Menu

Do you(usually) vote the same as your significant other?

No, we move around. Sometimes one of us is the protest vote while the other logs in a conventional pick. We are in a very Republican area, so our 3rd party votes are pretty much for show. :tongue_smilie:

I was sad to see that last time the Green party was not on the ballot. I wish we had a plethora of parties and idea to choose from. Then we could make them duke it out in a House of Commons kind of way.

I have been voting libertarian for as long as I can remember and my dh had been voting democrat. This year we were both on the Ron Paul train but it seems to have jumped track and I have no idea how either one of us are going to vote now.

My brothers cancel each other out every year and now feel the responsiblity to continue doing so.

We just had state elections here in my state in Australia. I was telling Dh I didnt really know who to vote for, so he told me, as if I didn't have a clue. Actually, I do have a clue, I just find them all pretty pathetic!

Anyway, no, apparently we don't agree. I am pretty left wing- actually, I put environment before economics- wheras he is not so environmentally caring and far more to the right, although he is no where near as "right" as many here! :)

Yes, I am so glad that my dh and I are so on the same page, when it comes to politics, faith, issues, etc. We agree more with one another than with anyone else! It is so nice to always have someone right here to talk to, who already agrees with you, without having to clarify, and justify, and defend. I grew up a Republican in a family of Democrats, and that was a pain. :boxing_smiley:

Erica

Guest Virginia Dawn

Yes, most of the time. It is possible we have voted differently on minor issues, but I can't remember when.

Our thinking on politics runs very similar, and we discuss a lot. The differences are minimal.

I never used to be enthusiastic about politics and hardly voted, until dh discovered third party politics. Now I find it much more interesting and informative. Thinking "out of the box" opens your eyes.

We almost always vote the same. I have more time to research things and he trusts my judgement. He reads some campaign literature but I point out why I am voting for x or y and he almost always agrees. I would say that twenty years ago, we may have differed some but in the last five years or so, I think our ballots are probably identical. We discuss things like bond issues or constitutional amendments. I couldn't have gotten married to someone who was of a different political idealogy than me. It is too important to me. We do discuss politics some because it is one of my interests and he doesn't mind talking about that. Now my interests in crime and his interest in physics doesn't get much conversation around here.

Though my husband and I are both libertarian in philosophy, I never vote it because it will never happen, where he has.

So, our views are the same politically, but I am more of a realist than he is.

Does that make sense?

I disagree. If people start at the local level, electing more third party candidates, then move to state, and finally federal, we will see a change. I think more now than in many years, this country is ripe for a multi-party system. Don't give up on your views and finding people willing to represent them.

Just curious.

I've always been fascinated by James Carville and ....Mary Matlin? Is that right? Anyone here like them?

Yeah, I've always wondered how they make that work.

Dh and I vote the same way, not by design... but just because we share the same political leanings. I suppose I could be okay with us voting different ways... but it sure would feel weird.

I've always been fascinated by James Carville and ....Mary Matlin? Is that right? Anyone here like them?

:

Mary Matalin's got her Ragin' Cajun, and I've got my Cranky Yankee! :)

My dh is never home when the Democrats call for $$ so I stop them right away to save them some time since they're not talking to the resident Democrat. One woman sounded shocked and started asking me about how this marriage could possibly work so I asked her if she'd ever heard of Mary Matalin and James Carville!

We always agree not to do yard signs or bumper stickers. But there is a Dem. donkey and a Rep. elephant ornament on our Christmas tree every year!

I have no idea.

Although my dh and I often discuss politics and social issues, actual vote made is totally off limits.

Dh feels very strongly that all votes should be private in order for people to genuinely be free to make their own choice.

His response when asked who/what he voted is an adament, "None of your d**n business."

He gives the same answer when someone asks what politcal party he is affiliated with.:coolgleamA:

I just found out his politcal party 2 years ago!

I tease him all the time "Oh if only i'd known before we married!";)

I vote the same as him if it's something I don't care about and he does.

I vote my conscience. If that means he votes one way on something that I vote another on, then we vote differently. :) We are both full US of A citizens and are able to exercise our individual opinions at the polls. :D

We always vote the same way. I am fascinated by Mary Matalin and James Carville. There's NO WAY I could do that.

I love Mary but not so keen on James. You're right, though, what an interesting and stimulating marriage they must have! It would be fun to have dinner with them, don't you think? :001_smile:

My husband and I both usually vote in the same party, but have voted for different candidates in the primaries. We have differed in our votes in local decisions, too, but that's about it. We agree, mostly.

PAM