Menu

So many posters are now avatar-less, I don't know who is who.

Ginevra

I wonder if you clear your cookies and history and start fresh if that would help.

They are all showing up for me in Safari, but I'm on the iPad, not sure how the safaris differ for each device.

I cleared my cookies. Some of the previous non-displays are showing now, but others are still missing.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I really have wanted for a while now is a graphic of a big, purple quill. I've even considered making my own. But i am so gun-shy about getting it set as an avatar. Because ever since we went to the new boards, i have not been able to post a photo. Resizing never worked properly.

It'll probably be a while for most everyone to be able to see my new avatar, but I already miss my two previous "Hope" ones--I really liked the more recent colorful one! I may have to get out my Scrabble set and take my own Hope photo, cuz that's about as artsy as I get. 

The avatar pic I have now is of the two (of my three) who officially put me in "halftime."   I've decided not to throw them back.  :lol:

What?! Creepy guy photo? (In your avatar? How'd I manage that?)

Hmph. I'm bringing him back. :D

:rofl:

Ok, so I will concede he looks substantially less creepy on my PC with the bigger monitor. However, on my tiny phone (which I use most of the time), his eyes get so small and blurred - yes, he looks a bit creepy.

Is he really a sensitive genius? I have no idea who this guy is. Knowing more about him might help the creep-factor.

All the new avatars, except for Stripe's, are broken for me :(

There's a post around somewhere that says it can take a day or two for new avatars to be visible to others.  So hang in there.

My avatar is fine as far as I can tell, but I'm thinking about changing it anyway.  Since almost everybody else is, I hate to not join in. ;)

Ok, so I will concede he looks substantially less creepy on my PC with the bigger monitor. However, on my tiny phone (which I use most of the time), his eyes get so small and blurred - yes, he looks a bit creepy.

Is he really a sensitive genius? I have no idea who this guy is. Knowing more about him might help the creep-factor.

I used to have a different drawing of him, but I like this one, which was drawn by his brother, because he looks a little bit naughty. Anyway I had to search the board to remember why I made him my avatar. :lol:

It's Galois, and he was a mathematical genius, but also rather an idiot because he got himself killed in an utterly unnecessary duel at the age of 20. (Actually he died from an infection, the next day.) He knew he'd be killed so he stayed up all night writing down as much as he could, producing all manner of useful mathematical material.

I did find out there's a crater in the dark side of the moon named after him. How fitting.

I just resized a picture of my littlest's chunky legs.  He won't be this fat for long so I've got to savor it!

:001_wub:  Toddler legs are the sweetest!

There's a post around somewhere that says it can take a day or two for new avatars to be visible to others.  So hang in there.

Yep, yesterday I couldn't see half the new avatars in this thread. Today they're all there. 

It was probably time for change of avatar for me anyway. My last one was of dominoes falling which is what my life felt like at the time...always a mad race to get the next thing done and what a disappointment it was when one fell out of place.  But now having graduated my last child in June, my life is much more laid back.  Plus this picture (which I did take) reminds me of all the great times we spent at the beach as they were growing up. It feels more me.  :001_smile:

A steak or a set of ribs might raise a few less eyebrows and you would get a dinner out of it.

I think if CPS showed up investigating grilled children, and I answered the door holding a half-rack of ribs, they'd have a warrant faster than I could say finger-lickin' good. And maybe a SWAT team for good measure.

My avatar is fine as far as I can tell, but I'm thinking about changing it anyway.  Since almost everybody else is, I hate to not join in. ;)

Mine was getting on my nerves too. I wanted to smack my smug self every time I saw one of my own posts.

I thought my old avatar made me look fat (Totoro) but was paralyzed by indecision since there were 4 I wanted to use as the new me.

Right now I'm going with one of our cats, but I'm disappointed you can barely see him against the background. Maybe I'll just rotate through all 4 on a regular basis. I'm pretty convinced most people don't notice me one way or another, so it shouldn't be overly weird if the avatars keep disappearing and reappearing.

Edited to add: whoa, I just noticed that the font in my signature changed. Hmmmm.....

I think if CPS showed up investigating grilled children, and I answered the door holding a half-rack of ribs, they'd have a warrant faster than I could say finger-lickin' good. And maybe a SWAT team for good measure.

Maybe you could tell them you'd been reading Sleeping Beauty

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526683-what-classic-childrens-book-do-you-detest-that-everyone-else-adores/?p=5920868

'For my dinner to-morrow,' she told him, 'I will eat little Dawn.'

'Oh, Madam!' exclaimed the steward.

'That is my will,' said the queen; and she spoke in the tones of an ogre who longs for raw meat.

'You will serve her with piquant sauce,' she added.

My old avatar kind of reminded me of an antidepressant ad, with a vintage twist (a bunch of women with umbrellas.)  :tongue_smilie:

The new one is of my Lulu sitting on a pouf in the library. She makes my feel all warm and fuzzy.  :001_wub:

The new avatars are throwing me off a bit, even my own.

My old avatar kind of reminded me of an antidepressant ad, with a vintage twist (a bunch of women with umbrellas.) :tongue_smilie:

The new one is of my Lulu sitting on a pouf in the library. She makes my feel all warm and fuzzy. :001_wub:

The new avatars are throwing me off a bit, even my own.

Well her name is fabulous!

That is why I changed one toothy gator for another. I don't want to spend hours looking for myself. Sort of like when you buy a new vehicle and keep losing it in parking lots because you're looking for the old one!

Well her name is fabulous!

That is why I changed one toothy gator for another. I don't want to spend hours looking for myself. Sort of like when you buy a new vehicle and keep losing it in parking lots because you're looking for the old one!

I actually considered wading through public domain photos for a good one of Sir Patrick so I would still know who I was by sight, but it seemed like too much work. I figured the belly face would be pretty recognizable for me. And the rest of you will get used to it. :tongue_smilie:

Edited for grammar.

Since I think most associated my avatar (yellow sign with sharp edges) & my siggy graphic (robots -- think for yourself and let others do the same with a yellow stripe on it) with the color yellow, I took a photo of one of my fave scarves -- with yellow, of course!

I miss my sign & robot guys!

What I really have wanted for a while now is a graphic of a big, purple quill. I've even considered making my own. But i am so gun-shy about getting it set as an avatar. Because ever since we went to the new boards, i have not been able to post a photo. Resizing never worked properly.

I googled purple quill royalty free images

https://www.google.ca/search?q=purple+quill&client=firefox-a&hs=09G&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0X0TVLy7K8LU8AGGoYA4&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=611&dpr=1.25#q=purple+quill+royalty+free+images&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbs=ic:specific,isc:purple

<--------------  In case you couldn't figure it out, "A" stands for Amy.  My dd want you all to know that.  I told her it was for Awesome and Amazing. 

She says it also can stand for Addled.  Who was it that told me I had to teach Vocabulary?  I think we might be done with it now.

Vocabulary is definitely overrated. :lol: