Menu

Christian Baptism

DawnM

I have really enjoyed the differing viewpoints on this board as they relate to things like heaven/hell, etc....

I am curious what your Christian church teaches about Baptism or how they view it.

Particularly I am interested in how you answer these questions:

1. Is Baptism solely an outward sign of salvation and faith in Christ (believers' baptism)

2. If you baptize infants, what is the significance of it?

3. If you believe that baptism has to be performed by an ordained person (priest, pastor, etc...) to "count."

4. If baptism has anything to do with Salvation.

5. If you believe you have to be dunked, sprinkles, or does it matter?

I really hope this can be discussed without argument as I don't have a strong opinion about baptism, so I am not trying to angle an argument of any kind.

I currently attend a Methodist church, but I personally am inclined toward baptism being an outward sign of what God is doing in a person's life. I don't get worked up about baptizing infants, however, because I realize that one or two verses in the New Testament mention baptizing a person and their "household," so I can see how a case can be made for it.

I personally like immersion baptism where possible, but again, it's not something I would insist is the only way "that counts." I don't think it matters much who does it. In fact, Paul was glad he didn't baptize many people because they were splintering into groups based on who baptized them. Based on my reading the the NT, the who idea of having elders or pastors "rule" the church the way we do today is far from the way I think things worked back then. I baptized my oldest son when he was six in our garden tub at home. We weren't attending a church at the time, but even if we were, I preferred to do it myself than have it done by someone who doesn't know him. I'm the one teaching him the faith and it is meaningful to me to allow believing parents to do it for their kids.

I don't believe baptism is necessary for salvation. The thief on the cross was told he would be "in paradise." However, if someone is claiming faith and refuses baptism, I would wonder why. I used to have a friend who had been a believer for about a decade and yet she hadn't been baptized. She didn't use contraception and followed all sorts of legalistic rules yet she always had an excuse for not getting baptized, which made no sense to me. We talked to her about it once and her excuse at the time was that she was healing from a c-section and didn't want to get the incision wet. As far as I know, years after that she still hadn't done it. I wonder if she got around to it when they baptized her oldest son in someone's pool, but I doubt she did.

After we first moved here, we attended a Church of Christ for about two years. We eventually left after we realized that they believed anyone not baptized went to hell. Even if a person was on the way to church to get baptized and was in a car crash and died, they would be out of luck. Since then, I've read that some CoCs believe that it doesn't count unless it's done in a CoC by the right person with the right words. When we first began attending, they asked DH if we had been baptized for "remission of sins." He said yes, not knowing it was some sort of CoC code word that probably excludes all other denominations.

1. Is Baptism solely an outward sign of salvation and faith in Christ (believers' baptism)

3. If you believe that baptism has to be performed by an ordained person (priest, pastor, etc...) to "count."

1. Yes.  Baptism isn't necessary for salvation, it's just an outward declaration.

2. No.  We don't baptize people unless they want to be baptized.  Granted, many people are - we have baptisms once a month with anywhere from 5-20 being baptized.  But it's a personal decision, and before they are 'dunked' (lol) they are asked why they want to be baptized.  

3. I don't really know.  I mean, if one kid 'baptizes' the other in the bathtub (never happened in my house, but I've heard of it in some Christian circles), no, I wouldn't say it counts.  ;)  I can't say I've ever seen a baptism that wasn't done by a pastor of some sort.  I don't really know why such a thing would happen, but, like I said, Idk...???

4. Not at all.  Not necessary for salvation, doesn't earn one any 'brownie points' in heaven, or anything like that.

5. Our fellowship is of the dunking persuasion.  :)  In part I think it's supposed to signify Christ's death and resurrection.  And obviously, it's supposed to be like Jesus' baptism (which, being in a river, I've always assumed was a dunk... but don't freak out on me if I'm wrong, lol, I'm not a Bible scholar!)  

:)

Oh, we're...something.  Sort of evangelical Christians, but... Idk.  It's complicated.  The church we are attending now and both grew up in is Assemblies of God.  But neither of us is married to the idea that we have to be that fellowship... should we ever be looking for a church, we wouldn't restrict it to only AoG churches.  If that makes sense.

I believe that everyone needs to make the choice for themselves whether they wish to follow Christ, so therefore baptism is something that should be decided by the person not someone else.  I also believe in the priesthood of all believers and that anyone who is a Christian can perform a baptism, it doesn't need to be clergy.  I do not believe that baptism is necessary for salvation, nor does it do anything other than show and outward public sign of a commitment to follow Christ.  But I think that it is a very important part of obedience to Christ.  I don't know that the method is critical, but I prefer immersion because I think it gives a better picture of the symbolism of dying to our old selves and being born again into our new life in Christ.  Immersion is not always practical, such as my grandfather being baptized on his deathbed.

