Menu

Kids' shows with gentle, positive messages?

StaceyinLA

What about Mr Rogers? YOu can't go wrong with him. A bunch are available on Netflix

My kids liked Little Bear, but I have no idea if that is still around.

My kids think Mr Rogers is the most boring thing ever. I'm pretty sure it's a reflection on the fast paced tech of our day. Makes me a bit sad.

• Like 2

I don't really know any recent kids shows unfortunately, but the ones with gentle messages that I grew up on Mr. Rogers, Franklin, Little Bear, Bear in the Big Blue House, Sagwa: The Chinese Siamese Cat, Between the Lions. Most of these can be found on Youtube, or cheap on Amazon for DVDs.

• Like 1

I don't really know any recent kids shows unfortunately, but the ones with gentle messages that I grew up on Mr. Rogers, Franklin, Little Bear, Bear in the Big Blue House, Sagwa: The Chinese Siamese Cat, Between the Lions. Most of these can be found on Youtube, or cheap on Amazon for DVDs.

My DD loved Sagwa when she was little. It was her favorite show. :) she still talks about that show.

• Like 1

I agree about Mr. Rogers. Ds loved that show. 

Thomas the Tank Engine is another along with Franklin or Little Bear

Maggie and the Ferocious Beast? Dragon Tales? Not sure on these as it's been so long since I've watched them. 

Rolie Polie Olie.

I haven't seen this in forever! Ds used to watch all the time. I still sometimes wake him up with "Wakey, shakey, Rolie Olie."

• Like 1

Oswald has beautiful music, a slow pace, and positive messages. It's cute and funny, too. Plus, Fred Savage voices the main character. I highly recommend it!

I like Lalaloopsies because the characters are so polite and nice to each other. Very sweet.

For the littlest kids, Curious Buddies is wonderful! Lots of good lessons and songs. One of my favorite shows ever.

I also recommend Curious George and Wonder Pets.

Thank you all. It's my dgd and she's almost 3.

We did find some Mister Rogers on iTunes and dd is hoping dgd will like it (she LOVED it as a child). I think she's going to get a couple each of Mister Rogers, Peppa Pig and Daniel the Tiger to see if dgd will like any of those. I'll also mention a few of these others to her.

Dgd loves Disney movies, but dd is worried because her behavior has really changed over the last couple months. I'm sure plenty of it has to do with her age, but dd just wants some lower key, more positive, gentle shows for her to watch.

She doesn't really watch much at home, but has some on her iPad for car rides (and we all live far out, so big grocery trips are a couple hours+ in the car), and dgd will watch the same parts of the Disney movies over and over (and some parts are a little creepy in some of those movies too). Dd just wants to limit the Disney movies to one or two a week at home, so dgd won't be able to just play those on repeat, and then have the gentler shows on the iPad.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1

I see Caillou mentioned. This is one of screen first since you are specifically mention not having bratty behavior glorified. Many people find Caillou to be a whiner and think his parents just brush the whining off or even cave to it. It really is up to you to determine if it's what your looking for. Just mentioning that because people either love it or hate it. Whining is the complaint I hear most about why people hate it.

• Like 11

We realized after the fact that a number of the shows mentioned in this thread really gave my son words to describe what he was thinking and feeling, and it helped him understand people a little better.

While Caillou is whiny, I think the whining gave him words for things that bothered him too, and when the mom kind of explains things or makes them less of a big deal, that helped him as well. Bonus: he learned to tie his shoes by watching that show.

Thomas the Tank Engine had a really positive influence as well on his social thinking.

I thought Mr. Rogers was dry at dust when I was little, so I never really had my kids watch. My second kiddo found it and loved it, and I feel bad now I didn't try it with my older one--he loved watching the few episodes he got to see with his younger brother. 

Curious George was a big hit too.

Handy Manny is great, and no bad behavior is shown. Great show. Catchy music. 

Bob the Builder

Oswald

Daniel Tiger has been HUGE in helping teach social lessons in this house, things like "grown ups come back" is so helpful. 

• Like 1

Where can you find this? My 16 yr old loved it, but haven't seen it in forever. 

I'm not sure anymore!  We used to be able to rent dvd's of it from our library, and I think there are free episodes on Youtube.

Randomly, I just found an episode (free) on this site, but I don't really know much about the site:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v30806991ZYwEmhGe

Team Umizoomi is meant to teach early math, but avoids the character problems I see in a lot of other shows. I agree with others that Super Why is also pretty good.

