phone.

Has this happened to anyone? It's freaking me out! How did my vision switch? 

On 11/29/2016 at 7:10 PM, Janie Grace said:

I was 48, and it was pretty much like this. It’s been almost two years and I still find it very weird.