Menu

What would you tip this waitress?

Evergreen State Sue

We went to Applebee's for dinner.  I had a salad and the two men in my life had burgers that came with fries.  The waitress was very attentive and asked us several times if there was anything she could get us.  We couldn't think of anything and politely said no, we were good.  She brought the bill while we were still eating and told us it was only for our convenience, that if we wanted anything else she could help us.  I asked dh if he wanted anything else and he said no.  I got my credit card out, placed it with the bill, the waitress asked if she could run it for us, we said yes.  She brought the bill back and everything we ordered was fine.  Then my husband said he thought there were bottomless fries with the burgers so the two guys agreed they wanted more.  We called for the waitress and asked for more fries and she said she could only give us more fries if the order wasn't closed out.  Since she already closed the order out (ran our card) we couldn't get more fries.  

Don't you think the waitress should have asked if they wanted more fries?  She just kept asking if we wanted anything else and because I didn't order a burger, I didn't know they were bottomless.  So how would you tip this waitress? 

I would tip her. She did her job--she kept asking if you all wanted anything else.

I kinda think it was your guys' responsibility to get the fries when she asked.

I don't know if maybe she couldn't just get more fries for them--like maybe it's a policy or something, and maybe she could bend the rule, but maybe not.

They don't make much, those waitresses. I wouldn't stiff her a tip over it.

ETA: I mean I would just give her the regular tip--15%.

• Like 21

I would have asked to speak to a manager.  If she's been trained not to serve after closing a bill, a manager is the only one who could override that. If she misunderstood policy, the manager could have explained that to her.  If that's their policy and they wouldn't bend it, I'd probably be irritated.

I probably would have tipped her the usual amount, though. 

That sounds like a weird policy. We used to attend club meetings at a restaurant and we'd pay our bill halfway through but the waitress continued to refill our drinks until the meeting broke up. Wouldn't have occurred to me to not ask for a refill just because we'd paid the bill. Shame on Applebees for advertising endless fries but not training the staff to actually offer them! 

• Like 17

I would tip her. She did her job--she kept asking if you all wanted anything else.

I kinda think it was your guys' responsibility to get the fries when she asked.

I don't know if maybe she couldn't just get more fries for them--like maybe it's a policy or something, and maybe she could bend the rule, but maybe not.

They don't make much, those waitresses. I wouldn't stiff her a tip over it.

ETA: I mean I would just give her the regular tip--15%.

ITA.

This is probably a policy thing. Ask for a manager if you need to override it, but she did a great job and should receive a tip!

We ate at Olive Garden last week. Our Appetizer, my main course and my dd's main course were all wrong although the waitress did her best on a busy night. The manager comped the meal, although it was corrected and we didn't ask. We still tipped 20% of what the meal would have been.

I should add we live in Texas where wait staff is paid diddly and depends upon tips!

• Like 2

20%.

The no fries after close out is probably a food cost/accounting reality. They probably "ring up" the bottomless fry refills to track food costs.

I would, however, have asked for the Manager so the Manager could make the right decision and the waitress not get in trouble.

• Like 11

She just did what they tell her to do. I'd tip her whatever I was going to tip her in the first place. And I would have asked for more fries when she asked if I needed anything else.

20%.

The no fries after close out is probably a food cost/accounting reality. They probably "ring up" the bottomless fry refills to track food costs.

I would, however, have asked for the Manager so the Manager could make the right decision and the waitress not get in trouble.

Sounds like the waitress was great. The only other thing she could have done was ask the manager herself what to do in that situation. But I wouldn't have withheld any percentage of my tip for that. She asked multiple times if she could get you anything else. I actually like it when we get the bill while we're still eating - saves time, especially if we're trying to catch a movie or something.

• Like 3

Good responses, all.  We normally tip 20%, but we gave her closer to 16%.  After she explained we couldn't have any more fries, she just left.  We never thought about asking for the manager.  If she came by again, I would have asked her again about the policy and how we could get around it.  It seems like she could have offered an alternative like checking with the manager.  I wouldn't want her to get in trouble with her boss by asking to speak to the manager.  After talking about it at the table, we just wanted to get home by that time and didn't want to wait for the fries. 

