Menu

If you walk alot, what shoes do you wear?

Prairie~Phlox

I generally walk at least three miles a day and have been doing so for about 10 years. I have one pair of walking sandals that I wear no matter what climate we're currently in (I suppose that if we moved to a really cold place I'd have to wear something different, but I've worn them through two Utah winters). I have Keens right now, but I prefer Land's End Trekkers and I'll go back to those when my current pair wears out. That will be a long time since I wear them for at least a year and often two. All I care about in shoes is that they're comfortable and don't make my feet hot.

I have 3 pair of walking shoes.

Brooks Adrenaline

Saucony ( I don't remember the style)

and I have dd17s cast off Nikes.  We have almost identical feet. She gets a new pair every other year for PE/Running in Cheer leading. She puts 50-100 miles on them.  I take her old pair each year, since they are already broken in, and finish them off with my walking. 

I get plantar fasciitis in bad shoes, so if a pair of shoes gets worn out, I can tell immediately. I work 30-40 hours a week on my feet in pharmacy on top of normal chores/walking, so they get a lot of use in a day.  If I wear a pair of shoes and wake up the next morning with aching feet, then those shoes are tossed that day.  

ETA: one thing to remember when buying Nikes, is to pay attention to what you are buying.  There are Many different styles, and some are not very supportive.  Some are more for style than function.  I find that I am usually paying $80-100 for a decent pair of Nike shoes. Any less and they aren't going to be as supportive/functional as I need.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

I like Brooks Adrenaline. I've also liked some models of New Balance, but I can't remember the style #. My husband loves his Asics, not sure his current model.

What model of Nikes are you wearing? There are some that are geared more toward style and some geared more toward athletics. If you find Nikes comfortable, changing the model may help.

You may also want to check into the website Roadrunnersports.com. You can purchase a membership for $2 for the first year. You get free second day shipping and a minimum of 10% off but frequently 20-25% off. Good running shoes often aren't discounted so I find the membership worth it once I find a model I like.

When training for my half marathon my shoes lasted about 4 months for running, I could still wear them for other things just not running. Usually my shoes last about 6 months with regular walking and running but not training for a race. I've finally worked a second pair into rotation so I'll see if that helps but I feel 6 months is reasonable.

• Like 1

Brooks adrenaline, which are great for pronating feet. DH is flat footed and uses Brooks The Beast running shoes. If you supinate, then there's another type of Brooks shoes. If you are not sure what type feet you have, then I recommend getting fitted at a specialty running store.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

I wear Saucony Cohesion. I walk 3 miles 4-5 days a week. I get about 4 months before my feet start hurting. I buy mine at Rack Room Shoes. They usually have a buy one get one half off sale going on. At this point I don't even have to try them on anymore. I just grab my pair in whatever color combination the store has. Nike shoes have never felt good on my feet. I like Ryka but they are hard to find and usually not in my price range anyway.

Walking boots mostly  but I have also really got into Skechers Go Walks recently, they are so comfortable. I have definitely found that if you always wear the same shoes and walk a lot they do wear fast, I can go through a couple of pairs of walking boots a year even with wearing something else when it's really warm. 

I have several pair that I make sure I rotate. I also find that I need to rotate style and go between hiking boots and running shoes. I have two pair (different brands) of hiking boots and two of running shoes (currently New Balance and Asics/I am not stuck on any brand or style). Wearing the same shoe, and even type of shoe day, after day is not good for the feet. I will admit that for a few years, the only shoes I could wear were those funny five toe shoes. They took me from being barely able to walk because of arch and ankle issues to not needing them anymore (which is good because the ones they are making now don't work for me/they changed the shoe too much!). I still have an old pair that I wear sometimes, but the thread in them has rotted and they are falling apart.

Edited by Lolly

There are tons of Nike shoes, so it could just be that you need a more cushioned and/or supportive type.  :)  I no longer skimp on shoes, even for walking.  (Thank you, plantar fasciitis. lol)  I wear different kinds:  Brooks Glycerin, Asics Gel-Nimbus (my fave, but expensive), and some New Balance styles.

I have abeos for  walking. (I bought a pair of sport sandles over the summer, and ended up wearing them everyday.)  I don't wear the same pair every day.

you might also look into propet  http://www.propetusa.com/- I bought two pair for ds online (after trying everywhere else, including nordstrom).  he really liked them - and they have a warranty (or used to) for durability.  before I bought them, I read a lot of reviews from store managers/waiters/etc. who put alot of miles on a pair of shoes.

I'm a big fan of New Balance. If you have wide feet they are definitely the way to go. I can walk all day in the pair I have now which have a neutral drop so it's more like walking barefoot. They weigh hardly anything. You can find good deals at 6pm.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom's rule was a minimum of three pairs of school shoes per child so that the shoes could be air out.

I have four pairs of boots for cold weather and at least four pairs of summer shoes. I do stay near the outlets though so a pair of Nike or Reebok at their outlet store is affordable during clearance. I bought two Reebok running shoes for $30 at their BOGO clearance sale. I wear size 5 or 6 so usually there are remainders during a sale.

My boys have a favorite pair each so we have to throw one pair every 2 to 3 months. Their feet are still growing though so they do change shoe size rather often.

I love Nike, but go through a pair in about every 3-4 months. I read that I should have 2 pair to help the cushioning have time to "refresh" I just can't afford to keep going through that many pair of Nike a year.

So what shoe do you wear? Do you have two pair?

Did you read that from a shoe retailer? Sounds like a money grab. I've never heard that from anyone I know who runs. There is usually a mileage limit for a shoe, and if you have 2 pairs you alternate then it will take longer for the mileage to accumulate in either pair. There is no need for 2 pairs, and you can have shoes resoled if you are tight on money (my marathon running uncle does this).

I rarely wear closed shoes except when I know I'll be walking a lot (or am specifically going for a walk). For those times I wear New Balance. I've tried other name brands and always go back to New Balance. A podiatrist recommended them when I saw him for my plantar fasciitis. He also said if I insisted on wearing sandals I should choose Birkenstocks.

I rarely wear closed shoes except when I know I'll be walking a lot (or am specifically going for a walk). For those times I wear New Balance. I've tried other name brands and always go back to New Balance. A podiatrist recommended them when I saw him for my plantar fasciitis. He also said if I insisted on wearing sandals I should choose Birkenstocks.

Shoes are good for about 500 miles depending on your weight and use. I go through about 3-4 pairs of sneakers a year. I used to love Nikes but I really love my Ascis Gel and my Brooks ghost. These work best for my feet and don't bother my PF. New Balance is not a shoe for me. Get fitted in a running store. I do but most of my shoes from Amazon and Zappos.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

I run and walk for a total of about 4-5 miles a day (except the last two months because I just stopped...I'm feeling it).

After years of foot pain that eventually began to migrate to my knees no matter what shoe I tried, I now wear minimalist shoes. I no longer have four or knee pain (took time to heal, though). My favorites are my Vibram Bikalas, original model. They are four years old and I just replaced them (but only because I was afraid they would fail and I would have to wait for new shoes to be shipped). Four years of daily wear. They have no cushion and barely any sole (by design), so there really isn't much to wear out. The failure point turned out to be the top of my big toes where my toenails push at the fabric.

Did you read that from a shoe retailer? Sounds like a money grab. I've never heard that from anyone I know who runs. There is usually a mileage limit for a shoe, and if you have 2 pairs you alternate then it will take longer for the mileage to accumulate in either pair. There is no need for 2 pairs, and you can have shoes resoled if you are tight on money (my marathon running uncle does this).

No, it was not from a retailer, actually a fitness board that I frequent.