Menu

pokemon go...

bettyandbob

We ate lunch downtown today. Several 20 somethings were out playing. Our server talked me into downloading the app, now my kids are hooked. It's pretty fun, a good way to learn about landmarks, and probably a great way for me to burn through all my data way too fast.

Woot!  DD was very excited to inform me that our church this morning was a level 3 gym!

That's interesting, because when we were there on Friday our church was nothing, but the church two doors down was a gym.  

My kids thoroughly canvassed the immediate area around our home- and then some!  I think we're going to do some extended community exploring this week to see what we can find.  

I just heard about this a couple days ago when ds1 told me the friend he met up with at school was talking about all the people out on campus trying to catch Pokemon. Apparently there are 4 gyms on campus. Then yesterday ds2 told me he caught one at Best Buy. Though it's not something I'll likely get into it does sound like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I'm downloading it right now, but can't help but think of the Star Trek Next Generation episode where a hostile alien race tries to take over the Enterprise using a game that addicts the whole crew to it.

An obscure TNG reference--my admiration for you grows daily!! #PicardForever

• Like 7

My dh and kids have been having a great time with this together.  My kids have been walking way more than normal.  Also, when out and about today, they met several neighbors that were out too.  Adults, families and kids.  My daughter came home and said the game was making an awesome nerd community.  

• Like 3

I had never heard of Pokemon Go until reading this post... good thing I did. We just got back from walking to the park and there were **dozens** of people out playing it! It was a little tough for DS7 to ride his bike because people were walking with their phones out. Crazy! I have never seen the walking path so busy, except for organized runs/bike rides! 

• Like 3

We were talking about this last night at a graduation party. One if my niece's pointed out that she was expecting trespassing to be one if the negative results if the game.

So today, my pastor pulls into our country church and finds six cars in the parking lot, full of teens playing the game. We've had trouble recently with some minor vandalism so he just told them who he was and that he'd be watching them. That group eventually left and another group came in.

You can't really post no trespassing signs at a church - lol- but we are concerned about the consequences because the property is often unoccupied during the week. Probably will have to look into security cameras.

I spent the day at the Obon Festival in Japantown. There were lots of people playing and lots of Pokestops and so many Pokemon. I came home with lots of new Pokemon. And very few Pokeballs. Tonight I will be walking around trying to replace my inventory. It was super fun to be in the group of people all having fun together.

I'm downloading it right now, but can't help but think of the Star Trek Next Generation episode where a hostile alien race tries to take over the Enterprise using a game that addicts the whole crew to it.

As long as you don't see a little tornado thing, you'll probably be okay!

• Like 3

It's so awesome when these toolsheds try to ruin the fun for everyone (/sarcasm). A heads up to share with your kids and teens: http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/robbers-use-popular-pokemon-go-game-to-lure-in-victims/article_ca161f27-37b7-57bb-bfa6-a30b0563e3f0.html (it's a mobile link, hope it works)

I did have a laugh at the "younger, geekier" officers informing the rest of the department what the heck this game is. When I was a dispatcher, I used Facebook (still pretty new and mostly only open to college kids) to track down car owners to move their vehicles from in front of a dorm on parade morning. The officers could not figure out how I got all these kids' addresses and phone numbers so quickly! These new fangled technologies...

(I hope these guys get "Team Rocket" sewn into their jailhouse duds.)

Edited by BarbecueMom

We've arrived at my dd's university for orientation which starts at 8 am tomorrow. Dd has bunches of new things she caught from going out to dinner, stopping for gas and now in our hotel room.

She noted at dinner our server must surely be playing. The server had a tattoo of a shiny charizard.

She's not planning to play during orientation tomorrow. I'm sure there will be someone in her group playing.

The game runs down battery quickly . My older ds has started carrying a portable charger pack.

• Like 1

Does anyone have suggestions for a relatively inexpensive cell phone? DD is attempting to play on my iPad, since we don't have a phone that will run it, and just looking at my Facebook, it looks like it's a real social thing for kids her age, so if we could upgrade her account to a better phone on her tracphone plan, it might be worth it. She is usually completely disinterested in games at all.

• Like 1

Does anyone have suggestions for a relatively inexpensive cell phone? DD is attempting to play on my iPad, since we don't have a phone that will run it, and just looking at my Facebook, it looks like it's a real social thing for kids her age, so if we could upgrade her account to a better phone on her tracphone plan, it might be worth it. She is usually completely disinterested in games at all.

Following! It won't run on my phone or dd's tablet, so we've been playing along with dd's friend on her phone. 

