Menu

Share some awesomeness your spouse has done recently.

BlsdMama

I just feel like having a positive spouse thread.

DH had surgery in October and spent three months home with us recovering. Greatest blessing ever. He was a 9 before this but I feel like his time home made him a better spouse. More understanding? Something.

Anyway I'm feeling pretty happy with him today, especially today, because I know he wanted to knock out a ton of remodeling in the basement and instead took the time to teach ME to use his power tools! It was a blast. I loved it. We actually got a decent amount done and I loved getting to work hard at a project with him for once! (Usually we divide and conquer but this was so much more enjoyable!)

• Like 18

I was just reflecting today on how my husband has become better and better in regards to being there for me and helping out in practical ways. He's always been reliable, but it's like he just keeps stepping up more and more. For example, he has a ton of his own work to do when he gets home from work, but he is still mindful of me when he arrives home by checking in to see how I'm coping with the children, and if I need a hand or some relief.

He's helpful in ways that are actually helpful these-days. I think that he has learned to read my mind a bit more and can see the family's needs. I guess that's a big pro of a growing marriage that I didn't foresee when we first got married.

Specific examples include:

- washing the floors for me two nights ago when I was in bed exhausted.

- running to the shops in the afternoons whenever we run out of something. (He never asks me to do it, but always volunteers to go.)

- not just minding the children for me at home on the weekend at some stage, but also taking them out on errands or to the beach or somewhere for a good part of the day to let me recover/get things done.

• Like 7

Another specific example from this week -

He not only thought of a way to keep all of our shoes organised at the front door, but he went and purchased the unit, assembled it, and sorted though all of the shoes. Then he gathered together all of the children to show them where to put their shoes in their own section, and he laid out the new rules for shoes!

Anything to do with organisation, especially house organisation, gets big ticks from me. 😀

• Like 6

We're apart right now, but mine called me right at midnight to sing me Happy Birthday, then patiently listened to me ramble on for an hour about: minimalism, budget, education & testing/grading, scientific theory, happiness & habits, podcasts, eating out vs. in, religion, rv living, the kids, and reading the classics.

LOL, OMG now that I look at my range of topics covered in one hour, I feel sorry for him!! He's a keeper. :)

In my defense, we usually talk on the phone while kids are awake (wanting to visit with him, too), life is happening, and things need to get done, so an uninterrupted hour of talk time is basically unheard of.

• Like 9

I would never be able to say enough good about my guy.

He has always helped with the kids and with the house - no job is too demeaning for him.

He has always considered me an equal partner in decisions in our marriage - no superiority whatsoever.

He listens to my ideas and will sometimes modify what he does based upon them.

He's super supportive when medical issues are at hand.

He likes going along with pretty much anything I want to do (activities, travel, etc).

He lets me handle the budget 100%, but he does taxes since I don't want to.

He'll give me freedom and space when I want it - for an hour, or a day, or whatever I need.

He has no desire to be out spending money on himself.

There's very, very little that I would ever be able to complain about.  Between the two of us, he's the better person IMO.

Lately?

Yesterday we were discussing carpal tunnel surgery I need to schedule on my dominant hand.  We know it's going to take 2-3 months to get back to normal strength and we're coming up on spring/summer on our farm when there are far more things that need to be done, but our farmhands are away at college (or married).  He didn't miss a beat telling me to schedule things whenever I want and he'd take over doing everything for as long as necessary.  I know he'd try his best too.

Considering I have an IRL friend who's hubby left her over a medical issue telling her he couldn't deal with it (AND he wasn't supportive of much else either), I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have my guy.

• Like 14

This thread is making me smile this morning!

It may seem silly because we do have a dishwasher so it's not a big deal to do the few pots and pans at every meal but several times in the past few weeks, my dh has chased me out of the kitchen and cleaned up those dishes for me when there was no reason I couldn't have done them myself.

