Menu

Feeling a little jittery about September 11 'anniversary' approaching

Blueridge

I know I shouldn't be feeling this way, I have faith, but I can't help it...with all the unrest in the world right now. I can't shake the feeling that I should be preparing for the future more than I have been. I would miss electricity if it was suddenly turned off, whatever the reason. We wouldn't eat very well. And we would be thirsty. Is anyone else buying a bit more food and things for their emergency shelf? Stockpiling chocolate? Hiding a bit of cash in their sock drawer? :leaving: If you are, what are you doing? Buying? Opinions anyone? I think the chocolate idea is good!

ETA: I can see that my post could be offensive to some and of course I never meant that. Feeling very embarrassed now that I posted thoughtlessly, just speaking to a group of homeschool moms. That is all.

If anything serious enough happened in the US to cause us to lose electricity long-term, then we would see mass chaos. A small stockpile of canned goods or toilet paper wouldn't do you much good in that scenario.

We have normal emergency stuff at the house designed to help in short term emergencies (like hurricanes).

I don't think this year is any greater threat than in the past decade or so.

I am not sure what else could be done about some of the world situations without another WW2 style war (with rationing, war bonds, recycling for the war effort, victory gardens, a draft, Marshall style plan leaving forces in place for many, many years, etc). People couldn't even handle GWOT, which was an incredibly smaller scale war. Your average person doesn't seem to realize that we still have soldiers in Afghanistan and various ME countries.

I'm uncertain because it usually means a bunch of verbal attacks. (Because I wear hijab.)

While I'm sure ISIS would love to plan an attack on that dateĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I would think that US interests in the ME are far more vulnerable than here.  I would also think that it would be an extremely stupid date to chooseĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.as we're always on high-alert.

The UK has raised their terror alert (IMHO) because they have a larger Muslim population that they know have been going to Syria to fightĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.as well as the executioner of James Foley having a British accent.  

Just from a Muslim standpointĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.I can see why Muslim youth would have wanted to go to Syria to fight against Al-Assad. He was doing horrific things to his peopleĂ¢â‚¬Â¦gassing them, murdering children, etc...and the world basically did nothing for two years.  The problem is that the inaction by the ROW has allowed a more extreme group to appearĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.and kind of take over with their brutality.  Now, if a Muslim goes to Syria to fight against ISIS (which would be a natural thing to do) they will still get in trouble.

I don't know the solution regarding ISIS.  It seems like all of the main Muslim scholars/Shaykhs have spoken up against them.  Thing is, it was never about religion in the first place.  SoĂ¢â‚¬Â¦how to fight them, from a religious standpoint, I have no idea.  It can be very difficult to watch people of your same faith, your same ethnic background, be murdered for yearsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and see nobody do anything to stop it.  I think one solution (which I haven't seen proposed so I'm taking credit for it if it works ;)) would be for the West and perhaps the Arab League to have a sanctioned force/army that Western Muslims and others could join to try and eradicate them.  It would give them an opportunity "to fight"Ă¢â‚¬Â¦.but also provide cover/context/training to ensure that they are on the right side, for lack of a better word.  

I have a dear friend who co-wrote a fictional account about Peak Oil--basic premise was that the US would collapse in 3 days if the oil became too expensive. Food is delivered around every 3 days at the supermarket, and they use trucks--and you can imagine from there.

Anyway, yes, I have some anxiety about the world situation, but no, we really aren't preparing. I am managing to just hope my way thru it. I live in an area that would get nuked pretty quickly if it ever came to that (and I don't think it will for quite some time, if ever, but you never know).

I hate all the unrest, war, persecution, etc. I mean, who doesn't?

I'm not going to waste time over things I can't control, though.

Ah yes, I totally forgot to check what day of the week that is this year. (I usually check to make sure I don't go out that day. I don't like being verbally attacked with 4 kids in tow, I don't like it when I'm alone, but I do feel more vulnerable with the kiddos along). But it is Thursday I think so I will be home anyways. 

Yes UmSami, I really don't know what to do......

My plans to move have been delayed because of what is going on. I am thinking now about Alexandria. Only thing is I would have less family support so we'll see.

And I agree with MrsMungo, some stocked pile tp and soap may not be much help if things got to that level. We keep things on stock for earthquake (although I do need to add to my water stash, we used some).

I feel like if something terrible happened that affected my little corner of the U.S. so badly that we had extended foot shortages and no electricity we are ALL going to h**l in a hand basket and terrorists really have some serious firepower (which may be true but I really don't think it is productive to stress over this).  Hugs, though, OP.

FWIW, we always keep things stocked because of the possibility of Hurricanes.