I am Roman Catholic and I'll try to answer from that perspective,

1. Baptism is an outward sign of an inward reality. Baptism washes away Original Sin and reinstates sanctifying grace in the soul of the baptized. The baptized receives the Holy Spirit, and is incorporated into the body of Christ, the Church.

2. Because the action is all on the part of God, it has the same significance as an adult baptism. The baby has Original Sin washed away, etc. The baby is incorporated into the body of Christ.

3. Baptism is normally performed by an ordained person, however, anyone, even a nonbeliever can perform one in an emergency.

4.Baptism is the normative way to be saved, however, unbaptized persons can enter heaven. Baptized persons can lose their salvation.

5. Baptism normally requires holy water, but even in a pinch can be done without it. The manner in which the water is involved can change over time and place.

That's a very brief explanation. More can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Edited for clarification.

I have really enjoyed the differing viewpoints on this board as they relate to things like heaven/hell, etc....

I am curious what your Christian church teaches about Baptism or how they view it.

I really hope this can be discussed without argument as I don't have a strong opinion about baptism, so I am not trying to angle an argument of any kind.

1. it is a covenant with God, and a necessary ordinance for salvation. (we believe every one - even those who have never heard of Jesus Christ in this life - will have the opportunity to hear and accept or reject his message.)

2.  N/A  Minimum age for us is eight.

3. must be done by someone who holds the priesthood - and has the authority to perform/record the ordinance.  ("my house is a house of order")

4. see 1

5. we believe one must be completely submerged.  Just like Jesus was.

1. It is an outward sign, but according the somewhat mystical meaning of the word "sign" -- in that the baptism is participatory in the reality that it signifies. It is more than a "merely symbolic" action that communicates *about* a spiritual reality... It is somehow a contact point between spiritual and concrete reality. (Yes, it is about entrusting one's self through faith in Christ.)

2. I don't, but I don't mind those who do.

3. No, but I do believe that there is a significant role for the community of believers, including trusted leaders, mentors and teachers -- whenever possible.

4. It has something to do with salvation, but it is neither a "work" for salvation, nor a "criteria" that one could not possibly be saved without doing.

5. I don't believe you "have to be" dunked, but I do think that dunking is the most appropriate interpretion of the action from New Testament times -- and I think dunking also holds the strongest analogy of the "passing from death into life" aspects of the sign. I don't like to see it 'watered down' (ha ha) without good reason... But I don't worry about those who see it differently.

Edited to add: since others have mentioned "Church of Christ" I wanted to mention that I am within that group of Chruches too, but nobody has a problem with my beliefs on baptism. I could easily *find* compatriots who believe what others are describing, but the disagreement would be considered personal, not doctrinal. Many others would sound much more like I do. (Church of Christ tries for the ideal of personal liberty of all non-essential doctrines... Though many of us are better at it than others, and some would seem to believe that that one understanding of baptism is "an essential". It varies.)

1. Is Baptism solely an outward sign of salvation and faith in Christ (believers' baptism) Yes

2. If you baptize infants, what is the significance of it?  N/A

3. If you believe that baptism has to be performed by an ordained person (priest, pastor, etc...) to "count." No.

4. If baptism has anything to do with Salvation.  See #1

5. If you believe you have to be dunked, sprinkles, or does it matter?  It does not matter.

I do not have a strong opinion about it, either.  (Answers above in bold.)

Do all the churches that baptize babies sprinkle adults as well? Or do some of them immerse older kids and adults? It just occurred to me that perhaps the sprinkling was an outgrowth of baptizing babies since people aren't likely to dunk a newborn.

We baptize babies, as well as older children, teens and adults. Most are baptized as babies by sprinkling. When older, the person can choose but if they choose dunking, then our pastor makes arrangements with another church that has an immersion pool (not sure if that's what it's called), and then we go do the baptism at the other church. Usually on a Sunday afternoon after the other church is done with their sanctuary. Normally, baptisms are done during our regular Sunday morning service.

What I believe:

• Baptism is tied to repentance, forgiveness, and the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 2:38.  Sort of a package deal. :)
  • One must be of an age to understand this concept to be baptized (that it is a life-long commitment to be a follower of Christ)
  • we do full submersion
  • any believer can baptize another -- our church allows fathers to baptize their children, etc.

