Menu

So many posters are now avatar-less, I don't know who is who.

Ginevra

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the avatars going away? And why is everyone looking back to edit old posts? What did I miss???

Look at the "ABsolutely essential..." Posts by SWB in every forum. We must remove photos and quotes that are not in our own domain.

I love my visual photo cues. Boo hoo. Laura Corin is just not the same without Calvin & Hobbes.

Hmmmmpfh.  I had a Calvin & Hobbes avatar, too.  :toetap05:

Or maybe people thought we were the same poster and she got blamed for all my grouchiness?  :svengo:  I know *I* get people mixed up when their names or pics at similar.

haha just kidding...  and I'm currently too lazy to resize a picture to use as my avatar. :nopity:

Editing to add: I have obviously resized a picture. I don't like it, and will probabl ychange it soon, but there are very few photos of me.

Maybe this is a good thread to post the instructions on how to become something other then a shadow.  I've tried time and time again and nothing.

I just chose a picture I wanted and put it on my desktop to be able to easily find it. Then I used this site to resize it and downloaded the resized pic to my desktop. There are many sites you can use to do this.

Then, go to your profile and where your profile pic is should be something to click on (mine said "change" since I already had one). Then upload the file from your desktop. 

There are other ways to get a profile pic, but this is the easiest for me and I always do it that way. 

(My pic is a sunrise from our Nags Head trip, btw.)

Maybe this is a good thread to post the instructions on how to become something other then a shadow.  I've tried time and time again and nothing.

Reposted from an old thread...if you choose a picture online please make sure it is not copyrighted.

Also, when you first add an avatar, you will see it, but many other people won't.  Different browsers (explorer, firefox, chrome, etc.) seem to have different delays, but after a day or so everyone is normally able to see it.

How to Add an Avatar / Profile Picture

by Wendy

Step 0.  This is how it works on my Windows machine...I have no clue how it would differ for a tablet or Mac.

Step 1.  Choose your picture from either your computer or online.  If online save the picture by right clicking on it and choosing Save Image As and saving it on the desktop or somewhere you will be able to find it.

Step 2.  See how large your picture file is.  Find the file on the desktop or where ever and right click on it and choose Properties.  See what it says under Size: xx KB.  Ultimately the picture must be less than 50 KB in order to use it.

Step 3.  If your picture is already less than 50 KB skip to Step 5.  If it is more than 50 KB then you need to resize it.  There are many programs that will do that; I use PaintShop Pro.  If you know how to resize it, do so and then skip to Step 5, otherwise, go to Step 4.

Step 4.  There is a website called Pic Resize that will resize your images for free.  Go to the website and drag your picture file where it tells you (or browse for it).  Click Continue.  You can use any of the special effect tools you want, but the important one is the resize function.  Under Resize, Make My Picture, choose Custom Size.  Start by typing 200 in for the width and then click I'm Done, Resize my Picture.  At the top check the new file size and make sure it is less than 50 KB.  If it is not, click Resume Edit and enter something less than 200 as your width.  If it is small enough, click Save to Disk and save your new file on the desktop of somewhere you will be able to find it.

Step 5.  Now it is time to put that picture in your profile.  At the top of the forum page you should see your username next to Sign Out.  Click your user name and choose My Settings.  Under Profile Settings the top option is Change My Photo.  Once in there, browse for your photo where you saved it.

Step 6.  In my experience, you now have to leave your picture file on your computer where ever it was when you uploaded it.  Don't delete it or move it or your profile pic will disappear.  If you don't like where it is, then move it and then re-upload it to your profile.

I think that is it.  Let me know if you have questions.

Several years ago I was a webdesigner & webmaster for a couple non profits.
We got a shake-down letter for copyright violation on images.
We went through the site & found really nothing wrong. Sometimes the images were not attributed but they were our own images. Others had been put into public domain for non commercial use.

When I spoke with some other webdevelopers, it turned out this was a common scheme. Everyone was getting these letters & it all sounded very official & scary but if you ignored it, they went away.
Getty is known for this nonsense.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140820/18020328272/getty-threatens-wrong-ip-law-firm-its-copyright-trolling-efforts.shtml

Anyone who has had to change should have a tribute to the old avatar in their sigs:

-stripe, who used to have the creepy guy photo for my avatar.

-judomom, formerly the guinea pig judo master avatar.

Your wish is my command :).

Now that's Jed (the dog) in my avatar.  He doesn't know Judo.  But he's fluffy and he loves me, so I keep him.