Normally I don't pay the bill early, but since I knew we had dessert at home, I couldn't imagine what else we would get that would change the bill amount.  Even if I knew they had bottomless fries, I wouldn't think that would change the total.  I had never heard of a policy like that so I'm sharing with you so you are aware. 

• Like 1

I don't know.  I don't mind getting a bill before I'm done, but the whole thing seemed rather pushy.  She should have waited until you were done to ring it out.

I would have given her an ok tip.

Why is it pushy to ring it up when the customer asks you to ring it up?

I have the opposite problem all the time.  I'm on a tight time frame for whatever reason, so I order things I know will be quick, eat quickly, and then sit there waiting for someone to take my credit card, or to bring it back.  I like it when the bill comes early and I can pay it then, or wait. 

I don't understand why you can't bring fries to someone who has rung out, but it's unlikely that she's the one who made the rule.  

I almost always tip 20%, and this wouldn't change that.

• Like 3

I do not think you or your group did anything wrong. Including not asking for the fries earlier. I would have viewed that just like getting refills of soda. She should have gone to her manager if she couldn't get the fries on her own. I'd be shocked if the manager going to help. Her not going to her manager would have caused me to go for a tip of 15% rather than a higher one. 15% is a decent tip for average service, which is what she gave you. And I am generally a 20% tipper, if not more but she really should have done something more here, by getting help from above, for a reasonable request from a customer.

• Like 2

I would've tipped her as normal.  I would have also asked for the manager to override for the fries thing.  They can do that.  Waitresses can't.  FWIW, I've only ever had a waitress ask once if we wanted more of something bottomless.  Usually they just ask if we need/want anything else.

• Like 1

I agree that you shouldn't dock her tip.  I also agree that your family should have asked for the fries before paying.  And I also agree that if they really really wanted more fries, asking for a manager would be a better solution than taxing the waitress.

• Like 4

I would've tipped her as normal.  I would have also asked for the manager to override for the fries thing.  They can do that.  Waitresses can't.  FWIW, I've only ever had a waitress ask once if we wanted more of something bottomless.  Usually they just ask if we need/want anything else.

The only place we go to that has bottomless fries is Red Robin, and the wait staff there have always asked if we want more fries.  I didn't know they had bottomless fries at Applebee's so I didn't think to ask if my guys wanted more fries.  My dh told me later he wanted more fries, but he was still eating the ones he had.  He was going to ask later, which he did, but asked too late. 

Lesson learned for the next time.  Thanks for sharing your opinions y'all!

You tip the normal appropriate amount.  Waitstaff can not just ask the kitchen for more fries.  It has to go into a computer and print out in the kitchen.  If there is no more ticket, then there is no way for her to ask.  This isn't Mel's dinner with a girl writing it up on a dup pad.  Places like that count everything going in and out and nothing moves without a ticket.  

She asked if you needed anything else more than once.  It is possible they are trained not to mention bottomless items.  If you want them you ask for them and probably eat them.  If waitstaff mentions them, you might only think you want them, don't eat them and they are wasted, driving up costs for nothing in the end. 

• Like 8

Regular tip but you should have asked for manager to get you more fries. Kitchen staff can be bullies and she can't get food without ticket running the free fries through the kitchen. A manager could have just gotten them and told you about the policy.

My thoughts exactly.  We'd have been tipping either $6 or 20% (whichever was higher).  Our minimum tip is $2/person. Period.  With good service (which it sounds like you had), we go with at least 20%.

• Like 1

You tip the normal appropriate amount.  Waitstaff can just ask the kitchen for more fries.  It has to go into a computer and print out in the kitchen.  If there is no more ticket, then there is no way for her to ask.  This isn't Mel's dinner with a girl writing it up on a dup pad.  Places like that count everything going in and out and nothing moves without a ticket.  

She asked if you needed anything else more than once.  It is possible they are trained not to mention bottomless items.  If you want them you ask for them and probably eat them.  If waitstaff mentions them, you might only think you want them, don't eat them and they are wasted, driving up costs for nothing in the end. 

I never knew this.  (I assume you meant "can't just ask")  Good to know. 

But in any case, yeah, the waitress asked if anyone wanted anything else, and everyone said no.  Once you had the bill you asked your husband again and he said no.   If I was a waitress it would seem clear to me you were done.  

(A person in that situation could say "hmm I'm not sure, I might want more fries [or dessert or whatever] in a few minutes" thus leaving options open.) 

