Menu

Poll... for how long are you committed to homeschooling?

For how long are you committed to homeschool?  

1. 1. For how long are you committed to homeschool?

• One school day.
    • One school year.
    • Until middle school begins.
    • Until high school begins.
    • Until high school graduation.
    • Until they have me committed.
    • Other.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too! :lol: :iagree: :001_tt2:

I also voted until they have me committed. :tongue_smilie: I am actually going through high school with the middle two. The 6th grader is in ps and the 4th grader will go next year. Of course, they will always have the option to come home if they want to but I don't really see it happening. Once I am done with the older two then I will get back to writing.

I chose through high school, but it's not written in stone. My 2nd oldest attended public high school for 1 semester; we weren't overly pleased. The standards were rather low. Private high school is financially out of the question. Things can always change, but right now if the choice were between public high school and homeschooling, we would stick with homeschooling.

Janet

We have always said one year at a time, but realistically, I don't see us stopping before graduation. I'm comitted to doing it as long as it is working best, and I would predict we will go all the way through, but I guess things could change. I know I won't put them into middle school, and I'm looking forward to homeschooling through highschool.

I guess I gave you the long answer! :001_smile:

What a timely post. I keep thinking its 1 year at a time, probably putting each in school sometime during middle school. Whoa, just recently have met 2 "well respected" high school teachers at public hs my dc would attend. I am very uncertain at this point. Both of these teachers have a dd in dance w/ my 3yr old dd. Teacher 1, teaches the advanced math courses, didn't understand concept of cost/benefit analysis. Uh???????? (long story on the discussion, but surprised me she didn't get the math involved) This teacher also has repeatedly told my dd,9 how she should be grateful dh and I adopted her, even after I have pointedly told her to stop, that is not what we believe, etc.

Then, teacher 2, is head girls bball coach at same hs. Tells my dd,9 that I have ruined her, she will never be an athlete, etc, b/c she likes to wear pink and look girlie. She was quite militant about whole thing, moms who dress their dd in pink are ruining their lives, etc. Teacher 2 knows nothing about dd, had never met her before, just shared that info w/ her. Okay... dd made coed travel hockey team (some boys didn't get a spot, only 2 girls on team, of course, we do live in a small town, talent pool isn't that big) So, hockey w/ the boys, not a real sport??? Dd also is on a swim team and is active in tennis lessons. Had to drop dance (ballet, tap and jazz, just no time) Dd just looked at teacher 2 and said "that's stupid" If girls who look "girlie" are discouraged from sports in hs, no wonder we have so many chubby kids. What the ????

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original ?, we just don't know at this time.

For some reason I've always answered people who ask how long we intend to homeschool with the "year at a time" response. That's not really true and I know it. I think I use it as an avoidance to the "what about the joys of high school?" soon following conversation. :)

I believe I was relatively open to one year at a time until we were coming up on the middle school years. Just tiny bits of info about our local middle schools told me there was absolutely no way they were attending middle school. Then I find out our local high schools have full time police on duty on campus all day. Also they've already had incidents of arresting students for having guns in their lockers, shooting threats and drugs are, apparently, rampant! No way on that one!

We love to travel and take vacations when others are at school and work, so that's my spoiled, selfish reason.

I'm more than a bit intimidated by high school but for safety reasons, I KNOW I can provide a bare minimum of an education as good as the local public and private schools. I love teaching and I love my guys so I guess there's no reason not to go ahead with the full-steam-ahead answer. :)

I just looked over at my husband and said, "Do you think there would ever be a point you'd want or consider the boys going to high school?". I barely finished the sentence before he popped out a "NO, no way, never" answer. Well, there you go!

When I was pg with one of the little ones (can't remember which) a nurse at the birth center was talking to me about homeschooling and asked me what school my dc would be going to if they went to public school. I told her the name of the high school, and she said, "Oh, it's probably better you are homeschooling. We get the majority of our pregnant teens from that school!"

And once I was chatting with a police officer about homeschooling, and he told me it was good I was doing it and to keep on. I didn't even want to know what kind of behind-the-scenes info he had!!

I've already graduated two of mine from our homeschool high school.

Now, I'm only committing to two more years of homeschooling: dd is in 11th grade this year. So.......once she graduates......I'm DONE!!!!