Several years ago I was a webdesigner & webmaster for a couple non profits.

We got a shake-down letter for copyright violation on images.

We went through the site & found really nothing wrong. Sometimes the images were not attributed but they were our own images. Others had been put into public domain for non commercial use.

When I spoke with some other webdevelopers, it turned out this was a common scheme. Everyone was getting these letters & it all sounded very official & scary but if you ignored it, they went away.

Getty is known for this nonsense.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140820/18020328272/getty-threatens-wrong-ip-law-firm-its-copyright-trolling-efforts.shtml

I wondered if it had anything to do with the recent unauthorized release of nekkid celebrity selfies, and the subsequent tiger-lawyer follow up.

I wondered if it had anything to do with the recent unauthorized release of nekkid celebrity selfies, and the subsequent tiger-lawyer follow up.

well, I'm not in the know but it would be pretty standard mo for getty to ride the coat-tails of this & start another mass mailout to freak people out & see how many just send them a cheque to make things go away. (the letters we got were worded like parking tickets - pay us this $ now or it will be much more later! Pay now! Serious! Except we had done nothing wrong & didn't owe them a dime. I'm sure others have just paid...)

(can everyone tell I think US copyright laws need a massive overhaul LOL)

Well, now mine is not showing up, and neither are several who were saying they just got new ones. I could see them a while ago (including my own). Wonder what's up with that?

Edited to add that I can see them on Chrome, but not Safari.

What happens when you hit F5 in Safari?  Sometimes you need to force the page to update itself.

I've been a water lily for quite a while. I have two options that I'm thinking of using when I get the time to work on it.

I have pictures of my bee hives. 

I also have a picture of two mud puppies--my boys who took a mud wallow and then presented at the door for a wash down in the garden hose. I'm thinking of using it for their graduation announcements one day. :laugh:

Well, now mine is not showing up, and neither are several who were saying they just got new ones. I could see them a while ago (including my own). Wonder what's up with that?

Edited to add that I can see them on Chrome, but not Safari.

I can't see a lot of avatars, all the ones where people are saying they just posted a photo. I use Safari. 

I can't see a lot of avatars, all the ones where people are saying they just posted a photo. I use Safari. 

As I said in my post upthread...

Also, when you first add an avatar, you will see it, but many other people won't.  Different browsers (explorer, firefox, chrome, etc.) seem to have different delays, but after a day or so everyone is normally able to see it.

I just checked and Internet Explorer is displaying many of the new avatars on this page, but Chrome isn't yet.  From experience, I would guess that Chrome, Safari and Firefox will start displaying them some time in the next 24 hours.

Wendy

I'm kind of glad it took me forever to even make an avatar because I still have mine. I didn't even know how or if you could get another's picture avatar from the internet so I cropped a photo to microscopic pieces to fit the memory requirements of the website. But now all that hard work paid off.

Waaaahhhh!  I really liked my old Monty Python Knight who says "Ni" eye chart avatar.  There's no replacing that!  Maybe I should go see if I can get it on a tee shirt and take a picture of myself?

But only if you're sure the tshirt doesn't violate copyright...... 

(doesn't this all seem a bit kafkaesque?)

<-------formerly the cute cheerful pirate bee, now the more realistic grumpy pirate bee. Yes, my six year old will have drawing lessons this year and his fine motor co-ordination issues are being dealt with.

If you use FB, your profile pic there (or anything you've used as a profile pic in the past) is already resized to the right dimensions.

Is that a...? <horrified gasp>

Oh, great googly moogly, I think it is!!

brehon falls away in a dead faint>

P.S. It's not your dd(?) I'm talking about.

<-------formerly the cute cheerful pirate bee, now the more realistic grumpy pirate bee. Yes, my six year old will have drawing lessons this year and his fine motor co-ordination issues are being dealt with.

Drawing skills using a mouse are different than using a marker. I couldn't make anything recognizable with a computer mouse during elementary school, even though the paint program we had was just about my most favorite thing ever.

I've been a water lily for quite a while. I have two options that I'm thinking of using when I get the time to work on it.

I have pictures of my bee hives. 

I also have a picture of two mud puppies--my boys who took a mud wallow and then presented at the door for a wash down in the garden hose. I'm thinking of using it for their graduation announcements one day. :laugh:

Critterfixer, I have a water lily photo that I took myself that I can upload for you, if you'd like it.