Bertha

Pauline

Peggy

Janice.

Nope. Don't like those.

My 2000s name--MacKenzie. mmmm....not so crazy bout that,

My 1970s name--Rhonda....

Another Zoe here.

Great Girl, whose name was well below the top 100 when dh picked it and seemed rare and startling but has been sitting in the top 3 for five years now (because we have our finger on the pulse of the zeitgeist!), would today be "Quinn." I don't think so.

My friend's daughter is name Paisley. She's a doll.

I'd be Lily. I'm so not a Lily.

I don't know a single Paisley, but I like the name. I didn't realize it was as popular as it is. I think I could pull off Paisley, but my mom never would have picked it. LOL. Not a fan of most of my other listed names or they just don't suit me.

I don't know a single Paisley, but I like the name. I didn't realize it was as popular as it is. I think I could pull off Paisley, but my mom never would have picked it. LOL. Not a fan of most of my other listed names or they just don't suit me.

I was considering Presley or Paisley for my daughter, but then I started seeing it everywhere. So, we went a different direction entirely. (According to the website above, there were fewer than 5 with my dd's name, so I couldn't see what her name would have been.)

I was considering Presley or Paisley for my daughter, but then I started seeing it everywhere. So, we went a different direction entirely. (According to the website above, there were fewer than 5 with my dd's name, so I couldn't see what her name would have been.)

How cool that you found a unique name! One of my son's was listed as 826th on the list. I was surprised it even made the list as it is very unusual.

• Like 1

How cool that you found a unique name! One of my son's was listed as 826th on the list. I was surprised it even made the list as it is very unusual.

There is actually an estate in Arkansas by the same name which is where I got it from. I always thought it would be some out-there hippie family that would name their daughter that. haha

But, when Dh wanted the first part of the name, I countered with her current name. It fits her perfectly. :)

• Like 1

My name was the 710th popular name the year I was born I would be Brisa today. Hmph. I don't think so.

The other names in descending order:

Chynna  :confused1:

Addie

Latrina (sounds too much like the toilet)

Ladawn

Merle

Rafaela

Bulah

Lorita

Rosebud

Leonore

Trudy

Fleda

• Like 1

Lyric. Is that even a name? Have you ever met a Lyric? My name is not that unusual--I've always known someone my age with the same name. Lyric? Bleah. And I don't like most of the names in the different decades either, but Callie (1940's) would be all right.

Izabella

I absolutely destest creative/modernized spellings, so that z really irks me. (No offense meant to those who like them, it doesn't irk me for other people, it's just not my thing at all and I wouldn't want it for my name or my child's name.) Isabella is a beautiful name, far prettier than my own, but it's too formal to fit me, so I'd end up as an Izzie or Bella or something. Which isn't so bad. Still better than Gretchen. :(

Lyric. Is that even a name? Have you ever met a Lyric? My name is not that unusual--I've always known someone my age with the same name. Lyric? Bleah. And I don't like most of the names in the different decades either, but Callie (1940's) would be all right.

I actually do. One of my friend's step daughter is named Lyric.

• Like 1

Yes, and yes.  100%  I have always disliked my name.  Looking at the list just proves how much I dislike it.

:lol:   Me, too!! It's bad enough that my name isn't the greatest, but the alternatives are just as bad. Many of them I can't even pronounce! Somehow this doesn't make me appreciate my real name more, though. 

2014 ---> Katalina

1950 ---> Adeline

1900 ---> Myrle

1890 ---> Walter (didn't realize this was a girl's name at some point???)

I remember reading that the very old records have a lot of that kind of error. Sometimes the wrong gender is indicated on the record, and if the name was common enough, the gender report errors would be accordingly more numerous. Thus for instance a lot of male "Mary"s on the old records.
  • Like 1

I remember reading that the very old records have a lot of that kind of error. Sometimes the wrong gender is indicated on the record, and if the name was common enough, the gender report errors would be accordingly more numerous. Thus for instance a lot of male "Mary"s on the old records.

Maybe not all those Marys were mistakes though. At least in the Hispanic community, I've known some Jose Maria's and the like (families were strong Catholics).

• Like 3

For my husband it says his name would be James.

For my older son it says he would be Kayson. No, no he would not be Kayson. It says his 1890s name would be "Ples". Now that's an uncommon name.

For my younger son it says Nash. Not so bad. 1890s is Ernie, which is cute but ruined by my crazy aunt's crazy husband. 1950s is Alva, which is a name with more than one appearance in the family bible. Ummm.

• Like 1

Izabella

I absolutely destest creative/modernized spellings, so that z really irks me. (No offense meant to those who like them, it doesn't irk me for other people, it's just not my thing at all and I wouldn't want it for my name or my child's name.) Isabella is a beautiful name, far prettier than my own, but it's too formal to fit me, so I'd end up as an Izzie or Bella or something. Which isn't so bad. Still better than Gretchen. :(

That's a legitimate Eastern European spelling. I can't remember if it's Polish or Hungarian or what but it is an ethnic rather than kre8tiv variation.

My oldest has the Germanic/Scandinavian variant of her name to honor MIL's heritage and it irks me when people think that we did it to be kre8tiv.

• Like 2

That's a legitimate Eastern European spelling. I can't remember if it's Polish or Hungarian or what but it is an ethnic rather than kre8tiv variation.

My oldest has the Germanic/Scandinavian variant of her name to honor MIL's heritage and it irks me when people think that we did it to be kre8tiv.

I appreciate the correction. I had no idea!

• Like 1

Raelynn. However, my middle name is what my parents had me go by since I was born, and it didn't rank when I was born (not that I was born in the US anyway), so out of luck there.