I originally had intended to homeschool the last 2 kiddos all way through high school completion. While looking around for chemistry lab resources, the idea of public high school came to mind. We visited the school, and girls eventually decided to give it a try. The nonconformist returned home for awhile.

The eldest attended a few years in upper elementary/jr high years at parochial and public school when I had to return to work during a family crisis. He was homeschooled/self-schooled remainder of time.

I'll homeschool each child on an "as needed" basis. My son will probably want to homeschool until he can take community college classes as a teenager, although sports might lure him to high school. My daughter may very well beg to go to school next year, for second grade. I'll do whatever is best for each individual child.

SO it IS a sickness!!:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I voted til they have me committed because I always tell my kids that it will be over my dead body before they go to school and there is my sister in law (who gets custody if I die) telling me she is cleaning the gun!! she wants my kids to have "fun and friends". She just doesn't get that I have had to say NO MORE activities, no more friends, for crying out loud one of my 17 yr olds friends is living with us right now and now I have to make a transcript for him for college along with my son.....but Ds said it was great "I always wanted an older brother" he is 18. So Chaos still reigns in the Morrison Clan!!! love it love it!!:D

We are committed until we can place dd in a school that will meet her needs. That may be community college, it may be high school. There is a high school in our area who has experience with working with kids as young as 12 and they encourage dual enrollment. We will be checking that out more closely.

Dd says now she wants to go to boarding school. There is a School of the Arts in our area that is very good. The only negative to that it and other boarding schools would not take her into high school until she was the typical age, meaning she would have to be left back a bit.

We will cross those bridges when we come to them. If they opened up an open ungraded school with a staff that understood the needs to exceptionally gifted kids, we would send her there tomorrow. If the public school were to develop a program that would work, we would consider that too.

I voted other. I have goals for longer term. But if it isn't working for one of us, then I will make a change. I just want to do what's best for us. For now, it is home schooling. At some point, if it isn't, we will go into the schools. The schools here are very good.

I am committed to home schooling for sure. But I am more committed to doing what is best for each member of this family.

I voted "other" because we are committed to hsing as long as it is the best option for our kids. I anticipate that we will continue at least until high school, and very likely through high school (perhaps outsourcing subjects that aren't my specialty, at some point). But if we were ever in an area with a really good cottage school, we might consider that option. When the children are older, if we were in an area with a truly classical, very high quality private school, we would maybe consider that, as well. Most likely we will be staying here and continuing to homeschool.

I voted other - we are definitely in it through middle school (which would start next year :eek:). I've always told family I'd take high school as it comes, mostly just to scrape them off the ceiling (though the kids have overheard this, so they know it's not completely out of the realm of possibility). The schools in my town actually have a wonderful reputation. If almost all our hsing friends send their kids to high school, I'm not sure how I'll feel about going it "on my own" - our community is one of the things I love most about hsing - the kids have lots of friends, and I have lots of support. And it's probably true what I've been told that the science classes at the high school are actually superior to the cc classes...

BUT...right now putting them in school seems to me a lot like the likelihood of sending them to the moon! And honestly reading the high school board here is making me more and more excited about all the cool stuff we can do in high school. The kids don't have any urge at all to go to school. I'd say there's a very good chance we're in it for the long haul! It'll be interesting to see where everything stands when we get to 8th grade.

I voted "one year at a time" as we are still considering the possibility of emigrating (if dh's health allows it) and it really depends on the country we end up in.

If it's an English speaking country, we'll continue homeschooling. If we move to a country with another language, we'd probably put the children in school so that they can learn to speak, read and write the language fluently and to pick up on the culture.

I voted until High School, because my experience so far IS having them go to high school because of extenuating circumstances... My committment is currently middle school homeschooling, but I am willing to change if I am persuaded to and feel it is the best option at the time for our family.

I would like to keep hsing them till graduation, but dh is thinking they should go to high school so they can get the proper diploma. Thankfully, we still have a couple of years to work this out.

Actually, while this is the ideal plan, we're all aware that life has a way of changing, and this may not be feasible (the little guy is only 4) so in that sense we've only signed on for a year at a time.