9/11 will be a sad day, as always, and I will relive old memories that I don't really want to and I'm sure I will be a bit nervous, but I am more nervous for all the innocents being threatened and killed overseas...on many sides.

We keep things on stock for earthquake (although I do need to add to my water stash, we used some).

I need to top up on spare batteries for earthquake supplies. Kids have been using them up for their battery operated stuff. I am not that near to the fault lines but people are worried Hayward fault is next to cause an earthquake.

Just re: stockpilingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.I live in hurricane land.  We moved, though, and I'm not sure where everything is.

We have this thing that goes in the bathtub that can store water.  We have these awesome solar powered flashlights, that I love.  Batteries are stolen by kids, so we need more.  We have some freeze dried fruit from Shelf Reliance.   We're not really prepared, though.  I still need to add some cash, and copy important documents and stuff.  I keep saying next timeĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.so it's a good reminder.   

I am not worried about this as much as the fact that last year's winter weather was very bad and quite dangerous. A lot of meteorologists are predicting another winter like it. So, we have 24 facecord of wood, 500 gallons of propane, extra fuel for the cars, more candles and three gallons of lamp oil, fuel for the camp stove, water, pet food, plenty of toilet paper, and some medical supplies as well. We have half a beef in the freezer, a bushel of corn, some broccoli and green beans, blueberries, and raspberries, and my mom is canning tomatoes for me. I have dry beans as well. Normally I have would have a huge ton of dehydrating, freezing,and canning done by October, but the accident has left me unable to do very much.

I worry about ds. We've been told to expect that he will have a lot of aching and pain in super cold weather.

I try not to live in fear though I lost two dear people in the second plane. For me it isn't healthy to dwell. Plus, we've been through a bit this summer and need to maintain a positive attitude about the future for ds's sake.

I'm uncertain because it usually means a bunch of verbal attacks. (Because I wear hijab.)

While I'm sure ISIS would love to plan an attack on that dateĂ¢â‚¬Â¦I would think that US interests in the ME are far more vulnerable than here.  I would also think that it would be an extremely stupid date to chooseĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.as we're always on high-alert.

The UK has raised their terror alert (IMHO) because they have a larger Muslim population that they know have been going to Syria to fightĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.as well as the executioner of James Foley having a British accent.  

Just from a Muslim standpointĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.I can see why Muslim youth would have wanted to go to Syria to fight against Al-Assad. He was doing horrific things to his peopleĂ¢â‚¬Â¦gassing them, murdering children, etc...and the world basically did nothing for two years.  The problem is that the inaction by the ROW has allowed a more extreme group to appearĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.and kind of take over with their brutality.  Now, if a Muslim goes to Syria to fight against ISIS (which would be a natural thing to do) they will still get in trouble.

I don't know the solution regarding ISIS.  It seems like all of the main Muslim scholars/Shaykhs have spoken up against them.  Thing is, it was never about religion in the first place.  SoĂ¢â‚¬Â¦how to fight them, from a religious standpoint, I have no idea.  It can be very difficult to watch people of your same faith, your same ethnic background, be murdered for yearsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and see nobody do anything to stop it.  I think one solution (which I haven't seen proposed so I'm taking credit for it if it works ;)) would be for the West and perhaps the Arab League to have a sanctioned force/army that Western Muslims and others could join to try and eradicate them.  It would give them an opportunity "to fight"Ă¢â‚¬Â¦.but also provide cover/context/training to ensure that they are on the right side, for lack of a better word.  

I agree... There's a lot of other places in the world that would be easier targets.   However, with the Ebola scare and what I've read from "The Hot Zone", it seems horribly easy to get a deadly virus into the US...esp. if your group is filled with people willing to die for their cause.   Heck, Ebola Nigera was already here  - 45 min. from my house! and it was only sheer luck that it didn't pass from monkeys to humans that time.  As of the time of the book, the drs. couldn't explain why the most deadliest strain of Ebola only killed monkeys and not the exposed humans.

There is nothing in the world to apologize for. There are evil people doing insanely, barbarically evil things. There is nothing remotely wrong with saying that stirs fear!! I would so appreciate more people, political leaders speaking out against this rather than worrying about offending!! It is all mind boggling to me.

I'm not worried, but then again, I never do.  I mean, what am I going to do?  I can hide away from the world and be scared, but if so, IMO, the terrorists win.  That's what they want.  

To the woman who wear hijabs, I a so sorry that you have to put up with the ignorance of others.  That I can't imagine going through. (((HUGS))) to you and your families.

