Menu

Without googling...

Ginevra

Helen Twelvetrees  

272 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know what is alluded to by "Helen Twelvetrees"?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Would you have any idea what someone was alluding to if they said, "Helen Twelvetrees"? I am partially wondering if regional lore comes into play or if the person I know who says this is simply using a very old reference.

It sort of annoys me that the person who says this say this. My knee-jerk thought is, "nobody knows what that means!" But maybe I'm wrong. Would you know what this means?

Eta: meant to put a poll

Edited by Quill

But why was the person talking about her?

The person used the actress to suggest a child was displaying a particular trait, presumably a trait the actress was known for. Kind of like if you said, "how very Tim Allen of you" or whatever.

The person used the actress to suggest a child was displaying a particular trait, presumably a trait the actress was known for. Kind of like if you said, "how very Tim Allen of you" or whatever.

Got it.  The reason I asked is that apparently there is a cocktail known as a Helen Twelvetrees.

• Like 1

I'm feeling increasingly justified in telling "the person" (it's my mom) that she would do best to discontinue this refernce, as it is not understood by anyone outside of our family who is less than 70 years old. I'm tired of seeing people giggle nervously and look away like, "Well, whatever THAT means..."

• Like 4

Okay, so here's the allusion when my mom say this: the individual is being overly emotional, lachrymose. (And just for full confessions, I did not know the word "lachrymose" until I googled Helen Twelvetrees.) Apparently, the actress was in several movies where her character was like this (lachrymose) and so for my mom and possibly others many decades ago, it became a characterization of the actress herself.

My mom has said this often; I recall hearing this allusion throughout my childhood and it seems to me my grandmother and aunt also used this term whenever they thought one of us girls were being over-the-top over some disappointment. I wondered if it was regional because the actress died in Pennsylvania, and maybe was also born there. But maybe this just proliferates as an allusion in my mother's family.

In any case, I think it's time she stopped saying this. Nobody has a clue what it means.

• Like 6

Okay, so here's the allusion when my mom say this: the individual is being overly emotional, lachrymose. (And just for full confessions, I did not know the word "lachrymose" until I googled Helen Twelvetrees.) Apparently, the actress was in several movies where her character was like this (lachrymose) and so for my mom and possibly others many decades ago, it became a characterization of the actress herself.

My mom has said this often; I recall hearing this allusion throughout my childhood and it seems to me my grandmother and aunt also used this term whenever they thought one of us girls were being over-the-top over some disappointment. I wondered if it was regional because the actress died in Pennsylvania, and maybe was also born there. But maybe this just proliferates as an allusion in my mother's family.

In any case, I think it's time she stopped saying this. Nobody has a clue what it means.

Ok, I will not use Helen Twelvetree (didn't have a clue who she was, but enjoy reading about old film actors, so I know now!) , but now I want to use lachrymose......thanks for the new word!  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 4

Ok, I will not use Helen Twelvetree (didn't have a clue who she was, but enjoy reading about old film actors, so I know now!) , but now I want to use lachrymose......thanks for the new word!  

Me too!  I plan to use it today at some point.  Might be difficult with two teen boys.  They don't weep much. LOL

• Like 3

This is funny, and I get it, but you'd probably be more successful with talking yourself out of being annoyed than you would be getting her to change a deeply entrenched habit.

That's true, but don't you just cringe sometimes when parents say something that you know looks dopey?

I could ask my one sister to mention it. She's more direct than I am. She brooks no nonsense.

• Like 1

That's true, but don't you just cringe sometimes when parents say something that you know looks dopey?

I could ask my one sister to mention it. She's more direct than I am. She brooks no nonsense.

Oh, I do completely understand. In my life that person is my MIL. She says "death" when she means "deaf." I've been cringing for over twenty years. I also have the more direct sister. I'd totally pass the buck.

• Like 1

Oh, I do completely understand. In my life that person is my MIL. She says "death" when she means "deaf." I've been cringing for over twenty years. I also have the more direct sister. I'd totally pass the buck.

My MIL says jah-lep-noes are good in tor-til-ahs, and that tomatoes are good for the prostrate. I just picture the eye rolling smiley in my head.
  • Like 2

Would you have any idea what someone was alluding to if they said, "Helen Twelvetrees"? I am partially wondering if regional lore comes into play or if the person I know who says this is simply using a very old reference.

It sort of annoys me that the person who says this say this. My knee-jerk thought is, "nobody knows what that means!" But maybe I'm wrong. Would you know what this means?

Eta: meant to put a poll

Yes, but I have a theatre and film background.

• Like 1

I grew up with dramatic people being called Sarah Bernhardt.

If someone used the Helen Twelvetrees reference I would ask what it meant. I'm surprised people don't just ask.

I think sometimes people just chuckle a bit, figure they misheard her and, when no response seems necessary, they just move on.

• Like 1

I'm feeling increasingly justified in telling "the person" (it's my mom) that she would do best to discontinue this refernce, as it is not understood by anyone outside of our family who is less than 70 years old. I'm tired of seeing people giggle nervously and look away like, "Well, whatever THAT means..."

:laugh: :laugh:  I have no clue either, never heard of the name. Does your Mom use this a lot? I do love sayings that are "different." I have to google now.

• Like 1