Menu

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Jasperstone

Hmm, having trouble posting this morning-- this was supposed to be in my last post...

Quoting myself from last year's thread on this topic:

We celebrate Yule (Winter Solstice) and have a Yule tree.  It doesn't bother me at all if people think it's a Christmas tree, or that all the other pagan customs we have that overlap with Christmas traditions are for Christmas.  The season can be about whatever you want it to be about.   I also think it's sweet when people wish me a Merry Christmas-  I take if for the well-intentioned happy greeting it is meant to be, and smile and say it back. 

and...

We bring evergreens and holly into the house this time of year as a reminder of those things that stay green and alive through the darkest, coldest days of winter.  It's a celebration of the fact that the winter solstice means warmer, sunny days ahead.  *snipped* we're celebrating the change of seasons and cyclical nature of life.  (Obviously I don't speak for all pagans.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's happy holidays for us because a lot of tech companies take Christmas to New Years off due to manufacturing taking a break. Most people don't mind the extra paid days off.

Hubby doesn't need to work on the 26th but he gets paid.

I don't mind anyone wishing whatever seasons greetings as long as they don't invite me to church.

We say either, depending more on what the other person says to us first.

Christmas was a much bigger deal (and more stressful) to us before we became Christians, when it was a secular holiday to us.

After we became Christians, read our Bibles, and looked into the history of Dec. 25th... We can take it or leave it, so don't make a point to use a special greeting.

(Not debating the origins, just saying what we do.)

I often wonder if people were more educated about the origins of the words/phrases they use and the holidays they celebrate if they'd be a lot less passionate about defending them.

Maybe I'll start wishing people a "Merry Christ's Mass" and see what kind of reaction I get. ;)

I say Merry Christmas because *I* am celebrating Christmas..if you are celebrating something else, than by all means wish me a happy Hannukah or a happy Kwanzaa or whatever you are celebrating. I certainly am not offended by you wishing me a happy whatever holiday you celebrate. I am however offended when I am told not to wish anyone a Merry Christmas because I might offend someone. I am celebrating Christmas, if that offends you personally and you personally tell me to not say that to you, I am happy to apologize and respect your wishes and wish you personally a happy whatever you wish instead. I don't like repressive blanket pc statements.

I say Merry Christmas because *I* am celebrating Christmas..if you are celebrating something else, than by all means wish me a happy Hannukah or a happy Kwanzaa or whatever you are celebrating. I certainly am not offended by you wishing me a happy whatever holiday you celebrate. I am however offended when I am told not to wish anyone a Merry Christmas because I might offend someone. I am celebrating Christmas, if that offends you personally and you personally tell me to not say that to you, I am happy to apologize and respect your wishes and wish you personally a happy whatever you wish instead. I don't like repressive blanket pc statements.

I will wish you a Merry Christmas and will enjoy it if you wish it back since I too am celebrating Christmas.  But I do not purposely wish Merry Christmas to my Jewish friends because *I* am celebrating Christmas. 

I have never met anyone who is offended by what I celebrate, nor am I offended by anyone else's cultural, religious or familial holidays.  Let's get that straight.  But what is repressive about wishing anyone good cheer?  I am really missing something here.

I say Merry Christmas unless it's a different holiday we're talking about.  For those people or groups who celebrate more than one holiday, I'll say Happy Holidays if it makes sense in the context.

I go to Divali and Eid parties.  I asked my non-Christian friend, what would those crowds think if I showed up and said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Divali" or "Eid Mubarak"?  She said that would be kind of ridiculous.

Yeah I am really unclear on why anyone would knowingly wish someone a happy whatever holiday if they know they do not celebrate it.

I'm not talking about my possibly-inoffensive Merry Christmas faux pas to a Muslim woman.  I mean - why would I wish my Jewish dentist a Merry Christmas?  He's not celebrating it, and I know he is not celebrating it.   That to me seems rude.  Saying Merry Christmas to the clerk in the store or other people I encounter, great.  Saying it to someone when I know it is meaningless to them... not the same.

I must say that no one has ever expressed offense at my saying Merry Christmas.  I have been told it may be offensive to wish nonChristians a Merry Christmas but I have never encountered that.

I sometimes have the urge in December to reply to "Merry Christmas" with a confused look and "Um ... Joy of Advent?"

But I don't because my religion specifically teaches Don't Be a Jerk Especially to People Just Trying to Get Through the Day Like Everyone Else. I'm pretty sure that was one of the Anathemas of the Council of Trent.

So I go for smiling pleasantly and repeating back whatever greeting I just got.

I don't celebrate anything this time of year, but certainly am not offended by greetings from random strangers, store clerks, etc. I know it is a festive time for the majority of people, and always reply, "thanks, you too," to whatever greeting is offered.

For close friends who know my religious affiliation and vice versa, I tell them, "Enjoy your holiday! "

Merry Christmas to you, too!

I usually say Happy Holidays unless someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, in which case I cheerfully wish them a Merry Christmas right back.  We are Jewish and do not celebrate Christmas, but I am all in favor of more peace, love and goodwill between men.  

