Menu

Board games for the adult crowd?

fourcatmom

Sushi Go or Zombie Dice are quick, fun games, not board games, though.  Have you ever watched the show Table Top with Wil Wheaton?  They actually play tons of different games so you can see for yourself if you think the game would be a good fit or not.  Wil's family sometimes plays and there are frequently celebrities.  Pretty funny show at times and DS and I found some fun games that way.

• Like 2

I second Wise and Otherwise which is one of favorite games for up to six players.

One person serves as reader and the other players write the endings to obscure sayings.  The reader writes the actual ending to the saying and then reads aloud all the options.  Players gain points when their ending is voted for.  The reader gains points if no one votes for the correct ending.

A prompt might be something such as: There's an Old Dutch saying.  "In the land of blind men, ...."  Highlight to see correct answer here: One Eye is king.

Regards,

Kareni

We played Battle of the Sexes last one year with a group of teens and parents, and it was HILARIOUS.  We didn't do the board and all that.  We just had one parent couple hold all the cards and draw and read, going around in a circle to take turns answering.  I think we went through the whole box (it was New Years, hehe) in maybe 3 hours?  There are ones you act out, etc. etc.  So funny!!!

I have considered cards against humanity but I just don't know. Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe they have the wise and otherwise game.

Have you played it already? If not, just be sure you know the game and your audience.  It could be incredibly uncomfortable with the wrong set of people.  

• Like 5

Have you played it already? If not, just be sure you know the game and your audience.  It could be incredibly uncomfortable with the wrong set of people.  

No I have not. I did watch a video on Amazon I think of the three grandmas playing it and I know it would not be a game I would enjoy. My Sister, maybe.

• Like 2

Ticket to Ride

Apples to Apples (basically a tamer version of Cards Against Humanity---though depending on the group it can get fairly offensive as well) 

Dixit--a pictoral version of Apples to Apples. You get a picture card and have to use a few words to describe it. People turn in a picture card they have that they think matches the description, the cards are mixed up, laid face up and people vote with tokens to see if they can figure out which card was the main card. It is a lot easier to play than explain :)

• Like 1

Just another poster saying that Cards Against Humanity is not appropriate for some groups of people.  I bought it for a gift and then once it was opened and I read some of the cards, I gave it to someone else instead.  They love it, but there is no way that I would want to suggest that game to just anyone. I didn't even want to keep it in my home,  nor would I ever play it, and I am very much, not a prude. 

We played Cards Against Humanity tonight. Neighbors and I and adult children ranging in age 18-23. A bit awkward at first, but we got into it. Definitely vulgar. We had started with Apples to Apples Jr (I don't have the regular version, we have this version for my younger son who has disabilities and was not playing tonight). That was boring quick. Dd had a Cards Against Humanity set that she was delivering to a friend. So we pulled it out and gave it a try. We played for 3 hours so I guess we are vulgar and inappropriate and we did have fun. 

We love Cards Against Humanity, but then we're horrible people.

I'll second Trivial Pursuit.

Balderdash

Pictionary

Quelf

Taboo

There are some games I want to take out back and shoot like a clay pigeon. Quelf is one of them.

The Game of Things is one we play often at the in-laws. It can turn raunchy with one of "those" crowds, but it certainly doesn't have to.

There are some games I want to take out back and shoot like a clay pigeon. Quelf is one of them.

My MIL gave that to me for Christmas last year. My 3 kids, SIL, and I played and had a hilarious time! My MIL, BIL, and DH sat and watched us, shaking their heads in annoyance as if they couldn't believe we were playing such a goofy game. MIL commented to dd that if she'd know it was this kind of game, she wouldn't have given it to me. (She was very unhappy she gave it to me.) I think it's the kind of game you either really like or are completely disgusted with it.

• Like 1

We always play games when family is around.  This trip we've been playing:

Rook (a huge favorite in our family)

Uno Attack

Apples to Apples

Three Thirteen (a card game using normal playing cards - two decks)

Wide World (an old game from my youth, so not easily found)

Farkle (a dice game my youngest - age 20 - just introduced us to)

We haven't gotten to them yet, but we also like Boggle, Guesstures, Masterpiece (an Art game), Scotland Yard, and Mahjongg (the board/tiles game - not the computer version).

We're probably pretty tame in what we like, but such is life.  We enjoy them all and the camaraderie that comes with playing them.

Our favorite family game is Catchphrase, not a board but hilarious.

We also enjoy Wise or Otherwise

Catchphrase is a hoot with a crowd. We vary it by playing teams, where ever other person in a circle are on the team together. You have to remember when to shout an answer and when to be quiet. We also have a version where you have to act out the phrase.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a fun cooperative game.

Bohnanza is a great easy to play card game.

Space Alert is a crazy cooperative game, I can't get my head around it my my dh and his friends really like it.

We have Space Alert, and even though we're a sci-fi family, we just couldn't wrap our heads around it, even though we play a version of Catan that would make most people's eyes cross. (It has developed over years of playing though.) 

Telestrations is a lot of fun. It's like a combination of Pictionary and the old telephone (some called it post office) game. It's the kind of game that gets everyone laughing.

Rumicube is fairly tame yet enjoyable if you want a quiet game, but is only for up to 4 players. 

We also enjoy:

Dominion

Bohnanza

Hollywood Game Night

Five Crowns - card game

Phase 10 - card game

We love Cards Against Humanity but are careful about who we play it with. I would only recommend playing this game with people you know very well and with whom you're very comfortable.

Farkle is an easy dice game that takes little effort to play. Leaders can quickly become losers which makes it enjoyable. Here's a link to the rules we follow: Farkle

Pandemic is a group strategy game where the group cooperatively plays against the game. I don't really enjoy strategy games (take too long), but this one works for our family and it's not hours worth of game time.

Pictionary

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 1

Scrabble is a lot of fun, requires enough mental wattage to keep most adults engaged, and has the advantage that almost everyone (in the U.S., at least) already knows how to play it, regardless of their age. Bridge can be enjoyable, but is pretty old-fashioned now. (I think Mah-Jongg also falls into this category.) The King of the new-wave German games is definitely Settlers of Catan -- there's an endless amount of strategy, game play does not have to run long, and the mechanics of the game are such that even if you are in a position where you are unlikely to win, the game remains enjoyable. (It's also very popular with college students.) The standard game is for 3-4, and with the player expansion it works well with 5-6.

Edited by Anacharsis

Our college kids introduced us to Bananagrams today.  We've loved it - hence - mentioning it even if it's "after" Christmas now.

Bananagrams is a big hit here; we've loved it for years.  We played it with friends just a couple of days ago.  We play competitively until there's a winner and then we collaborate until everyone has played all of their tiles.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Very helpful thread!

I'm getting together with extended family and the >25 but <40 year olds usually play cards against humanity in the other room. It's sort of unspoken that others aren't invited. It makes the get together clearly divided. I thought maybe this year I'd play and just let them squirm that auntie is playing. However, after reading this thread, maybe not!