I'm not worried about terrorists.  Not right now, at least!  The chances are so slim.  I am concerned about changing weather patterns where I live.  We've had really bad extremes, so I have thought about stockpiling some winter weather survival necessities this year.  We've had our boiler system go down for 2 months before, so it would be wise to be prepared. Propane heater, easy to prepare foods (nut butter, etc.), water, etc.  I already have tornado supplies on hand.  If there's a HUGE catastrophe, my family is probably screwed since I have a type 1 diabetic and kid with profound thyroid issues who needs synthroid to not go into a coma.  So I'm preparing for minor catastrophes and purposefully denying the possibility of big ones.  :lol:

ETA: I can see that my post could be offensive to some and of course I never meant that. Feeling very embarrassed now that I posted thoughtlessly, just speaking to a group of homeschool moms. That is all.

I don't think you should have to apologize for your feelings. 

The city where I live wasn't targeted on 9/11 but we've had incidents here that do make me nervous.  A local Muslim man just went to prison for going into a gay nightclub on New Year's Eve and setting a fire.  (He had made statements in the past that gays deserved to be exterminated.)   Some years ago we also had another Muslim man walk into the Jewish Federation and start shooting people because of Israel.  Some other Muslim men were arrested for plotting to attack a local military recruiting place with machine guns and grenades.   And years ago when Salman Rushdie wrote his book a local tv news reporter went into a mosque to interview some Muslim men.  He asked the men what would they do if Rushdie walked into the room at that very moment and one of the men said that he would kill him on the spot.  (I phoned the mosque the next day and had a lengthy conversation with someone about the interview.)

So yes,  I'm jittery, too.  But it didn't begin with nor is it limited to 9/11. 

The city where I live wasn't targeted on 9/11 but we've had incidents here that do make me nervous.  A local Muslim man just went to prison for going into a gay nightclub on New Year's Eve and setting a fire.  (He had made statements in the past that gays deserved to be exterminated.)   Some years ago we also had another Muslim man walk into the Jewish Federation and start shooting people because of Israel.  Some other Muslim men were arrested for plotting to attack a local military recruiting place with machine guns and grenades.   And years ago when Salman Rushdie wrote his book a local tv news reporter went into a mosque to interview some Muslim men.  He asked the men what would they do if Rushdie walked into the room at that very moment and one of the men said that he would kill him on the spot.  (I phoned the mosque the next day and had a lengthy conversation with someone about the interview.)

Sigh.  What is the point in listing crimes by Muslim peoples?  Do we want to list all of the crimes done by Jews next? Christians?  Certain flavors of Christians?  What about atheists? Women? What was the point in this?

I try not to worry although I can go down those paths if I don't stop myself. DH gets worked up about it. My stockpile is that I live on a farm, so at least I have milk, beef, chickens, and corn and whatever I can grow. After that I guess it's deer and pigeons. Leaves for tp... guess I'll worry about that if it happens. hmm... if there's no electricity that's a lot of cows to milk by hand.

I only wish I had the stockpiled chocolate. It always gets eaten. 

I know!  How does that happen????  At least my wine stockpile is safe (for now!).  

As far as food stockpiled, well, we'd just be screwed and would have to go hungry.  I don't buy canned foods if I can help it, so...yeah, we'd be screwed. I suppose I should put something together and put it in the basement, but, I don't know.  I  mean we could survive a few days off what's in the cabinets and fridge/freezer, but that's about it.  Oh, and we always have water, so I guess that's a plus.

I never understood the advise about keeping extra meds.  We can't just GET extra meds.  The pharmacy won't just hand them out because we need to pack them in an emergency kit.  One of them has to be called in every month by the doctor for a refill. We have to sign for it, as it is a controlled substance, so I don't see them just dolling out an extra month.  

And my hometown had a big hole blown in it by a white guy with an axe to grind against the government.

I don't think being scared of any entire group is healthy or helpful.

I hate all the unrest, war, persecution, etc. I mean, who doesn't?

I'm not going to waste time over things I can't control, though.

Same here.  We live rural, so I guess I don't worry so much about not having food and such things.  I would be concerned about all three of my boys at their respective schools.  And my mom.

But I'm also aware that there are many other likely issues.  A 21 year old young man died in a car accident just 6/10ths of a mile from my house this past week.  It's at the exact spot that my kids used to wait for the school bus in their ps years.  My older two are 22 and 20 now.  Life can be short without any outside terrorism.  We need to enjoy what we have as none of us knows what tomorrow brings.

On 9/11 I'll be at school. (In other words, life will be continuing here as "normal.)  Should anything happen on that day, I'll do my best to guide Alg and Calc students through it - then work to assist my own guys/mom if needed.  I'd do the same on any other day if something happened - terrorist or natural disaster.