• Like 4

I was a waitress for a few years and if that had been me, I would not have said I couldn't get more fries.  I would have gone directly to my manager and told him what I had done (billed and rung out a table before they were even finished their meal) and I would have asked how I could get the customer more fries.  

That was - in no way - the customer's fault.

• Like 12

The waitress kept asking you if you wanted anything else.

It sounds to me like more fries were only desired because your DH thought they were free.

They weren't free at that point.

I guess I just don't see what the problem is here :laugh: !  I generally give 20% unless someone is really truly awful.   To me it's just part of the "eating out" cost.

• Like 3

We went to Applebee's for dinner.  I had a salad and the two men in my life had burgers that came with fries.  The waitress was very attentive and asked us several times if there was anything she could get us.  We couldn't think of anything and politely said no, we were good.  She brought the bill while we were still eating and told us it was only for our convenience, that if we wanted anything else she could help us.  I asked dh if he wanted anything else and he said no.  I got my credit card out, placed it with the bill, the waitress asked if she could run it for us, we said yes.  She brought the bill back and everything we ordered was fine.  Then my husband said he thought there were bottomless fries with the burgers so the two guys agreed they wanted more.  We called for the waitress and asked for more fries and she said she could only give us more fries if the order wasn't closed out.  Since she already closed the order out (ran our card) we couldn't get more fries.  

Don't you think the waitress should have asked if they wanted more fries?  She just kept asking if we wanted anything else and because I didn't order a burger, I didn't know they were bottomless.  So how would you tip this waitress? 

She asked you twice whether you wanted anything. You said no, twice.

She asked you whether she could run your check. You said yes. To me, this means you were done with your meal.

How many more times should she have asked you???

I would tip the normal amount.

• Like 9

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine to push the bill on me while I'm still eating. It's not for my convenience but for her own. And then it negatively affected whether I could get something? I am a good tipper and I have a lot of sympathy for what servers deal with but this was bad bad waitressing. I would have tipped her less.

• Like 5

This is Applebee's fault.  I'd be writing to complain.

It's not your fault for misunderstanding if no one told you.  Maybe the waitress could have explained the problem beforehand - specifically saying if you don't get your refills now you won't be able to.  But if she was told not to do that, then it's the restaurant's fault.  If she just didn't know, it's the restaurant's fault.  If she just forgot, that's really still the restaurant's fault for having a rule like that.  And while an exceptional waitress would have gone to management to fix the problem, why did management create the problem in the first place?  

Don't advertise something if you don't tell the customer the full rules.  Even if you do tell the customer, this seems pretty petty.  I mean, do they want repeat customers or not?  And do they really want you going on a forum and telling about your experience and driving potential customers away?

• Like 5

I don't understand why you can't bring fries to someone who has rung out, but it's unlikely that she's the one who made the rule.

Accounting - food cost. They still ring up the fries even though there is not additional cost to the customer. This is how they track the cost of the food provided.

• Like 2

20%  She did her job, was attentive, asked if you wanted anything else -which is when your hubby should have requested more fries if he wanted them.  Waiting until the card has been run through is not the time to ask for some more fries.  You ask when the waitress is standing there asking if you want anything else. 

Don't expect her to be a mind reader. 

• Like 3

She did everything correctly, as I read your description.  She was courteous, and more than once offered to supply your family with anything needed.  It was not her fault that your husband decided that he wanted, after the waitress freely was granted permission by your family to close the account, to eat more fries. 

This waitress sounds like one of the rare wait-staff who merits the now more common 20% tip. 

P.S.  I just checked the Applebee's online menu, which in large print mentions refills on fries.  The "bottomless" option, according to multiple online sources, exists only on Mondays. 

• Like 1

Going to be the oddball here. I'd drop from %20 to 15%. She knows the policies on refills, the customer has no way to know they cannot get more after the bill has been rung up. Since there are refill options on the table, she should have notified you of the policy before ringing your bill out. I consider 15%to be an adaquate tip for good service. 20% for top notch. Not notifying us of the fry policy or offering to get a manager to address the problem when it came up dropped her down a notch in my opinion.

• Like 6

Just an FYI...about fries...

Red Robin has all-you-want fries and a waitress once offered us some as soon as we sat down bc she heard my kids say they were hungry. So we ask for fries often when we're just seated.

