Menu

If you are at your ideal weight...

Gooblink

If you have maintained your ideal weight, or close to it, pretty much your entire life, would you share some examples of your daily eating habits? I'm interested in seeing how food quality, quantity, and calorie count vary among individuals.

Also, are you physically active, moderate, or sedentary? Active would be a regular exercise regimen. Moderate would be no formal exercise program, but not a lot of sitting. Sedentary would be mostly butt-in-chair.

I'm assuming there aren't many forum members under age 30, but  I'm mostly interested in hearing from the over 30 crowd. 

I'm curious because I'm trying to get to the bottom of my own weight issue. Until my mid-30s my weight stayed close to ideal, but over 12 years I'd gained almost 80 lbs! I lost 50 of it on a highly restrictive diet, but plateaued about 25 lbs from my goal and stayed there for about a year and a half, no matter how I tried to lose that remaining weight, nothing worked. Now, my weight is creeping up again, and I'm in a panic.

I am having blood work and other testing done this week to see if there's some underlying problem, but barring health issues - I'm guessing it's just that I'm eating too much, even at under 1500 calories a day, and will need to cut back and/or move more.

Thanks in advance for your help. I haven't been on the boards for a long time, so if there's a similar thread, don't hesitate to point me to it. I did a cursory search, but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I had to decrease cals & increase movement significantly when I hit my 40s & my plan now is to every few yrs reassess & decrease cals + increasing exercise.

When I charted it out it & extrapolated it looked like by the time I hit 80 I'd be in exercise class 7 days a week and subsisting on a green smoothie + a breath mint  :lol: 

Have you tried adding weights to your routine? 

How tall are you? At 165cm, my maintain is at about 1650-1750; to see weight loss I need to be around 1300. I walk miles daily, Zumba 3-4/week plus do yoga & I try to do the 7 min workout daily. 

I'd also recheck calorie counts or consider recalibrating your food scale. When you're down to these small amounts, 10% will matter but it's often a matter of just a few grams of food, kwim? I don't trust the labels on packaged foods - I think they lie about calories. Or prevaricate. Like one packaged bun which gives a calorie count for 1/2 a bun. Who eats half a bun???? 

Or I'd consider adding weights & resistance training and upping your calories a bit (maybe 10%) by adding something like a good complex carb & healthy low fat protein to your cals.

It could be you've tipped into the 'hoarding body fat because we're obviously in a famine' thing, kwim? Sometimes I think we need to tell our bodies, it's ok, there's food, pls build muscle and let go of the fat. 

Make sure you've had thyroid fully tested though because that one is the one that seems to screw up people the most....

• Like 8

I've been working to lose about 40 pounds since just before Christmas.  It's been really hard work!  I'm now back at my normal-for-me weight and I'm trying to figure out what "normal" eating looks like from here.  When I have lost weight in the past, I have gotten to my goal and then, for the most part, stopped dieting, only to soon gain back the weight (and then some...).  

So, a couple months ago, when I was down about half way, I started reading about maintenance and how to keep the weight off.  I really like Dr. Barbara Berkeley, a doctor who has worked with obese patients for the last 20 years, and what she says about maintaining - that it is much harder than losing...  I don't believe that I can eat the same as someone who has never gained weight and keep my weight off.  I believe that something in my body has gone haywire, and if I eat like someone whose body has not betrayed them, I will just gain weight like I did before...  The sad fact is, some people never seem to gain weight no matter what they eat, and some people seem to gain weight just by smelling cookies.  I am one of the latter...  It's sad but true.  

Here are a couple of my favorite articles by Dr. Berkeley:

Are You an Easy Keeper?  http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/12/are-you-an-easy-keeper-weight-after-menopause-and-before.html

Go to your Battle Stations: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/02/successful-weight-loss-stop-celebrating-and-go-to-battle-stations.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!  

• Like 2

I'm 39, and for the most part have been pretty consistant in my weight.  I was probably a little underweight during my university years, mainly from just not eating that well.  I'm 5'6 and weigh between 150-160lbs, which is at the high end of my "ideal" BMI but I am happy with it.  In my university period I was under about 125lbs.

As far as exercise, I don't do anything formal at this time, and am somewhat more sedentary than I should be.  In the good weather I do try and do a lot more walking, and do most of my errands and such that way.  I make a point of taking stairs, parking far away from doors, and such.

As for diet - I generally eat three meals, though lunch is pretty light, often I just eat a bit of the kids food when I make it.  I have to eat breakfast shortly after getting up or I get dizzy and sometimes faint.  It's usually light though, toast and some fruit or a smoothie.  For lunches I'll do sandwiches or wraps, pasta, but often I just make up a plate with sliced fruit and veg, cheese or maybe left-over meat, and some kind of grain product.  Supper varies - I like to do curries, meat or veg pies, soups with bread, sometimes just meat potatoes and veg.  I cook a fair bit of British style food.  We like salads a lot and fresh vegetables.

I don't really restrict far or carbs but I try and choose whole grains and no weird fats - I don't buy margarine or shortening.  I eat a lot of dairy, full fat or as close as I can get it(like the 10 or 12% MF yogurt.) I try not to eat too much meat but more for environmental reasons but this depends a lot on the time of year.  I like to keep about half our suppers without meat or very tiny amounts.

Thjs is in many ways similar to what I ate as a kid.  My mom always cooked meals with real ingredients at home, we had ww bread, milk at supper, losts of veg.  (Also - desserts which I still eat pretty regularly.)  There was a little more processed food - like breakfast cereal (though not the sugary kind) and things like Campbell's soup at lunch.  largely I think because she worked and was a single mom, and so money and time were tight at lunch.  But I never felt like "real" food came out of a box or can, or that we should eat in the car or all separately.  Eating well was something my mom was very conscious about.

ETA - I could not even guess at my calorie intake other than I am sure it is over 1500.  My biggest vice is evening snacking, typically salty or sweet.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

I know this won't be a lot of help, but I just read an article about this last month. It might have been NY Times health section? Anyway, it was a study of people who had not been overweight and had maintained a healthy consistent weight for their adult lives, excepting pregnancy, of course.  And the secret seemed to be....... they don't eat that much. That was it. They are conscious of portion size and if they have a special meal one day, they cut out treats for the next couple days. I remember being pretty underwhelmed by what I read, lol.

I'll try to find it later tonight if I have the time. 

I'm sorry. Weight issues are NO FUN. It's especially no fun when you are trying to convince a doctor or whoever that you aren't secretly eating twice what you report, etc. No one believes that you don't have a secret snickers habit. It just sucks.

