Menu

pokemon go...

bettyandbob

My older dc (18 and 21) downloaded this. 21 yo is using it walking to work. Neighbor who is clinically depressed and rarely leaves the house texted my 18 yo and they went for a walk together yesterday and tonight. 

Are there young people around you walking around with cell phones out. 

I thought these people were all too old for pokemon, apparently I don't know anything. 

• Like 10

Dh who has never been a Pokémon player before is into it because it is fun for my kids. Many of my friends and relatives, all between 20 and 30, who loved Pokémon as kids continues to play the newer games as they came out. They are all very excited about this app. Some are talking about doing a Pub Crawl in our college town to drink and hunt Pokemon

• Like 2

Cool! DH is going to try this with the boys when the weather cooperates.

My dh found a Ratatta on the toilet at work. I was so proud. :001_rolleyes:

I showed DH this post and he laughed so hard the sleeping toddler nearly bounced off the bed.

Whole new meaning to Pokemon "Go"...

• Like 5

It hit my FB feed yesterday. All these photos that made no sense to me were everywhere. Dd explained it at dinner tonight and showed me one in Sonic. Apparently it's like video game Letterboxing. Some attempt to get nerds out of the house that seems to be working. I don't do video games since I lost a weekend of my life to Tiny Tower, but I'm a bit tempted with this one.

• Like 1

I was going to post and ask if others' kids are obsessed too. My indoorsy kids have been out multiple times yesterday and today! I have my concerns about it, but the concept is growing on me. Unfortunately, two fairly lucrative pokestops are in the large "memorial park" about 1/4 mile from here, so I had to have a discussion with the kids about traipsing around where other people might not be too thrilled about it! They agree to switch to the one at the fire station at the local park. 

• Like 1

I thought these people were all too old for pokemon, apparently I don't know anything. 

Yesterday DD10 went with a cousin (22) to a pokestop at a nearby statue, and they bumped into a group of older teens checking in there as well :lol: I haven't seen any other kids wandering the neighborhood though. 

My boys and I are currently watching season 1 of pokemon, en francais. :) 

I looked up pokémon Go, and supposedly saw an add for it. I admit I still don't understand it. My Dh is the only one in the family with a cell phone that has a data plan, so I guess that even when it comes to Canada it wouldn't be the game for us. 

We met a new neighbor tonight when he ran over to the road next to our property and bagged his quarry exuberantly at dusk. Glad there wasnt any traffic. Looks more fun than geocaching.

So those who have been using it.....how has it been on data usage so far?  My teen wants it but will have to use my phone for the data as we live in a hotspot wasteland.

It can't be that bad. We're 6 days into our billing month and our whole family (4 people, 3 phones, 2 phones using Pokemon Go) has only used 1.13 GB of data. 

• Like 1

All the older kids here are everywhere!!!  Pokemon GO has people all over the place.  We went out to eat and the waiters were asking what pokemons were being caught and you could see various older teens waving around phones and such.    They have been out riding to places to walk around and catch them all!   :)

• Like 2

DS just downloaded the game this morning. Apparently there were 3 Pokemon in our house.  :lol:  He's now out walking around the pond/park looking for more. 

ETA: DS just came back inside and said, "I caught a Pokemon Falcon, and then I saw a real falcon!" Works for me!  :D

Edited by DragonFaerie
  • Like 6

I gave it a try, but apparently it doesn't work well in a car when you keep zooming past the gyms and pokestops lol!

It does seem to sense if you are going too fast. Additionally, some things you collect require additional mileage to hatch. I have no idea what that means, except my 21 yo just went for a a 5 mile walk. 

• Like 6

It hit my FB feed yesterday. All these photos that made no sense to me were everywhere. Dd explained it at dinner tonight and showed me one in Sonic. Apparently it's like video game Letterboxing. Some attempt to get nerds out of the house that seems to be working. I don't do video games since I lost a weekend of my life to Tiny Tower, but I'm a bit tempted with this one.

*googles Tiny Tower*

Hey I need a game and don't get Pokemon

DH and I got it. He likes to play all kinds of games and he likes to be outside.  I like to be with him so I'll do it along with him, lol.  I am not a big fan of games or being outside.  But so far it looks cute and harmless. 

We like to go for long brisk walks during the summer evenings, like 5 miles if we can.  We are always trying to think of different places to walk to. This will be perfect for us.

• Like 2

Yesterday DD10 went with a cousin (22) to a pokestop at a nearby statue, and they bumped into a group of older teens checking in there as well :lol: I haven't seen any other kids wandering the neighborhood though. 

My guys were on their way home and stopped by a campus quad last night for the same reason. They said two guys were there sitting on the ground when they arrived, and by the time they left there were 20 of them. 

They're having a ball. 

We walked just over an hour today collecting.  We fought a fierce battle for possession of a gym on the way home.  After a quick dinner my 9 year old insisted on taking his father for a 5k walk to hatch an egg. 

A pokestop is just over our back fence. 

We may be addicted. 

• Like 4

We used all our pokeballs and I refuse to pay real money so we need to go find some stops to get more. We have no stops near us. At 10 last night I went out to get gas in the car and to drive by a park that has three stops so I could get the kids a few more balls. I saw at least half a dozen people who I'm sure were playing. And when we had gone out to eat earlier, someone at the restaurant next to us that is a stop had bought a lure for that stop. I think it's funny how quickly this has taken over.

Since my kids don't have phones and have to use ours, we have a "family" account so either one can use either of our phones to catch or gather items. They have to agree on using items, gym battles, and evolving Pokemon.

• Like 2

He didn't tweet about that, did he?! I saw a very similar tweet :lol:

He did!  LOL  But I'll bet there are hundreds of the same.  I went on a hike yesterday with 4 of my kids and you would not believe all of the people staring down at their phones on the trail.  UGH!  :P

Unfortunately, the one phone we own with unlimited data is mine-and it's a Windows phone. We're at a herpetology conference, and it's been fun to see all the grad students who spend their working lives out collecting snakes, lizards, frogs, and salamanders collecting Pokemon and sharing notes.