My real first name is much more old-fashioned than Raelynn.

I'd be Cora. Not my favorite, but maybe I'd like it better than the name I have.

The others were a mixed bag of ordinary and unusual: Delaney, Mayra, Laurie, Vickie, Irene, Marion.  None of them suit me, although I've been very good friends with a Laurie and a Vicki.

So I tried my daughter's (somewhat unusual) name, and I got some doozies: Zandra, Pearline, Alba, Ellamae, Veva, Ader, Blanch, Matilda, and Mannie. There were a few other names mixed in that are more typical, and of those I kind of like Hallie.

My cousin just had a baby and named it Matilda, so maybe that name is coming back?

I have. She is in her thirties? A homeschooling mom to 3 daughters and 1 son ages 13 to 4.

Maybe not all those Marys were mistakes though. At least in the Hispanic community, I've known some Jose Maria's and the like (families were strong Catholics).

True. I'd expect those to be have been Mario or Marius; but it's just as likely the name was miscopied or misread. Basically the problem is handwritten records.

I actually know a tiny Marius, who goes by "Mars," which is adorable.

• Like 2

Zoe

Zoe?! 

I like Zoe lol.  I had this book I read as a kid over and over that I LOVED - the main character was named Zoe.   :D

Avery.

It does not suit.

I know an Avery!

Oh, dear Lord, my 1890s name would be Mintie (like Pepperminty?)!      

My name now would be Sage. There seems to be a herbal theme going on. 

Sage is Avery's sister.   :lol:  And Pink's best friend.

Today:  Maria.  

Some of these are funny!

Neither DH nor I has a super popular name (even for our time) and our kids' names are REALLY REALLY rare.  Like, you've probably never heard of them rare.  

Some of what we got:

Me - #113: 

Macy        (2000s - not my style.  I'm so not a Macy.  )

Krystal      (80s - isn't this a burger place)

Arlene       (60s - I love this lady named Arlene, but I don't necessarily want to share her name!)

Lydia        (50s, which surprises me.  Lydia is pretty popular I feel like.  It's actually a name I used to *sort of* like, but my SIL HATES it bc it's the name of my BIL's high school girlfriend.   :lol: )

Sadie        (30s - the name of the dog we had when we first got married.... :blink: )

Gussie      (1900s - so classic  I just had to include it.)

DH's  - #84 - are pretty boring.  Larry, Eugene, Archie, Bert.  

Link's - #830 - are really something...

Lavell         (90s - I've never heard of this lol)

Deborah     (70s - I think I'd heard this was a unisex name at some point??)

Clearence   (50s - SO CLOSE to being deeply discounted!! :lol: )

Israel          (30s - not gonna lie, I like this one)

Curlee        (10s - I never realized this was actually a name)

Mamie        (1900s - totally thought this was a female name?)

Oma          (1890s - actually, DH had an uncle named Oma)

Astro - #796:

Long         (90s - I actually recently met someone named Longest, which I'd never heard of - Long isn't a far stretch... oh dear lord that was an unintended... something.  Not a pun.   :rolleyes: )

Modesto    (50s - this is actually not that bad lol)

Leverne     (20s - I totally thought that Leverne was a girl name.  I mean, I've heard 'Verne' or 'Vern'... )

Doll            (1890s - this one cracks me up.)

Pink - #739:

Lashanda    (90s - I can't make this stuff up.  Lashanda.  Really?)

Mya             (80s - not bad)

Eather         (10s - how does one pronounce this?  Like 'ether'?  So... what exactly would she be named after??   :lol: )

Edward        (1900s - never knew this was used for females...)

Mai              (1890s - I actually kind of love this one.   :p   :D )

I kind of can't believe the kids' names are even on there.  I guess Link's has vague literary references (which we weren't aware of til he was a toddler) and Pink's has obvious video game references :p - but Astro's I actually made up when I was pregnant with Link.  Combined a couple names I liked... it's interesting.

• Like 1

I was Julianna long before it was cool so I rank in the mid 600s and got some real gems!

Channa for today

Magali

Natosha

Chris ????????

Voncile - this sounds like an antibiotic

Felicitas

Virdie

Lulie

I've never met anyone with any of these names except the bizarrely misranked Chris and Magali in Latin America so that doesn't count either.

• Like 1

True. I'd expect those to be have been Mario or Marius; but it's just as likely the name was miscopied or misread. Basically the problem is handwritten records.

I actually know a tiny Marius, who goes by "Mars," which is adorable.

I mean, in real life I know men with the middle name Maria.

And, oh boy do I know about handwritten records. I've been digging in census records doing genealogy, and sometimes the spelling would throw me off until I saw the other family members and saw it was the person I was looking for. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't mind being Evelyn if born today. I like that my 1890s name would have been Laura, as would my 1990s name.

My niece just named her baby Evelyn. Except she spelled it Evalynn. The alternate spelling wouldn't have been my choice, but it is evidently closer to how it would be spelled in my niece's birth country (she immigrated here as a teen). I think it's a sweet name for a baby.

Oh, dear Lord, my 1890s name would be Mintie (like Pepperminty?)!      

My name now would be Sage. There seems to be a herbal theme going on. ;)

It could be your pen name. Mintie Sage, the author of "The New Herb Garden" (or some such book).

• Like 4

I mean, in real life I know men with the middle name Maria.

And, oh boy do I know about handwritten records. I've been digging in census records doing genealogy, and sometimes the spelling would throw me off until I saw the other family members and saw it was the person I was looking for.

Yes, María can definitely be a middle name for men: José María, Jesús María etc. Then there is also Mario and Mariano, of course. I have all these three names in my extended family.

• Like 1