• Like 7

I do not know what my "ideal" weight would be, but I have remained within a few pounds of my college weight with the exception of my pregnancies. I am  5'6, 132 lbs.I find that my weight is relatively stable (+/- 5lbs) to small fluctuations in activity and eating habits, so I assume this is where I am meant to be.

I have once in my life been on a diet when I had started bc pills and had gained 20 lbs; those I lost in 3 months of hard caloric restriction and never gained back.

My eating habits have changed over the years. I used to be a heavy bread eater (I am German), carb heavy breakfast, second breakfast, lunch as the main warm cooked meal (love veggies, dislike meat), snack in the afternoon and sandwiches in the evening, no heavy dinner except special occasions.

Living in the US I have developed an intolerance to store bought bread and had to eliminate it from my diet, very sad.

Having a picky eater who loves meat, I am now eating small servings of meet several times a week (too lazy to cook a separate meal for myself).

Quantities vary. Lots of fruit and vegetables, whatever is in season. I love yoghurt; it is my major source of protein. I eat few sweets, cook and bake from scratch; hardly any processed foods.

I have no idea how many calories I consume; aside from bread, I do not restrict any foods. I eat what I feel like and do not plan.

I am 47. Over the past 5-7 years I notice that I am less hungry and consume less food than I did in my 30s.

Activity: I am fairly active in daily life - love to walk, hike, occasionally bike to work. I never go to a gym or "exercise".

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I'm 41, 5'8 and about 140 lbs. in college I was closer to 125 or 130 but that was pretty skinny. I'm size 6. I think part of it is family culture growing up. We weren't allowed to sit and veg in front of tv much and were told to go outside to play etc. in contrast, DH family lives by vegging in front of tv and all have weight issues. My parents never drove around looking for the closest parking space at the mall or anything like that, we walked. My parents have a large garden and had a farm, so there was always some critter or plant that required chasing or tending. They didn't exercise on purpose much till retirement. I don't like to sit and watch tv or veg. I like to move. So that helps. I do have a elliptical trainer that I use some, but I've always disliked exercising for th sake of exercising. I like to Work in my huge garden, take care of the chickens, run up and down the stairs for some reason a dozen times a day. I would rather walk than drive if I could. DH and his family plaster their butt to the recliner and think it's great if someone will serve them. So I think that attitude is part of it. My family is one generation removed from sharecroppers, and DH family took pride in being town folks who worked in factories and didn't have to slave away on the farm.

Also, we never had sodas and chips and cookies in the house growing up. It was basic non processed foods for the most part, that someone in the family had grown. We enjoyed our desserts and junk, but usually it was made from scratch not bought, and junk was a thing for parties. My mother also talked a lot about nutrition, was reading magazines about it in the 60s. One final thing: I Do not buy larger sizes if the ones I have start to get Tight. I have no backups, if they become tight it's time to cut back on the food. Excuse random capitals I pad.

• Like 1

I had to decrease cals & increase movement significantly when I hit my 40s & my plan now is to every few yrs reassess & decrease cals + increasing exercise.

When I charted it out it & extrapolated it looked like by the time I hit 80 I'd be in exercise class 7 days a week and subsisting on a green smoothie + a breath mint  :lol:

I might be there, now! :)

Have you tried adding weights to your routine? 

In the past I had - strength training 3 days a week, cardio 5-6 days. After 18 weeks of 1.5 hours a day working out, I'd lost virtually no body-fat percentage. Very discouraging. That was during my plateau phase.

How tall are you? At 165cm, my maintain is at about 1650-1750; to see weight loss I need to be around 1300. I walk miles daily, Zumba 3-4/week plus do yoga & I try to do the 7 min workout daily. 

I'm 5'4" and my doctor says I should weigh about 125, which is where I was until my mid-late 30s. I'd feel really good to see 140 again. 

I'd also recheck calorie counts or consider recalibrating your food scale. When you're down to these small amounts, 10% will matter but it's often a matter of just a few grams of food, kwim? I don't trust the labels on packaged foods - I think they lie about calories. Or prevaricate. Like one packaged bun which gives a calorie count for 1/2 a bun. Who eats half a bun???? 

Or I'd consider adding weights & resistance training and upping your calories a bit (maybe 10%) by adding something like a good complex carb & healthy low fat protein to your cals.

Good points. 

It could be you've tipped into the 'hoarding body fat because we're obviously in a famine' thing, kwim? Sometimes I think we need to tell our bodies, it's ok, there's food, pls build muscle and let go of the fat. 

I thought that might be it, as well. My trainer suggested adding calories, but after several months, that didn't make any appreciable difference. I wasn't gaining weight, but not losing, either. And, honestly, that 1.5 hour/day workout schedule just isn't something I'm willing to maintain long-term.

Make sure you've had thyroid fully tested though because that one is the one that seems to screw up people the most....

I'm meeting with the doc next week to discuss blood work. If everything's normal, I'm just gonna have to face the hard truth! :)

Thanks so much for your input.

• Like 1

I've been working to lose about 40 pounds since just before Christmas.  It's been really hard work!  I'm now back at my normal-for-me weight and I'm trying to figure out what "normal" eating looks like from here.  When I have lost weight in the past, I have gotten to my goal and then, for the most part, stopped dieting, only to soon gain back the weight (and then some...).  

I feel ya!

So, a couple months ago, when I was down about half way, I started reading about maintenance and how to keep the weight off.  I really like Dr. Barbara Berkeley, a doctor who has worked with obese patients for the last 20 years, and what she says about maintaining - that it is much harder than losing...  I don't believe that I can eat the same as someone who has never gained weight and keep my weight off.  I believe that something in my body has gone haywire, and if I eat like someone whose body has not betrayed them, I will just gain weight like I did before...  The sad fact is, some people never seem to gain weight no matter what they eat, and some people seem to gain weight just by smelling cookies.  I am one of the latter...  It's sad but true.  

Thank you! I'll read these articles!

Here are a couple of my favorite articles by Dr. Berkeley:

Are You an Easy Keeper?  http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/12/are-you-an-easy-keeper-weight-after-menopause-and-before.html

Go to your Battle Stations: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/02/successful-weight-loss-stop-celebrating-and-go-to-battle-stations.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!!  

