Menu

Please don't name your h.s. "Lastname Academy"

Thank you for sharing your perspective, OP.

I allowed DD to name our homeschool, and if we decide to go the whole way through (and not transfer to a local charter at the last minute for the "paper," I may need to consider a name change.  I suspect that "Rivendell Academy" may have the same issues as does "Lastname Academy." ;)

There is a local private school here called Rivendell. There is also a Lorien Wood, we have a lot of friends there. 

Dh and I like to joke that we think our school name should be The Shire or Mordor. Depending on the vibe of the day. ;)

• Like 11

What is the point of having a name of a homeschool on a transcript? If there are 100,000 "Anyname" Academy homeschools, for example, what does the employer or educational institution need this information for? Why do you have to legally provide a name - a name that really has no other meaning than to say your children were privately tutored (by parents)? 

• Like 1

We have no name for our homeschool.  I haven't had to provide my high school name for some 30 years and have had many teaching jobs.  I would not respect the culture of a place of employment that was so rigid that they could not deal with a different mode of education.  If that was their sole reason for rejecting me then I would not want to work there anyway.  

• Like 7

A student who graduated from a virtual academy that used K12 (and in most states, it would be a public school) would receive a diploma/transcript with the actual name of the virtual academy (e.g., California Virtual Academy) and not K12. K12 itself does not keep any records, as it is a publisher like Rod and Staff or ABeka or BJUP.

Sigh.  That is not what I meant at all.  I specifically stated that there are clearinghouses where every student's name who has taken courses is recorded at the post high school level.  So, if John Doe took classes at Jane Doe Community College and made Ds and Fs and had As and Bs from Hill of Beans U and then applies to a different college and just pretends like his classes at Jane Doe CC don't matter.....think again.  Universities will know he attended Jane Doe. 

What I was stating in terms of k12, is not the virtual academy, but that one day I believe there will be a database just like the college level one.  Every student's name will be recorded as to where they attended and if it comes back without a match, it will most likely be assumed to be a small unaccredited private school or homeschool, etc.   I was not referring to K12 the company at all.

Well, unless we change things, DD will legally graduate from Home Life Academy, since that's the name of our cover school (and in TN, she's legally considered a private school student). I'm pretty sure that screams "Homeschooled" if nothing does!

We use "Mount Parnassus Academy" as our homeschool name, but it has no official existence except for filling in a blank and making DD happy. I have found it useful to have a separate name, though- HLA is already in the data base with someone else's address, since a LOT of TN homeschoolers are registered with them.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if we can change it or not, since it's no longer an active school, you know? DH is 36. I'll have to look into that.

??? But it was never a school so it's not like it's going to have a method for submitting to get a new transcript or something. Like, there's hopefully no forms he needs to submit to his mother to do this. The transcript was always just something she made up to reflect his experience. Presumably he could just retype it and change the name. It's like not there's an official seal or anything. Assuming his mother is still alive, presumably she could still just sign it. In the majority of states, you don't name your homeschool at all so I can't imagine there's any legal requirement to apply for a job using it.

I'm with others that this has simply not come up in my life. If I was applying for a job in my hometown, I might list my high school since it was a very respected school - one of the best in the state. But since that's not happening, it's not even on my resume.

• Like 6

What is the point of having a name of a homeschool on a transcript? If there are 100,000 "Anyname" Academy homeschools, for example, what does the employer or educational institution need this information for? Why do you have to legally provide a name - a name that really has no other meaning than to say your children were privately tutored (by parents)? 

If you provide a transcript, there will be a school name on it (most of the time). Also, some employers do extensive background checks on their employees, which is why they'd want a school name.

I don't know why an employer would need a transcript, but obviously a college would.

In some states, applicants who were privately tutored would be in a different admissions category than students who were privately educated, or publicly educated, or even home educated (homeschooling being a different thing than tutored).

We used to joke about what we'd call our home school -- I'm glad we never actually used it!   I don't even remember having to list the name of my own high school on anything.

