Menu

My Dr. thinks that all my health problems stem from lack of/inadequate sleep

*Inna*

Adrenal Fatigue, extremely low energy levels, depression, inability to lose weight, weak immunity system etc.

I'm a very light sleeper, wake up several times during the night, prone to insomnia. :/

So, Dr. recommended to start with Melatonin. I've been taking 3mg for a few days - not a slightest difference. In fact, it's been harder to fall asleep. What in the world?!

I don't want to rely on sleep meds.

Help, Hive, please! :willy_nilly:

I sleep terribly and have all you issues as well. I got on an amazing sleep schedule while doing the Whole30. Its essentially a 30 day elimination diet and then after the 30 days you slowly reintroduce foods slowly to see if you have a sensitivity to any. After day 12, I slept phenomenally, had more energy, and felt better. It stayed that way until I had a dramatic experience happen that just made me give up on all my newly acquired eating habits. Now I'm just not mentally prepared to try again. I plan on it after I recover from my upcoming csection.

So I tell you this because it may be worth a try

melatonin didn't help me much either.   Look into Magnesium and see if that helps.   I take about 600mg. and I've noticed a huge improvement in my sleeping.  Sometimes if I know I'm going to have a bad night or something I also take a natural sleep aid I got from Whole Foods. It has Valerian and a few other things I can't remember.  Sorry.   But, it just a mild sleep aid.  What seems to have really helped me consistently is magnesium.

I sleep terribly and have all you issues as well. I got on an amazing sleep schedule while doing the Whole30. Its essentially a 30 day elimination diet and then after the 30 days you slowly reintroduce foods slowly to see if you have a sensitivity to any. After day 12, I slept phenomenally, had more energy, and felt better. It stayed that way until I had a dramatic experience happen that just made me give up on all my newly acquired eating habits. Now I'm just not mentally prepared to try again. I plan on it after I recover from my upcoming csection.

So I tell you this because it may be worth a try

I've been vegan for almost a year. While it helped a lot (clearer thinking, a bit higher energy level), it didn't do miracles.

I do believe I have a sensitivity to dairy .

melatonin didn't help me much either.   Look into Magnesium and see if that helps.   I take about 600mg. and I've noticed a huge improvement in my sleeping.  Sometimes if I know I'm going to have a bad night or something I also take a natural sleep aid I got from Whole Foods. It has Valerian and a few other things I can't remember.  Sorry.   But, it just a mild sleep aid.  What seems to have really helped me consistently is magnesium.

I take 800mg Magnesium. Thanks for recommending the natural sleep aid, I'll look into that.

While a Fitbit won't help the quality of your sleep, I've been fascinated to see my sleeping patterns tracked by the device.  I briefly wake up the same time every night and it usually takes me the same amount of time to fall and stay alseep.  Because of this information, I've been trying to transition to an earlier bedtime, fix my curtains so light from cars on the street doesn't filter in, watch my liquid intake before bedtime, etc. all in an effort to improve my sleep.  Sometimes just having that input helps to identify issues that might be causing sleep disruptions in the first place.

Inna, your diet might be part of the problem. Not everyone adapts well to a vegan diet. Had the doctor done blood work? Anemia, B12 and Vitamin D deficits in particular, can be a problem. D can be dealt with through adequate sun exposure, but B-12 isn't well absorbed by some people from the plant-based sources.

Also read up on melatonin. Adequate dosage can vary greatly between people, and you may be able to stimulate your own natural levels with exposure to natural light on the morning.

My rheumatologist has a three step program to help with fibromyalgia and step one is to restore stage 4 sleep.  But for most of us, melatonin doesn't do the trick.  I am on Trazadone and my daughter is on Sonata.  It has helped both of us, though not a cure all since we both have more going on than just fibromyalgia.

Read up on how your body makes melatonin. Reducing levels of blue light was the key for me to kick my ambien habit after eight years or so of insomnia. Going to bed and waking up the same time everyday also helps. You can look for products to help you at lowbluelights.com. The glasses really changed my life, and I believe you can return them if they don't help you. A sleep mask helps me sleep more deeply and stay asleep.

You can take more melatonin.  3mg wouldn't help me in the least. You might need to play around with the dosage and timing.

I take 5-10 of Melatonin (depending on where I am in my cycle) and a valerain capsule as well as 1 tsp of magnesium citrate.

You also have to work with the melatonin. It doesn't just make you fall asleep, you can easily shake it off.

You need to take it at about an hour before you want to go to bed, some people say 2 hours is better. Then, once you take it you need to start your bedtime routine and not watch TV or use a phone or computer...all those anti-melatonin sleep disruptors.