• Like 1

I'm 49 and have been at the low end of the BMI index all my life (5'7" and 130 lbs), I state this as I'm not sure how you determine "ideal weight."  I've been physically active all my life; swimming, running, cycling, training martial arts and lately playing tennis.  I don't eat a lot of junk food, though I'll eat salty snacks as I've got low blood pressure and sometimes need a boost. I don't drink any soda and very little alcohol. I eat a little chocolate most days. I eat healthy, home-cooked meals, and rarely eat out. I never diet. I'll snack during the day if I need to, though I minimize my eating in the evening. In the winter I tend to be a little more sedentary and my weight usually goes up about 5 pounds, and every spring it goes back down as I'm a lot more physically active.

There is family history of thyroid issues and vitamin B12, so I keep on top of these things by regular visits to the doctor. So far, so good.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I can't eat much at one sitting since I was a toddler because I feel too bloated. I eat lots at buffet but that is over 2hrs and with lots of tea. My whole family tends to eat lots of small meals instead of three big ones. My hubby and I are about the same weight now as when we were in high school.

I am mostly sedentry and the only exercise I do at home are typical warming up exercises like stretches.

With the amount of sitting I do, I think it is really the small portions and having to stretch when bloated that helps. I don't count calories but it is easily less than 1000 calories per day. I can't eat much carbohydrates so my diet is mainly nuts, dairy and fish.

My parents and FIL are sedentary as well but don't eat much either because they feel full. MIL watch her diet as she tend to gain weight and she tend to heap her plate.

• Like 1

I don't eat a lot. I have a latte for breakfast in the morning, and then I'm generally not hungry again till lunch. Occasionally I'll have oatmeal. Lunch might be leftovers, or a hard boiled egg with cheese and fruit, or a smoothie and some almonds... I eat a good-sized dinner, usually a small amount of meat, lots of veggies, and some sort of starch (I'm GF so rice, potatoes, a piece of GF toast, etc.). If I have dessert it's homemade ice cream or some chocolate.

I drink whole, raw milk; we cook with a mix of butter, coconut oil, and olive oil. We put olive oil on our veggies and our pasta. We don't eat factory-farmed meat. We don't generally have junk food or treats in the house.

I don't think much about calories, or about food in general, really. There have been days where I have realized at 3pm that I haven't eaten yet. It's a good thing I have a DH who cooks and feeds me.

• Like 1

I have good genes. LOL

I'm moderately active, sitting for no longer than 20 minute blocks. I've maintained a similar style diet my whole life: whole foods, most sweets are homemade, and real ingredients. I don't get all compulsive about what I buy, but I try to purchase mostly main ingredients and few boxed foods. They hide sugar and salt in them, which annoys me. I like to taste the ingredients, not feel tricked. I don't drink much besides water, unsweetened tea, and coffee. Sodas are a rarity.

The easiest part is dh loves to cook, and does it well. Portions are near actual guidelines, and we stretch meals because it takes the brain a while to feel full.

But, it comes down to I think a lot of things beyond my control. Good genes, a proper diet as a child where nearly everything was homemade, and a lifetime of maintaining basic exercise. Our bodies continue down paths that are set. I don't do anything different than I've always done.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

I'm 52, 5'4 and around 125.  I was closer to 110 in college but I feel OK where I am.  Active, though not as much as when I was in college or as some women I know.

When I was young, I could eat whatever I wanted.  I was active, but I ate a LOT.

Now.... (still not done with menopause, SIGH),

I know this won't be a lot of help, but I just read an article about this last month. It might have been NY Times health section? Anyway, it was a study of people who had not been overweight and had maintained a healthy consistent weight for their adult lives, excepting pregnancy, of course.  And the secret seemed to be....... they don't eat that much. That was it. They are conscious of portion size and if they have a special meal one day, they cut out treats for the next couple days....

... I would say that's pretty much it, for me and other women my age I know who've more or less stayed more or less close to where we've wanted to be throughout.  I don't count calories (or carbs or fat or anything else), but I also don't eat big portions or seconds or snacks, and generally stick more or less to unprocessed, and only eat dessert on Sabbath.

It was a drag when I first worked out that I had to dial it back, but truly, you get used to it.  I eat whatever I want, just not very much of it.

• Like 3

With the amount of sitting I do, I think it is really the small portions and having to stretch when bloated that helps. I don't count calories but it is easily less than 1000 calories per day. I can't eat much carbohydrates so my diet is mainly nuts, dairy and fish.

I think that's about what I need, as well, based on my weight trends.

It's disheartening that an  80 lbs weight gain over 12 years computes to only 60 or so extra calories a day. It's so EASY to eat 60 more calories than one needs...especially when one loves food. :)

• Like 3

I'm 52, 5'4 and around 125.  I was closer to 110 in college but I feel OK where I am.  Active, though not as much as when I was in college or as some women I know.

When I was young, I could eat whatever I wanted.  I was active, but I ate a LOT.

Now.... (still not done with menopause, SIGH),

... I would say that's pretty much it, for me and other women my age I know who've more or less stayed more or less close to where we've wanted to be throughout.  I don't count calories (or carbs or fat or anything else), but I also don't eat big portions or seconds or snacks, and generally stick more or less to unprocessed, and only eat dessert on Sabbath.

It was a drag when I first worked out that I had to dial it back, but truly, you get used to it.  I eat whatever I want, just not very much of it.

You look fantastic - assuming that's you in your profile pic. :)

• Like 1

I haven't hit menopause yet.

I hate exercising soooo much, and may have to do it anyway at that point. Right now, I have stayed within a ten pound range (apart from pregnancy) for many years. I was pudgy in high school, but I think food became less emotional/comforting when I got older.

I am not a big sweets eater. I like my coffee black and don't drink soda much. I eat eggs and toast or oatmeall with an egg beat into it most morning. But sometimes I skip.

Sometimes I eat lunch, other times a protein bar. Now that I am working, I eat fast food at lunch a couple of times a week.

I have a beer or glass of wine and then a pretty solid dinner - meat, vegetables, bread or rice.

I definitely don't eat enough some days, but I am a late night snacker. Often I eat toast before bed. Or yogurt.

No one should emulate my eating habits. I know carbs aren't great and more vegetables would be better. But I do eat what I want, and I am on the slender side. I just don't want as much sweet junk as many people. I don't really care about cake/candy/cookies. I don't like feeling stuffed, but I don't like snacking either. My preference is to eat more at meals so I won't think about food later. But as I have said, I do skip meals and don't always notice until later.

• Like 1

I have a child who tends to carry weight and another who takes after me. When he crept up in the weight charts, I started doing research and found that physical activity is probably not the way to lose weight. It's important for health, but it's calories in that move the scale. Have you looked into intermittent fasting type programs to try to knock you out of the stuck point?