I once worked for a large stock exchange company, where I had to be...doggonit, I forget what, but I had to provide the name of every elementary school (four of them), junior high (three) and high school (four) that I attended. Each one was contacted, and my boss came back and said that a couple of them had never heard of me. So then I had to explain that my name was *this* until I went to live with my mother and stepfather, who adopted me and so then my name was *this* from sixth grade on. And he contacted those schools again.

• Like 1

Well, unless we change things, DD will legally graduate from Home Life Academy, since that's the name of our cover school (and in TN, she's legally considered a private school student). I'm pretty sure that screams "Homeschooled" if nothing does!

We use "Mount Parnassus Academy" as our homeschool name, but it has no official existence except for filling in a blank and making DD happy. I have found it useful to have a separate name, though- HLA is already in the data base with someone else's address, since a LOT of TN homeschoolers are registered with them.

Haha...well I'm slow because I thought hey that kinda sounds like a real school.  Uhh..I guess not.

I suppose I need to refer to our homeschool as something at some point, but I'm not sure what.

Our homeschool doesn't have a name.  Not sure why we'd name it at all.

On my own dc's college applications, we wrote "homeschool" in the blank for "name of high school."  It was never a problem.  In fact, EK's college actually has a "Home School Scholarship" and they awarded her a $2,000 per year scholarship just BECAUSE she was homeschooled. 

Now that I am teaching other people's children full-time, my students asked if we could have a school name.  Our property has lots of dogwood trees, which I love, so we are now Dogwood Home School.  I didn't use "Academy" because I just don't like the way it sounds.  No offense intended.

• Like 7

There is a local private school here called Rivendell. There is also a Lorien Wood, we have a lot of friends there.

Dh and I like to joke that we think our school name should be The Shire or Mordor. Depending on the vibe of the day. ;)

Mine is the Bag End School for the Vertically Challenged and Perpetually Famished. At least that's what I joke.

In all seriousness, it is Something SomethingElse Academy. It sounds professional and does not have anything related to our name or address, but it also reflects a Bible verse, one of our favorite books, and our country living life.

I can see why people don't use Lastname Academy. It smacks too much of the "Johnny got all As, Love, Mom" vibe, and correct or not, invites assumptions about homeschoolers.

Our oldest has Home Life Academy on his transcript b/c they were our cover back then.  It has never been an issue.  :)

• Like 2

Listing some obscure name to not sound like you were homeschooled seems deceptive to me.

It seems infinitely practical and prudent to me. Not in the least bit deceptive. Some states require a home school be named. Some even recommend NOT using the last name because it is so common and there will be 15 schools named Smith Academy or the education department may add something to the name to distinguish it from others. It's not as though "Lastname Academy" is legally required for homeschoolers. Quite the contrary. It's actually recommended it NOT be used. How is not using it deceptive?

What is the goal in filling out the form? Isn't it common to try to put all information in the best light?  Not to lie, not to deceive, but to have the best chance that accomplishments will reflect well on us.  We all bring past experiences and judgements to every interaction. When applying somewhere, part of the problem is trying to navigate those waters. How can we get past the initial judgements so we can be seen for who we are and not for the surface findings?

I see no need to wave a homeschooling flag. I see no need to make it an issue.  I would still check a homeschool box if there was one. If I was asked about the school I would go into detail about the education, not just say homeschool.

Why is listing the name of someone you admire and strive to emulate deceptive? Public schools often use names. Why not just say Local Public School 125? That's what it is. Just a local public school. Why get lofty about it?

Our actual homeschool name is significant. If ever asked there will be plenty for my daughter to say besides, "Oh, I was homeschooled."  It will be a chance to delve deeply into the details of her education. Those details are something that I have no problems raising the flag about and extolling the virtues of, which is why I chose the name. It's a signal going up to say this is who we are and what we're about.  "Lastname Academy" doesn't come close to giving any sort of picture of what we do.

So yeah, come to think of it, "Lastname Academy" would be deceptive....

