Menu

Have you bought a dishwasher recently?

Scarlett

Do you love it ? Hate it?

We have a dishwasher that is hooked up to electricity and water and 'works' but not really. It is the worst dishwasher in the history of the world. I have put off getting one because we plan to gut our kitchen but ds15 says why wait? So now I am thinking we should just buy one now.

So help please. :)

I did.

We were going to buy a Bosch. Best reviews, plus very quiet. My aunt has one and I've envied it for years. Then I discovered that they don't come with a heated dry option, and that was a deal breaker for me.

We went with a highly rated Whirlpool and I adore it. I love that the top rack adjusts, has a stem wear piece, the tines adjust, the silver ware thing is in the door so it doesn't take up rack space, and there's a power wash cycle to get caked on stuff off. It's very quiet, and my dishes are so clean!

ETA:  I got rid of a GE for this one.  I HATED the GE.  It hasn't properly cleaned my dishes in years, and I was sick of having to pre- and post-wash them.  

Edited by AlmiraGulch
  • Like 2

I've got a Bosch.  Overall I'm pretty happy with it.  I have Fiesta ware dishes and since there thick, I sometimes have to space the dishes in every other slot so they have enough space for the water to get in.  So it' doesn't hold as many as it is advertised to but still holds far more than my previous maytag.

• Like 1

Bosch 800. 1 year old. Love it. It is pretty much completely silent. You can be running dishes and be standing a few feet away and won't hear it unless you work to hear it. It has never impaired a conversation. I never hesitate to run a load even if we are about to sit down for a meal a few feet away. It cleans very well. Love the third rack. Only downside is that, like many new dishwashers, the heat-dry cycle is much slower and tamer than older energy-hungry dishwashers. It'll dry just fine over night, but if you want to unload right away (after the long, 2 hour, cycles), then you will have to dry a few plastic things. (Ceramic/glass/metal dries much better and faster than plastic.) Love it. 

• Like 2

We had a Bosch in our last house. Loved it, but the buttons started breaking after a year or so. Moved, put in an Asko. Hated that thing. Prayed every day for it to break. 10 years later my wish cam true. Appliance stores all said not to get Bosch. New ones gave highest repair rate out there. We got a Miele (which I wanted when we got the Asko). I love this dishwasher. I can literally get every dish and piece of silverware we own in one load. We are a family of 6. We eat every meal at home and I run the dishwasher once a day.

I highly suggest taking a place setting of your dishes to the store and see If they fit properly in the dishwasher you want. I didn't do that with the Bosch. If I had I would never have bought it.

Edited by Plateau Mama
  • Like 1

bought a GE profile  and it stopped spraying 6 weeks later.   I loved it when it worked :glare:   THe repair guy came out said its could be the circuit board or the circulating pump.  We are waiting on parts.  Its still under warranty for parts and service.   my last dishwasher was a Kenmore that lasted 20 years.  My last fridge was a whirlpool that lasted 18 years.  

The current way things are made is subpar.   I miss when thing were made to last not fill a landfield.  I think its funny how we are so environmental smarter but make more junk now.

• Like 5

I have a high end kitchen aid.  words alone cannot express how much I utterly loath it. we had only had it a few months before we were debating going out and buying ANOTHER dishwasher with which to replace it.  it cleans poorly, and is not flexible.  (i had a *very* flexible dishwasher.  I miss it, but it died.) but it's quiet . . . .we found if we did the "high-temp scrub" and made sure to rinse dishes before placing in the dishwasher, and use a rinse agent (never used on previously), it became tolerable.  but I still would love to go replace it.

all becasue dh didn't want to spend a little bit more on the bosch I wanted . . .

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

On the other side of things, I bought a Fridgidaire Gallery, which was the exact amount I got after selling my old couch.  I have a very small house and while the dishwasher isn't perfectly quiet, it's definitely not loud enough to bother anyone in any of the other rooms (max 20ft away).  It cleans well, has a delay wash option which I use pretty much every time, heated dry, sanitary/normal/heavy wash options...  For a somewhat inexpensive dishwasher, it's been great!

bought a GE profile  and it stopped spraying 6 weeks later.   I loved it when it worked :glare:   THe repair guy came out said its could be the circuit board or the circulating pump.  We are waiting on parts.  Its still under warranty for parts and service.   my last dishwasher was a Kenmore that lasted 20 years.  My last fridge was a whirlpool that lasted 18 years.  