Karen

lots of boys (49, 12, 10, 5, 4)

Yes, I voted for 'until they have me committed'. There are nights that I lay down and think how in the world did I get through this day. The two little ones are enough to break you! :lol: No, really, We would like to homeschool one year at a time but I pray it will be through all their high school time. I will be very old by then. :lol:

By the way, we homeschool the younger 4.

We committed to homeschooling as long as it was in the best interest of each individual child, the parent (that would be me, as the person who shouldered about 98% of the load), and the family as a whole.

In my mind, I was convinced that homeschooling would ALWAYS be in the best interest of everyone. I was reluctant to admit it when we reached the point where that was no longer true.

Our older dd is in a local private school for 8th grade. We plan to keep her there as long as it is in the best interest of the child, the parent, and the family. :) So far, it would appear that she will graduate from this school, unless something strange happens OR the economy tanks and we can't afford it. (A very real possibility that I try to keep in mind.)

Our younger dd is still at home. Same applies -- when we see a reason to make a change, we will consider it. If the change proves to be negative, we will reverse the plan.

I always said one year at a time-- until my husband left. Then it became for as long as I could -- that was 4 yrs ago. When my mother was dieing I had no choice other than to place my daughter into school, she was in the middle of 5th grade at that time and I didn't have time to be as committed to her education as I needed to be (She is now in 7th). My son I was able to keep home. He is currently in 5th grade but this will probably be my last home schooling year.

Die hard Homeschoolers kill me. They racked me with guilt about putting my daughter in to "regular" school. I've come unto my own -- and realize that what I've given my children is an excellent head start. They are life long learners. I was able to be with my mother while she died. And I am an incredibly strong woman -- when I need to be. :D

For all those who are HS to the end. I wish you luck, and a smooth road. But please, be kind to those who have to pack it in because of life's circumstances

I always said one year at a time-- until my husband left. Then it became for as long as I could -- that was 4 yrs ago. When my mother was dieing I had no choice other than to place my daughter into school, she was in the middle of 5th grade at that time and I didn't have time to be as committed to her education as I needed to be (She is now in 7th). My son I was able to keep home. He is currently in 5th grade but this will probably be my last home schooling year.

Die hard Homeschoolers kill me. They racked me with guilt about putting my daughter in to "regular" school. I've come unto my own -- and realize that what I've given my children is an excellent head start. They are life long learners. I was able to be with my mother while she died. And I am an incredibly strong woman -- when I need to be. :D

For all those who are HS to the end. I wish you luck, and a smooth road. But please, be kind to those who have to pack it in because of life's circumstances

Liz, It makes me very sad that someone would make you feel badly for doing what is best for your family. You have a great deal to be proud of, and I'm not sure I'd have done so well in you shoes. So kudos to you for taking care of the ones who need you!

Dd says she wants to homeschool college so I don't know how long I'll be at it.

:iagree: I don't understand when people don't want their DC to graduate early because they would be too young to send off to college. Our plan is to have my DD home for at least two years of college. There are even distance programs for Master's degrees and Doctorates!

Liz, It makes me very sad that someone would make you feel badly for doing what is best for your family. You have a great deal to be proud of, and I'm not sure I'd have done so well in you shoes. So kudos to you for taking care of the ones who need you!

:iagree: :grouphug: I do know what she means though. Some people seem to think that homeschooling is the end-all and be-all of loving and parenting. Chin up and all that. It's not true. Homeschooling is not a religion last time I checked either. Though many make it seem that way. :grouphug: (But not anyone on these boards that I have noticed, really.)

I voted other. I plan to homeschool as long as it is mutually beneficial to myself and my children. If my health (either physical or mental) takes a nose dive and homeschooling is making it worse, I wouldn't hesitate to send them back. At the same time if one or more of the children would get more out of being at school than at home I would send them back. We are a 1 child 1 year at a time, I am going to do what is best for each child individually so I can not say I will homeschool right through graduation. My goal right now is to get through elementary school. While I feel homeschooling is best over all, there may come a time when it is not best for 1 or more of my children, I certainly hope that time never comes, but I am also open to it.

• 1 year later...

We plan to hs primary school (until age 11) and send our children to secondary school (post 11 until 18 when they will hopefully go on to University)....post 11 we plan to put them in a private school....but we might change our minds.....

dd 7, ds 5, dd 3.5.:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: