Menu

Could we try to assemble a gift guide?

bolt.

If we pool our intelligence, I'm sure most of us have similar taste in 'toys' or other gifts. It would be lovely to know what went over well for your kids in past years, and the fantastic plans you have for the upcoming holiday season. Brainstorming together helps us not have to re-invent the wheel!

--- my contributions ---

Lego: For our family Lego has been a hit for years. (5 to 10 yo, and counting)

Playmobil: We keep adding to two groups. "Regular people" (who go to zoos, camping etc), and "Castle and Fairie". This may have run its course. Not sure if I will buy more this year. They have lots, but still enjoy it a lot. (5 to 10 yo, and counting)

K'nex: got a double basic kit for a large base collection when the youngest was 6 yo. Quite popular.

Goldie blox (6yog)

Snap Circuts (8 yo, still very popular)

"Tag" reading stuff (3 to 5 yo)

Meccano: got for 6yo, seemed too difficult to be fun for that year.

I'll keep adding. Won't you add too?

• Like 2

Great idea!  

I would add Kapla blocks.  They're simple, but out of all the toys and other things we have in the house Kapla is the one thing that seems to be enjoyed by toddlers all the way to adults. It's creative and fun and you can do it by yourself or with others.  

• Like 1

Picasso Tiles (same thing as MagnaTiles): HUGE hit for our 4yo dd last year, and she still uses them as a 5yo this year. I learned about them here, though, so they're probably nothing new to most of you!

Disney Busy Book sets: an unexpected hit. My daughter received a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse one at age 3 from a family member and still plays with it at age 5. She received a Paw Patrol one this summer and loves it, especially that Mickey and his friends now can be friends with the Paw Patrol pups, too. (These are board books that are also boxes containing a play mat and 12 small figures.) I'm sure she'd also love some of the others that are available.

Good quality art and/or drafting supplies (12+) - it's time to move beyond Crayola and let them see what else is out there! 

drafting/art table - teen

DSL Camera - 16+

Elenco Electronics Kit 14+

Arduino - teens

Raspberry Pi - teens

LEGO Mindstorm EV3 - 11+

Estes Model Rockets - started at age 6, supervision required at launch until age 12

Stocking stuffers that have been hits: 

scotch tape (four year olds love this stuff)

paper airplane book and copy paper (ages 6+)

balsa wood gliders (can't remember minimum age, but we did this from around age 5)

Thinking Putty

T-shirts

• Like 3

My boys are older (20 & 17). Things they've asked for include backpack, computer chair, gaming headset, Wacom tablet, upgraded computer monitor or graphics card, new running shoes & gear, and regular socks. Yes, I've actually been asked for new socks by both of them. :D

Dd is 10 and likes good art supplies. She still enjoys Crayola markers (because we haven't splurged for better) but asks for Prismacolor pencils and other good quality drawing pens along with sketch pads of all kinds. She also likes Littlest Pet Shop figurines ordered from Ebay (shipped from China). Last year she got a point-and-shoot camera which she uses to record stories that she makes up for her LPS to perform.

All mine love office supplies (it runs in the family) so new pens/pencils are usually a hit--of course, now they've each developed a preference for which brand/style they like and I can't keep up with that. lol.

I usually get each Tee Fury shirt and a gift card for a fast food place. And a junk food bag made up of a few sodas and snack foods then "wrapped" in a reusable grocery bag.

• Like 2

Without repeating the above, which are all the big hits here, too:

Grade school age:

A perplexus ball from several years ago is still played with now - that was a surprise hit

Anything with which to build Rube Goldberg machines 

A fort kit that I made a la Pinterest - that's also lasted several years.  And no sewing!

For the little (4 yrs old):

Play silks - these are beloved by the older kiddo, too, for set ups and costumes and stage building

Play food, especially the wooden kind with velcro that can be cut

Wooden farm with schleich animals

For the young adult (now 24, but I'll include teen hits, too):

Gift cards for gas and food

Toe socks from REI

Clothes (yep, clothes horse)

Movie tickets

Theater tickets

Condoms (I know, I know, but we are not ready to be grandparents, and when he was a college kid with no cash handy, it was appreciated)

Belts, texting gloves, anything he might not want to actually purchase

Games.  Lots of them.

ETA:  The obvious, for this board:  BOOKS.   :D

3+:  Magnatiles or offbrands. We got these last year and they have been played with almost daily.

0-3+: These stacking cups. They are amazing and have been used for several years by my girls in so many imaginative ways. They are one of my go-to gifts for baby showers. They stack, they combine to make balls, and they look like new after 6 years of use.