I have family members, including sisters, who have always struggled with their weight. One sister, who has had some longish term success with weight watchers as an aside, has told me that she has to be always hungry to maintain her weight. I don't struggle, and I'm not careful like she is. I am certain it's genetic/hard wired in the gut or whatever. I am pretty certain that I am less healthy than her, mainly because I am largely sedentary, and will probably suffer more health problems as a result.

One thing I do, though, is keep junk food out of my house. I don't have good self control with food, and if it's not here I don't eat it. So the options in my house aren't sugar heavy or particularly snack food type stuff. As I've gotten older I've found that eating a lot of sugar makes me crave it for a while afterward, so I limit it day to day here.

I probably also don't eat much compared to other people. I had included a few days food here, but thought better of giving that kind of detail. I think I take in fewer calories than most people day in and out. I generally eat one bigger meal (dinner), and then two or sometimes three snack type meals that consist on things like peanut butter on a spoon, yogurt, a piece of fruit, etc. I eat protein in every meal, and try to have the protein part of the meal first.

When I go out with friends or get together with family, I eat whatever I want. I am pretty aware though, and tend to try to eat carefully for a few days to balance it out. I didn't used to worry about that, but I did gain about 10 pounds in my late 30's early 40's that has stuck. I'm ok with that, but I became more aware of balance because it's clear my metabolism is slower. I haven't gained any thing more in the last couple of years when I became more aware.

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 3

I am nearly 50 (eek!), 5'9" and 125. I come from a tall slender line of folks, so this is a healthy and comfortable weight for me, though throughout my pregnancy years, my weight was usually between 130-140 between pregnancies, possibly because I was nursing.

I've maintained my weight easily most of my life, with the exception of the couple years when (I now know) my thyroid was tanking. I gained 15-20 pounds, I think. I didn't own a scale. Once I went on thyroid medication, my weight dropped very quickly; after a year, my appetite and weight stabilized, and I am now the same weight I was through my teens and twenties, without much effort on my part.

I am moderately active. We bike or walk to get places when the weather is nice, we hike for fun, I run up and down the stairs all day long doing laundry :D , I garden. Ds and I go for a short clear-our-heads walk in the mornings before breakfast. We eat mostly home cooked meals, with local or homegrown veggies, but we don't count calories or limit intake or avoid carbs. I don't think I eat very much though; I get too full.

I agree with HomeAgain that some of it is just "good genes." My father's side of the family is tall and slender. I have two boys who are tall and slender, and one who is tall and not slender, despite eating the same diet and engaging in the same level of physical activity. I also spent an active childhood eating a healthy diet (raised much of our own meat and many vegetables, very little processed or junk food). I do believe that set my body up for a healthy weight in adulthood. Not sure if it set me up for good habits, as I eat much the same as I did when I was growing up and stay moderately active, or if my childhood diet and activity and genetics set up my metabolism so that I am able to maintain my weight more easily....maybe both???

• Like 1

I'm 48, 5' 3 1/2 and weigh 119. I feel best around 115 (like the way my clothes fit, my overall appearance, etc.) but I don't think 119 is overweight for me.

The most I've ever weighed outside of pregnancy is about 130, but I have to really go a long time without be remotely careful to get to that point.

As a rule, I eat plenty. I do tend toward healthier choices most of the time, and I limit excess sugar as much as I can, but I don't count calories, and I consume pretty large quantities a lot of the time.

I do not exercise, though I am fairly active outdoors with animals, yard work, etc., and trying to keep up with the grandkids.

• Like 1

I turn 40 in October. I am about 130 lbs right now and when I met DH I was at 115#. I maintained that through most of my marriage but have had to gain weight at different times and doctors tell me I should be at this weight not at that. So here I am. I would be Moderate in exercise. 

I have always went by the adage of "if you are not hungry, don't eat". If you go to the fridge and can't find anything that looks good despite it being full of food, don't eat. I don't limit my calories at all. When I have had to count calories in my life, I end up loosing weight (yeah this happened several times in my life). 

What food looks like for me. Well today I had frosted shredded wheat with milk (one normal size bowl) for breakfast. I then had a swim class with my 2 year old and for lunch I had a bowl of a pasta salad with mozzarella and chicken in it. Now we are having left overs for dinner, beans and beef and rice. If you are looking at my siggy, we are still somewhat paleo but not as strict as I can loose weight on it if I am not careful. 

When dishing out something for myself to eat, I typically get a deck of cards portion of meat, and then honestly I don't limit myself on sides, but we typically have lots of veggies for sides. 

However having said all of this, I am a firm believer that what works for one person probably wouldn't work for 50 - 100 of their friends. We are all different and have different needs. DH needs more protein in the morning. If I give him pancakes for breakfast, he will need more faster then I would. So he needs to eat eggs and bacon rather then pancakes. So it is important for you to find the combination that works for you!

• Like 2

This helps remind me what I need to aim at, and what is a balanced approach to the whole fitness thing.  I apologize, but there might be some language on the page.  http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

My BMI is 21.8, I'm 5'2" and 119# right now (it fluctuates between 114 and 120).  However, I do lack the muscle tone I'd like, and I definitely have a squishy floppy tummy from my three pregnancies.  I am fairly sedentary, but am trying to change that so I can help my heart, lungs, and poor abs (with Moms Into Fitness Postnatal Boot Camp--it requires little space and virtually no equipment and is short).  But as far as weight goes right now, I just don't eat much.  I think it's around 1200 or fewer calories per day, but I don't count calories and don't intend to eat so little; it just happens.  I read at breakfast and that usually means not eating much of it.  I also don't keep junk food or soda in the house, and the only snack foods we keep on hand are pita chips and popcorn.  I will also sometimes make muffins for our mid-morning snack.  Dessert doesn't happen around here much, either.  And we only eat out once or twice a month.  Those are the highlights, I guess. 

But I have to emphasize that low scale numbers does not mean I'm healthy.  I'm a "good" weight, but my cardiovascular health is garbage and my muscle tone is pretty garbage too.  So in my book, those are more important than what the scale says, and I'm really not in a great position there.

ETA: the no dessert or junk food thing is not born of health consciousness but of a pretty sizeable lack of self control.  DH brought donuts home the other day and I ate three almost immediately!  The general junk food/soda/dining out ban started because we were broke for several years and didn't want to be on food stamps; there was a lot we didn't buy.  It's just become a habit now.  I don't want to sound like I have a plan or anything.  :D

Edited by CES2005
  • Like 3

LOL!!  THANK you!  :P  I like honesty.  

