Menu

help please, don't want to offend new neighbors who homeschool

HeatherL

We met a family today that just moved in a few weeks ago who live a few streets away from us.  I am having a "free" yard sale today (done with the clutter in my house and over people not showing up to buy after making arrangements).   Any way I posted on our community facebook page and she came to see what books and school stuff I had. 

They are a lovely family.  Some details... 10 kids, all the girls where in skirts, no head coverings.  We live in a VERY LDS area, but we were talking about cub scouts and from that discussion I gathered they are not LDS.  We are jewish, but my son tells everyone Merry Christmas this time of year, so when they were leaving he says, "Merry Christmas" to them and the mom just looks at him and nods and the kids don't respond at all they get back in their car.  Everyone was very chatty up to that point and we had already talked about getting together at the park later this week.  Does anyone know what religion they may be?  I just want to be consciences  and not offend them when we/if we get together next week.  Thank you!!

Edited by HeatherL

Maybe she just found it odd to be wished a Merry Christmas so early in the season. Probably not, but how would any of us be able to answer the question? Not all Christians celebrate Christmas even if others at their church do, so it doesn't necessarily mean they belong to a particular denomination or another religion if they don't.

I don't care really, things just seemed very awkward when the "Merry Christmas" thing happened and after they left, my son asked if he did something wrong.  My son has no issues bringing up we are Jewish and don't celebrate Christmas when someone says it to him, so he wasn't sure what he did wrong. 

• Like 1

Maybe she just found it odd to be wished a Merry Christmas so early in the season. Probably not, but how would any of us be able to answer the question? Not all Christians celebrate Christmas even if others at their church do, so it doesn't necessarily mean they belong to a particular denomination or another religion if they don't.

I was more just curious if there was a religion that would not respond (not even with a, "oh you too" if told, "Merry Christmas". 

I was more just curious if there was a religion that would not respond (not even with a, "oh you too" if told, "Merry Christmas".

I have Jewish friends who wouldn't wish you a Merry Christmas, but would respond to you with something like happy holidays or thank you. They wouldn't be offended by the Merry Christmas, though, if they knew you didn't know they were Jewish, because they would realize you were just trying to be friendly.

I don't think you need to be concerned about this, though, as if you inadvertently mention a holiday the woman doesn't celebrate, if she is a nice person, she will politely tell you that her family doesn't celebrate Christmas. If she gets offended right off the bat, I'm not sure you would want to be friends with her anyway.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 12

To answer the title question - I think there is a greater chance of offending someone if you assume things.  They could be not religious at all and thus do not celebrate Christmas.  They could follow a religion that doesn't celebrate Christmas.  They could be a bit socially awkward about how to respond to things.  They could still think it is early in the season.  They could follow a religion that does celebrate Christmas but been caught off guard anyway. 

• Like 2

Do they know you are Jewish? Maybe it felt awkward to them because they didn't want to return the "Merry Christmas" if they know you don't celebrate it. Maybe she couldn't think of a good response like "Happy Hannukah" on the spur of the moment.

This was my first thought too. If they had any inkling that you were Jewish, it would seem really odd that your son said that, and then how does one respond? That's the kind of thing where I would probably do something really awkward and then later figure out what I should have said or done--sometimes I don't think well on the spot if something really surprises me.

Skirts and not celebrating the holiday would fit with JW, but I'd just ask when you get together and if you feel you offended her, you could bring it up and apologize. 

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 1

Maybe it doesn't matter what religion they are.  Maybe this is just something you let go, and get together next week and have fun?

You could ask.  You could even sort of laugh that your son always says this at this time of year, despite not celebrating it.  :)

FWIW, when I read your post, I thought of my sister's family.  They are Orthodox Jewish, all the girls wear skirts, no head coverings for girls.  And my sister - you wouldn't necessarily know that she wears a wig.  Seriously.  So, who knows?  Though they are pretty adamant about living in an Orthodox neighborhood, for good reasons.

• Like 1

I think you are way overthinking it.  It was a nod.  It could mean anything ("I'm not Christian", "I'm Jewish", "I'm getting in the car now and don't want to get into a discussion", "I hear you said something, but I'm not sure what, and don't have time to ask").  They nodded.  You're fine.  Relax.