3+: Melissa and Doug reusable sticker pad. Several to choose from, very reasonably priced, and each comes with MANY window cling stickers that have entertained my girls for hours (on windows, not the little pad provided). Fun for a long time but cheap enough to throw away when we're done. We especially like them when we are on vacation in a condo or similar for a few days. Keeps them entertained in a small space without electronics.

3+: Their own box of their favorite (probably sugary) cereal.

3+: Duplo and Lego

3+: Melissa and Doug dress-ups. We have several different ones and they are very high quality for the price.

This seems too obvious to suggest to a group of other homeschoolers, but...books!  

Of course, they always get books, but I've learned to look for the gems -- the reference books or coffee table books in their current hobby or interest.  

These have been the greatest hits and have seen continual use:

For almost teens to adults:

- Laura Ingalls Wilder Country, Anderson

- The Mary Frances Sewing Book, Fryer (also ...Housekeeper, Cook Book, Knktting...)

- Crochet, DK Publishing

- Surprise Inside Cakes, Rettke

- Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts

Storey's Guides (you name it, our dd, who aspires to raise animals, wants them all)

Storey's Guide to... Raising Miniature Livestock, Raising Chickens, Raising Goats, Training Horses...

Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds (if they're really into chickens)  A beautiful book.

- Special Effects - The History and Technique, Rickitt (some pages may be too intense for some)

- Handyman in your pocket, Glover

- Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Math (Ds received when he was 10.  He has moved on to...)

- HarperCollins Dictionary of Mathematics 

Ds has taken many of his favorite books with him to college, but, let me think...

Oh, I can zoom into a photo of his college book shelf...here are a few of his absolute favorites:

- 10.000 Jokes, Toasts, & Stories, Copeland

- The Colossal Book of Mathematics, Gardner (and many other Gardner books)

- The Annotated Alice, Carroll and Gardner

- Mad about Physics, Jargodzki

Mad about Modern Physics, Jargodzki

- The Expert at the Card Table, Erdnase

- Scarne on Card Tricks, Scarne

- Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook, Piven

- The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography, Singh

Family Books:

- Cartoon anthologies like Peanuts hardbound books

- Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide, DK Publishing- Unbelievable and weighty!

- This Book Made Me Do It, Woodward

- Roller Coasters, Rutherford

- Brewers's Dictionary of Phrase & Fable (we all use this a lot!)

- Material World, Menzel (photos of families from around the world taken in front of their homes with all of their possessions surrounding them, as well as a biographical sketch of the featured family.  Fascinating!

- Fictional anthologies are a standard each year, too.

And, I always add to their religion shelf a new Bible, missal, or book by Ann Ball.         

Ha excellent timing as I am scrambling to come up with birthday and Christmas gifts for my girls. Dd1 will be 7 on thanksgiving, dh has a December birthday and dd2 will be 2 January 23rd. (Remind me in my next life to better plan birthdays!!!)

So please give me gift options that may work with both girls :) I know they both like Legos, coloring and reading :)

American Girl is still a hit here, even at age 15 and almost 13 (they like to make stop-motions of their dolls).

Last year's Pottery Barn fur bean bags have been wonderful. We now do a lot of homeschool sitting in them in front of the fire. And the cat likes them too. We got the small size (what size to get was very hard for me to figure out, so I include it here in case others have the same problem--the catalog/website does not show people in them ever! We are relatively smaller people (5'2" girls) in a smaller house. They fit under our grand piano when not in use. Large probably wouldn't).

iPods were a huge hit. Some years will be tech years--I know getting phones at some point will also be a huge hit.

Safari figures, both toobs and bigger ones. Every animal, every person, every mythical critter. They love them all. Age 4- 8 and counting.

Boogie boards.

K'ex education kits.

Wedgits

Dado planks.

Echoing snap circuits, legos, wooden blocks and any elenco electronics kit.

Wooden blocks- I ordered a huge set from Community Playthings, and they were used every day for six or seven years.

Legos- My dc have so many Legos, but even as teens, they will stand around the table and chat and build. The table needs to be taken down at this point, but it will be sad when it actually happens.

Marble runs- my school have a few of the wooden sets that can be put together in any way

Musical instruments- we have lots of musical instruments for kids to play and offer lessons when asked

Technology- we have iPads and video games- some of our best times were playing rock band after dinner

Sporting goods- We've enjoyed everything from simple flag football kits to expensive baseball bats. Ping Pong is a huge hit for teen boys.

Hammocks- My dc love their Eno hammocks. They use them indoors and outdoors, and they've even been taken camping.

My girls (ages 9 and 6) love art kits like the Djeco brand.

They also love paint by number, latch hook rugs, needlepoint kits, and rainbow loom (oh how I hate those little bands!).

Sewing machine was a big hit last year.

Other art kit brands that they like are Creativity for Kids, Klutz, and Alex.

My littler girls (aged 3 and 4) like sticker mosaic kits and usborne sticker books (the dolly dressing ones)

All like Lego, Playmobil, and Calico Critters

My son likes foam swords, nerf guns, and those bow and arrow things that shoot foam arrows.

He also likes those science experiment kits.

All my kids love to receive gift cards to download audiobooks on their iPods. Those iPods were the best investment ever! They listen to books during room time or while they do chores.

SmartMax - magnetic rods and balls. These were a much bigger hit than I expected. We ended up expanding to a few sets because if one person gets them out we all end up on the floor building alongside them.

Marble run - This is also very well loved. We have a set like this one, but I think we have fewer pieces.

Mini trampoline - This has been a lifesaver here. It's great to send her to if she's getting squirmy. It's especially nice on bad weather days when we can't take our morning walk to the playground. I put on music and they run around and jump.

Games - We always include games every year, usually 1-2 adult games and 3-4 kid games. I think games are great for so many things and it's worth the investment in fun ones that will last years. Our favorite adult games: Pandemic, Stone Age, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, and Settlers of Catan. Kids favorites: Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Catan Jr., Labyrinth, Race to the Treasure, Mouse Trap, Discovery Garden, and Qwirkle. Favorite solo play/critical thinking games: Zoologic, Animalogic, Laser Maze Jr., Q-bitz, and Smart Cookies. (Discovery Garden and Race to the Treasure are both great for little ones. My 3yo loves both and can play without help.)

• Like 1

Great idea.

Dd (10) Pegasus and Eiffel tower lego sets. American girl science fair set and 50's outfit, striped gloves she saw in the Libyan catalog she liked,

Ds(15) watch, computer desk chair, a couple of lego sets and whatever else comes up on his list

Adults ds car battery/mobile device charger and gift cards

I doubt these are popular gifts here, but DS12 is looking forward to a bike computer and a GoPro. Reflective gear and lights will make good stocking stuffers. Ski wax and new tights are a given. Team arm warmers will be a surprise. The new cross bike will have to wait until his late winter birthday, because that takes a lot of research to get just the right one.

Regular toys have never been his thing. :)

• Like 2

I doubt these are popular gifts here, but DS12 is looking forward to a bike computer and a GoPro. Reflective gear and lights will make good stocking stuffers. Ski wax and new tights are a given. Team arm warmers will be a surprise. The new cross bike will have to wait until his late winter birthday, because that takes a lot of research to get just the right one.

My ds loves his go pro. He wants a new mountain bike and maybe a kayak. He would probably enjoy snow skiing if we didn't live in such a blazing hot climate.

• Like 1

boogie boards as 'erasable drawing surface'?

My mil got my kids these and I thought they would be dumb////b/c yanno we have eleven hundred dry erase and chalk boards. But they're moe portable and they think they are just the knees of bees.

I wanted to add pocket knives, walky talkies and pup tents. Everyone  under 12 loves those ime

DS11 is very excited about a GoPro, too.  :)

• Like 1

My ds loves his go pro. He wants a new mountain bike and maybe a kayak. He would probably enjoy snow skiing if we didn't live in such a blazing hot climate.

I'm curious what he does with it? Mine wants to make YouTube videos which I could see being really fun and creative. I just want to make sure it actually gets used, kwim? The bike computer can link straight to Strava saving him time uploading from his Garmin, which isn't always the most reliable in the woods.

• Like 1

• We got these easels for everyone last Easter, along with a sketching set.  They are still using them and have held up well!
  • Raspberry Pi--all my DC like these, although the girls just use them to play Minecraft and other games.  
  • Scooters, bikes, skateboards, sleds, etc. are a big deal here.  Although I usually only buy bikes in the spring or summer since we get lots of snow.
  • Last year all the DC (except the baby) got a $40 tablet.  They are great for in the car.
  • Stuffed animals since I rarely buy them.   :blush:  They also love Fur Real Friends and Webkinz.    
  • DVDs--there always seems to be some good DVDs being released around the holidays (and they are often on sale).  Sometimes I pick up a classic that they haven't seen like The Princess Bride or The Goonies.  
  • Board Games--Now that we have a larger age range, I try to find one for the older DC and one for the younger DC.  Apples to Apples, Uno, Settlers of Catan, Sorry, Memory, Chess/checkers, and Farkle have all been well played.  
  • For preschoolers, I try to invest in non-electronic toys (playdough sets, blocks, wooden puzzles, Little People, etc).  My MIL thrives on finding the most obnoxious, loud, flashing toy she can find...and she does it on purpose.   :001_rolleyes:
  • I also use Christmas as a sneaky way to buy things off my Rainbow Resource wishlist that don't fit into our regular homeschool budget.   :leaving:  Puzzles, science kits, art supplies, etc.  