• Like 2

I'm 5'5, mid 30s, about 140 lbs and have had a thyroid condition(hypo) almost all my life. I walk 5'ish kms or do yoga and drink over 3 litres of water a day.

What works in my favour for weight control: good genes, favour movement over sitting, prefer savoury over sweet, prefer smaller portions over large, not picky about my vegetables.

But, I do tend to gain weight, albeit slowly and evenly: when I snack on the couch while watching t.v or eat too many simple carbohydrates (bread, white rice). Once I get back to mindful eating, my weight goes back to where it was.

ETA: fixed typo

ETA: @ChrisB- I'm a fairly light sleeper who functions best on 6-7 hrs of sleep in 24 hrs. More than 7 hrs makes me groggy. 

Edited by ebunny
  • Like 1

I'm 44 and within 6kg of my 'pre-baby' body weight, currently 64kg. I've never been more than 10 kg (22lbs) over the pre-baby "ideal" (which was 58kg and unlikely to be seen again!)

As a family we generally make good food choices and have improved these over time: we don't (usually) drink sugary drinks, eat deep fried food, eat dessert or eat much meat. We eat small portions, usually skip cakes or pastries if we head out for coffee, don't generally snack between meals, have a nightly treat of one or two squares of chocolate (but seldom eat chocolate apart from that), and have upped our vegetable consumption and reduced bread, rice and pasta over time.

Dh is very good about exercise, but likes to have treats like a drink or extra chocolates when he wants to. I do a lot less exercise, but am ok with limiting myself on treats. Both our approaches work. I try to walk at least twice a week for 45 minutes with various friends, and we have been trying to walk on the beach with the kids once on the weekend. And, for the first time ever, I've recently added a twice week exercise class.

All this has definitely been a progression for us: as we've grown older we've grown a little wiser, but we've also had to consciously improve how we eat in order to maintain the same weight. There's no doubt we're seeing our metabolism slow as we age! At the moment I'm trying to get my weight a little lower, and yes, it's difficult without adding regular exercise and cutting food intake to 1200 cal per day.

Edited by nd293
  • Like 1

When I used My Fitness Pal they wouldn't advise any woman to eat less than 1200 cal/day. I don't know what 1000 looks like with the right kinds of foods, but I would worry about it not being enough for the average person. I'm sure water would be a main source of liquid as that wouldn't hurt the calorie count and would probably curb hunger.

While I was using the program I was permitted to eat 1200 a day and it felt like very little (of course I probably wasn't eating enough veggies and such). And it averaged out to less than a pound lost a week if I followed the formula! So it was very discouraging. Just throwing that out there to say it may be a very slow process to get or maintain a certain weight. My guess is metabolism has a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

I focus on nourishing my body. If certain foods don't make me feel energized and healthy, then I don't eat them. I cut hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup a long time ago. Recently I had to drop dairy because, even though I crave it like crazy, it makes me miserable. I avoid gluten for the most part, but not completely. If something has more than about 5 grams of sugar (excluding fruit), I can't eat it because it makes me feel awful. I noticed that the cleaner I eat, the better I feel, the less I crave sugar, and the easier it is to maintain my weight. Dairy was so hard to give up. It was my comfort food! I've had to find new ways to deal with stress since I can't turn to food. Identifying and limiting emotional eating really helps when trying to maintain weight. I do eat really dark chocolate, and that helps give me a boost.

I actually have a harder time maintaining weight when I'm really active (mostly walking, biking, or hiking) because I get so hungry, and I'm building muscle! I just try to be smart about what I eat and focus on eating protein, fats, and veggies. I eat things like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, coconut oil, olive oil, salad, beets, avocado, beans, quinoa, soup, nut butter, celery, apples, broccoli, mushrooms, pumpkin seeds, and lentils. The key is finding the foods that make your body feel nourished. When you eat high-quality food, you don't need to eat as much as when you eat junk food. I don't count calories, but I weigh myself almost every day just to keep tabs. If I go up a little, I adjust my eating or exercise a little more. I like my current weight and have maintained it for a long time.

Also, hormonal issues really can affect your weight and hunger. Sometimes I feel the ravishing hunger that I associate with pregnancy, but if I were to eat like I was pregnant, I would have a problem! Drinking a lot of water is helpful. It's common to feel hungry when you're really just thirsty. My body really changed when I turned 35. Even though I ate pretty healthy before that, I had to take it to a whole new level in order to find my energy again and to control my weight.

Edited by 6wildhorses
  • Like 2

FWIW --

I'm 4'10", 53 yo and hypothyroid.  Since being diagnosed and medicated for the thyroid issue and losing the weight that came with that I've hovered right around 110, which is two pounds more than I weighed when DH and I got married 26 years ago.  My daily maintenance calories (TDEE) per my Fitbit average right around 1650, which I believe is totally accurate.  I move a lot during the day, averaging 4 to 5 miles of total walking.  I try to walk at least 30 minutes per day at a fitness pace.  I was doing some weights three times a week but haven't done that in the past month or so due to a house move.  With more movement--like the very heavy cleaning I was doing before we moved, a super long hike, etc. I can boost my TDEE into the 1800-2000 range.  But that amount of movement isn't sustainable for me on a daily basis.

I generally have a slice of cheese toast for breakfast.  Lunch is a huge salad (lots of veggies, three ounces of chicken), usually with a weighed one ounce portion of Wheat Thins or pretzels or some other salty, crunchy thing like that, and an ounce of cheese.  Dinner varies a lot--I eat whatever I fix for DH and DS, just have a smaller portion that keeps my daily calories within my TDEE.

I drink lots of coffee throughout the day.  It satisfies my appetite and the hand-to-mouth urge.

I do tend to get lots of snack cravings, but my cravings are always for salty stuff and I try (but don't always succeed) to make myself weigh out portions before eating so that I'm aware of how much I'm consuming.

I have almost no sweet tooth whatsoever.  Maybe a couple of times a year I'll want something sweet.  Most often that's a little bit of ice cream in the summer.

We almost always go out to eat twice a week (dinner on weekends).  At those times I eat whatever I want, and however much I want.  I do try to eat slightly below my TDEE during the week so that I have some calories banked for those meals.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I'm not sure I qualify but if this isn't helpful throw it out. I do think each person's body and life and preferences are different. Oh, and I am 53 and not yet menopausal Ă°Å¸Ëœ. I was a pretty normal weight through college but that crept up after 7 babies. I found myself 49 and 40 pounds too heavy. I made an effort to eat healthily and began increasing my exercise and activity. It started out walking and yoga and increased to include running and biking. I have kept the weight off for four years. I ate/eat in the No S pattern (no seconds, no sweets, no snacks). Weight loss probably was easier than maintenance at first. Now it is habit.