After we first moved here, we attended a Church of Christ for about two years. We eventually left after we realized that they believed anyone not baptized went to hell. Even if a person was on the way to church to get baptized and was in a car crash and died, they would be out of luck. Since then, I've read that some CoCs believe that it doesn't count unless it's done in a CoC by the right person with the right words. When we first began attending, they asked DH if we had been baptized for "remission of sins." He said yes, not knowing it was some sort of CoC code word that probably excludes all other denominations.

I am no longer a believer, but this is the tradition I am most familiar with.

1. baptism is considered essential to salvation, and is done. "For the remission of sins." scriptures are used to justify that. You are not considered saved otherwise.

2. Infants are never baptized. Baptism is supposed to be the act of a repentant believer. Children are discouraged from being baptized until closer to "the age of accountability" which is considered to be approx. 13.

3. Baptism can be performed by any baptized believer, but only male unless none is available.

4. See1.

5. Immersion is considered the only proper way. Scriptures are used to justify that.

I am Roman Catholic and I'll try to answer from that perspective,

1. Baptism is an outward sign of an inward reality. Baptism washes away Original Sin and reinstates sanctifying grace in the soul of the baptized. The baptized receives the Holy Spirit, and is incorporated into the body of Christ, the Church.

2. Because the action is all on the part of God, it has the same significance as an adult baptism. The baby has Original Sin washed away, etc. The baby is incorporated into the body of Christ.

3. Baptism is normally performed by an ordained person, however, anyone, even a nonbeliever can perform one in an emergency.

4.Baptism is the normative way to be saved, however, unbaptized persons can enter heaven. Baptized persons can lose their salvation.

5. Baptism normally requires water, but even in a pinch can be done without it. The manner in which the water is involved can change over time and place.

That's a very brief explanation. More can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

I am Catholic as well and just wanted to add a little bit:

Generally, infants are baptized (and in the past there was quite a bit of controversy on whether unbaptized children could go to Heaven I believe). However, older kids (or adults) can be baptized. Though I am Catholic my kids were not baptized as infants (not due to a problem with the church/faith and not really because I didn't want to either). They both were baptized this year when they were 9 and 11. Though I hadn't really made a conscious decision to wait so long I do think it has some advantages: they were able to make a choice (I did leave them the option to be baptized or not) and they will remember the baptism. The year was a bit busy/stressful as we had two baptisms, two First Communions and one Confirmation all in the same year. Anyway, even though we were kind of late the priest didn't really have a problem with it and everyone was very helpful.

I personally don't think it makes any difference how the water is administered (though I do think Holy Water is preferable) and I think it can differ from church to church. Generally some water is poured over the person's head.

Not going into all the details as I don't have time, but in general--

Sacramental understanding of baptism--as an outgrowth of the Jewish mikvah, or ritual bath that makes one clean before God and able to enter the sanctuary/synagogue. It is "efficacious," meaning it works in our lives thru the Holy Spirit

Sprinkle or immersion (not all NT baptisms were immersion)

infants ok--"household" verse to justify, and also a wonderful picture that it is Jesus who saves, not us saving ourselves thru our own actions

Confirmation by a bishop used to be immediate, but then the rites got farther apart in time as Christianity spread--so around 12 or 13, one should confirm the beliefs and promises made on one's behalf, but it is not necessary for salvation (neither is baptism--but it is normative, as a PP said).

Only one baptism is needed, even if you were not baptised in a specific denomination

No baptism of the dead

Anyone who is baptised and a believer can baptise in an emergency, but should go to priest later--I'm not sure why, exactly, as they don't "rebaptise." I'll have to ask dh!

The churches I would be speaking about would be more Baptist or Bible type churches.  We're definitely in the evangelical and sometimes fundamentalist section of the Christianity spectrum.

Yes. No exceptions.  It's also not the means of salvation or the indwelling of the Holy Spirit-it's a statement about what has already happened spiritually.

N/A

No, but that's the norm.  I've seen quite a few exceptions where friends or family members do the baptizing.  I have never seen a woman baptize someone but I personally have no issue with it as there is nothing on that topic in Scripture.  I suspect a lot but not all of people I go to church with would take issue.

