Menu

What to serve guests with little children?

PeterPan

I need to do dinner tomorrow and lunch the next day.  I'm thinking low key.  I have a bag of frozen chicken breasts and some beef hot dogs (nitrate-free).  The kids will be 6,4,4,3 I think, something like that.  The 6 yo is mine and he eats salad, wild rice, typical adult stuff.  I just don't know what most people's 4 yos eat to make a good guess. I could slice the hot dogs into the baked beans or leave them separate.  Is that crazy?  Do most people eat that?  Then I'd do something nice with the chicken for the adults.  Then I was thinking some kind of soup for the next day.  

Is that at all on track?  Any suggestions? I just think there's nothing more embarrassing to people than showing up and realizing their kid won't eat ANYTHING the host put in front of them.  Trying to be kid-friendly here!

I think I would leave the hot dogs separate, then you would have at least two choices for the kids-hot dogs and/or baked beans. Plus, hot dogs by themselves are pretty familiar to kids. They can always mix the two if they want, but it is not quite so easy to separate. I keep Cheerios, cheese and crackers, and peanut butter and jelly for kids who don't like what is offered. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Do you have bread and maybe some fruit to serve with the soup? Depending on the soup, maybe some cheese and crackers as well? It could be a snack or appetizer for the adults but be an alternate meal option for the kids if they don't like the other food.

I agree that many kids that age would like breaded or grilled chicken. I'd leave the hot dogs separate from the beans, too, or you could ask the parents which they would prefer. With chicken, hot dogs, and beans, I think you have some good options. My kids would have eaten those things at that age.

Oh duh, you're right!  As long as I have the basic alternates, they have a polite way out, duh.  That's perfect.  So leave the doggies plain.  That's fine too.  And you're right, I can make my chicken dish and then just *offer* the mom which she wants for them (chicken or doggies).  That works.

If you can add some fruit, I think most kids will eat strawberries, grapes, bananas, cutie oranges, etc. That way if you have some super health-conscious moms the hot dog factor will be cut down by the fruit. But then again, I live in a hipster town so my perspective is probably skewed. Free range gluten free non-GMO locally sourced... you get the picture. It can be a rough crowd. We go rounds every year when we decide what to offer at our music camp snack cart... 

Sounds like you have a good plan. Although, remember that even kids that eat "real food" don't always eat what their own families offer them at meals. :) So if your young guests don't eat something, it's not a reflection on what you chose to offer. I sometimes feel guilty when a host asks what my children prefer and then they don't eat heartily when they're offered one of their choices. Their appetites fluctuate.

Great suggestion from others about options to have with the soup. We do soup for supper at our house often in the winter months, but our 3 year olds don't eat lots of it.

Erica in OR

Our standard 'go-to' food for any informal meal with other families is the Great DIY salad. We buy a ton of salad vegetables plus a good variety of meats and non-meat alternatives, bread (gluten-free if necessary), dressings and a few extras like kalamata olives and semi-dried tomatoes (those mainly for the adults). Give each diner a plate and let them have at it. We always have fruit available as well, and I haven't yet had a kid who wouldn't eat *anything* that was available.

My kids would eat chicken or hot dogs, and it's totally a toss-up between which of them would choose which of the two on any given day. But I have generally pretty non-picky kids who will pretty much eat anything. They'd probably eat soup (although for the littler ones, if it's a veggie type soup, I'll strain out most of the liquid because it's messy), although I'm sure they also wouldn't object to fruit, cheese, bread, crackers, that sort of thing. Chances are high that they'll be happy to eat something on the table, and if they were so picky that they wouldn't even eat the sides, I'd bring food for them.

Most 3 and 4 year olds I have known didn’t like mixed foods.  They might eat hot dogs and baked beans if served separately.  They might even dip hot dog pieces into the beans.  But, if served hot dogs mixed in beans, they would refuse to eat either.

I wouldn’t make hot dogs unless I knew the children would eat them though.  In my experience, most children who eat hot dogs also eat chicken.  Fruit, vegetables, bread, and cheese provide options for those who don’t care for the main course.  I agree that asking the mother is the safest option.  (If she has picky eaters, she’s probably already planning to bring something she knows they will eat.)