Several years ago, he started running to control his high blood pressure and pre-diabetes.  It's worked and so now, whenever the weather cooperates, he gets up at 6 to go do his 3 or 4 miles before work.  He is NOT a morning person at all but he runs early (rather than after work) so that he can eat dinner with us and play with/ help with/ participate in whatever is going on in the house during the evening.  

He also goes off to work cheerfully each day so I can stay home with the kids.

He's a good guy!

• Like 9

Mine is currently extra awesome because he has loaded, run, and unloaded the dishwasher multiple times in the past week.

Not a big deal, you say? Oh, but I was dishwasherless (of the mechanical kind) for four or five years, and it just got old, washing twenty-one plates, forks, etc. by hand every single day (although DH was great about helping with those). Our hard water killed our last dishwasher, and we did not replace it until we could put in a water softener and a new water heater. DH installed both of those last weekend and a dishwasher too. All of us are loving how quick it is to do the dishes now! (Our three year old is totally fascinated; he's never seen such a cool thing. You put dirty dishes into this magical little box, and they come out clean!). So, thank you, DH, for all of that hard work last weekend!

• Like 7

We had a giant fight on Thursday and he would not speak about it with me till Saturday morning. At the time I was so furious, but by Saturday morning I was grateful. We were both calm and we had uninterrupted time to spend with each other. We both apologized and were able to really hear what the other was saying. He was wise!

• Like 3

My husband is demonstrating great wisdom and discernment as a leader. Yes, he leads our own little family very well, but lately, the burden he has been bearing in areas of leadership outside our home has been tremendous. Right now, he is dealing with some very heart-wrenching situations in his roles as Scoutmaster, deacon, and small group leader, as well as a very trying situation with our oldest son. He is an inspiration to me, and I love that especially in the midst of adversity, my boys can see God's faithfulness to bear my husband up and give him great strength in the kinds of trials that most definitely await them, as well, as they mature. Maybe a different kind of awesomeness than you're aiming for, but it's what's been on my mind lately. Love him so much!

• Like 5

What a lovely thread!

Lately, I've been having gazillions of migraines, one after another, and he has been so sweet and gentle and supportive about it. He gets takeout when I'm not feeling up to cooking, and he hasn't said a word about the house being a mess (though I know given his personality that it must be driving him crazy), and has even spent weekends doing some of the chores that are normally my responsibility. This is all especially remarkable to me given that in the early part of our relationship, he was, well, somewhat lacking in sympathy when I was sick (and that's a huge understatement!). He has really changed in this regard, and I am so grateful for that.

Also, something that he has done throughout our marriage, but which has been on my mind a lot lately: he always puts me and our daughter first, over everyone else. I have a friend whose MIL is verbally abusive to her, and her husband does nothing about it. I can't even imagine being in that kind of situation, because my husband would never allow me to be mistreated, not even by his own family. To me, that man is saying that his relationship with his mother is more important than his relationship with his wife, and that would be completely unacceptable to me. I love my parents, but my husband and daughter come first, no contest. My sweet husband makes me feel as if I'm the center of his world. So even though we have had some pretty rough times in our marriage, we've always gotten through it, because I've always felt that I am his first priority.

• Like 7

I've been in the VERY grouchy, uncomfortable stages of late pregnancy lately and my Dh has selflessly been sleeping on the Lazy Boy downstairs so his chainsaw snoring doesn't keep me awake any more than necessary.  It can't be comfortable for him, but he never complains and the extra sleep I'm getting has really been helping with my physical and mental well being.  

Is it awful that I say my Dh's gesture of love is to NOT sleep with me?  That sounds awful.  

He's also been fueling my Ben & Jerry's and Cadbury Egg addiction.

• Like 7

Gotta chime in.

My dh brings me a beverage first thing most mornings. He learned how to make coffee just the way I want it. When I expressed an interest in loose leaf tea, BAM--he went and bought the fancy teapots with the little baskets and lots of loose leaf tea.

He also massages my aching, knotted muscles.

He is a kind father who would rather play games with his kids than anything else.

