Menu

Palazzo pants: yeah or nay?

Seasider

I have seen some cute palazzo pants in stores lately and they are so appealing to me. Like jazzy yoga pants, y'know?

But I am not a fashionista, so I need the hive to tell me, are these okay for a midlife mom? Or something I should leave to the (much) younger crowd?

I'm a little thrown by the description of "jazzy yoga pants".  I thought palazzo pants were these almost skirt like wide legged pants.  Unless I am clueless as to what yoga pants are.  Possible.  LOL  Just want to make sure I have the right thing in mind.

Anyhow, I see nothing wrong with them for a midlife mom.  In fact they kinda strike me as something particularly appealing for someone in that category.

But I am not a fashionista either so take that with a grain of salt.  LOL

• Like 1

They look cute on the models...who have no thighs. But a girl like me, with rather thick thigh...to add in pants that are extra wide on the bottom....it's like making a big girl even BIGGER....just one wide width from top to bottom. No thanks.

• Like 3

I'm a little thrown by the description of "jazzy yoga pants". I thought palazzo pants were these almost skirt like wide legged pants. Unless I am clueless as to what yoga pants are. Possible. LOL Just want to make sure I have the right thing in mind.

Anyhow, I see nothing wrong with them for a midlife mom. In fact they kinda strike me as something particularly appealing for someone in that category.

But I am not a fashionista either so take that with a grain of salt. LOL

I was thinking like yoga pants with elastic waist and comfy. I've seen various leg widths, some wider than others. I wouldn't like the really wide legs, I'd likely trip!

• Like 1

Please not stirrup pants!!!

Guess I should just get out there and try some on. One look in the dressing room mirror should really answer the question for me. I just wondered if you all were seeing them as a new trend the way they are popping up all around me

• Like 1

I used to have multiple pairs back in the 80s/90s when they were first popular. Of course, I was much younger & skinnier then too.

I would love to wear some again, but I'm not sure they would look very great on me now. And, the styles I've seen on folks lately are slightly different than the original ones & I don't think I like the new version as much as the old one.

My MIL will be 80 years old this year, and she is neither tall nor skinny.  But she looks fabulous in palazzo pants.  And I say that as someone who generally finds them hideous, and who personally wouldn't wear them if someone paid me.  She just has the knack -- she can take almost any item of clothing and put it together so it looks great on her.

• Like 1

I seriously loathe them. And I agree with the above that they're really only flattering to those who are tall and skinny.

That said... everyone should have their own style and go with it.

That.

They are in the same category for me as the caftan. People who pull them off are statuesque and supremely elegant. The rest of us just look dumpy.

• Like 1

I'm voting totally YES, as long as you are slim enough to pull them off.

I've switched to long skirts this summer, and my only concern is that I don't want people thinking I'm a "dress wearing" kind of homeschooler.  Nothing wrong with those who are, but I'm not.

It's like wearing pajamas, but I can go anywhere!

• Like 1

It's interesting to read the replies that refer to seeing them "back in the 80s & 90s." The colorful loose pants from the 80s are what I think are Hammer pants! I distinctly remember palazzo pants from the 70s, when my Mom's neighborhood friends would come over for bunco parties. I remember one lady in particular getting lots of compliments on her new, fashionable pair (brown plaid!). Of course they've likely come in and out again more than once between now and the early 70s.

• Like 1

I'm voting totally YES, as long as you are slim enough to pull them off.

I've switched to long skirts this summer, and my only concern is that I don't want people thinking I'm a "dress wearing" kind of homeschooler. Nothing wrong with those who are, but I'm not.

It's like wearing pajamas, but I can go anywhere!

I wear skirts and dresses in the summer, too, and have the same weird mental struggle. They're just airy-er than shorts.
  • Like 1

I like them.  I'm quite tall, but not skinny.  They work for me.  The thing with flowy clothes is if it's loose and flowy on the bottom, it should be fitted on top (and vice versa).  They look great with a tank and a cropped, fitted jacket and some heeled sandals. 

• Like 1

I like them. I'm quite tall, but not skinny. They work for me. The thing with flowy clothes is if it's loose and flowy on the bottom, it should be fitted on top (and vice versa). They look great with a tank and a cropped, fitted jacket and some heeled sandals.

This helps - if I tried them on with a loose top I might prematurely veto.

Haha! I think of bell bottoms in terms of denim pants. Palazzo pants were flowy polyester!

Plus, a palazzo is a very full cut for the entire length of the leg, and a bell bottom is fitted through the thigh, but then, well, bells out at the bottom.

OP, I don't think it's a function of age at all. I think it's more a function of height and body shape. It's not something I would order online. Try them on in the store and see how you like them on you. If you like them, do NOT let your age be a factor in your decision whether or not to buy them. Personally, not a fan. But if you like them, then go for it!

• Like 1

"Palazzo Pants"??? Aren't those the same things we used to call "bell bottoms" back in the 70's?

Bell bottoms are usually fitted on the hips and thighs and then flare out at or below the knee. Palazzo pants are flared out and loose from the waist. They are like a bifurcated ankle or floor length skirt.

• Like 1

I like some of the less wacky prints I've seen, but I'm too short to pull off that look.