It's a testimony to the rest of the world that salvation has already happened. Its shows regeneration-the old spiritual self has already died and the new spiritual self has already been reborn. The act is an illustration that a new believer has repented of their own sin, put their faith is in Jesus Christ and His sinless life and atoning death as the only acceptable payment for that sin and the believer has consciously weighed the cost that could come by following Jesus (which He specifically told us to do.) At some of the churches I have gone to the person being baptized reads their testimony out loud in front of everyone about their experience of coming to faith in Christ just before they are baptized.

Since we believe the Greek word literally translates "immersed" and we believe Jesus was immersed and John the Baptist was immersing people that's the the first choice almost every time. It's also done to illustrate spiritual death/burial and spiritual resurrection.  We make exceptions for people with physical issues that would make immersion impossible or very ill advised -this is extremely rare. If someone were so physically delicate that any kind of baptism would be problematic, many of us would be OK with skipping it as it's not essential for salvation.  The only case I could think of is the boy in the bubble with severe immunity issues or something extreme like that. 

We are Presbyterian, but I grew up Baptist, so I understand both views.

Presbyterians believe:

1.  Baptism is a sign of the covenant, replacing the Old Testament sign of circumcision.

2.  Infants of believers are baptized because they are part of the covenant community.  This doesn't mean they are saved.  Only God knows that.  It means they are part of the people of God and will be treated as such unless they prove otherwise.  Baptizing babies teaches us that God loved us before we were able to love Him.

3.  An ordained person has to perform the baptism.

4.  Baptism is not necessary for salvation.

5.  We sprinkle.  The evidence that baptisms in the NT were done by immersion is just speculative.  In the case of Jesus, we just know he went down into the river and John baptized him.  People just assume he was immersed.  I've also heard arguments based on the use of the phrase "baptized into," but I've studied foreign languages enough to know you don't base a doctrine on a preposition. :)  There are also numerous examples of  "sprinkling" for purification in the OT.  I don't think the mode is that huge a deal, though.

Orthodox POV - baptism is for the remission of sins. It's the "born again" experience. It brings a person into the church (you can be a Christian and not be baptized). We baptize infants at 40 days old and once baptized (we immerse all, even infants), they're full members, receiving the Eucharist from that day on. Baptism is usually always done by a priest, but emergency baptisms by lay people also happen. For example, a couple we know had a baby that was not expected to survive long after birth. Our priest instructed the father on how to baptize as soon as the baby was born. That's not to say, at all, that the baby would have "gone to hell" without that, but that we will do all we can do for all.

We believe what we believe and do what we do because this is what the church that gave us the Scriptures was doing (therefore its what the Scriptures mean). <-- our pov, not everyone's

Orthodox POV - baptism is for the remission of sins. It's the "born again" experience. It brings a person into the church (you can be a Christian and not be baptized). We baptize infants at 40 days old and once baptized (we immerse all, even infants), they're full members, receiving the Eucharist from that day on. Baptism is usually always done by a priest, but emergency baptisms by lay people also happen. For example, a couple we know had a baby that was not expected to survive long after birth. Our priest instructed the father on how to baptize as soon as the baby was born. That's not to say, at all, that the baby would have "gone to hell" without that, but that we will do all we can do for all.

We believe what we believe and do what we do because this is what the church that gave us the Scriptures was doing (therefore its what the Scriptures mean). <-- our pov, not everyone's

Just piping up to add that the chrismation (seal of the Holy Spirit) is joined to baptism, and that this is where the person is united to the Church. These two events have not been separated from one another in the Orthodox Church.

If anyone is interested in reading about the practice of the early Church, the very short Didache describes it. It's free and easily found by Googling. Easy to read and short. Short us good for me. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

At my church, babies are churched on the fortieth day, but the norm to baptize is around six months.

My personal viewpoint in italics:

Yes, it's an outward message - not really a sign.

In our church, this is called a dedication ceremony, not a baptism. But I think the Catholics differ on this point.

I don't think so. I may be the only one but I always think God knows the intent of the person and honors it.

Not in the sense that you are saved because you are baptized. Baptism is more of an announcing that you have been saved.

Does it matter if it's a full immersion or just a sprinkling? Don't know that God would care. What if a believer panics in water but wants to be baptized? I don't think God would hold it against this person if they chose to be sprinkled.

Curious!  Reference please?

There's debate, but some sources interpret the Acts 16:29-34 passage as probably baptism without a large water source as they were right by his house. I guess they could've used a mikvah, but it seems unlikely. IDK if he had one at his house. Also the Ethiopian--as there was probably not a large body of water in that part of the desert, but I, of course, may be wrong.