I feel lucky to have him.

• Like 8

He shared his family with me.  I know that sounds funny but let me explain.  We went to Germany to see our dd, she's there for a study abroad semester.  The one thing he wanted to do was spend time with the family he still has there.  They are awesome!  None of the let me get to know you before I love on you, but let me love on you right away.  Hugs all around.  I'm a hugger so I loved it!  I don't see how we can ever repay them for the love they showed us while there and the love they show dd.  They gave her an old phone and are paying for it!

He took the one thing I wanted to see while there and made it happen.  I was stationed on Germany as a child and I remember going to see Neuschwanstein then and I wanted to see it again.  It was out of the way from everything else - like 6 hours drive to get to Munich, two nights there, all day to go to the castle and come back.  We could have seen and done much more without the long trip but it was the one thing I wanted and so it happened.

Then when the kids thanked him for taking us all, he gave the credit to me.  My paycheck (very very small) is what was saved for months and it paid for everything.

• Like 7

Replying before reading other responses:

This morning he brushed the snow off my car.

Last night he made a fabulous meat-and-potato casserole.

Yesterday he decided to read Treasure Island along with DS, and was almost finished by bedtime.  [unfortunately, DS has now realized he already read it, so he's switching to Oliver Twist, which my Dickens-hating DH can't abide.]

I'm so glad he married me.  :)

:wub:

• Like 5

My awesome husband just invited my elderly, disabled and broke parents to move in with us. To do so, he has to be ready to financially support them as well as physically care for them, and must give up our bedroom and move upstairs.

I love that man.

• Like 11

Oh, just the usual around here.  DH has been:

• doctoring DD13's ingrown toenails and teaching her how to prevent them in the future -- genetic predisposition from his side
  • helping out MY friend two states away because she is my friend
  • helping out his own family
  • looking after his employees
  • fixing things around the house and around his folks' place
  • working late for two weeks to help fix a problem at work, and still finding the time and energy to deal with March (big-time family birthday month)
  • still telling me I'm gorgeous
  • listening to me ramble, and brain-storming with me regarding school subjects and plans
  • keeping an eye on the budget even though there are lots of things he'd like to go order
  • making a sign for our Aikido dojo's new location
  • rolling his eyes at my participation in some fun threads, and then chiming in with commentary that is in the same spirit
  • Continuing to say "I love you" to me and the kids each morning as he heads out -- and persisting in repeating "I love you" until each responds loud enough for him to hear (grumpy teen is learning "you, too" isn't good enough :lol: )

All in all DH is a really great guy!

• Like 6

I've been in the VERY grouchy, uncomfortable stages of late pregnancy lately and my Dh has selflessly been sleeping on the Lazy Boy downstairs so his chainsaw snoring doesn't keep me awake any more than necessary.  It can't be comfortable for him, but he never complains and the extra sleep I'm getting has really been helping with my physical and mental well being.  

Is it awful that I say my Dh's gesture of love is to NOT sleep with me?  That sounds awful.  

He's also been fueling my Ben & Jerry's and Cadbury Egg addiction.

I so totally get it.

When I was pregnant and highly nauseous (any aroma could set me off) DH took over ALL of the cooking -- on the grill outside, no matter what the weather.  Soup, veggies -- whatever was needed he found a way to cook on that grill.

When my wedding ring flew off my finger (loose due to weight lose during pregnancy) and disappeared he tried to console me by thanking me for losing the less expensive ring (the engagement ring cost more).  I bawled harder.  He took me home to rest, then went back to search for my ring (in IL's backyard) when SIL got back with her dad's metal detector.  It took them HOURS -- turns out my ring landed right beneath their grill, so they weren't finding it with the metal detector because of the metal in the grill cart.

He also stayed in the OR with me when I had an emergency C-section and promised me -- despite his own fears about me -- to not leave our baby's side once she was born.  He witnessed a lot of pain and suffering on my end throughout that ordeal, but he kept with our baby so I could at least rest easy on that account.  Every time I was coherent enough to notice he was either there with DD, or my sis, Mom, or MIL was there explaining where DH and DD were.