I'm eyeing some of the phones on freedompop - I think they might work and are not as costly

I don't know where one gets this, but DS has a Chinese-made android phone called Oneplus X that works really well on our pay as you go ATT plan... This particular one was obtained in China, but surely can be bought used here?

DH and I are both hooked on it! I think it's awesome to go outside and just randomly interact with people. You don't get a lot of that normally around here. People just stick to themselves and there's rarely so much as a "hey" between strangers. But now we go out to the park and it's obvious who else is playing and people shout to each other when they find something cool or we'll tell each other where to find something when you pass. We live in an apartment and we've talked to more of our neighbors in the last three days than we have in the last year living here. There's just more people out period and a lot of people are moving more. 

I also just think it's a lot of fun! It made me happy earlier today when I got the Eevee evolution I was hoping for! I'd been chasing them all day to get enough candy to evolve it and that one has a random evolution so you don't know for sure which of 3 you'll get. You're never too old to have a little fun with a game!

• Like 3

Not to be a party pooper (which is what one always says before actually being one), but this showed up on my FB feed this morning. Just be safe.

http://m.wbrc.com/myfoxal/db_330638/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=g6gHr14A

I saw this too. Didn't take long for people to ruin fun. I think there must be away to still enjoy the game and avoid this.

I posted this on the Ed board as well, but if you see real animals while out searching for Pokemon and tweet them with the #PokeBlitz hashtag, there are some really awesome natural scientists who are identifying them. #IRLPokemon is also cute-scientists are creating pokedex entries for their study species. Both are neat bio tie-ins to games.

• Like 4

Following! It won't run on my phone or dd's tablet, so we've been playing along with dd's friend on her phone.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only person with a phone it won't run on. I have a Note 2, and not a clue why it's not compatible. Yes, it's 3.5 years old, but lots of people give their kids their old phones, so you'd think they'd want to make it compatible with older models. Not planning on buying a new phone until the Note 6 is out.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only person with a phone it won't run on. I have a Note 2, and not a clue why it's not compatible. Yes, it's 3.5 years old, but lots of people give their kids their old phones, so you'd think they'd want to make it compatible with older models. Not planning on buying a new phone until the Note 6 is out.

I'm guessing it has to do with the version of android it runs. Pokemon Go needs 4.4 or higher - our devices all run 4.0 or 4.1 :(

I'm eyeing the LG Volt on freedompop - $40 shipped and I think it should run Pokemon Go. But they also have a Nexus 5 or Iphone 4 for $100 each. I needed a new phone anyways, so I'm okay with it. Dd will get my old one

On day 2 of playing and now that my 20-to explained it better (evolving) I like it more.

We are in Washington DC today but unfortunately it isn't working the majority of the time.

But it Gettyaburg it was awesome. Not so awesome near where I live though, nothing in all those cornfields.

Dh has a blackberry. I'm assuming it wouldn't work on that. 

I also have a blackberry, so might not work because of that. If it does I couldn't really use it because I don't have a data plan. 

Neither of my boys have a phone.

What is funny is we got interested in pokemon a couple of months ago. For french enrichment we watch it, in French, with French subtitles. I think we are on episode 25 of season 1. It is a great first TV show in a foriegn langauge since it has lots of action scenes. They often announce what they are going to do. They often repeat themselves (Team Rocket always has the same song). It isn't always rapid fire conversations, andI find if you are learning a language all conversations seem rapid fire. When they are talking to a pokemon you don't have to worry about translating what he/she is saying. :p

I downloaded it last night. I'm still trying to figure it all out, but it looks like something my kids will love.

Tips are appreciated :)

Hit pokestops any time you are near one because you will run out of pokeballs quickly. 

When throwing a pokeball, try to release it when the green circle on the pokemon is at it's smallest. If the smallest circle isn't green, it's going to be a little harder to catch. If you have found any berries from stops or leveling up, you can feed a difficult pokemon a berry to calm it down first. 

If you get multiples of the same pokemon, you can transfer them to the professor to get 1 candy. The transfer button is at the bottom of their page. This will clear up your inventory as well as earning more candy so you can evolve them. 

The pokemon symbols on the bottom right are ones in your area. The number of track prints is how far away they are so if you see a one print, it's close and you can probably wander a bit and find it. I've seen numbers from 10 yards to 100 per print, but I find it to be about 20 yards per print. 

• Like 1

Our local cemetery had to close because it has over 20 Pokestops in it and people are idiots. They have contacted the company that makes the game to see if they can get them removed. But, on the plus side, local zoo attendance is up! I think it is a good thing.

There are ghost pokemon that are mostly near/in cemeteries. However, near should be sufficient for that.

Businesses can evidently buy pokestops and/or gyms for inside their businesses; if they do then it's on them that it will draw in players.