I will say that what I assume is the market-based logic for the "Happy Holidays" trend at commercial establishments was driven home to me this past weekend, when I took my three children to Whole Foods.  There was a "Happy Hanukkah" sign hanging from the ceiling, along with, of course other signs saying "Merry Christmas" and "Joyous Kwanzaa."   My older two boys were blown away by this sign (it's probably relevant that we live in the South, although I often think that with homeschooling and all, most of the whole Christmas madness just passes us by).  They dragged me over to see it with my very own eyes, and did I notice that it was blue and white?!  Like the Israeli flag!

And all I kept thinking was, "Well played, Whole Foods, well played.  Build that brand loyalty young and then some day they'll walk in and willingly pay $8 for a bag of potato chips."

I don't really say anything, at all.  I'm kinda shy (believe it or not) so I don't just go around saying greetings.  If someone says "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" I just just smile and say, "You, too."  I especially would never tell someone, "Merry Christmas" if I knew they didn't celebrate it.  If someone said some holiday greeting that I didn't celebrate, I would probably just smile??  Not really sure.

I have been sniped at for both Merry Christmas ("How dare you assume that everyone is Christian you selfish, unenlightened blockhead!" ) and Happy Holidays ("How evil you are for not understanding the TRUE meaning of the season!"). I have been somewhat jokingly thinking about reviving Seasons Greetings. What do you think? Or maybe "Please enjoy the festivities mandated by your faith of choice, or in case of non-celebratory atheism, agnosticism, or cynicism just have a nice December"? :tongue_smilie: Kind of hard to fit on a card though....

Have you actually been told not to wish anyone a Merry Christmas and that it's offensive, or are you just assuming it happens because angry pundits say it does?  It's never happened to me.  It's never happened to anyone I know.  And believe me, we've discussed it.  Sane people really don't care what you say when the intent is that you're wishing them well.

I'm going to get offended at happy holidays because the word holiday comes from holy day & I'm an atheist..... 

JK!

I don't care. Both are sort of meaningless phrases. It's just social lubricant. Like have a nice day, have a good weekend... In one ear, out the other. Snarky me is usually saying "don't tell me what to do" when people say that one though LOL 

A long Christian blessing type thing would probably make me a bit twitchy but otoh, I've been blessed by all sorts of people in various languages & traditions & I think mostly what they were all saying in their own way is "I hope the best for you, may you be surrounded by love and happiness & good health" and I don't think anyone can argue with that.

Have you actually been told not to wish anyone a Merry Christmas and that it's offensive, or are you just assuming it happens because angry pundits say it does?  It's never happened to me.  It's never happened to anyone I know.  And believe me, we've discussed it.  Sane people really don't care what you say when the intent is that you're wishing them well.

yeah, I think this is one of those things mostly made up to get people outraged about "pushy secularists".

I say Merry Christmas to about 1/2 my friends and Happy Holidays to the other half. 3/4 of my family gets Happy Hanukkah and the other 1/4 gets Merry Christmas. I really don't care what someone says to me, I will return their greeting of choice back to them with a thank you.

I am happy for any greeting that genuinely wishes goodwill to the receiver. Don't read too much into it, and accept the goodwill with grace and return the favor with whatever phrase you can say with genuine cheer.

Life is too short for these kinds of crazy, petty arguments.

Feliz Navidad, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukah, Happy Kwanza, Blessings on your week, Have a lovely day, Enjoy your weekend, ... just be kind to one another.

I wish people I don't know well "Happy Holidays!" because I don't know which holidays they are celebrating. A number of different holidays are celebrated at this time of year. At the very least, people usually have some time off work or school. So I am wishing them happiness in what they are celebrating.

I am celebrating Advent, Christmas, and New Year. So I wish people who I know are also celebrating Christmas,  a Merry Christmas.

I often wonder if people were more educated about the origins of the words/phrases they use and the holidays they celebrate if they'd be a lot less passionate about defending them.

Maybe I'll start wishing people a "Merry Christ's Mass" and see what kind of reaction I get. ;)

I just can't help but say, "Nice avatar!" My shih tzu Pomeranian mix looks similar to your pooch. So cute!!!

What a way to spread Christmas cheer!

I've never heard of this perspective before and am confused.

I thought the greeting was a wish for the recipient of the message. I don't say, " Happy birthday"  to other people because I'm celebrating my birthday, for instance. When I wish someone a Merry Christmas, I am wishing them a happy celebration of Christmas. When I wish them Happy holidays, I am wishing them happiness in whatever holiday they are celebrating.

I am celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday, but I would not say , "Merry Christmas" to someone I knew was Jewish or Muslim because I am celebrating Christmas.  Would you? How could they have a merry Christmas if they don't celebrate it? And I would find it confusing if a Muslim person who knew me wished me a Happy Eid . It would be different if I was in a Muslim country and it was that time of year. Is that what you are saying?