1. Yes - it is an outward sign of faith in Christ

2. Not applicable. 

3. Nope - it can be done by anyone. It doesn't "count" for anything, which is why it doesn't matter. 

4. Not a thing. 

5. Neither. No one has to be baptized. I do think that "dunking" is the way it was done in NT times and it is the way our church does it as well. 

Just piping up to add that the chrismation (seal of the Holy Spirit) is joined to baptism, and that this is where the person is united to the Church. These two events have not been separated from one another in the Orthodox Church.

If anyone is interested in reading about the practice of the early Church, the very short Didache describes it. It's free and easily found by Googling. Easy to read and short. Short us good for me. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

Thank you for clarifying that for me, Patty!  Still always learning ......

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m surprised no LDS ladies have posted yet.  I guess IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll do it.

The short answer, copied directly from the church website www.lds.org:

Ă¢â‚¬Å“Baptism by immersion in water by one having authority is the first saving ordinance of the gospel and is necessary for an individual to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and to receive eternal salvation. All who seek eternal life must follow the example of the Savior by being baptized and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost.Ă¢â‚¬

And now to answer your specific questions:

1.       Is Baptism solely an outward sign of salvation and faith in Christ (believersĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ baptism)

It is more than just an outward sign.  It is a requirement for eternal salvation, but of course not a guarantee of salvation.  At baptism we enter into a covenant with God that we will keep His commandments and serve Him to the end.  We repent when we sin.  Every Sunday when we take the sacrament (bread and water) we renew this covenant.  If we continue faithfully we are promised eternal life.

2.       If you baptize infants, what is the significance of it?

We donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t baptize infants.  We believe that the atonement of Jesus Christ redeems little children, as well as those who are otherwise unable to be accountable for their actions because of mental disabilities.  The age of accountability is eight years old. 

3.       If you believe that baptism has to be performed by an ordained person to Ă¢â‚¬Å“count.Ă¢â‚¬

Yes, a person must have the power and authority to act in the name of God and perform ordinances such as baptism.  We call this the Priesthood.  This is the same power which Christ gave his twelve disciples that allowed them to cast out spirits, heal sickness, and raise the dead.

4.       If baptism has anything to do with Salvation.

Yes.  See answer to #1.

5.       If you believe you have to be dunked, sprinkled, or does it matter?

We are immersed in water, following the example of Jesus Christ.

BONUS:  What about those that have died who have not been baptized?

Because God is merciful, He has provided a way for all people to receive the blessings of baptism.  We believe that the gospel is taught to all people who have died and did not get a chance in this life to hear and accept the gospel in this life.  The baptismal ordinance is performed by proxy by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints so that the deceased person may have the opportunity to either accept or reject the ordinance that has been performed in their behalf.  This proxy work is performed in our sacred temples.  It is the reason we as a church are so interested in genealogy.  We desire to find the names of our ancestors that they may also enjoy the blessings of salvation that come through baptism.

Catholic here, former Episcopalian. The above answers from the Catholic perspective were accurate, but I thought I'd add a bit more. First, there is ONLY one baptism for forgiveness of sins. So if you were baptized before, in say, a baptist church, that counts. If you don't know if you were baptized before (say, you might have been as an infant, but there is no record) than you are "conditionally baptized". Which is just like a regular ceremony, but the priest says, "IF this person has not been baptized before, I baptize....". 

A large part of baptism is that the person is then marked as Christ's own, they are part of the Church, they have joined the family. The priest will hold the baby up, usually walk them around the church so everyone in the pews can clap and greet the newest member. We all, not just the parents and God parents, but the whole congregation solemnly promises to help be a good example, help raise the child in the faith, etc. 

Some parishes do the baptisms at a separate ceremony, but the one I go to (and this was a reason I picked it) does many of them during the normal Sunday service. They are done about 4 times a year, at least, on certain days. I love it, those are my favorite Sundays. At one point we all sing/chant asking the saints to pray for us. It's wonderful and moving. And the baby truly is welcomed into the fold in a special way. 

As for "sprinked", it really is a pouring, not a sprinkle. A cupped hand or seashell is used to "scoop" up water which is then poured over the forehead, three times, as the priest says, "in the name of the Father (pours water) and the Son (pours water) and the Holy Spirit (pours water). Adults are done the same way, but almost always at the Easter Vigil service. 

Our family attends a Southern Baptist church, and we were raised in Baptist families, but I don't really identify myself as a Baptist (just my standard disclaimer, as I do not agree with several things from the Southern Baptist denomination)

1. Is Baptism solely an outward sign of salvation and faith in Christ (believers' baptism) Yes.  It is an act of obedience as a believer in Christ.