• Like 2

If they are JWs, I'm sure you didn't offend them. We're JW's and holiday greetings don't offend us. We usually reply with a "thanks" if it isn't the time/place to say "Actually, we don't celebrate XMas."

But the skirts don't really point to JWs as we don't wear skirts all the time (I mean, I'm sure some might, but as a generalization, no).

Edited by ajfries
  • Like 2

I would wait and see.  Not make any assumptions and not bring it up anymore.

I really hope they weren't offended bc it's just so tiring  - people being offended by everything.

BTW, if they are Orthodox Jews, unmarried girls wouldn't have any head coverings, but their mom would either have something on or be wearing a wig.

Oh and one more thing - my friend is Catholic and that's how her girls dressed. Even when they are babies.  Always dresses and skirts.  I think it's just a conservative/modesty thing for them.

Well, we are just regular ol' Christians who do not celebrate xmas or easter either due to our personal convictions. When someone says "merry xmas" to us, we usually just smile and say "Have a great day!" Or something along those lines. They could be JW or SDA, but like pps have said, it could have been any number of things. I'd just be polite and not worry about it. This business of trying not to offend people you don't even know has gotten ridiculous these days. I mean, short of obviously offensive things. 

• Like 4

Well they're homeschoolers so they probably haven't let the kids out of the basement in a long time and they're having trouble adapting to social situations.  ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of people who don't celebrate Christmas are fine with friendly greetings. You can find more at the park but don't dwell on it in the meantime.

• Like 12

Honestly, if I were that mom and someone I knew to be Jewish shouted "Merry Christmas" at me, I might think/say, "Mer--" Oh wait, they are Jewish... are all my kids in the car? Where is Suzy? "--Bye!"

Or I might have been muddled because it doesn't feel like Christmas yet to me and no one is really saying that yet. 

Chances are (statistically) they celebrate Christmas. My guess is that she just didn't think of a quick reply. I would also bet that if they don't, she's not offended. 

• Like 1

I know two jewish guys with christian wives; one couple is my immediate neighbor.

I would be surprised at a Merry Christmas greeting that early in December since my neighbors would start wishing Merry Christmas the week of Christmas. My kids and I would smile and continue on our way. Hubby would automatically stop moving and return the greeting. We are an atheist-agnostic family.

well... I may have solved the riddle on my own!  She commented on my facebook post that it was nice to meet us and I peeked at her profile.  They appear to be Jewish!!  and actually religious and practicing (we are in a VERY small minority in our community and most families who we meet whom say they are Jewish still celebrate Christmas, don't go to synagogue, kids don't know much about the religion)  I am so excited!!  Our synagogue is 45 minutes away, so even friends my son makes there in Hebrew school he never sees outside of that setting. 

• Like 27

well... I may have solved the riddle on my own!  She commented on my facebook post that it was nice to meet us and I peeked at her profile.  They appear to be Jewish!!  and actually religious and practicing (we are in a VERY small minority in our community and most families who we meet whom say they are Jewish still celebrate Christmas, don't go to synagogue, kids don't know much about the religion)  I am so excited!!  Our synagogue is 45 minutes away, so even friends my son makes there in Hebrew school he never sees outside of that setting. 

That's pretty funny when you think about it.  Two Jewish families trying to figure out wishes for a Merry Christmas and there's a war on Happy Holidays.   :lol:

• Like 16

How funny! So happy for you, and what a story this will make later on, over coffee!

• Like 1

Well, I see you found the answer.

I just wanted to say that as a JW I have never been with a JW who didn't answer in some way or another.  Usually, I try to say some pleasantry back like, "have a great weekend."  My kids get tripped up still and probably wouldn't have said anything though. 

And though we wear dresses/skirts to the meetings at the Kingdom Hall and in our ministry work, we, as a religion, don't wear them full time (obviously, there could be some people who just prefer to do so just like any other random person).  

Anyway, just wanted to share on the JW thing since we have first hand experience in daily life :)

I wouldn't have read anything at all into the encounter...