I remember when DS learned the phrase "I quit!" from Ni Hao, KaiLan. I was not pleased.

Kipper

Loved this show! So quiet and gentle, all the animals speak in soft British accents, it's wonderful. I would put it on for my youngest on Sunday mornings so I could lie on the couch while she watched and it wouldn't be aggravating to listen to.

here's an episode on youtube The Swimming Pool

eta - as far as gentle messages go, usually Kipper has a friend who will have some kind of problem and they work it out. It's done in a subtle way, no hitting you over the head with a moral, kwim? :)

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 3

My kids think Mr Rogers is the most boring thing ever. I'm pretty sure it's a reflection on the fast paced tech of our day. Makes me a bit sad.

My kids loved Mr. Rogers, but they were totally tech-free at the time.  No screens of any kind, well, until I showed them Mr. Rogers and that was all they watched at that time: i started allowing 1/2 hour or so just before dinnertime.  I think we started that when the olders were 5-ish and my younger was 3-ish?  Little Bear was another one I added in a bit later (on DVD, so it didn't matter what time it was on).

Lest you think I'm some kind of tech-Nazi-purist, now that my kids are older (high schoolish), they have smart phones and laptops and we have Netflix.... seems like everyone's always looking at a screen.  Sigh. Screens are like a genie, hard to put back in the bottle.  Without being total recluses in the hills growing our own food, I'm not sure how to avoid it as they get older, but it makes me extra-happy they had that time when they were little when screens were just not part of our lives.  Didn't miss them at all.

• Like 2

My kids loved Mr. Rogers, but they were totally tech-free at the time.  No screens of any kind, well, until I showed them Mr. Rogers and that was all they watched at that time: i started allowing 1/2 hour or so just before dinnertime.  I think we started that when the olders were 5-ish and my younger was 3-ish?  Little Bear was another one I added in a bit later (on DVD, so it didn't matter what time it was on).

Lest you think I'm some kind of tech-Nazi-purist, now that my kids are older (high schoolish), they have smart phones and laptops and we have Netflix.... seems like everyone's always looking at a screen.  Sigh. Screens are like a genie, hard to put back in the bottle.  Without being total recluses in the hills growing our own food, I'm not sure how to avoid it as they get older, but it makes me extra-happy they had that time when they were little when screens were just not part of our lives.  Didn't miss them at all.

Yes, this was us too :)  Except we did more Mr Dressup than Mr Rogers but we had him too. 

I see Caillou mentioned. This is one of screen first since you are specifically mention not having bratty behavior glorified. Many people find Caillou to be a whiner and think his parents just brush the whining off or even cave to it. It really is up to you to determine if it's what your looking for. Just mentioning that because people either love it or hate it. Whining is the complaint I hear most about why people hate it.

Just say NO to Cailou, always!! ;)

Edited by purplejackmama
  • Like 6

My girls like

- Curious George

- Shimmer and Shine

- Peppa Pig

- Max and Ruby

- Daniel Tiger

- Strawberry Shortcake

- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

- Wallykazam

- Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom

- Sophia the First

- Doc McStuffins

- Bubble Guppies

- Team Umizoomie

- Paw Patrol

- Goldie and Bear

- Sheriff Callie's Wild West

- Nature Cat

- Sid the Science Kid

- Peg Plus Cat

- Dinosuar Train

Edited by MomtoCandJ

My almost 3yo loooooooves Daniel Tiger on Netflix!  The songs are typical toddler songs, and so a little annoying for adults, but the messages are good.

He also loooooooooves (as do my almost 5yo and 7yo, and okay, so do most of the people in my house) Wild Kratts and Zobomafoo, both by the same people, and they're not so annoying.  Educational and solid messages about the specialness of God's creatures and caring for animals.  (They're secular -- God isn't mentioned, afaik, but that's how we view it in our house.)

• Like 1

Octonauts is like the biggest hit for my kids in that age range, as is Blue's Clues.

My kids LOVED Octonauts. I just asked them right now what their favorite tv show was and they both said Octonauts. We actually just gave our Octonaut toys away last week. We liked Disney Channel, so my kids did a lot of Sheriff Callie, Handy Manny, Chugginton... DD also loved Thomas. We do still have all our Thomas trains. ;)

My kids loved Bear in the Big Blue House. I found the songs a lot more tolerable than most shows for children. It seemed very gentle to me, but I don't really remember. I do think there was a part about Shadow that I thought would creep out the boys, but they loved it.