2. If you baptize infants, what is the significance of it? We do not because of the above.

3. If you believe that baptism has to be performed by an ordained person (priest, pastor, etc...) to "count." No.  Only that it should be a fellow believer.  The baptism itself is an act of will on the part of the person being baptized, not hinging on the status of the dunker.  

4. If baptism has anything to do with Salvation. Although it is an important step, no we do not believe your salvation is dependent on being baptized.  

5. If you believe you have to be dunked, sprinkles, or does it matter?  I believe in immersion (dunked).  

Catholic here, former Episcopalian. The above answers from the Catholic perspective were accurate, but I thought I'd add a bit more. First, there is ONLY one baptism for forgiveness of sins. So if you were baptized before, in say, a baptist church, that counts. If you don't know if you were baptized before (say, you might have been as an infant, but there is no record) than you are "conditionally baptized". Which is just like a regular ceremony, but the priest says, "IF this person has not been baptized before, I baptize....". 

A large part of baptism is that the person is then marked as Christ's own, they are part of the Church, they have joined the family. The priest will hold the baby up, usually walk them around the church so everyone in the pews can clap and greet the newest member. We all, not just the parents and God parents, but the whole congregation solemnly promises to help be a good example, help raise the child in the faith, etc. 

Some parishes do the baptisms at a separate ceremony, but the one I go to (and this was a reason I picked it) does many of them during the normal Sunday service. They are done about 4 times a year, at least, on certain days. I love it, those are my favorite Sundays. At one point we all sing/chant asking the saints to pray for us. It's wonderful and moving. And the baby truly is welcomed into the fold in a special way. 

As for "sprinked", it really is a pouring, not a sprinkle. A cupped hand or seashell is used to "scoop" up water which is then poured over the forehead, three times, as the priest says, "in the name of the Father (pours water) and the Son (pours water) and the Holy Spirit (pours water). Adults are done the same way, but almost always at the Easter Vigil service. 

Thanks for adding this in--I just love the bolded parts. We do this, too.

Dh has Jordan River water to add now--it's especially neat!

I will be baptised next month on All Souls Day.  I can say that for me personally it is an affirmation of identity.  I am choosing to publically proclaim my participation in the Episcopal tradition.  Of course the Holy Spirit had to do a lot of heavy lifting to get me here.  Church was not a part of my childhood.  My parents had good reasons for their choices, now it's my turn to make my own.  (Which is wonderfully exciting, and really the best part of being a grownup.)

We are Lutheran (LCMS) and our pastor tells it this way:  baptism is a way of accepting the gift of grace that God has given us.  That is why parents can baptize infants - they are accepting the gift on the baby's behalf, and acknowledging the benefit and responsibilities that go with it.  You do not have to be baptized to be saved.  You only need to be baptized once, it doesn't matter how old you are, or which church.

I will be baptised next month on All Souls Day.  I can say that for me personally it is an affirmation of identity.  I am choosing to publically proclaim my participation in the Episcopal tradition.  Of course the Holy Spirit had to do a lot of heavy lifting to get me here.  Church was not a part of my childhood.  My parents had good reasons for their choices, now it's my turn to make my own.  (Which is wonderfully exciting, and really the best part of being a grownup.)

Congratulations - I had a similar experience myself.

I'm a born again Christian and I believe in immersion baptism as an act of obedience to God, an outward sign to the world that I am His- a new creation in Christ. Baptism does not save, faith in the finished work of the cross saves, of Christ's perfect sacrifice, paying the penalty for my sins and reconcing me to God- there is nothing left to DO, that's why He said "it is finished". :) I do believe there should be some witnesses to baptism, whether a large crowd or a few, at our church usually one of the elders or a well known church member will baptize. We always have a big pot luck afterwards to celebrate. :) I don't believe in infant baptism, as I believe salvation is an intimate and personal choice made between a person and God, I can't make that choice on behalf of my children, in my belief. The thief that was crucified next to Jesus was told "today you will be with me in paradise", so baptism is not necessary, it is pleasing to God but will not get one into heaven.

I think baptism isn't necessary for salvation because Jesus said the criminal next to him would be with him in paradise.

I do believe in infant baptism, there are plenty of biblical examples of people making a choice for their whole household to be believers, plus it's the continuation of the infant circumcision of the old testament, plus I think it's a declaration to the spiritual realm that *this* child belongs to God and I think it confers some spiritual protection.