Agreeing that the safest bet is to keep foods as separated as possible. (single ingredient dishes) Fruit/veggie tray, hot dog, chicken, beans, cheese, crackers will usually have something that they can eat. Then, you can always have a backup of pbj available in the kitchen. As the mom of a picky and an allergy kid, I usually have something they will/can eat in my bag or have fed them before hand because I know how picky they can be. Do not take offense if someone shows up with separate food or snack for a picky or allergy kid. (Dd 22 usually brings a Subway sandwich to gatherings involving food. She is allergic to 99% of food items and just can't take the chance.)

Ask. It makes me nuts when people assume kids won't eat real food so they put out junk for them. My kids will eat real food, but would rather have junk if it's an option. I prefer not having them have the option as often as possible, especially when the alternative is really good stuff.

I usually just serve whatever I am serving for adults but make sure there are a few kid-friendly sides (e.g., mac and cheese, baked apples).

If I want to do a really fun, kid-focused meal and don't mind some chaos and mess, make-your-own pizzas are always a hit.  For the crust you can make your own dough or use bagels or refrigerator biscuits or naan or whatever.  Then have sauce and a variety of toppings and let the kids each make their own.

Oh duh, you're right!  As long as I have the basic alternates, they have a polite way out, duh.  That's perfect.  So leave the doggies plain.  That's fine too.  And you're right, I can make my chicken dish and then just *offer* the mom which she wants for them (chicken or doggies).  That works.

This is my preference.  I don't really like it when I go places and there is something delicious for the adults and then just hot dogs or mac & cheese for the kids.  My kids will of course choose those, but they would have eaten the other, usually healthier food just fine.  One of mine would generally prefer whatever the adults have.  I know that some parents prefer the "kid" food for their kids, so this is a good compromise.

If you can add some fruit, I think most kids will eat strawberries, grapes, bananas, cutie oranges, etc. That way if you have some super health-conscious moms the hot dog factor will be cut down by the fruit. But then again, I live in a hipster town so my perspective is probably skewed. Free range gluten free non-GMO locally sourced... you get the picture. It can be a rough crowd. We go rounds every year when we decide what to offer at our music camp snack cart...

Our family never had hot dogs. But one of my favorite go-to meals for when my dc that age had friends over was chicken breasts/tenders, served with mashed potatoes and broccoli with soy sauce. Iirc, the broccoli was fun to pick up and wave around, as well as eat, lol.

I love the big salad idea pp suggested. And what about mini bagels to go with the soup?

Btw, you sound like a great and caring hostess!

I wouldn't cut up the hot dogs into the beans. The kids probably prefer them plain or on a bun.

Can you make mac-n-cheese? Most 3 or 4 year olds are guaranteed to eat that. Also, plain grilled chicken or breaded chicken tenders.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

More options would be:

buttered noodles (spaghetti, shells what ever)

veggie dippers with ranch

lunchmeat with cheese and crackers

toast with butter/peanut butter/jam (good as a snack especially with the PB and some dried fruit)

If you can I would definitely ask the child's parents. 

Thanks ladies for all the tips!!  I went pork butt instead of chicken and it's in the crockpot.  Simple sides, hot dogs as alternate if they won't eat the pork.  I like the fruit idea, so I'll work on that.  And rice krispies for dessert, yum!

yummmm! Rice krispy treats...I think I may have to run to the store for some marshmallows!!!

I usually have pizza or mac and cheese with little kids.  Nuggets would work too.

When I had only DS< this would have been my go-tos. Then I had DD.

She had a dairy sensitivity as a baby. She SEEMS to have outgrown it -- but she still doesn't eat a lot of dairy. Including pizza and mac and cheese. (And ice cream. She's consistent on the dessert side as well). Hot dogs and chicken and other meat though is generally safe.

So let those of us who like to live vicariously through others how it went!  

Well the pork butt is in the electric roaster, hopefully burbling and cooking.  Dd made sliced apples and some kind of dip for the fruit.  She prepped some kind of potato casserole (yum!) and I think made bean dip.  I need to find out if she made the rice krispy treats yet.  We're just going real simple here.  I think we didn't have cabbage so she might be making a salad.  We eat all organic and that gets really expensive with company.  That's why I dance around things, because I'm trying to pick things that are less expensive.  It's just not cool to serve dinner and have it cost $100, kwim?  One organic salad for one person (3 cups, a variety) is basically $5, so it can get very expensive very fast!  The apples were conventional.  Not nice to serve other people pesticides, but they'd eat it anyway.  