• Like 1

Now that I am teaching other people's children full-time, my students asked if we could have a school name.  Our property has lots of dogwood trees, which I love, so we are now Dogwood Home School.  I didn't use "Academy" because I just don't like the way it sounds.  No offense intended.

I didn't use "academy." Some people where I used to live got quite snooty about "academy" vs "school." whatever. :rolleyes:

Personally, *I* would call it Dogwood School, or Dogwood Learning Center, not Dogwood Home School.

On the rare occasion that a form for something requires a school name specifically, we do "Rowhouse School" or sometimes "Rowhouse Academy" because we live in... yep... a rowhouse. Since I have the authority to graduate my kids as homeschoolers, I seriously doubt I'll put that on their transcript down the line though, unless for some reason it turns out to be needed. I think trying to mask from admissions people that the kids are homeschooled will probably be pretty futile.

On my own dc's college applications, we wrote "homeschool" in the blank for "name of high school."  It was never a problem.  In fact, EK's college actually has a "Home School Scholarship" and they awarded her a $2,000 per year scholarship just BECAUSE she was homeschooled. 

It gets right to the point.  If I come up with a name they may not know what kind of school it is. 

we are with public charter homeschool programs, so that name appears on the transcripts.  But, privately, and on my blog, we refer to our homeschool as

"Cliffs of Insanity Day Academy" and for High school, it is "St. Jenn's School for exceptional teens"  I am demur when asked what my kids are exceptional in.... :laugh:

I want to get a Staff sticker for Cliffs on Insanity Day Academy to put on my car, that would be cool :thumbup1:

but seriously, I would never really name our schools like that, for reasons the OP hinted at, I'd never want my kids to feel uncomfortable or judged.  If I had to name our school, we would have gone with a street name.

• Like 4

Ds did this too. His transcript does say Lastname Academy. His diploma just says high school - no school name. He prefers to just put homeschool, but if he ever wanted it to be under another name, I'd create a new transcript and diploma to match.

I didn't use "academy." Some people where I used to live got quite snooty about "academy" vs "school." whatever. :rolleyes:

Personally, *I* would call it Dogwood School, or Dogwood Learning Center, not Dogwood Home School.

Now that we're outsourcing most classes, one of my main roles is helping her navigate various social and professional situations. I'm tempted to use "finishing school"...

Dogwood Finishing School  

;)

• Like 4

In our state we are required to name our homeschool, so I chose a formal sounding name. Our state department is very twitchy about letting anyone change the name, so it can be a hassle if you start out with "My Little Pony Academy" and want to change it later. If I wanted to enroll my kids in public high school, I am required (by district policy) to provide a middle school transcript on official letterhead with our legal homeschool name across the top. Stupid policy, but I always laugh to picture someone showing up with "My Little Pony Academy" across the top in big letters. You would be surprised how many people in our state have chosen silly names like that, but the most popular school name by far is "Lastname Homeschool". I'm glad I went ahead and chose a formal sounding name that didn't include our last name. I hope it will help people take me more seriously if we ever have to utilize the public schools for any reason.

I do want my kids to have a schoolish sounding name to write down if they ever do something like apply for a job at The Gap. I don't think there's anything dishonest about writing a schoolish sounding name in the box marked "High School", so that they won't have to spend the entire interview discussing whether they are socialized enough to fold and arrange polo shirts. Obviously, they would check the "homeschool" box when applying for college, but our homeschool name will still be on their transcript cause that's just expected in our state. I think it's similar to teaching my kids how to answer cashiers when they ask what grade they're in. They don't need to say they're homeschooled unless someone asks directly; they just need to answer with the grade they would be in if they attended public school so the checker can finish ringing up the items and we can all move on with our lives.

• Like 8

On a related note, the Land's End School Uniform catalog arrived yesterday (don't know how we got on that mailing list), and one of my daughters was looking through it and realized that anyone can order a polo shirt with any name embroidered on it. Now she wants me to order her a polo with the name of our homeschool on it . . . and maybe a cute plaid skirt and some Mary Jane's to go with it.