I've had weird mystical experiences since I was a child and even as a little kid I always felt protected and I can't remember not knowing God.  All my friends who were baptized as infants had similar experiences.  All my southern baptist friends felt outside of God as little kids.  I realize this is rhetorical evidence based solely on the recollections of children, but it seems so universally true amongst everyone I know that it's primarily the reason we are Methodist and not at Assembly of God or some charismatic church right now.

eta: I did get baptized again as an adult, full immersion, just in case I'm wrong.

Since there seems to be a misunderstanding of certain views....

"baptism for salvation" does not guarantee that everyone baptised WILL be saved, nor does it mean that anyone without baptism CAN'T be saved. We know that God's Grace can be mysterious and may work outside of what we have been told WE are to do. We believe that baptism is a PART of salvation...it's a VERY important part of the journey. It's not a magical guarantee or door just as we don't believe that saying certain words "Jesus come into my heart" is a magical guarantee or door.

My middle son is getting baptized.  He is currently in a 2 week class that basically walks him through the reasons for Baptism according to our church's doctrine.  Our church does teach believers' baptism and teaches that it isn't necessary for salvation but an outward display of salvation.

However, I actually strongly disagree with our church that immersion baptism is the only way.  I understand why they feel that way, but I don't really agree with it.  I actually was immersed as a believer, but I really don't think God cares how much water is involved.

I also am not entirely against infant baptism.  I understand the idea that it is an outward sign, etc.....but I don't think it has to be done again if you were baptized as an infant.  I understand the concept (according to scriptural reference of baptizing entire families) and don't think it is "wrong" or needs to be redone unless the person feels he/she would like it to be done again.

So, there are some things I differ from my church on.  They aren't important enough for me to leave or change churches, but they have made me think a bit about different ideas within the Christian faith.

Ah, I see.  

I believe this is different than some other churches who baptize infants for salvation.

Since there seems to be a misunderstanding of certain views....

"baptism for salvation" does not guarantee that everyone baptised WILL be saved, nor does it mean that anyone without baptism CAN'T be saved. We know that God's Grace can be mysterious and may work outside of what we have been told WE are to do. We believe that baptism is a PART of salvation...it's a VERY important part of the journey. It's not a magical guarantee or door just as we don't believe that saying certain words "Jesus come into my heart" is a magical guarantee or door.

Do all the churches that baptize babies sprinkle adults as well? Or do some of them immerse older kids and adults? It just occurred to me that perhaps the sprinkling was an outgrowth of baptizing babies since people aren't likely to dunk a newborn.

In every Catholic church I've belonged to to, adults are baptized in the same manner as infants - no immersion.

This is actually an issue on which I (along with my husband) disagree a bit with my church's position.  We are Presbyterian (OPC), and the church holds to the Westminster standards.  Here's what the Westminster Confession of Faith says:

CHAPTER 28
Of Baptism

1. Baptism is a sacrament of the new testament, ordained by Jesus Christ, not only for the solemn admission of the party baptized into the visible church; but also, to be unto him a sign and seal of the covenant of grace, of his ingrafting into Christ, of regeneration, of remission of sins, and of his giving up unto God, through Jesus Christ, to walk in newness of life. Which sacrament is, by Christ's own appointment, to be continued in his church until the end of the world.

2. The outward element to be used in this sacrament is water, wherewith the party is to be baptized, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, by a minister of the gospel, lawfully called thereunto.

3. Dipping of the person into the water is not necessary; but baptism is rightly administered by pouring, or sprinkling water upon the person.

4. Not only those that do actually profess faith in and obedience unto Christ, but also the infants of one, or both, believing parents, are to be baptized.

5. Although it be a great sin to contemn or neglect this ordinance, yet grace and salvation are not so inseparably annexed unto it, as that no person can be regenerated, or saved, without it; or, that all that are baptized are undoubtedly regenerated.

6. The efficacy of baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered; yet, notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinance, the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited, and conferred, by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or infants) as that grace belongeth unto, according to the counsel of God's own will, in his appointed time.

7. The sacrament of baptism is but once to be administered unto any person.

It's that bolded part that we take issue with.  Both of us grew up in credobaptist churches (me Southern Baptist, DH Christian & Missionary Alliance), which I'm sure has influenced our views, but we've done a lot of reading, thinking, and praying on the issue in an effort to come to a place where we could agree with infant baptism.  We do believe that baptism is the sign and seal of the covenant, just as circumcision was in the Old Testament.  However, just as being born was what got you into being an Israelite (and therefore required circumcision), our understanding is that being born again is what gets you into the church (and therefore requires baptism).  (Note: Baptism is not necessary for salvation; my use of the word "requires" there was in the sense that baptism is God's command to us, and for a believer to fail to be baptized is an act of disobedience, just like other sins believers continue to commit.)  DH has other reasons that my brain is not coming up with right now, but that's my big one.  