Also, there is a list of free dipping sauces you can have, too. And a second list of premium dipping sauces that are 50 or 75 cents.

• Like 2

for pete's sake . . . she asked multiple times if you wanted anything and your family repeatedly said "no".  - she should not have been expected to read your minds and ask specifically if someone wanted more fries!  your dh and son apparently DID know the fries were bottomless - they have NO excuse for complaining no one asked them if they wanted more fries when they were repeatedly asked if they wanted anything else - and repeatedly said "no".

I'd have given her at least a 20%.

She should have waited to close out the ticket, but this wouldn't have affected my tip. I may have asked to speak to the manager, as s/he could override the no-more-fries policy, though. Sure, they could have asked for more fries one of the times she asked if you needed anything else, but I don't think DH and DS did anything wrong by waiting until they had finished eating the fries that were already on their plates.

Yeah, I would rather have the bill early than have to wait around for it.  We're busy people.  :)  As long as they are not pestering me for my credit card.

I think bottomless fries are a terrible idea in the first place, so I don't think the wait staff should ask if people want more of them.

Also, it annoys me when the wait staff informs my kids that their drink gets free refills or the like.  Maybe I don't want them to have more sugar / fat / whatever regardless of the cost.  Even if they ask me if it's OK, it still annoys me because now the kids have it in their heads that they want more, and I get to play the bad guy once again.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the person who wants more fries to ask for them.

I also don't think it's unusual that you stop ordering more food once the bill is paid.

• Like 2

for pete's sake . . . she asked multiple times if you wanted anything and your family repeatedly said "no".  - she should not have been expected to read your minds and ask specifically if someone wanted more fries!  your dh and son apparently DID know the fries were bottomless - they have NO excuse for complaining no one asked them if they wanted more fries when they were repeatedly asked if they wanted anything else - and repeatedly said "no".

I'd have given her at least a 20%.

No need to be so snippy. They didn't need any more fries until they were finished with the ones they already had. How were they supposed to know they couldn't get any more if they paid the check early?

• Like 5

I was a waitress for a few years and if that had been me, I would not have said I couldn't get more fries. I would have gone directly to my manager and told him what I had done (billed and rung out a table before they were even finished their meal) and I would have asked how I could get the customer more fries.

I completely agree.
  • Like 1

I never knew this.  (I assume you meant "can't just ask")  Good to know. 

But in any case, yeah, the waitress asked if anyone wanted anything else, and everyone said no.  Once you had the bill you asked your husband again and he said no.   If I was a waitress it would seem clear to me you were done.  

(A person in that situation could say "hmm I'm not sure, I might want more fries [or dessert or whatever] in a few minutes" thus leaving options open.) 

Opps!  Yes, missed that.  I did mean "can't".  Changed it.  Thank you. 

I was a waitress for a few years and if that had been me, I would not have said I couldn't get more fries.  I would have gone directly to my manager and told him what I had done (billed and rung out a table before they were even finished their meal) and I would have asked how I could get the customer more fries.  

:iagree: 100%

• Like 1

No need to be so snippy. They didn't need any more fries until they were finished with the ones they already had. How were they supposed to know they couldn't get any more if they paid the check early?

Because paying the check is a signal that they're done?    I've never worked in a restaurant, but that just makes sense to me.   I can't imagine paying my check and then asking for more food - maybe, another splash of coffee if someone's walking around with a pot.  But even that - probably not, because I've signaled that I'm ready to go, and the staff would probably be happy to clear my table and open it up to someone who is waiting. 

We often finish dinner not sure if we're going to have dessert or not.  (We usually end up not.)   So we don't ask for the check till we decide.  If we are offered the check early, and aren't in a hurry but want more time to decide (or linger over coffee) we'd say we aren't quite ready.   Isn't that typical?

• Like 3

Because paying the check is a signal that they're done? I've never worked in a restaurant, but that just makes sense to me. I can't imagine paying my check and then asking for more food - maybe, another splash of coffee if someone's walking around with a pot. But even that - probably not, because I've signaled that I'm ready to go, and the staff would probably be happy to clear my table and open it up to someone who is waiting.