This year I picked up the Playmobil Advent calendar set.  It has a family celebrating Christmas, and I love that it has a nativity and advent wreath.  Santa doesn't visit our house ;) and it's so rare to find non-Santa Christmas items.  I also bought a couple of Origami-A-Day calendars (for my two origami-loving DC).  DS 1 is getting a Cars playdough set, Leap-Frog Scout puppy (my middle DD had one just like it that she wore out), and a small set of colored blocks.  Oldest DD will probably get clothes (or Shopko giftcard) or Warriors books.  DD (age 6) got a set of fashion plates for her birthday last month.  I may pick up the expansion sets for it.  They are all into Pokemon card games right now, so that might be a possibility for those that don't have their own deck.

• Like 1

So many of the things already listed have been huge hits in our house/w/ relatives & friends too.

Additional things that are always huge hits:

Tickets to something (show, concert, sporting event, etc....)

Magazine subscriptions

ETA: Mushing magazine was a bit hit for my dd. So, there are some off-the-beaten-path ones that can make fun gifts! Make is super-fun too.)

If you are looking to upgrade art supplies, Michael's will have great daily deals. I bought DD a really good quality art set with pastels, pencils, markers, watercolors and drawing pencils. She has used it all through the year. On one of our trips I purchased her metallic pencils, black drawing pad and white drawing pencils. That kept her busy for hours.

My oldest is only 12 so I'm not yet there but I love that you said this.

I'm glad you were not offended, and hope no one else was/is. We just threw them in the stocking. Honestly, he had one of those GFs that you hope don't stick around forever the year we started. ;)

• Like 5

Costco has some good stuff right now in their Christmas toy selection. Here are the things my kids loved and wanted:

Star wars encyclopedia books and a Flying spy gadget thingy with a camera- dd13

American girl dogs, bracelet sets, and kitchen items - dd11

Lego sets, star wars sets, huge nerf gun set - ds 9

Electric car to ride in ( way too expensive but he loved it! lol) , big kitchen set, all the star wars figures- ds4

Also!!! Target has easels for only 9.99! they are the ones that are table top ones and are found in the dollar section. There are also paper, and markers, pastels, etc.. to go with it.

For teen boys (of any age) we liked to give the Ripley's Believe it Or Not book or the Guinness Book of World Records (that comes out every year).

Check out Etsy for arm-knit scarves (and PM me if you want to know of a certain young girl selling them! Not my teen) for teen girls and 20-somethings. Very comfy and cute.

Homemade branch tree blocks are a hit with preschoolers. They can be done cheaply if you want to start now and make a set.

Hits that have not been mentioned:

Alex Toys (art supplies)

Quadrilla marble run

Calico Critters

Little People (have survived three generations)

Thomas the Train, the wooden version, (on about the 15th kid and still looks great)

Pottery Barn art tables

Melissa and Doug magic kits, they make several that are different, and made of wood.

Nintendo DS

Portable DVD player (keeps little ones busy in doctor's offices and restaurants)

iPad

Disney movie DVDs

Bikes, scooters, skate boards, etc.

But, bottom line, what gets the most play at our house is video games. Right now I am really loving Disney Infinity. But, there have been some really great games that have come out through the years like the Tycoon series, for example.

And really, Legos need to be mentioned again and again. We are on the fourth generation of users at our house. I still have sets from 1950s maybe? The bricks still fit great with the newer kits.

Without repeating the above, which are all the big hits here, too:

Grade school age:

A perplexus ball from several years ago is still played with now - that was a surprise hit

Anything with which to build Rube Goldberg machines 

A fort kit that I made a la Pinterest - that's also lasted several years.  And no sewing!

For the little (4 yrs old):

Play silks - these are beloved by the older kiddo, too, for set ups and costumes and stage building

Play food, especially the wooden kind with velcro that can be cut

Wooden farm with schleich animals

For the young adult (now 24, but I'll include teen hits, too):

Gift cards for gas and food

Toe socks from REI

Clothes (yep, clothes horse)

Movie tickets

Theater tickets

Condoms (I know, I know, but we are not ready to be grandparents, and when he was a college kid with no cash handy, it was appreciated)

Belts, texting gloves, anything he might not want to actually purchase

Games.  Lots of them.