The current way things are made is subpar.   I miss when thing were made to last not fill a landfield.  I think its funny how we are so environmental smarter but make more junk now.

my last dishwasher was a ge profile.  I loved that thing. I had it for 10+ years. rarely had problem with it, and nothing we couldn't fix.  it was so flexible, it cleaned well, I found if I put the spray arms in the tub and turned on thet jets - any junk in the arms would come out. (I found that towards the end.)  but, it was dying -and i  kept pushing it.  then it finally sprung a leak and destroyed my kitchen floor.  (insurance replaced the floor.)  I wanted a super quiet dishwasher (which I sometimes open during mid-cycle because I dont' realize it's running.), or I might have bought another one.  soooooo flexible.  when I was looking - the new one didn't seem as good as mine. that's one reason I didn't buy it.

what's that say when the dishwashers I've had the best luck with were ge?  a builder's special that came with the house - and the high end profile.  I didn't like the maytag very much - and I loath the kitchen aid.

• Like 1

GE Profile. Cleans way better than my Bosch did, but it's having a hard time with the new detergent--leaves white streaks. My repairman said this is common with the newer GE's.  Also the tines on the racks started rusting off starting at 18 months and are breaking off. 

• Like 1

We got a Miele six months ago and I love it. We were planning to get a Bosch, but the Miele was the only one that had the artificial stainless steel finish that does not show all the fingerprints and drips. That is a HUGE annoyance of mine. The Miele is incredibly quiet and does an excellent job. I could not like it any more than I do.

• Like 1

We're very happy with the Whirlpool Gold mid-range dishwasher we bought at Home Depot a few months ago. People often put down Whirlpool appliances, but we've been very happy with the stove/oven and microwave we bought several years ago, and are happy with the dishwasher so far.

It has the heat dry option, which I specifically wanted, it has a number of different cycles without going overboard (so many cycles never really get used), it's quiet (a huge plus because our other one sounded like a cement mixer and we couldn't run it if we were watching tv in the next room), and has a 24 hour delay timer (as opposed to something like a setting for every 2-4 hours). 

• Like 1

We have a dishwasher that is hooked up to electricity and water and 'works' but not really. It is the worst dishwasher in the history of the world. I have put off getting one because we plan to gut our kitchen but ds15 says why wait? So now I am thinking we should just buy one now.

I have purchased many dishwashers for many houses - one in the last month for my own.

Make sure you use Cascade powder (not those pellets or liquid, as it clogs them), and Lemishine powder with it.  Don't use much of either.  You don't need much.

Lemishine makes a huge difference, if they are not looking clean.  Also, whatever dishwasher companies claim, you have to rinse your dishes first.

Anyway, you could just have a defective piece of junk, or else one of the above might help you.   I prefer Kitchenaid or Maytag, for the most part.  They seem to work better, though my older Kenmore did a decade's worth of duty and was still going strong. 

• Like 2

We tried a Bosch for two days only to discover I did not like the configuration of the racks and the fact it did not have a heat dry. This is my advice. Take a good look at your current dishwasher racks and make note of size and configuration. Note that the new models (e.g. the Bosch we tried) are smaller on the inside even though the outside appears the same size. There is a larger allowance for insulation which allows it to be more energy efficient. The Bosch did not allow for all the bowls and baking glassware that I use the way our old one did.  But it really depends on what you normally wash. If only cups/glasses and plates, you will be fine with the Bosch. If you have a bajillion IKEA bowls and lots of soup bowls and cereal bowls, you need to take a good look at the rack configuration and determine if it will work for you.

In the end, we switched to a Kitchen Aid.  I like it, but I would NOT ever get a stainless steel appliance again. It constantly shows drip marks.  Otherwise the dishwasher works great.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

We love our Bosch, but we have Corelle (sp?) dishes. It might not work with different dishes. We had a series of Whirpools (and so did other family members) that we liked before this Bosch, but we found that with our hard water here, we had to buy high-end washers and use the Lemi-shine packets religiously. Cleaning the filters is really important as well.  

Definitely consider what your dishes are like. 

We love the stainless interior. 

• Like 1

After a great deal of research including a TWO hour conversation with a repairman, we bought a Samsung 5 years ago.  We got the low-end model and are very happy with it.  A friend and relative also bought them at our recommendation and have been happy.  The one I replaced was a "high end" Whirlpool that never really worked and completely died after three years.  BIL replaced a KitchenAid with a very similar story.  And friend replaced a Bosch that did not even make it a year....luckily the shop she bought it from declared it a lemon and refunded her money.

• Like 2

I was super happy with my Miele.  Have been medium happy with 2 kitchenaids (we moved and inherited this one).  When this one dies (please let it be soon but without water damage), I'm heading straight to the Miele store.  

Clean clean clean, easy to stack the dishes and QUIET.  Our dw's are always in living space and quite counts for at least $100 purchase price.  :0)

After a great deal of research including a TWO hour conversation with a repairman, we bought a Samsung 5 years ago.  We got the low-end model and are very happy with it.  A friend and relative also bought them at our recommendation and have been happy.  The one I replaced was a "high end" Whirlpool that never really worked and completely died after three years.  BIL replaced a KitchenAid with a very similar story.  And friend replaced a Bosch that did not even make it a year....luckily the shop she bought it from declared it a lemon and refunded her money.

We went with Samsung, too.  It's been a year and we're still happy with it.  Dishes are clean, everything works.  

• Like 2

If you're thinking of buying a new one anyway, you might want to consider you and your ds take the old one apart and cleaning it.  There are tons of YouTube videos about this kind of thing.  My dishwasher was just not getting things clean, so before investing in a new one, I found a video for my model, and did a full take-apart.  I scrubbed each part, then put it all back together.  Now, it washes really great!  It took a couple of hours, and was well worth the investment of time.  Since your ds will one day have a home with a dishwasher of his own, he may benefit from going through the process, even if it doesn't end up helping.

• Like 1

We love our Bosch, but we have Corelle (sp?) dishes. It might not work with different dishes. We had a series of Whirpools (and so did other family members) that we liked before this Bosch, but we found that with our hard water here, we had to buy high-end washers and use the Lemi-shine packets religiously. Cleaning the filters is really important as well.  

Definitely consider what your dishes are like. 

We love the stainless interior. 

My dishwasher stinks (literally!) I've looked at the manual to see if we have a filter, but it refers to two different models that look identical; one has a filter, the other doesn't. It tells me to clean the filter, but it doesn't tell me how to clean the filter or even where it's located. Any suggestions on where to look? I've checked the bottom of the dishwasher, but don't see any removable parts.

We have a GE and I hate it! It doesn't get the dishes clean, frequently leaves soap residue in the cups (even with filling the soap dispenser only a third of the way), and takes over 2 hours for to complete a cycle. The heated dry doesn't dry anything.

In previous homes, I would take our most often used dishes to see how the new dwer would handle them. It enabled me to eliminate several choices because my dishes didn't fit well.

• Like 1

If you're thinking of buying a new one anyway, you might want to consider you and your ds take the old one apart and cleaning it.  There are tons of YouTube videos about this kind of thing.  My dishwasher was just not getting things clean, so before investing in a new one, I found a video for my model, and did a full take-apart.  I scrubbed each part, then put it all back together.  Now, it washes really great!  It took a couple of hours, and was well worth the investment of time.  Since your ds will one day have a home with a dishwasher of his own, he may benefit from going through the process, even if it doesn't end up helping.

Never thought of this. Thank you!

• Like 1

I have an Amana. It was cheap. Less than $400. I replaced an old Kitchenaid that was great for years until it died. That Kitchenaid was fast and dried very well. The new dishwasher takes FOREVER. I'm sure it uses less water and all, but a cycle lasts over an hour. I think the 'quick' cycle is an hour. It sounds like a jet engine. It doesn't dry as well as the old one. It does get my dishes really clean and has for about six years. My kitchen is a separate room, so the noise isn't as bad as it would be in an open concept house. Half the time I just use the timer and run the dishwasher in the middle of the night or during a dance class when I'm running music anyway.

All this to say, don't be surprised if your next generation, updated machine takes A LOT longer than an old machine did.

• Like 1

How fortunate for your friend the Bosch owner. Mine had something like 12 warranty service calls before everything was working right. Sears won't declare it a lemon unless there's something like 6 failures of the same part. Different parts don't count. 

• Like 1

We went with Samsung, too.  It's been a year and we're still happy with it.  Dishes are clean, everything works.  