Then you also need to think about your sleep environment. I found a sleep mask to be extremely helpful.  I am getting an extra hour of sleep on average once I started using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Patented-SLEEP-MASTER-Sleep/dp/B0015NZ6FK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1422723362&sr=8-7&keywords=sleep+mask

Its the only one that I have liked. 

Amo_Mea_Filiis :No. Should I push for it? We have no insurance.

If you can swing it, yes. If you're waking, or failing to get deeper sleep because of apneas, that's a really big deal.

If you can't swing it (I know I wouldn't be able to without insurance!), then try everything else very seriously. If everything else doesn't help, look for funding help for a study.

On top of a sleep study (I was diagnosed 6 years ago at 98 pounds. It's not just an obesity issue), see where your D level is, give whole30 a try, add exercise, cut caffeine, and put some strict sleep hygiene (cutting screens after a certain time, cool room, etc) into place.

I've been vegan for almost a year. While it helped a lot (clearer thinking, a bit higher energy level), it didn't do miracles.

I do believe I have a sensitivity to dairy .

Vegan is not Whole 30. I find that when I am strict Whole 30 or Paleo I my sleep is amazing. If I'm not then I am up. All. Night. Long. Specifically I have to eliminate processed sugar and gluten. I eliminate those two things miracles literally do happen.

When I'm having difficulty sleeping, ear plugs help. I do have a little trouble fitting them in my ears (the foam kind), but if I get them well-seated, I tend to hear my own heart beat instead of husband snoring, cat bumping around, house noises, etc. I think I'm going to look at some other styles because they do help me to sleep better. My cat will wake me in the morning by walking on me, so I don't have to worry about not hearing an alarm!

When I'm having difficulty sleeping, ear plugs help. I do have a little trouble fitting them in my ears (the foam kind), but if I get them well-seated, I tend to hear my own heart beat instead of husband snoring, cat bumping around, house noises, etc. I think I'm going to look at some other styles because they do help me to sleep better. My cat will wake me in the morning by walking on me, so I don't have to worry about not hearing an alarm!

Ali, you may want to try silicone or wax ear plugs. (I can't get the foam kind to fit in my ears properly.) I typically use Mack's (but there are plenty of other brands too) & you can find them at the drugstore.

*Inna*, :grouphug: . I don't have any advice really, but supposedly cutting out added sugars (not naturally-occurring ones from fruits & vegs) will help. FYI, this blog post lists a lot of names that are used to indicate added sugars: https://eatingrules.com/names-for-sugar/

I recently tried Melatonin for sleep issues, some nights it is like a miracle knock out drug and sometimes I don't feel anything. I *think* for me I have multiple issues causing sleep issues, partly it is hormonal, when I got pregnant last time insomnia immediately kicked in and I couldn't do anything to help it and immediately after having her I started sleeping again with no other changes. Some of it is diet but I'm not exactly certain what, I can be on a strict Paleo diet and still not sleep and sleep like a rock sometimes. Magnesium doesn't touch it and neither does Benadryl, even though Benadryl used to knock me on my butt, it isn't strong enough for whatever is causing my off/on issues now. I try to be active and outside every day but yet again on my bad days it doesn't matter how exhausted I am I cannot sleep.

I posted with the same issues a yearish ago, but now I know it was all due to a gluten allergy. The gluten caused chronic fatigue and the weight, sleep, depression etc. were all caused by the fatigue. I also find exercising to the point of exhaustion right before bed makes me sleep great. Good luck.

The doctor I trust strongly recommended l-theanine, along with relaxation type things, to help adrenal fatigue. He does like melatonin, too, but it's not great at helping a person stay asleep. Time release may work better for that.

Have you had a sleep study? You want to know if there is underlying reason for the restless sleep. A sleep study could help rule some things in or out.

Adrenal Fatigue, extremely low energy levels, depression, inability to lose weight, weak immunity system etc.

I'm a very light sleeper, wake up several times during the night, prone to insomnia. :/

So, Dr. recommended to start with Melatonin. I've been taking 3mg for a few days - not a slightest difference. In fact, it's been harder to fall asleep. What in the world?!

My d-i-l-the-nurse says (and I have read this, also) that melatonin does not aid sleep unless the person already is deficient in that hormone. 

I have had sleep disruption, or insomnia, for many years.  Frankly, after these forty years, I don't care what someone wishes to call it. 

If melatonin proves helpful, a higher dose is safe, according to our pediatric psych. 

Your doctor might be right.  Or, he might be wrong.  My own thoughts include that insufficient sleep definitely correlate with seemingly unrelated health problems. 

Possibly, checking out this website could yield some useful information:  http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/

Almost all of the sleep medications are potential problems, I agree.  (as does our GP)  Some of the herbal substances are fairly safe, but not all.  These, coupled with ruthless avoidance of caffeine, get me through -- some of the time.

Hope you find a safe and effective solution! 