My usual pattern is to get up and drink a ton of coffee Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°, then I run, elliptical or yoga. In summer I might take a bike ride. This varies between 30-60 minutes depending on how I feel. If I have breakfast it is usually a couple eggs with veggies or salsa. I like lunch so I will usually have a salad, veg and leftovers or soup and sandwich and occasionally a piece of dark chocolate. Dinner is another salad, veg and small piece of meat. If I make bread I will eat a piece because...fresh bread, otherwise I usually skip the rice, quinoa, pasta, etc. I make for the skinny kids. My weekends aren't too different except I might add a nice dinner out with dessert or wine. This isn't set in stone though. Yesterday I skipped breakfast, had a large lunch and margarita with dh and just had fruit, almond milk and and spinach smoothie for dinner.

• Like 1

*Raises hand* 

I can still wear my pre-kid jeans,although they are tighter than I'd like right now. I've been around the same weight my adult life except (1) I went on depo at 19- gained 25-30 lbs ish(not sure I didn't weigh before)- I took a year to lose 20 lbs and then lost another 5+ over the next year or so and (2)after this last baby when I developed Hashimotos(or rather was finally diagnosed). I lost my baby weight by 9 mo. but then gained back 20 over the course of a couple of months. Was diagnosed w/ hashi's and went on meds and lost it back, although my thyroid tanked again and I put a few back on- still working on lining that back out at the moment. I've never had to lose weight again after a baby but this last baby did a number on my thyroid and hormones. 

Food-

I eat plenty. My body doesn't tolerate starvation well and needs a good amount of calories just to maintain. I eat real (unprocessed) food. I've never, ever been a soda drinker(or sweet tea or anything else like that). I like vegetables a whole lot. I very, very rarely stuff myself to the point of being overly full, even if it is a holiday or special occasion. I eat until I'm just full. I don't do mindless snacking while watching tv, we just don't watch a lot anyway and I don't snack at night. *If* I feel like just eating for the sake of it I'll grab some fruit or veggies and let myself eat all I want. 

Movement-

I'm very active, when I feel well I avg 1hr+ of intense activity daily, plus another hr of moderate movement along with day to day activity. I just like the way it feels to move my body. I like getting stronger, having more endurance and being able to do things I couldn't before. I do yoga, aerial silks, bodyweight work(push-ups,pull-ups), running, biking, hiking etc and anything else that comes up and sounds fun(love rock climbing when I get a chance).

• Like 1

I'm over 40 and have maintained the same weight (aside from pregnancy) my entire adult life.  I am 5'7" and stay within 5lbs of 120lbs which I reached at about age 16.

I do not think it has much (if anything) to do with habits, will power, or how I was parented.  

I eat more than I think most adults do.  I am vegetarian and eat mostly whole, organic foods.  I sit down for three meals a day and typically at least one additional snack....often in the evening.  I do like my treats but am more likely to crave cheese, fries, and crackers rather than sweets.  I like the occasional cookie or chocolate but almost always turn down dessert or break room treats because I really have to be in the mood to want anything sweet.  I eat until I am full and rarely fret about diet other than trying to be balanced.

I never drink soda or juice.  But I do have 2-3 servings of beer/wine on most days.

I am very active.  Unless ill or injured, I run/bike/swim/ski at least one hour, five times a week.  This seems to have almost no effect on my weight.  In fact, when I am training for something, I typically gain a pound or two.  Not sure why.  There have been eras in my life where I have not been active at all and that did not effect my weight.  My shape does change based on activity.  One thing I have noticed is that I have always been restless.  I do not go to movies because I cannot sit still through them.  I was the kid always tapping my pen/foot/whatever in class.  I used to power walk between classes as a kid and even into college to get it out of my system.  I can walk/hike for hours and hours without thought.  I have often wondered if that is a factor.

• Like 2

This is a very interesting thread for me!  OP, I'm hoping I can insert something... I'm very curious to know...If anyone would like to respond (maybe an ETA to your original post?), I'd like to also know if amount of sleep affects your weight.  So, do you get a regular 8ish hours of sleep, and if so, are you earlier to bed and earlier to rise, or not?

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 2

This is a very interesting thread for me!  OP, I'm hoping I can insert something... I'm very curious to know...If anyone would like respond (maybe an ETA to your original post?), I'd like to also know if amount of sleep affects your weight.  So, do you get a regular 8ish hours of sleep, and if so, are you earlier to bed and earlier to rise, or not?

I do not know whether the amount of sleep affects my weight, becasue I don't tolerate lack of sleep.

Yes, I get 8 hours almost every night and feel best with 9. I usually go to be by 10pm and am up between 6 and 6:30am.

• Like 1

I'm a fine weight now.  Well, actually, I don't weigh myself, but I like the way things fit right now.   (One reason I don't weigh myself is because weight is a function of so many things like bone density, muscle mass, hydration -- I just don't see the point.)  I'm in the healthy range for women with my frame  according to the charts.

I used to be very slender/skinny (underweight according to the charts).  Now I'm not.  People no longer ask if I have an eating disorder :001_rolleyes:  

My family all tends to be small.

I eat in a way that would horrify fans of the current theories of healthy eating.  I love butter; I always choose full fat products over low fat.  I love sugar.  I gave up hydrogenated fats and corn syrup decades ago, though.

I'm moderately active.  I used to "exercise", but any more I'm a fan of Katy Bowman.  I walk as much as possible, and generally try to move as much as possible each day.  

I REALLY like to get enough sleep, as ChrisB alluded to above.  I think it's incredibly important for maintaining a healthy metabolism.  I don't often get 8 hours, though, so I nap.

Cutting calories and excessive exercise are great ways to reduce metabolism and suppress immunity ... which tend to lower as we age anyway. 

One of the most interesting books I've read on diet is The Schwarzbein Principle (or maybe it was the second one she wrote) because she discussed that when she was young she ate all sorts of sugary junk and was very skinny; when she decided to eat a balanced, nutritious diet she gained a huge amount of weight.  I also think Ray Peat is interesting.

• Like 1

I have eaten fast food every day since I was a young child. My total caloric intake, however, is 1500 calories/day. I never deviate from that. I have never been heavy. I also work out roughly 30 minutes a day for over 35 years.

• Like 1

I'm a fine weight now.  Well, actually, I don't weigh myself, but I like the way things fit right now.   (One reason I don't weigh myself is because weight is a function of so many things like bone density, muscle mass, hydration -- I just don't see the point.)  I'm in the healthy range for women with my frame  according to the charts.