And of the three (DH and his two brothers) DH was the only one not too afraid to hold his newborn child.  He had done some babysitting when he was a teen, and asked for newborn diapering instruction and practice when our nephew was 1 month old.

• Like 5

Great thread, making me smile also!

DH does laundry (even though he gets everyone's clothes mixed up when putting them away)

He runs errands and goes to get things we are out of (which I hate)

He vacuums because he knows it is my most hated task

He recently brought me home a special chocolate I like - just for me!  Nothing for DD! (he usually brings us both something, which I love, but this time it was just me, which I also loved!)

He reassures me when I complain about all the moles I am growing as I get older, that he does not mind them one bit and in fact hardly notices them...  

*sigh*  I love my husband.   :blushing:   (and he is still a darn good looking man as well...)

• Like 4

Dh has been congested and coughing for the past week, and to keep from disturbing me he has slept in another room. Also, after hearing how disgusted I was with the optometrist/glasses sales lady, he volunteered to run by the office and get my prescription so I wouldn't have to deal with the annoying lady again.

• Like 2

He leaves the house before everyone is awake and on days he gets home before the kids are asleep, he makes sure to spend every minute with the kids or helps with dinner or drives kids to their evening activities. He works hard so I don't have to bring home an income and can spend my days with our children and homeschool the older ones.

• Like 3

My dh went to a town over to get tires put on my car when he realized how bad they were. Then when he got there they only had one tire in stock. So the next day, Sunday he drove into the city to three different shops to find my tire.

Friday evening he helped some friends for several hours in a building they are opening as a boutique. One of the women involved mentioned to me yesterday how awesome he is.

• Like 1

My hubby is mostly pretty awesome.

I've been caring for our oldest with a broken leg.

He mopped the kitchen and did 4 loads of laundry. Then he did all the cooking over the weekend because I was just exhausted. He also let me nap while he mowed the yard. Wonderful!

He's super helpful!

• Like 2

Great thread! I am very thankful for my Dh!

In the last week Dh has:

picked my mom up from the hospital from an outpatient procedure and taken her home

vacuumed the house

cleaned up the kitchen after dinner twice

supervised bedtime several times

come home early or stayed home with kids so that I could run erands without them

got me flowers, a funny card and an Amazon gift card for my birthday

• Like 2

I would never be able to say enough good about my guy.

He has always helped with the kids and with the house - no job is too demeaning for him.

He has always considered me an equal partner in decisions in our marriage - no superiority whatsoever.

He listens to my ideas and will sometimes modify what he does based upon them.

He's super supportive when medical issues are at hand.

He likes going along with pretty much anything I want to do (activities, travel, etc).

He lets me handle the budget 100%, but he does taxes since I don't want to.

He'll give me freedom and space when I want it - for an hour, or a day, or whatever I need.

He has no desire to be out spending money on himself.

There's very, very little that I would ever be able to complain about. Between the two of us, he's the better person IMO

I'd think we were married to the same guy but mine has no time to hide a second family :D

Latest: when 2 yo started puking @ 10:45 last night, he bathed him while I cleaned up bedding and started laundry, then came in and scrubbed the carpet. Then he stayed up with kid and bucket until the puking ended @ 2:00 a.m., pausing to rotate laundry before he came to bed. He took the morning off because we were both beat, got up and helped older kids with schoolwork, and took a package to the PO for me on his way in to work for the afternoon. He's a good guy 💙💙💙

• Like 3

So many amazing things about my dh.

Today I just feel so grateful that he ALWAYS comes home from work excited to see us and energized for whatever we have in store for the evening. I remember how my own father used to come home, get in his chair with a beer and a book and put his forcefield up. He was never available to me emotionally or with his time. I am so glad I picked a husband whose greatest joy is to be around his family and lets us know it every single day in action and in words. *swoon*

• Like 2