Well, we just had to start over because I found out that on iOS, when you log in with Google, you give the developer complete access to your email account. I went in to my gmail and confirmed that was the case and it was. I revoked the access, made a new address and then a new Pokemon go profile. Kids are upset that we lost our progress (were at level 13), but excited because we used the cheat to get a starter pikachu this time.

OK, this is just silly! This is a local police log ... the whole thing is just a treasure trove of silliness (strippers convinced they are being poisoned, but the real problem is a crappy diet ... and the pushing match between a father and an adult son over the adult son brushing his teeth too loudly, with the incident resolved because son agreed to go to sleep).

However, check out the last entry -- a Pokemon Go player was stabbed, but refused treatment so he could keep searching for Pokemon: 

http://www.oregonlive.com/forest-grove/index.ssf/2016/07/forest_grove_police_log_15.html

• Like 1

Ok, so if it was working, but now I can't see the symbols at the bottom, and it won't let me try to catch the pokemon in front of me, does that mean it just isn't loading properly, or does that mean I'm out of balls?

If you are out of balls, you will still be able to tap the pokemon and see it on your screen but the bottom where your ball should be will say "No pokeballs". You can also tap the pokeball image at the bottom and go into items. This will tell you how many pokeballs you have. If you just can't get the screen to respond to you tapping on the pokemon, then the app probably froze. It happens A LOT. A LOT LOT. The servers are way overloaded. Yesterday at the park my app was crashing with every catch. If you see a little white pokeball in the upper left corner spinning, that's it trying to connect. It will do this periodically, but if it's doing that constantly, you've probably lost it. I reboot when that happens. 

• Like 1

If you are out of balls, you will still be able to tap the pokemon and see it on your screen but the bottom where your ball should be will say "No pokeballs". You can also tap the pokeball image at the bottom and go into items. This will tell you how many pokeballs you have. If you just can't get the screen to respond to you tapping on the pokemon, then the app probably froze. It happens A LOT. A LOT LOT. The servers are way overloaded. Yesterday at the park my app was crashing with every catch. If you see a little white pokeball in the upper left corner spinning, that's it trying to connect. It will do this periodically, but if it's doing that constantly, you've probably lost it. I reboot when that happens. 

That is helpful to know.  Yes, the game is very buggy. It's juuuuuust fun enough that I forgive it, lol. But I lost two high powered catches today due to the game crashing and freezing.  It is very annoying. I caught them and then the game just stuck and wouldn't process. I had no choice but to reboot and, of course, then the whatever it was was gone. And I somehow skipped from level 4 to level 6 and was never told I had achieved level 5, lol.

I saw quite a few people out walking in the park tonight. I would have been walking anyway due to it being during ds2's TKD class, but there were MANY people commenting that they never come to the park, isn't it lovely, they should come more often etc.  I think that is a good thing. It is a lovely park, and more people should enjoy it.

I am seeing lots of older teens/ young adults and not so young adults playing, actually I can't remember seeing any kids.

I am really liking the augmented reality.  If more games like this come out, with me having to get out of the house to play, then sign me up.  I like it. I am having fun walking around town seeing people with their phones out and giving them a little "in the know' smile.

Only trouble is that DH works at a university campus and so that place is STUFFED with 'filling stations' and he could sit in his office and catch the occasional pokeman without having to go outside. He could see them out his window.  The arts quad was full of pokeman and now he is waaaay ahead of everyone else. It's not fair! He's like level 9 or 10 already!

• Like 2

In our area, it seems like all the churches are gyms.  I worry about the wear and tear that will create on them.  I hope places can request to have that revoked.  

Are there any phone security issues with it?  Can people use it in any way to get information from a person's phone? I gues I am thinking about how you have to careful about using businesses WIFI because it isn't secure.  

I also worry about some of the locations that have things like balls.  There is a water tower beside the road near where I live.  When we were driving past dd could get balls there, but there isn't a place to stop.  It was almost midnight and no traffic, so I just slowed down and she got them.  Same with a neighborhood park.  zero parking, but you can get balls when you are driving past.   Both of these are a traffic danger because people will be looking a their phones and slowing down in the middle of traffic.  We drove through the parking lots of 2 schools and there wasn't anything to be found, so I wonder if they specifically blocked those or if it was a coincidence. Costco on the other hand, was a pretty good spot to go.  DD caught 5 in a few minutes there LOL.

• Like 1

We walked 4.2 miles yesterday playing. I don't know that it's something I would have played on my own, but suddenly my kids want to be outside and walking around town all day. I'm okay with that.

Also, this is going to force me to exercise and maybe lose weight. So we'll keep playing. ;)

• Like 2