We often finish dinner not sure if we're going to have dessert or not. (We usually end up not.) So we don't ask for the check till we decide. If we are offered the check early, and aren't in a hurry but want more time to decide (or linger over coffee) we'd say we aren't quite ready. Isn't that typical?

We routinely get drink refills after paying the check. The customer should not be expected to know that fry refills are any different.

And the OP didn't ask for the check. The waitress brought it while they were still eating.

• Like 5

Because paying the check is a signal that they're done?    I've never worked in a restaurant, but that just makes sense to me.   I can't imagine paying my check and then asking for more food - maybe, another splash of coffee if someone's walking around with a pot.  But even that - probably not, because I've signaled that I'm ready to go, and the staff would probably be happy to clear my table and open it up to someone who is waiting. 

We often finish dinner not sure if we're going to have dessert or not.  (We usually end up not.)   So we don't ask for the check till we decide.  If we are offered the check early, and aren't in a hurry but want more time to decide (or linger over coffee) we'd say we aren't quite ready.   Isn't that typical?

They likely thought of it as not much different from asking for a refill on a drink. I understand that it's not the same thing, but customers don't know, nor should they be expected to know, all of a restaurant's internal policies. In any case, the waitress should have done something to resolve the issue. So she can't do a refill of fries on a closed ticket. Then open another ticket and comp it; if she can't do that, her manager certainly could. Next time the OP's family will know not to pay early.

• Like 5

We routinely get drink refills after paying the check. The customer should not be expected to know that fry refills are any different.

And the OP didn't ask for the check. The waitress brought it while they were still eating.

Exactly.  If I was the waitress, I would have felt responsible for this and I would have fixed it.  I definitely wouldn't have told the customer that I couldn't get them more fries.  

• Like 3

It's kind of a pet peeve of mine to push the bill on me while I'm still eating. It's not for my convenience but for her own. And then it negatively affected whether I could get something? I am a good tipper and I have a lot of sympathy for what servers deal with but this was bad bad waitressing. I would have tipped her less.

I am sorry, but I don't understand. Where is the bad waitressing? She asked (twice!) if they needed anything else. Should the waitress have specified "Can I get you another entree? Appetizer? Fries? Drink Refill? Dessert?" 

I think most people would think that was slightly overboard.

As for when to bring the bill, that can be a tricky decision for a waitress. (I know...I've waitressed more than once in my life.) Many people like having it as soon as possible. Others (like yourself) do not. A waitress isn't a mind reader, so she will try to do it at a convenient time for her that doesn't seem to be rushing the customer.

Clearly, I can find no reason to tip the waitress less.

• Like 4

Casual thought:  The waitress may have been nearing the end of her shift.  (This thought for any who thought she was precipitous in bringing the check.) 

She enquired to make sure that her "table" had what was needed, received clear verbal authorization to close the account, and did so. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's wrong to ask the manager for an override on the fries.  I just think it's not the waitress's fault, when by all indications the family was "done."

I think it would be obnoxious for her to say "are you SUUURE you don't want more fries?" or "I can check you out but no more fries after that!"

• Like 1

I am sorry, but I don't understand. Where is the bad waitressing? She asked (twice!) if they needed anything else. Should the waitress have specified "Can I get you another entree? Appetizer? Fries? Drink Refill? Dessert?" 

I think most people would think that was slightly overboard.

As for when to bring the bill, that can be a tricky decision for a waitress. (I know...I've waitressed more than once in my life.) Many people like having it as soon as possible. Others (like yourself) do not. A waitress isn't a mind reader, so she will try to do it at a convenient time for her that doesn't seem to be rushing the customer.

Clearly, I can find no reason to tip the waitress less.

Bad waitressing is shoving the check on someone when they get their food. It's pushy and it's rude and communicates, "I don't want any delay at all in getting you out of here." Bringing the check promptly when the meal is done is nice for people who are in a hurry but many people like to sit around and chat for a while and not feel like they're being rushed out of the restaurant. Plus, many servers use this as a a "Goodbye, you're not going to see me visit your table again" and I never know if my particular server is one of those types. Not explaining the policy ahead of time is bad waitressing and that's not "expecting her to be a mind reader". It's expecting her to be clear about how things work. That is the server's job, not the customer's.

I've waited tables before as well. Normally, I'm pretty laid back and understanding, and I would still have tipped her, but less than my normal tip.

• Like 3