I agree that one has to be tall to wear them well. I just don't know how tall. I'm just shy of 5'9" and they look awful on me!

Are they like Hammer pants? If so, it's probably best to pass. But maybe they're something else?

"Palazzo Pants"??? Aren't those the same things we used to call "bell bottoms" back in the 70's?

Hammer pants have a lowered crotch, and usually start with a wider leg but are more narrow at the ankle.  They are usually in a fabric with a bit of drape, or a slightly stiffer ethnic print cotton.  Bell bottoms are usually tight through the thighs, and flare out below the knee.  They are usually denim, though sometimes another "bottom weight" fabric.  Palazzo pants are the same width all the way down - no dropped crotch, no tight ankles, and wide in the leg but not flared.  They are usually done in a very drapey fabric, often a polyester knit.  

Waaaa! I'm both very short (5'2") and very overweight. (Not telling...). And I triple pink puffy heart those pants.

But my mom refuses to wear skirts longer than just below the knee and has told me my whole life that short people can't wear long skirts. I wear maxi skirts all the time ;)

Fact is, not much is going to look good on me so I will go with what is comfortable and at least not horribly out dated! i am so excited that these pants might be easy to find LOL

• Like 1

They're amazing if you're sickly thin and trying to look healthy.  If you have a few extra pounds or just hold all 3 pounds of extra weight in your legs, not so flattering.

Fashion trends frequently come in styles that are unflattering for average/normal bodies, my theory is that it's just to differentiate the status symbol it is to be able to pull off something that would be hideous on normal people.

I have seen some cute palazzo pants in stores lately and they are so appealing to me. Like jazzy yoga pants, y'know?

But I am not a fashionista, so I need the hive to tell me, are these okay for a midlife mom? Or something I should leave to the (much) younger crowd?

I wore those in the mid-seventies, if they are the wide pants I am remembering. 

• Like 1

I agree that one has to be tall to wear them well. I just don't know how tall. I'm just shy of 5'9" and they look awful on me!

I am 6'.  I have 2 pair.  One is beige linen and I wear it with a skinny belt, a white tank and beige linen cropped jacket -- like a summer suit -- with heels.  The other pair is navy with cream polka dots.  I wear those for casual wear with any number of fitted tees, and some wedge heels.  They're very comfy and light for warm weather.  I think they're immensely helped by some heels.  They tend to look sloppy and dumpy if they're puddling on the ground. 

• Like 1

I wore those in the mid-seventies, if they are the wide pants I am remembering. 

My mom had some as part of a suit.  It was a kaleidoscope checker print.  I know that will sound awful to some, but I remember it as being so beautiful and vibrant -- as was she.

• Like 1

I don't remember palazzo pants in the 80s and 90s. ??? They were definitely a 70s thing.

No, they were definitely not around in the 80's and 90's. I remember the character Karen on "Will and Grace" making fun of them in the early 2000's. I also remember a friend of mine trying (and failing) to convince me that they would look fantastic on me, and that was also in the early 2000's.

ETA: Maybe very late 90's? Definitely not 80's!

I am 6'. I have 2 pair. One is beige linen and I wear it with a skinny belt, a white tank and beige linen cropped jacket -- like a summer suit -- with heels. The other pair is navy with cream polka dots. I wear those for casual wear with any number of fitted tees, and some wedge heels. They're very comfy and light for warm weather. I think they're immensely helped by some heels. They tend to look sloppy and dumpy if they're puddling on the ground.

I can see how they would look dramatically different on a 6-ft tall woman in heels than they did on me barefoot in the dressing room! :D

Don't currently own any but I like them and don't think age makes any difference.

Sure, they look better on tall, skinny - but that's who they're designed for, like 99% of all fashion.  Pretty much anything I wear, I could say it'd look better if I were taller & thinner.

If you are comfortable wearing them, do it.

• Like 1

No, they were definitely not around in the 80's and 90's. I remember the character Karen on "Will and Grace" making fun of them in the early 2000's. I also remember a friend of mine trying (and failing) to convince me that they would look fantastic on me, and that was also in the early 2000's.

ETA: Maybe very late 90's? Definitely not 80's!

It was the mid to late 1990s. Think with tight long sleeve t-shirts and vests. It was everywhere for a bit and then 2000 or so came and they were gone. Sometimes they were part of a romper thingy. I remember a few brides with few flowers tucked in their smart 1990 bobs sporting them.

• Like 2

It was the mid to late 1990s. Think with tight long sleeve t-shirts and vests. It was everywhere for a bit and then 2000 or so came and they were gone. Sometimes they were part of a romper thingy. I remember a few brides with few flowers tucked in their smart 1990 bobs sporting them.

I believe you even though what you're saying is completely contrary to my experience (don't remember seeing anyone wear them prior to 2000, then early 2000's the stores here were full of them!) because I have the honor of living in one of the ten *least* fashionable cities in the US (http://www.movoto.com/blog/top-ten/worst-dressed/). So my guess is that in 2000, when you say they disappeared, it's because they all got shipped here! Everybody else was sick of them, and Albuquerque was just learning that they exist. :lol:

• Like 1