Menu

My husband experienced the mean girls first hand (ballet)

Elisabet1

Despite posting it here, I actually never brought up with my husband how rotten the girls at ballet were. Then, yesterday, he took our son. This time, he sat outside the classroom. He came home and came to me and said "you would not believe those girls at dance and how nasty they were to the boys!" Yeah..I know.

He said he said nothing. He didn't know what to say. I am at a loss too. This is for the Nutcracker and we don't want to get in to fights or a situation where it is hard to face people. What should we say? Clearly, what I said last week did not do anything. He said they were pointing at the boys, laughing at them and saying what losers they were and bad dancers and so on. This is a partner dance. It is for the scene of the Russians.

I am considering telling them next week to cool it, they are not being nice. But their mothers are always sitting right there and laughing it off! I am not even sure what words to say so if you have specific suggestions, I would appreciate it. They do all this when they are sitting right outside the door and looking through the glass at the boys. 

I am so sorry. My son is a dancer at a ballet school and stuff like that would NEVER fly, not with the other dancers, not with the parents and not with the teacher. I am not saying things are perfect, but for one dancer to make any kind of negative comment about another dancer's abilities is simply not tolerated.

I would quietly record it and play it for the teacher.  That is unacceptable on so many levels.

Would they prefer the boys leave and they have none to dance with? Because there are plenty of dance schools that would be happy to have a bunch of male dancers.

The best retort may be to dance better and let it roll off like water off a duck's back.

Interesting that their mothers seem to think it's funny. If the shoe were on the other foot...well, you know what I mean.

The boys are doing a great job. The girls are just being mean.

No trouble here with mean girls at dance.  My son did have trouble with another boy.  This was years ago.

But not that I don't believe it.  It's odd to me that sometimes I see kids behaving poorly and other times there seems to be no sign of it.  I don't know what one organization does differently than another in this realm.

sigh....  how old are they?  it might be effective to have one of the pointe dancers speak to the presumably younger girls about how pas de deux are not possible without boys, so that rather than laughing at them they should be baking them cookies!  they need them to want to stay around.  

flip side is that it is never okay to laugh at someone else who is doing their best.  (regardless of outcome).  the ballet mistress needs to know.  how she deals with it will tell you all you need to know about sticking around or not.

tell him to hang in there!

ann

another approach would be suggest to the ballet studio that they cover the glass with paper so that the girls can't upset the boys by making fun of them.  

or just go in early and do it yourself.  sometimes the defacto state remains.

then if anyone asks why, you can say.  

fwiw,

ann

It sounds like the discipline at the ballet school is a mess, and that you should remove your son from the sexist bullying. Since he's only ten, you should have ample opportunity to find a differernt studio without losing too much studio time. Yes, it'll be a pain, but sometimes we parents just have to make unpopular decisions to protect our young children.

I would discuss it with the director. They are being inappropriate and if it is going to drive kids away from the school then it is only fair to give them a chance to fix the problem before it costs them students.

If they don't get it fixed then I would switch schools but I wouldn't leave without giving them a chance to rectify the issue. I don't think recording it would be a bad idea, including recording the parents encouraging it. 

Recording it might not be legal. You should, however, bring up your concerns with the director. Would you rather be one of "those parents" who allows a bad situation to continue?

The best retort may be to dance better and let it roll off like water off a duck's back.

That never works.

I have not taken it to the director because I did not want to be "one of those parents" who makes waves. Should I go to him and tell him? 

Absolutely. Tell him. He deserves to know and to have the chance to nip it in the bud. Especially since he is a man and knows what it was like to be a boy in ballet. Give him a chance to make it right. If he does not step up to change the culture of the studio, I would not return after Nutcracker is over.

I would have a very difficult time not encouraging my son to be passive-aggressive and drop one of those mean girls.  

The director absolutely needs to know.  It's not making waves- the behavior is NOT okay.  What I would not do is approach those girls myself.  You won't get anywhere with that- they'll look at you like "who are you and what do we care about what you have to say."   And then it might get worse for your DS.

Go right to the person in charge and their reaction to me would determine our future at the studio.  And honestly, if it's not fixed immediately, I wouldn't even finish out the Nutcracker to be honest.  

I don't know what one organization does differently than another in this realm.

IME management allows it. Either by knowingly turning a blind eye or by setting up a hostile enviroment that has kids gaining "status" among each other by being better than another.

Document document document. Then leave. Write a letter thanking the studio for the oppertunity to learn and then explain what happened and why you will not keep your child in a hostile envorment.