ETA:  The obvious, for this board:  BOOKS.   :D

Do you by any chance have link to the fort kit you put together?

I'm curious what he does with it? Mine wants to make YouTube videos which I could see being really fun and creative. I just want to make sure it actually gets used, kwim? The bike computer can link straight to Strava saving him time uploading from his Garmin, which isn't always the most reliable in the woods.

He takes it when we travel and uses it at the top of really tall buildings to scare his mom. 😂

He has used it for whitewater rafting, mountain biking, and has even attached it to the dog. He uses it, but doesn't put his movies on YouTube. My parents have a 3D tv, so he likes to watch the movies at their house.

• Like 1

Favorites here over the last few years:

Basher Books

Cartoon Guides to X/Manga Guide to X (these seem to have replaced the Basher books)

Giant Microbes-DD is developing quite a collection of these

We still have and add to Playmobil and Lego, even at 10.

The Basher books are unexpected hits here, I thought they were pretty corny but I guess to children they are funny!

For little kid stocking stuffers, this line of stuffed birds is appreciated:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Goldfinch-Audubon-Plush-Authentic/dp/B000BI6CTE

Honestly our biggest hit ever was already mentioned -- magnatiles!

• Like 1

I'll add a couple of things that have gone over well with my teen girls.

1.  Red cowboy boots for my then-13 yo.  She is 15 now but still loves them and always gets compliments on them, even from complete strangers.  Even two years later, she says this was her favorite gift ever.

2.  Super-soft blankets and throws. 

3.  Special or upgraded backpacks, purses and luggage.

4.  An upholstered chair for her room.  This was when my oldest was about 12.  I bought The Ugliest Chair in the World for $40 off of Craigslist and had it recovered.  It looks amazing.  Recovering chairs isn't cheap, and it takes some planning, but she ended up with an adorable chair that she can use for many years.

5.  Sheepskin rugs for their rooms.  The last one was from Overland.  Amazingly soft.  

Loving reading everyone's suggestions!

I love this thread! Our DSs have enjoyed many of the things listed above (Legos especially). Our big hits in the past have been:

-Scooter boards (the kind with a square platform with wheels)

-real sleeping bags (Slumberjack Big Scout)

-blank cover/inside board books. We gave different colored tapes, gold and silver sharpies, and glitter glue with the books. HUGE hit!

-good rain boots

I'm not sure what I'll do this year. I've got nothing! Hoping this thread gives me some ideas. :)

Last Christmas my boys (early elementary age) got these things called an EZRoller. They love them and play with them almost daily. You sit on them and shift your legs on a bar to move. Kids who come over also love to play on them. They go up to a pretty high weight limit if I remember correctly.

DD#1 will be getting a voice recorder.  I remember how much fun it was to use a tape recorder when I was a kid, and I think DD will love being able to record her own voice.

DD#2 will be getting personalized bookmarks from Frecklebox.  DD#1 already has some with her name and loves them.

Other things they're getting are games, books, and Melissa & Doug stuff.  Oh, and I'm making them rag doll fairies, because I couldn't find any already-made fairy dolls that DD#1 approved of.  Or maybe because I've lost my mind.  Or both. ;)

DS will be getting a Sit-n-Spin.  And diapers.  Probably another thing or two, but he's pretty simple to buy for at this stage. :)

This is just what is going on their lists; they will not be getting all of these things.  (Ages 3, 4 and 7)

Hand or finger puppets

Play silks

Jedi robes (if I can sew them in time)

Oil pastels

Cat's cradle string

Watercolor pencils

Magnetic poetry

Movies

Training chop sticks

Stickers

Puzzles

Legos

Etch a sketch

Gail Gibbons Books

Toy toolbox

Games

Stocking stuffer ideas:

Chapstick

Washi tape

Embroidery floss, fabric, yarn (for my crafty 7yo)

Crayons

Play doh (cheap and takes up a lot of space, lol)

If your kids like the Audubon Birds, wild republic also has a line of stuffed frogs/toads in conjunction with FrogWatch USA that give the frog's call. They're really cute-and good enough to fool the real thing (or, at least, wild bronze, leopard and American toads will respond to them).

When my daughter was four, her very favorite gift was her own hot water bottle!

At about ten, she received a beading loom kit which she continues to use to make gifts; she's now a college graduate.

She has also liked quality art pencils; she received a set of Lyra Ferby pencils in sixth grade which she continues to take wherever she goes (first college, more recently South Korea).

In college, she asked for a juggling set.  That would have been a hit any time throughout the high school years.

Regards,

Kareni