We actually asked our session about this when we were joining the church, before we had any kids.  We wanted to make sure that by placing ourselves under the church's authority (by joining), we would not be obligated to baptize any infants we would have.  The session said it was fine as long as we didn't stand in the foyer handing out credobaptist literature. ;)  With the birth of each child, we've revisited the issue and reached the same conclusion.

The rest of the above, we are in agreement with.  We grew up in churches that practiced/insisted on immersion, but we have no problem with sprinkling/pouring, as we can see Scriptural support for any of those methods.

That isn't the message many Catholics have conveyed to me through the years.  It could be that they don't fully understand Catholic doctrine, but I haven't looked up official church doctrine on this issue.

Which others? I'm certain the Catholics are the same on the issue.

That isn't the message many Catholics have conveyed to me through the years.  It could be that they don't fully understand Catholic doctrine, but I haven't looked up official church doctrine on this issue.

I can't speak for the Roman Catholic teaching; I usta know, but I'm getting older and have forgotten a lot of things.  

The Orthodox teaching is that baptism unites us to Christ in his death and resurrection; that we are raised in new life (Romans 6), and that is it the beginning of our communion with God.

When we say the Nicene Creed, we state that we believe in one baptism for the remission of sins.  Of course, even after our baptism, we fall and sin, but the baptism is renewed in the sacrament of confession.  

Peter states (I Peter 3:21) states that "baptism now saves us" and the Orthodox take this very seriously, but the EO Church teaches that salvation is not accomplished at a point in time, but that it is a continual reality reflecting our cooperation with the Holy Spirit's working in our lives, which results in deeper and more complete union with Christ--which begins at our baptism.   

Sometimes it is necessary for me to be a little wordy because the words mean different things, and without at least a little reflection on that, a Big Ol' Can of Worms gets opened and we talk at cross purposes.  

I'm not sure that I've been "wordy enough" but this will have to do for now or I will not eat dinner!  :0)

I can't speak for the Roman Catholic teaching; I usta know, but I'm getting older and have forgotten a lot of things.  

The Orthodox teaching is that baptism unites us to Christ in his death and resurrection; that we are raised in new life (Romans 6), and that is it the beginning of our communion with God.

When we say the Nicene Creed, we state that we believe in one baptism for the remission of sins.  Of course, even after our baptism, we fall and sin, but the baptism is renewed in the sacrament of confession.  

Peter states (I Peter 3:21) states that "baptism now saves us" and the Orthodox take this very seriously, but the EO Church teaches that salvation is not accomplished at a point in time, but that it is a continual reality reflecting our cooperation with the Holy Spirit's working in our lives, which results in deeper and more complete union with Christ--which begins at our baptism.   

Sometimes it is necessary for me to be a little wordy because the words mean different things, and without at least a little reflection on that, a Big Ol' Can of Worms gets opened and we talk at cross purposes.  

I'm not sure that I've been "wordy enough" but this will have to do for now or I will not eat dinner!  :0)

This is the Catholic belief as well. Baptism doesn't guarantee salvation, and not being baptized doesn't necessarily preclude it.  

We are Presbyterian, but I grew up Baptist, so I understand both views.

Presbyterians believe:

1. Baptism is a sign of the covenant, replacing the Old Testament sign of circumcision.

2. Infants of believers are baptized because they are part of the covenant community. This doesn't mean they are saved. Only God knows that. It means they are part of the people of God and will be treated as such unless they prove otherwise. Baptizing babies teaches us that God loved us before we were able to love Him.

3. An ordained person has to perform the baptism.

4. Baptism is not necessary for salvation.

5. We sprinkle. The evidence that baptisms in the NT were done by immersion is just speculative. In the case of Jesus, we just know he went down into the river and John baptized him. People just assume he was immersed. I've also heard arguments based on the use of the phrase "baptized into," but I've studied foreign languages enough to know you don't base a doctrine on a preposition. :) There are also numerous examples of "sprinkling" for purification in the OT. I don't think the mode is that huge a deal, though.

Summed it up better than I could. We differ from most presbyterians though because we also offer our children the bread and the wine.