I said, "Where on earth would you wear that, honey?" She claims she will happily wear her uniform every Monday, and it will get lots of use. I think she has plaid skirt envy, because several of her friends go to private school. So funny!

• Like 17

When I signed up for an educator account, Staples took it upon themselves to name us the "Loveschool" I get a lot of flak for that every time an advertisement comes in the mail. Terribly embarrassing, in part because the root of the problem was obviously sloppy handwriting on my part. I'm blushing just typing this in. Ridiculous!

• Like 7

When I signed up for an educator account, Staples took it upon themselves to name us the "Loveschool" I get a lot of flak for that every time an advertisement comes in the mail. Terribly embarrassing, in part because the root of the problem was obviously sloppy handwriting on my part. I'm blushing just typing this in. Ridiculous!

:lol:

• Like 2

We aren't required to name our homeschool in VT, but this thread is making me think of my grammar school. I went to "the New School" which was named that because no one could come up with a name. I always had to repeat myself when asked where I went to school and frequently got "Is that a real school?" as a response. They have since renamed themselves "The Pennfield School" which sounds more like a real school at least. :-) 

• Like 4

Haha...well I'm slow because I thought hey that kinda sounds like a real school.  Uhh..I guess not.

Well, there's this:

http://sweethomeschools.org/SHSHS/

And I'd never, ever, move to Sweet Home ISD if I planned on enrolling my kids in their high school. That is NOT something I want on their transcript... I don't care that it's a real, public, B&M high school. Lastname Academy sounds better than *that*, at least with our last name - with my maiden name it'd sound just weird since Americans have serious trouble spelling/pronouncing that one - it's way too ethnic (Dutch). If I were to do Lastname Academy I might maybe pick my mom's maiden name, but I don't think I'm going to do Lastname Academy anyway.

Listing some obscure name to not sound like you were homeschooled seems deceptive to me.

For me it wasn't. Ds's transcript is signed by me, the parent principal. I listed that we follow our state department of education code, which is anyone looked up the number is the homeschool statute. I enclosed a short cover letter that shows the transcript is from an individual. I operate as the administrator for our school. For years exdh had his own business, it had a name. A name that is different than your last name is not deceptive to me, it just adds a level of professionalism. 

I only ever used it for the transcript and diploma so it would be more like a standard diploma and transcript. I didn't want them to be dismissed without a look by some of the bigger flagship schools he applied to.

I wasn't worried about flagships, but I was concerned how the actual diploma or transcript might be perceived in other countries. Ds wants to live and study abroad. Homeschooling in his top two countries is either illegal or highly uncommon. His diploma says high school diploma, lists our school name, and the state. 

For me, it's just a way to add another layer of professionalism to our school. It doesn't change anything about the school or the academics, but it markets better, imo. Plus it's kind of fun to create a brand - we had a blast over the year. Mascot, colors, I wrote up a mission statement. It created an organization to our school. 

An interesting anecdote is that I recently found a castle in England built by our ancestors during the Middle Ages. It's in the city that matches our school name. Cool coincidence.

• Like 5

I'm not sure if we can change it or not, since it's no longer an active school, you know? DH is 36. I'll have to look into that.

Sparkly Unicorn, our state requires that a h.s. be named.

OhElizabeth, it was always my understanding that you couldn't file for discrimination unless there was something pretty concrete to point to. The guy in the interview in my OP didn't actually say anything negative about it, so it seems like it would be too subtle to cry foul. It may even be that he didn't make the Peace Corps reference with a homeschooling background in mind, for all we know. What I'm trying to say is, when a field of candidates are applying for a job, you can use your personal bias to not select homeschooled students quite easily without making it look like that was the issue.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs in our country when you have to be embarrassed about how you did your high school.  It has been an issue in our state, with out and out discrimination, and they're working on laws for it.  

I hadn't really thought about it, but it doesn't seem necessary to me to make up some name anyway.  Some states require a name because you're homeschooling under private school laws.  Beyond that, I don't see the point.  Besides, even if you WERE homeschooled under those laws, it's your resume.  Put down homeschooled and be done with it.  Unless of course you've concluded in this country it's safer to be gay than a homeschooler.