We have had our Samsung for for a few years and have been very happy with it. It is really quiet. I had gotten used to how quiet it is, and I was at my mom's house when she turned her dishwasher on. I was blown away by the comparison. It was like standing under an airplane. :lol:  I had never given one thought to dishwasher noise before. When we were told that a selling point of the Samsung was its quietness, I was like, "pshhh, whatever. I don't care about that." But once it was in our house, the difference was shocking. 

It cleans well, but I am one of those who has a hard time not pre-washing to the point where the dish goes into the washer already clean. I like that it can handle really tall pots and has enough room for everything.

Dh likes the pretty blue led display.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I would like a Bosch....isn't that one with the 3 rd rack about $800. I don't want to spend that much. I did have a whirlpool higher end and I loved it.

Bosch does have a 3rd rack, but so do a lot of brands now, and they don't cost as much as the Bosch.  The other Whirlpool I almost got had a 3rd rack, too.  I just didn't feel like spending an extra couple of hundred dollars for that rack, and that model didn't have the power wash, either. 

I think my Whirlpool was like $650 or so, but I got it on sale for just under that.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I would like a Bosch....isn't that one with the 3 rd rack about $800. I don't want to spend that much. I did have a whirlpool higher end and I loved it.

I don't remember what model I bought but that was about the list price.  But I know with sales and rebates I think I got about $150 off and then I got cash back by putting it on my discover card.  If I were buying one now, I would probably order it online (after checking it out in person), so I could get swagbucks back as well.  The local metal recycling place also gave me about $10 for my old one.  When you combine all the little savings offers it does help bring the price down but I know not everyone has the time or patience to do it that way.

• Like 1

We got ours on sale, with an attached rebate online, and used the card for another 5% off. Still far from cheap, but better than full price!

I bought mine from a locally owned place and negotiated the price down on the previous year's model.

No, but we just moved into a new house with a new to us disheasher. This one works just fine but you can't tell when it is running because the control panel is on the inside. We just hosted Thanksgiving so we were running more loads than usual. I swear every load was opened prematurely because you just could not tell if it was done unless you opened it. On the upside it runs very quietly. I just wish there was at least an indicator light on the outside. Just something to consider when looking at models.

• Like 1

Yes--that's the one we recently bought. I thought a long time on whether to just get the one with 2 racks, which was a bit less $; under 700 I think. And now I can't remember why we went with the 3-rack version. :001_rolleyes:  IIRC they have an even cheaper version with non-adjustable racks . . . I want to say around $500? Sorry, I can't remember, but we bought from Lowe's so you might check there. My SIL has always had Bosch and has said when hers died she'd replace it with the cheapest Bosch model she could find because they worked so well. Found it--Ascenta.

It does have a much different tine configuration which will take some figuring out. We have IKEA dishes and they fit fine, but thicker plates/deeper bowls could be problematic. As others have mentioned it has a filter that needs to be cleaned monthly and no drying cycle. We never used the drying cycle anyway so it wasn't a big deal to us. Another con is the cycles are much longer--2.25 vs 1.5 hours. Oh, and the Kenmore never threw our plastic cups around but the Bosch does. However, the Bosch is soooo quiet that it's worth it; our Kenmore was soooo loud.

• Like 1

I guess I like my Bosch now.

First it would come unlatched during the cycle and I would often find unwashed dishes in the morning. It would literally take all day to get a load washed. I figured out that no dish can hang over the edge or it will push the door open. Still had latching problems,but then my husband did something to fix the latch so it doesn't stop mid-cycle anymore.

Then it wouldn't drain the dirty water. Finally figured out the drain at the bottom needed aligning.

Speaking of the drain, you have to wash the drain and filter often, like once a week, especially if you have your kids doing the dishes. I've never had to wash a drain in a dishwasher before...

There is constant build-up of grime at the bottom of the door, but I guess that happens with all washers.

It cleans, it's quiet, but after months of cursing the thing I don't think I'll get a bosch again.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned Asko, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Asko dishwasher. It's quiet, it gets things perfectly clean, the design is simple-looking, and it never has any issues. It's pricier than most, even more than Bosch, I think, but I absolutely adore it. It gets used 2 times a day at least. 

Yes, that was the ballpark of what we paid. I think we bought ours last year.

Ours has an indicater light at the bottom that shines a red square on the floor while running.