I agree with all the others who say tell the director.  Boys in dance, particularly ballet, are rare and need to be encouraged.  Who do those girls think they are going to be dancing a pas de deus with in the future?  They definitely need to be called out on their attitudes.  It is wrong to comment or make fun of any dancer, but it is particularly stupid to be discouraging the boys!!!! 

I have not taken it to the director because I did not want to be "one of those parents" who makes waves. Should I go to him and tell him? 

Yes.  I actually get upset that more parents don't make waves.  If more parents spoke up when they felt like it was warranted, we could start to nip bullying and just bad behavior in the bud.

"Good people standing by and doing nothing..." and all of that.  Please tell the director and/or instructors.

Boys in dance, particularly ballet, are rare and need to be encouraged.  Who do those girls think they are going to be dancing a pas de deus with in the future?  They definitely need to be called out on their attitudes.  It is wrong to comment or make fun of any dancer, but it is particularly stupid to be discouraging the boys!!!! 

Absolutely!! Besides, if you say something to the director and he or she *doesn't* do anything to fix it, wouldn't you want to know that they are okay with that kind of behavior? I mean boys are precious in the dance world. No ballet school wants to loose their boys to another ballet school. So if they don't care that your boys are being teased, who know what else they will let slide, KWIM? Gosh, around here several ballet schools offer their boys program for FREE. That's how badly they want boys to dance.

Yes, say something to the director.

The teachers and the studio directors/owners need to know what is being said. Courtesy toward other dancers is a crucial skill. It doesn't even matter whether the other dancers are male or female, that kind of catty put-down talk is inappropriate in any context.

I also think saying to the girls, with a sweet smile, "Gosh, I hope my son and the other boys don't hear you saying that. I would be really discouraged if I heard someone talking about me like that. Isn't it great there are boys who want to learn ballet?" is a way to nip that in the bud. Who cares if their mothers are right there? If you can couch it in language that is about your opinions and without command sentences, you're not really telling their kids what to do, and either the mothers will react appropriately or they're not the kind of people you need to worry about alienating anyway. (And, yes, I am a huge chicken but I've spoken up and said things like this in other contexts.)

I have heard (rarely) the girls in our studio saying things like, "He's got good feet for a beginner," and "Wow, they're learning really quickly." They are definitely following the lead that has been modeled for them regularly by the studio director and teachers.

Cat

Personally I would say something to the students, even with their parents are standing there. I'm kind of blunt like that though, I would let them know they were being rude and/or hateful and I would bring it to the director as well. I would see it as my place from stopping it in the short term and the director for long term management. I have no place for kids treating others that way. (To be clear I wouldn't be loud or nasty but calm and matter of fact, it is harder for kids to be a smart aleck back when you have that attitude).

I had the same thought when my son was having trouble with another boy.  I waited too long.  Learned my lesson.  Consider what is worse: being "one of those parents" or being "the parent who didn't take her kid seriously and he got hurt". 

I will never do that again.  Now I speak up.

I agree with everyone who said to go to the director, but be prepared for the possibility that the girls will just get sneakier.  My DDs had a problem with a few mean girls on their track team.  I was shocked by what was happening and went to the manager.  Her reaction was positive: she talked to the whole group about unacceptable behavior and made it clear that bullies will be sent home.  She then talked to one girl separately.

I also talked to my girls about what strategies to use to handle mean behavior, and I mentioned the issue to a few other friendly parents; they asked their kids to stand up for their friends.

The mean girls are still at it, though. They are just careful to keep it near-invisible.  So instead of hurling insults, a mean girl might, when far away from the coach, swerve into DD's lane on the track, cutting her off.  Or she may sneer at anything my DD happens to say.  

I like the program in general, and I LOVE that my girls now see how pathetic this behavior is and laugh at it.  It also motivates them to try really hard so that they can beat the meanies!  So we're staying.  But if the situation were different, and if the mean behavior continued to cause harm, I would not hesitate to leave -- after talking to the manager once more to let her know that her efforts had not worked.

We left a homeschool group over this.  The mean girls were snotty right in front of their parents and the moms did nothing.  Often, the parents encouraged the behavior by their lack of stepping in.  I do not think it makes you one of "those parents," but I do feel that if the parents are not going to enforce respectful behavior from their kids, it is pretty darn impossible to change things.

Bring it up to the director, talk to the moms, but be willing to recognize that somethings in our culture are apparently okay with many individuals.  Mean girls seem to be one of them.

Honestly, if I heard kids talking that way I would have said something like "hey girls, talking disrespectfully about other dancers is not appropriate. If I hear any more of that kind of talk, about anyone, I will bring the issue to the director's attention." 

If the moms hear, all the better. Sounds like they need a reminder about appropriate social behavior as well.

I long ago ceased to be intimidated by either middle school girls or their moms.