I used to be very slender/skinny (underweight according to the charts).  Now I'm not.  People no longer ask if I have an eating disorder :001_rolleyes:  

My family all tends to be small.

I eat in a way that would horrify fans of the current theories of healthy eating.  I love butter; I always choose full fat products over low fat.  I love sugar.  I gave up hydrogenated fats and corn syrup decades ago, though.

I'm moderately active.  I used to "exercise", but any more I'm a fan of Katy Bowman.  I walk as much as possible, and generally try to move as much as possible each day.  

I REALLY like to get enough sleep, as ChrisB alluded to above.  I think it's incredibly important for maintaining a healthy metabolism.  I don't often get 8 hours, though, so I nap.

Cutting calories and excessive exercise are great ways to reduce metabolism and suppress immunity ... which tend to lower as we age anyway. 

One of the most interesting books I've read on diet is The Schwarzbein Principle (or maybe it was the second one she wrote) because she discussed that when she was young she ate all sorts of sugary junk and was very skinny; when she decided to eat a balanced, nutritious diet she gained a huge amount of weight.  I also think Ray Peat is interesting.

I'm a fan of Katy Bowman too :) although I still enjoy some traditional exercise I don't do it because I feel I have to but because I enjoy it. We do a whole lot of walking/hiking. I push myself (when well) in a lot different ways then I used to, I don't have the desire for HIIT or other high impact stuff at all. Silks is body strength and a way to have beauty and grace in my life, yoga makes my body feel good, biking and kayaking and such are just fun. BUT so is crawling around with the kids and all sorts of other things.

Sleep is very, very, very important to me. Unfortunately it has been an issue since this last baby and my thyroid/hormone issues. I take naps when I need to but it isn't enough when my sleep is very bad. I do everything possible to get as much as I can. I most certainly see a correlation w/ weight, although it is hard to say what causes what, I don't sleep well when my thyroid goes wonky, then I eat more because my body is craving energy- without addressing the cause of the sleep issues there is no help for it, just coping. I have friends that will talk about staying up late - I can't fathom that- I don't cut my sleep unless for a very, very good reason.

• Like 3

My weight is relatively unchanged. 

I'm 5'5" tall and weighed 110 pounds until my third child was born. I gained over 50 pounds and my weight went down to 125 after that pregnancy and has stayed there. When I was 110 pounds (very small boned) I was healthy and weight didn't fluctuate. 

Prior to age 40, I had a blazing fast metabolism. No matter how much or how little I ate, I would be hungry 4 hours later. In fact, I would be light-headed until I ate around that four hour mark. Around age 40, I could skip meals and now don't get light-headed much anymore. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted with regard to carbs and sweets and my weight wouldn't change. Honestly, my overall caloric intake was probably less than a lot of people's overall as I ate smaller portion-sized meals most days. I've always been a picky eater and don't eat a wide variety of foods. I'm content with the same choices. 

After age 40, weight started creeping up. All my clothes are the same size, and I didn't like the way they were fitting. I learned by trial and error that when I cut down on gluten-containing foods, I can manage my weight better. It allows me to eat more of the other things I want--desserts/sweets. So, I'll skip a dinner roll or eat a hamburger without the bun. I don't feel this is a sacrifice. So, I eat gluten, but when I cut way back on it, i can have other carbs I desire more. If I had to go without some candy each week, that is a sacrifice to me. Terrible sweet tooth! So, I can't eat whatever I want anymore, but I can balance what I eat and don't gain. So, if I know I'm going out to eat in the evening, I'll have something light for lunch. (I tend to skip breakfast.) I might eat a yogurt or a salad with vinaigrette dressing for lunch. I never feel deprived because I'm still getting my 900 calorie meal, but I've only eaten 200 calories earlier in the day. A nutritionist would judge me, but it works. I don't gain; I feel energetic; and I'm healthy.

I will say I weigh myself every day now. When I see my weight creep up 2-3 pounds, I cut way back on the gluten. My weight goes back down to the 125 mark. For me, weighing daily has been a key for me to keep track of how much I need to adjust my eating. 

I jog 45 minutes 3 days/week.

I would say my weight is due 90% to genetics. I'm also not too food-oriented--I can skip meals (now that I don't get light headed anymore) and don't care if I'm hungry. If something comes up and I don't eat until 2pm, I doesn't bother me. My picky eating has helped me, too, I think. I could eat Greek yogurt for lunch 5 days/week and not care. My mom never made a big deal out of food when I was young which really helped me, I think. I think I could've had food issues and possibly an eating disorder if my mom had forced the Clean Plate Club on me. I have put effort forth in my 40s to eat better and more balanced. Exercise has helped my energy levels overall. 

I do not pat myself on the back and consider myself to have amazing will power. I know I've found a few tricks that work for me that wouldn't work for everyone.  Even though I've always been thin, I've seen first hand people struggling with their weight and have enormous sympathy.

Edited by Lisa R.
  • Like 1

I'm 5'5, mid 30s, about 140 lbs and have had a thyroid condition(hypo) almost all my life. I walk 5'ish kms or do yoga and drink over 3 litres of water a day.

What works in my favour for weight control: good genes, favour movement over sitting, prefer savoury over sweet, prefer smaller portions over large, not picky about my vegetables.

But, I do tend to gain weight, albeit slowly and evenly: when I snack on the couch while watching t.v or eat too many simple carbohydrates (bread, white rice). Once I get back to mindful eating, my weight goes back to where it was.

ETA: fixed typo

This is me-but I'm late 40s and don't have a thyroid condition.
  • Like 1

I'm a fan of Katy Bowman too :) although I still enjoy some traditional exercise I don't do it because I feel I have to but because I enjoy it. We do a whole lot of walking/hiking. I push myself (when well) in a lot different ways then I used to, I don't have the desire for HIIT or other high impact stuff at all. Silks is body strength and a way to have beauty and grace in my life, yoga makes my body feel good, biking and kayaking and such are just fun. BUT so is crawling around with the kids and all sorts of other things.

Sleep is very, very, very important to me. Unfortunately it has been an issue since this last baby and my thyroid/hormone issues. I take naps when I need to but it isn't enough when my sleep is very bad. I do everything possible to get as much as I can. I most certainly see a correlation w/ weight, although it is hard to say what causes what, I don't sleep well when my thyroid goes wonky, then I eat more because my body is craving energy- without addressing the cause of the sleep issues there is no help for it, just coping. I have friends that will talk about staying up late - I can't fathom that- I don't cut my sleep unless for a very, very good reason.

