Menu

Has anyone tried period underwear?

SeaConquest

On heavier days I use them with a tampon...once it is pretty light I only use the underwear. I even use the ones with the lace on top overnight without anything extra and never a leak.

I had problems with disposable products making my skin irritated (not tampons though)...so I gave them a try to see if it would help. I have not had any irritation since.

I have 3 of the styles, the sport, the boybrief, and the one with lace on the very top (dont remember name right now). I do not care for the boybrief one and I usually wear boybrief type underwear...they feel like wearing spanx. Eek! The sport cuts through the cheek a bit making them a little more cheeky than I expected.  :lol: The lace on top one fits really nice too...I do not find that they run small, they are supposed to be a little snug to hold stuff in kwim? I used the measurement size chart, measured myself and went with the size on the chart. No problems.

They are surprisingly thin and do not rustle or anything, I usually cannot tell that I have anything different on. They do have a faint smell if you wear them overnight or by the end of the day, but only if you take them off and try to smell them. It is not like other people can smell them when you walk around. I am very sensitive to smells, so I would notice this if it was a problem.

Hope that helps!

• Like 9

Me!

I was curious about them so I finally got myself some. The Thinx are super comfortable. Some of the best made undies I have actually. I was curious to push them a little, so I did them without a tampon one day around the house and was pleasantly surprised. A medium day for me, but not a bit of leak and very dry, which I was impressed by. They're obviously not paper thin in the crotch, but they're not thick like a pad either. Maybe the thickness of felt? But different textures obviously.

In general, my flow can be really heavy and I don't hate tampons so I'll mostly keep doing that. I tried the diva and it didn't really work for me. But my flow is also super uneven a lot of days. I got them to wear on the days when I might just spot or I might have a light flow or I might have a sudden heavy flow. I hate having to put in a big tampon if I'm going out on those days and even just around the house, I hate having to change undies and wash suddenly dirty ones. But I haven't found pads or pantyliners that work for me - I always end up chafed (even with some of the natural or reusable ones). It's just ick. I've only had the Thinx for a little while, but I think they're going to be perfect for that. I'm actually pretty psyched by them.

• Like 4

my wonder is what about clots? I usually have small clots, so I'd have to wipe those off or something? Seems..icky. 

I have small clots too sometimes, I just wipe them off with TP when I use the restroom. No biggie deal. And Im not a person who ever took to cloth pads or anything. One thing I like is that the insides are black, so you dont really see anything (except a clot). It is like it all just disappears! 

I have been using an australian brand (modibodi) as back up for months and am really happy, i use them with a cup but have been just using them on their own on lighter days too. they have been wonderful, i have recently developed an allergy to disposable products so this has been so great to be able to have that back up

• Like 1

I don't think I get it. How do they not overflow? What prevents them from doing so? What are the advantages of these over pads you can take away and replace with dry ones? I'm not sure I want to sit in my menstrual flow all day long! 

I don't know. I love my Diva, like, a LOT. I honestly can't imagine how these would be better, but I'm open to being convinced!

:bigear:

• Like 2

Ooooh,  I thought that you meant bloomers and corsets and stuff.  You know, stuff from a former period of time!  No, I have no experience with thinx

I thought along the same lines as Jean and the first thing that popped into my head were bloomers as well - and possibly other contraptions and how uncomfortable they might be.

:lol: :lol:

• Like 1

I have these and love them! I wear them as backup for my Diva cup or by themselves on light days. I love not having to worry about leaks, especially at night.

Someone asked what you do with them afterward...you rinse in cold water, wash with the rest of your laundry, and then hang them to dry. Super easy!

• Like 4

I don't think I get it. How do they not overflow? What prevents them from doing so? What are the advantages of these over pads you can take away and replace with dry ones? I'm not sure I want to sit in my menstrual flow all day long! 

I don't know. I love my Diva, like, a LOT. I honestly can't imagine how these would be better, but I'm open to being convinced!

:bigear:

They have a special lining inside that soaks things up. Like I said above, the lining makes them slightly thick - I would estimate with all the layers (the soaky layer is between the pretty satiny outer layer and the special wicks away moisture layer that touches your skin) that it's about the thickness of a piece of thin felt in the crotch. But they're very well made. No worries about a pad slipping around or anything. They stay dry. I'm sure you could overflow them eventually, but they hold things really well - better than pads IME, though it's been awhile since I tried pads because they always irritated my skin so it could be there are better pad products now than a decade ago when I last tried again.

If you're happy with your Diva, you probably just want to stick with that. It's cheaper, for one thing. But if there are days that you have a light flow and wish you didn't have to put in your Diva, these might appeal to you. Or if there are days when you don't quite hit your Diva (this was my problem with the Diva... some days, it was great and others, it got, um, tilted funny or something... it's why I stopped using it) or overflow some, then you might be interested. 

• Like 3

Yes you can attach pads...it is no different than reg underwear in that way.

Working out...i do it, but this is not super comfy as they are meant to lock in moisture (away from your skin it's true), but they just don't breathe super well during workouts. Expect to sweat more in that area.

Edited by bluemongoose
  • Like 1

I've used them on lighter days in in conjunction with a tampon.  They work fine.  In my experience, the Thinx run pretty small so I'd keep that in mind when ordering.

Huh. I was in between and ordered a size down and they were fine. Or, not a size "down" but the smaller one. Maybe it really depends on the cut.

I do think tampons and diva cups are probably better overall... but I know there are people those don't work for. As I said, I couldn't make the cup consistently work for me. 

I ordered a pair for DD15 to try. She has very regular periods (lucky girl!) but was asking about something to use on the day she is expecting her period. She finds tampons and pads uncomfortable before she starts so I am hoping this will be. A good First Day option for her.

• Like 2

I'm sure you could, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

I think using a pad with the underwear sound great. For the last couple of years, I have leaked straight up the back, which has caused several embarrassing moments. I wouldn't need to use the pantyliner up my backside with this underwear.

• Like 1