In the hospital they give Benedryl instead of traditional sleeping pills, because it is non-addictive.

It's not a long term solution, but it might be wise to take it for a couple of weeks to get your body into the habit of sleeping soundly.  Just one at night, not a longterm but a short term tablet, would do it.

Benadryl now is "The Enemy" for me, as are all anticholinergic medications.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

As I continue watching my mother die from Alzheimer's, knowing that I am a potential victim myself, there is no way that I shall take any more Unisom.

Have you started at the very beginning?

Exact same bedtime every night (inc Fri and Sat) and exact same wake up time every morning (incl Sat and Sun.) Sleep time and wake up time should be 8-9 hours apart.

Not looking at screens for an hour or more before bedtime.

Reserving the bedroom for sleeping only (not for laundry folding or tv watching, etc.)

Not drinking lots of water right before going to bed.

There are more simple things like that. Google for tips on getting good sleep. Before you go down the road of meds and herbs and whatever, try the simple stuff.

Do you have sleep apnea? Is your breathing regular (in out in out in out) for long stretches, or does the pattern change every few minutes? My dh has sleep apnea. I never heard him stop breathing, but his patterns constantly change. I didn't realize it was because he was constantly rousing out of sleep.

Ravin, thank you for your response. I've been dealing with low Vitamin D levels for a while. I take 10,000 U a day now. I take B-Complex every day as well.

For several years now, I've been tracking my sleep in relation to my Vitamin D.  For me I have to keep my D very high (Like well above the top of normal level) and I sleep soundly every night.  Anytime my blood level is below about 100, I start waking up multiple times a night and have a hard time getting back to sleep.  My doctor doesn't understand the correlation (and frankly neither do I  but the only thing I'm changing is my Vitamin D dosage and my sleep patterns change) but she said It's really hard to overdose on D and since I see such a clear difference, she is fine with my keeping my levels that high.

If you have blood work done ask them to check your ferritin levels.  It is different than iron levels and needs a specific test.  Low ferritin is known to cause restless leg syndrome, which can cause sleep disturbance.  The neurologist is the one who tested me and said that it is a very common and often overlooked cause of feeling exhausted all the time. 

Thank you so much for your responses! :thumbup:

Stress is definitely an issue. 2014 was a horrendous year stress-wise (marriage, health, relationships, you name it) and 2015 is shaping up in the same pattern. So, while I understand WHY I could be having problems with sleep, I need to find a way to deal with all of this without breaking down physically. My plate is piled high. :nopity:

I have had sleep issues for as long as I can remember (since childhood;I'm mid-40s now).  At least twice a week, I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.  My rule for myself is that I lay in bed for an hour, hoping to go back to sleep.  If I can't sleep in that time, I get up.  Usually, I get up.  :(

Last year I had a sleep study.   The results were (paraphrased): "You have sleep issues, but it's not a big deal.  We have no recommendations for you."

When I filled out the review for the hospital, I mentioned that I had a lifetime of chronic and frequent sleep issues, but their lab and professionals hadn't been able to help me at all.  They sent me an apologetic invitation for a second test, but I haven't followed up on it.  Loverboy needs to take time off work, and we have a little one that still nurses to sleep.  I dread the number of wires they attach to me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

My super awesome general practitioner has recommended a Pulse Ox test next.   It won't tell us as much as another sleep study, but I can take the finger attachment home and wear it overnight.  I will return it to the doctor's office the next day so he can evaluate the data on it.

In the hospital they give Benedryl instead of traditional sleeping pills, because it is non-addictive.

It's not a long term solution, but it might be wise to take it for a couple of weeks to get your body into the habit of sleeping soundly. Just one at night, not a longterm but a short term tablet, would do it.

Just had a dr's appt this week and he said the same. He also said nothing that emits bluelight light cellphones, computers, etc. an hour before bed.

Have you been tested for an MTHFR mutation?

For me, just cutting out all caffeine and dealing with stress better has pretty much solved the problem.  (But that's me....)

I found I had to cut caffeine out for several days before I noticed any effect.  It was still in my system a couple days later.

Since then, I've found I can add back in some weak tea in the morning.  Caffeinated soda, however, is still a problem, even if I don't drink much of it.  However, I've also found that even small amounts of caffeinated soda cause arthritis flare ups, so I suspect there's more going on there than just the caffeine keeping me awake.

For dealing with stress -- lots and lots of exercise.  To the point where I don't get anything else done.  But if I can do that for a few days or a week and get the sleep under control then I have more time for everything.  I just figure I'm sick for those few days.

I still wake up a lot in the night, but if things are going well, I eventually get back to sleep most nights.

I actually drink more fluids just before bed.  Then my bladder is full earlier in the night so I can get up for the bathroom during the period of time when getting back to sleep is more likely.  If I limit fluids, I find I still have to get up but later in the night.  And then I don't get back to sleep.