I had the exact same experience when my thyroid went wonky -- I could NOT get a good night's sleep, despite having excellent "sleep hygiene."  Sometimes I'd nap during the day, but it never seemed to help.  I was so very tired (both from not sleeping and from the underlying thyroid issue) that I'm positive I tended to eat more in an attempt to compensate.  Once my thyroid was stabilized on medication my good sleep returned.  I average somewhere between 7.5 and 8 hours a night.  I'm an early to bed, early to rise person.  I'm almost always asleep by 9:30 and up by 5:00 on weekdays.  Sometimes on weekends I sleep in until closer to 6:00.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I've been blessed with a well-tuned hunger mechanism. (Conversely, my thirst mechanism is crap and I get dehydrated if I listen to that.) I also feel no social pressure to eat when I'm not hungry. I hate breakfast, and start my day with a cup of tea. My big meal is lunch. Dinner is lighter. I'm a slooooooooooow eater. It's nothing for us to be at the table for 1-2 hours. More like 3-4 with company.

Now that I'm 44, I'm much less hungry than I've ever been. I had Chipotle for lunch. That's it for the day. It was plenty to get me through the day. I may get hungry in a few hours and make some air-popped popcorn, but maybe not. I've ALWAYS been active and spend 8-10 hours a week in a dance studio. Recently I've added gardening, so that's some extra putzing around the yard.

I LOVE food. I've always loved veggies and grew up with massive gardens and seasonal eating. The older I get the lower my tolerance is for crap food. I like a very wide variety of foods. I know I said I hate breakfast . . . I love those foods, just not before 11 a.m. I do "bad" things like cook saving bacon grease to make gravy or fry potatoes, but I consider that real food and better for you than a can of diet soda.

Now, I am getting older and my metabolism IS slowing down. Whose to say I won't be overweight in my fifties? So far, I've had a good run and continue to expose my midriff when dancing in public (even though it's imperfect and doesn't look twenty).

ETA: My super power is my ability to sleep. I'm an excellent sleeper and I think it helps your overall health a great deal.

Another Edit: Feeling hungry doesn't freak me out. I notice it, but I'm not terribly bothered by it and I've never been in a panic to prevent that feeling. I address it eventually or I get woozy, but I'm not afraid to feel it. I think it's good to be in tune with your body and understand there are varying degrees of hunger. A little bit makes your food taste better!

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

I'd like to also know if amount of sleep affects your weight. So, do you get a regular 8ish hours of sleep, and if so, are you earlier to bed and earlier to rise, or not?

I sleep at around 1am as both hubby and DS11 are night owls and I have been an insomniac since young. I wake up by 7am (usually 6am) and sleep in on Sundays. So average of 6 to 7 hours per day.

Lack of sleep lower my appetite and make me eat more nuts and drink more coffee than usual. My kids read an article that says sleep is essential to lose weight. So far I have yet to gain weight from long periods of lack of sleep.

ETA:

My mom had an operation for thyroid issues when I was in elementary school. She was underweight most of her life and is now around 110lbs and 5'2" in her 70s. She is a light sleeper and insomniac.

When she stayed here, her weight drop to 100lbs because she does not take much carbohydrates just like me and seafood is costly here.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Oh, man, I've been going back and forth on trying silks!  Dd took a class last summer, and wants to again this year.  They haven't posted the schedule yet, though, so I don't know if there's a class for moms-who-don't-normally-do-this-but-decided-to-givei-it-a-shot-and-are-likely-to-be-really-awkward.

I used to do X number of minutes of exercise (weight lifting, calisthenics, stationary bike) in a gym setting Y number of times per week.  I love Katy's idea of integrating movement into your life instead of having it totally separate all of the time -- it was really eye-opening for me.  So now I walk 2 miles to the grocery store and carry the groceries back, stacking the activity of grocery shopping with the activity of walking outdoors.  And I also enjoy doing yoga, and even some weight lifting, just because I enjoy them.  But now there's more ... joy.  Because I'm just thinking about how I want to move around instead of thinking about, "gotta go to the gym now."

• Like 2

I believe that it is entirely genetics for me. I was a small baby, child, teen, and adult. My appetite is low and a low hunger drive runs in my family, but I like to eat. I stayed within 5lbs of my normal weight from the time I was 14 until about 3-4 years ago (early 30s). Then, I developed a thyroid disorder and gained about 5lbs which was honestly disturbing because that had never happened, and since my weight was low, it was a significant % change. I started thyroid meds about 6mos ago and haven't gained anymore weight but haven't lost any either. It seems that my new normal will be about 5lbs higher than it used to be, which is ok. 

I used to exercise regularly and it had little effect on my weight. I worked hard too- I lifted heavy and tried to eat a ton of protein because I wanted to gain muscle. I wouldn't gain or lose weight past my average. I haven't exercised regularly in 3-4 years and I haven't gained or lost either beyond the initial gain with the thyroid problem. I don't believe the weight gain is related to quitting exercising because it happened while I was still exercising and I stopped only because of thyroid related exhaustion. I just joined a new gym since I finally have some energy but I don't expect any change in my weight. I've recently become more active, but for the past several years, unfortunately, I was pretty sedentary. Although I don't see a weight change with my activity level, I feel much stronger and have more stamina when I am more active. 

My diet can vary widely based on whether I am home or not, how busy we are, and what we have. Some days I eat pretty lightly and other days I eat more. I probably average 1500 calories, but in reality it's probably more like 1000 half the time and 2000 the other half. With my low hunger drive I don't usually eat much if there's nothing exciting to eat, but I will eat a lot when I like something if I don't have to share!

IMO, and only based on myself, I think my body has a weight it wants to be and it is difficult to go too far from it in either direction without major effort. I don't know if everyone else's bodies also have weights they want to be or if that's a weird genetic thing with my family. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

I will say I weigh myself every day now. When I see my weight creep up 2-3 pounds, I cut way back on the gluten. My weight goes back down to the 125 mark. For me, weighing daily has been a key for me to keep track of how much I need to adjust my eating. 

We've been gluten-free as a family for about 10 years, but I notice that when I eat white potatoes, I get super bloated and experience symptoms much like those I've heard people experience with gluten.

I do not pat myself on the back and consider myself to have amazing will power. I know I've found a few tricks that work for me that wouldn't work for everyone.  Even though I've always been thin, I've seen first hand people struggling with their weight and have enormous sympathy.

:)

Edited by Gooblink

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not familiar with any of these people. :)