Either is great. I say merry Christmas, but happy holidays is great too! :) Im not in the group of,"I'm offended" because I want the holidays to be happy for all! I know some friends that don't believe in Christmas, and so I just smile and hug them when I see them. You see, I feel that love for others is soooo important during this time of year, and for all year for that matter.

I've never heard of this perspective before and am confused.

I thought the greeting was a wish for the recipient of the message. I don't say, " Happy birthday" to other people because I'm celebrating my birthday, for instance. When I wish someone a Merry Christmas, I am wishing them a happy celebration of Christmas. When I wish them Happy holidays, I am wishing them happiness in whatever holiday they are celebrating.

I am celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday, but I would not say , "Merry Christmas" to someone I knew was Jewish or Muslim because I am celebrating Christmas. Would you? How could they have a merry Christmas if they don't celebrate it? And I would find it confusing if a Muslim person who knew me wished me a Happy Eid . It would be different if I was in a Muslim country and it was that time of year. Is that what you are saying?

If I "knew" they did not celebrate Christmas, I would not say it. However, the majority of people in America still celebrate Christmas religious or not-- so I work on that premise unless otherwise told. I celebrate the birth of Jesus at Christmas (yes I am well aware He was not born on Dec. 25) but I do not walk around saying Happy "Happy Birthday Jesus" Day to people on the streets...but Christmas in some capacity is celebrated by the majority...

I go to Divali and Eid parties.  I asked my non-Christian friend, what would those crowds think if I showed up and said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Happy Divali" or "Eid Mubarak"?  She said that would be kind of ridiculous.

Weird. Very few people who are not Muslim say "Eid Mubarak" so I'm just happy when a non-Muslim even notices it's a holiday enough to say "happy holidays." I'll take it.  :D

As far as the larger topic, I say whatever seems appropriate to the situation for the December/January holidays for various faiths. It's called "using your best judgment." I was going to say "discernment" but I believe that has other meanings in Christianity? So...secular discernment.  ;)

Wishing everyone happy days and nights.  :grouphug:

I'm never offended when someone wishes me a "happy", "merry", "jolly", "good", "nice", anything.  Even if it's a celebration of faith I don't belong to.

I go back and forth on what I use. I'm as likely to hear one as the other around here. 

I only celebrate Christmas myself, but "Happy Holidays" covers everything (Hanukkah, Christmas, St. Nicholas' Day, Advent, New Year's Winter Solstice,Yule, Kwanza, Epiphany, Saturnalia, and probably other stuff I'm unaware of or mislabeled) and I'm just as happy to say it as to hear it.

I say Merry Christmas unless it's a different holiday we're talking about.  For those people or groups who celebrate more than one holiday, I'll say Happy Holidays if it makes sense in the context.

I think she was humoring you.

Merry Christmas is just what comes out because it's what I celebrate.  If I know the person has a different faith tradition, I say Happy Holidays.  Really, though, this is a case where it's the thought that counts.  The intent is a positive one, so take it that way.

I spent many years in retail and had my head bit off a couple of times  for saying Merry Christmas.  Really, it's just involuntary.  But people get mean over dumb things.

....and Ramadan.  Doesn't Ramadan sometimes fall in December, or am I remembering it wrong?

It does but it will be a long time before it does again. It's a lunar calendar so the holiday moves 11 days earlier by the Gregorian calendar. It was in July this year.

The only people I have ever, ever, ever encountered who become offended by a holiday related greeting of any kind are people who want to "defend Christmas". As in "it's merry Christmas damnit!" Uh, ok. Back away slowly. Personally, I think they need to get a more interesting war to fight. Fortunately, these sorts seem to be very rare. FWIW, I usually say "Merry Christmas".

I say "Happy Holidays" unless I know they're Christian. A greeting is for the benefit of the other person, not myself, so why would I greet everyone with "Merry Christmas" just because I'm Christian?

It's just custom here in Oz to presume everyone does. No one has ever said Happy Holidays to me.

Merry Christmas is just what comes out because it's what I celebrate. If I know the person has a different faith tradition, I say Happy Holidays. Really, though, this is a case where it's the thought that counts. The intent is a positive one, so take it that way.

I spent many years in retail and had my head bit off a couple of times for saying Merry Christmas. Really, it's just involuntary. But people get mean over dumb things.

Okay, so you are getting told not to say it. I wonder when that started up being the norm in retail?

Just wondering if that will be transferred to Australia anytime soon. ....

To my knowledge, the only people likely to be told not to say Merry Christmas are the poor souls working retail. If they're told to use a specific greeting, they have to use that one. Some of them are told not to say Happy Holidays, some are told not to say Merry Christmas. Either way, it's not their choice.

I think there's a big difference between "What should I say at the Christmas party?" and "What should I say to this random person on the street and it's not actually Christmas today anyway?"

Christmas has not been celebrated through time as Americans do today--which I am sure you know. 

And celebrating Christmas was banned by many denominations until a little over a century ago. It's not as though there's a long history in America of celebrating Christmas.

As to the question, I say either or both. It depends on the person and the situation. When someone wishes me either Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, I simply say, "Thank you. You too."