I ranted earlier but didn't finish my thoughts. To me the big question is, what is causing the sleep issues in the first place? As whatever it is that is helping you fall asleep may or may not address that. As I mentioned I believe it is multifaceted to me, some of it hormonal (I still have issues waking 3 days or so my period), some of it is diet (adopting a gf and paleo diet certainly helped), thyroid (my sleep greatly improved starting thyroid pills), etc. I think sometimes your body can get into a bad pattern as well and you just need to get readjusted, it took me a month after taking one dose of pseudoephedrine to get back in a good pattern of sleep. 

I've followed all the rules of good sleep forever, no lights, not even an alarm clock, curtains drawn etc. I avoid screens, try to be active, get sunlight. I cannot be too active right before bed as it revs me up. Too low carbs and I cannot sleep at all, you have to watch lowering your carbs too low if you have thyroid issues. Low carb used to work fabulously for me but now it does not. I'm no where near the average person's levels of carbs but my diet wouldn't qualify for lc or vlc either. 

I did recently try l-theanine and didn't notice any effect, I wonder if I should have taken it longer. 

Amo_Mea_Filiis :No. Should I push for it? We have no insurance.

I will warn you, it can cost upwards of $5,000 just for the sleep study alone.

I had to go twice.   Each night was $2,500.

However, I couldn't even go until I had first seen the sleep doctor ($200) and had to have two follow ups ($150 each) with her.  One after the first sleep study and one after the other.  So, total of $500 there.

Then the CPAP costs about $1,500.

Total cost was about $7,000.

Insurance covered most of it, but without insurance, I am not sure I would do it.  I think I paid about $300 of the $7,000.

Do you snore?  Do you wake up feeling out of breath?  Do a google search for symptoms of sleep apnea.

I have a friend currently who has it but they do not have insurance right now (or they do, but the deductible is so high they don't get benefits from it).  But they KNOW he has it.  She is looking into getting him a used CPAP machine (Resmed S9 because it is self regulating).  That should run her about $500 only.

Dawn

Could you please elaborate on that?

Not much, it's not something I've dealt with.  I have acquaintances who've spoken about it briefly, so what I know personally is very small.

However.  Here's an article about it which seems to give a cursory introduction:  http://doctordoni.com/2014/04/folic-acid-and-mthfr-could-you-have-a-genetic-mutation.html

It often affects B12 levels, which you said you've struggled with.  How it relates to sleep seems to be that the B12 isn't absorbed or used well, and B12 is needed for sleep.   So while the cause of all your problems may be lack of sleep, it's possible that vitamin malabsorption is (part of) the cause of lack of sleep.

Anyway, maybe do some reading on it and see if you think it's worth speaking to your doctor about.

Oh. my. That's what I've been afraid of.

But please make sure you read my bottom line.....you can pick up a used machine for under $500.  It needs to be the self regulating kind so that you don't need a doctor to calibrate it for you.

Maybe you could even find someone with a machine to loan you for a week.  You would just need the face mask (or in my case the nose pillows for $10 on ebay) to try it out.

There is some free software you can use to monitor your own sleep patterns from the machine.  I am just learning about the free software myself and plan to download it and then upload my card from my machine and see what I find.

Dawn

We have found that buying new cpap from certain stores is much cheaper than insurance. DH's next one will run about 500. Our insurance does not play a dime until we hit the deductible so this is cheaper for us.

Where do you get a new one for $500?  Is it a self adjusting one?

Please believe me, I am so not a pusher of herbal remedies, but when I was having bad insomnia an herbalist friend suggested this and I started making a tea. It's strong. It works. So don't drink some and drive. Have it about 30 mins. before bed:

Lemon Balm. Google it to get all the info. I finally found it in a health food type store. If I recall right, Whole Foods didn't even have it.

Another suggestion that I still do: pajamas for your head. They're ear phones that let me listen to music or talk radio (turned down really low). The droning puts me back to sleep if I wake up at night. It works amazingly well.

Third, I had been taking a med that I needed, but I should have been taking it in the a.m. I was taking it around 3 p.m. and I'm pretty sure that med was causing my problems.

I hope something here is helpful. Insomnia is the pits.

Alley

Inna ,I did not read the entire thread so i hope this is not a repeat but my ds is low on D3 and taking the d3 after 1 in the afternoon keeps him awake at night,he is on multiple medictions and 2 out of 3 cannot be taken after 2 pm.

The Dr's had no clue it was the medicines causing the insomnia.That kid would not sleep till 3-4 am !

I have altered the timing of all his medications and he is low on d3 like 13 but any dose more than 2000 iu causes him severe insomnia no matter when he takes it.

Maybe you can look into that and see if you can change the timing?HTH ,GL