On the rare occasion that a form for something requires a school name specifically, we do "Rowhouse School" or sometimes "Rowhouse Academy" because we live in... yep... a rowhouse. Since I have the authority to graduate my kids as homeschoolers, I seriously doubt I'll put that on their transcript down the line though, unless for some reason it turns out to be needed. I think trying to mask from admissions people that the kids are homeschooled will probably be pretty futile.

I don't understand why having the authority to graduate your dc and putting Rowhouse Academy on the transcripts are mutually exclusive. :huh: However, "Official Transcript" is fine, although there will be applications of different sorts which ask if the applicant graduated from high school (some homeschoolers will say "no". What?) and what the name of the high school is. It is not a matter of "masking" from admissions people that your dc are homeschooled; it is answering accurately.

Also, FWIW, some academic competitions (Continental Math League (and their other competitions, like National Science League, Language Arts League, etc), and also the NJCL classics competitions) WANT LastName Homeschool from homeschoolers-to the point that the teams that I coach for my homeschool group end up competing under my last name because I'm the sponsor-even though only one of the kids in that group shares that name!

• Like 1

Locally, we don't  have to name our homeschool... If we did I would probably choose something like Paul Wellstone Democratic School -or- Joseph Hillstrom Free School -or- Emma Goldman Free School... perhaps putting Saint in front of any of those depending on how arch I was feeling that particular day... I really couldn't care less how anyone interpreted that. Anyone who wouldn't hire you for that is someone you don't want to work for anyway. I don't think my chosen names would be any less controversial than <lastname> acdemy...

• Like 2

We don't have to make an official name of our school, but I'm just about to make my dd freshman transcripts...  Is Liberty High School OK?  Or should I do academy or such?  My town has Liberty in it's name...  My other daughter recommended Mathin MyJammies Academy.

As for the leprechaun name I got Weebit Potfiller!

• Like 5

Our last name IS a saint name, so I figured Lastname Academy would be just fine. I'd never considered that the school name and child's last name would match...

I think it would depend on the street name.  Our neighborhood uses golf terms as street names, so Players Academy might not be so good.  Parkside Academy would probably be fine.

ETA:  I quoted the wrong person.  I meant to quote the person asking if a street name was ok.

• Like 1

Well, there's this:

http://sweethomeschools.org/SHSHS/

And I'd never, ever, move to Sweet Home ISD if I planned on enrolling my kids in their high school. That is NOT something I want on their transcript... I don't care that it's a real, public, B&M high school. Lastname Academy sounds better than *that*, at least with our last name - with my maiden name it'd sound just weird since Americans have serious trouble spelling/pronouncing that one - it's way too ethnic (Dutch). If I were to do Lastname Academy I might maybe pick my mom's maiden name, but I don't think I'm going to do Lastname Academy anyway.

What, you don't want to sound like you're constantly shushing someone when you refer to your high school by its initials?

I haven't definitively decided on a name, I have a couple of ideas, like combining DH's and my middle names and something like Preparatory School or maybe some Latinate name. It helps that DH's middle name is a last name, though. I don't want to use "Academy" because it seems like every. single. homeschool I know is XXXXX Academy (usually Lastname Academy).

I'm tempted to call it somethingorother Boarding School. Or maybe something like Miss Minchin's Seminary for Young Ladies. Hmm. Madame Aurelia's Finishing School for Gifted Young Ladies? That's gonna be hard to fit on a shirt.

I've never like "Academy" even for regular institutions.. lol  We are not required to name our homeschool in our state but the kids enjoy being able to tell someone the name.  We just use StreetName Elementary, StreetName Middle School etc.  This year they got to choose a mascot for their "school"  And we now have the StreetName Preschool Princesses, The StreetName Elementary Ninja Trains and the StreetName Middle School Mustangs.  They are happy and it makes little difference in the long run.  (at the moment anyway).