Well I have to tidy the table and get ready!  I'm sure it will be fine.  We are trying Mergath's recipe for the pork butt, so that will be our adventure.  You slather it with goodness and then pour apple cider vinegar in the bottom of the pot while cooking.  I have no clue if it will work or not, but with that much pig I don't see how it can go wrong.  :D

Well the pork butt is in the electric roaster, hopefully burbling and cooking. Dd made sliced apples and some kind of dip for the fruit. She prepped some kind of potato casserole (yum!) and I think made bean dip. I need to find out if she made the rice krispy treats yet. We're just going real simple here. I think we didn't have cabbage so she might be making a salad. We eat all organic and that gets really expensive with company. That's why I dance around things, because I'm trying to pick things that are less expensive. It's just not cool to serve dinner and have it cost $100, kwim? One organic salad for one person (3 cups, a variety) is basically $5, so it can get very expensive very fast! The apples were conventional. Not nice to serve other people pesticides, but they'd eat it anyway.

Well I have to tidy the table and get ready! I'm sure it will be fine. We are trying Mergath's recipe for the pork butt, so that will be our adventure. You slather it with goodness and then pour apple cider vinegar in the bottom of the pot while cooking. I have no clue if it will work or not, but with that much pig I don't see how it can go wrong. :D

Rice Krispie treats -- why didn't I think of that? The whole meal sounds wonderful. I have never cooked a pork butt, not even sure what it is. Is Mergath's recipe on this tread -- i didn't find it.

Not really much use now, but as the mum of one horrible eater, I'd suggest keeping stuff separate as much as possible. That way if the kid likes carrots they can enjoy them. Chuck everything in a salad with a dressing and they won't touch it. My difficult kid will eat quite a range of healthy food, but it doesn't look that way when we're out as he doesn't love the sauces and dressings that get put on them.

Ask. Just ask before you waste money on food that they may or may not eat. 

My two will eat chicken nuggets if that's what's offered, but given a choice they almost always would rather be eating the same food as the adults, and when we got home my oldest would certainly complain (in private) about his meal. 

I have a kid who will eat anything so it took a few dinner party "fails" to figure out that many kids need something more plain.  My new habit is to always serve the same meal to everyone but earlier in the day, I grill up a few grilled cheese sandwiches and put them in the fridge.  I can pop as many as I need in the oven at the last minute if I have a child-guest that does not want the planned meal.  I can usually discretely ask a parent before the meal is served so no one is put on the spot.  And if we don't use them, they make great lunches for dh to take to work.  I always have applesauce and fresh fruit on hand to supplement the grill cheese if necessary.  If all of that fails, I just be sure any hungry kids get a double portion of desert.  It might not be healthy but better than hunger-induced meltdown.

Ask. It makes me nuts when people assume kids won't eat real food so they put out junk for them. My kids will eat real food, but would rather have junk if it's an option. I prefer not having them have the option as often as possible, especially when the alternative is really good stuff.

YES!!  I know OP's dinner is a moot point, but YES!  When I take my kids to someone's house for a meal, barring my oldest's allergy issues, I want them to eat what we eat.  Yes, even if they don't prefer it.  I specifically work on them at home not to say, "That's yucky," or, "I don't want that," because I want them to be good dinner guests for others.  DH has taught them to say, "That's not my favorite," as a nice way to tell mom you don't like what she made for you. :)  If you offer them chicken nuggets, a burger, mac'n'cheese, etc, they will always opt for that, but I prefer they expand their horizons and learn how to interact in a setting where maybe the food is not their favorite burger.

My policy on this is that if my boys truly don't like the food they are served at someone else's house, but they are polite and considerate about it (meaning they try to eat some and don't express obvious dislike to the hosts), then I will fix them something else at home like a PBJ.

When I cook for others, I do try to have a variety of sides to go with the main course so hopefully something on the table is appealing, but unless someone has specific allergies or serious aversions, I don't fix separate stuff.  If a mom wants to go use my kitchen to make her kid some chicken nuggets or grilled cheese or whatever because that's how they do things at home, then I'm okay with that too, but usually I'm not together enough to think of making separate meals for kids.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate consideration for our dietary needs, but if you're (general) fixing a meal, fix it for everyone!!