My DH has a doctor appointment at the VA on that day. When they set up his appointment, he jokingly said to the lady, "Great. I'm gonna be in a federal building on 9-11." 

I'm with the ones who don't worry about things they can't control. 

I think it's natural to feel uneasy on anniversaries of tragedies, especially when we're innundated with news about the ghastly, truly evil things going on in the world and how they may be creeping closer. It might make you feel better--or at least a little more in control of the uncontrollable--to translate some of that worry into action. Brush up on your first aid skills. Review your emergency plans with your family. Make sure you have at least a few days' worth of supplies on hand in case you can't or don't want to go out (which is good old common sense for ANY situation). Donate money or items to organizations in the community that help people in need. Beyond that, hug your children, bake something delicious for the family, smile at your neighbors more, spare a kind word for someone who looks like he/she needs it. GIve of yourself. Pray for peace and the safety of innocents here and around the world. And know that you're NOT alone. Now I'm off to take my own advice...

I grew up with very limited electricity and would love to say I would survive just fine, but our entire water system here on a septic, doesn't work if there is no electricity.  So, we would have no water and no flushing toilets.

My boys would be fine.  They are boy scouts and don't mind roughing it.  I would NOT be ok.

However, I am not that worried about an attack on Sept. 11, at least not hitting where I live.  When I lived in LA, I was a bit more worried.

Dawn

I know I shouldn't be feeling this way, I have faith, but I can't help it...with all the unrest in the world right now. I can't shake the feeling that I should be preparing for the future more than I have been. I would miss electricity if it was suddenly turned off, whatever the reason. We wouldn't eat very well. And we would be thirsty. Is anyone else buying a bit more food and things for their emergency shelf? Stockpiling chocolate? Hiding a bit of cash in their sock drawer? :leaving: If you are, what are you doing? Buying? Opinions anyone? I think the chocolate idea is good!

Amen.

I just committed a womanly crime against my hips, by eating the stockpiled chocolate.

I put a dent in my chocolate stockpile yesterday. While I was hiding in the closet as the children worked on their math.

If that's all it takes to send me into hiding with my chocolate stockpile, I'm pretty sure I won't survive if something truly devastating happens. But if big cities lost electricity and/or water, how many people would?

I had two Lindt dark chocolate bars stockpiled in the 'fridge and I blame this thread that there is now only one.

I guess the only solution is to go to the store and buy more.  This time, I'm buying milk chocolate.  I'm throwing caution to the wind.  Who cares if dark chocolate is healthierĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.I'm going for more sugar and less antioxidants!  So there, you evil terrorists and your vile vile plots. 

I had two Lindt dark chocolate bars stockpiled in the 'fridge and I blame this thread that there is now only one.

I guess the only solution is to go to the store and buy more.  This time, I'm buying milk chocolate.  I'm throwing caution to the wind.  Who cares if dark chocolate is healthierĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.I'm going for more sugar and less antioxidants!  So there, you evil terrorists and your vile vile plots. 

Perfectly reasonable as in a survival situation you need the sugar more than the antioxidants. I'd better stock up on milk chocolate before there's a run at the HEB.

The chocolate idea is always a good one.8ce7.jpg

It may be helpful if we offer recommendations of disaster-worthy chocolates.

My ultimate preference will always be Whole Foods Toffee with Sea Salt chocolate bar. But for stockpiling, Aldi is a more economic choice - Moser Roth Toffee Crunch and Mint Dark Chocolate.

I always think of War of the Worlds, with Tom Cruise leading everyone up the highway, the Bayonne Bridge being destroyed. I think water is going to last a while here, as people figure out to get pumps working by relocating the existing solar panel setups from residential housing to the town wells, or by filtering. Chlorination isn't going to happen for long though. And the first winter will be rough for everyone that didn't have a hideyhole planned out and stocked in a place that city folks won't discover...lots of people will head for the hunting camps in the woods.

I live with a few million people in the middle of the desert. If our water supply is compromised...well, it's a good reason to keep gas tanks full. Though honestly, I don't think one tank would get us to a safe haven unless it was a strictly local situation.

But then our entire water system in the Southwest U.S. is completely insane and probably non-sustainable, so eventually, something will happen. But it's likely to happen by inches rather than all at once and maybe, hopefully, we'll have time to adapt (like start respecting the fact that we live in a place where water is scarce).

Amen.

I just committed a womanly crime against my hips, by eating the stockpiled chocolate.

I'm just impressed you managed to stockpile chocolate.  Dh bought me some for my birthday and I haven't felt well enough to eat it.  Looks like I'm all set if I can hold off for 13 more days!

I grew up under terrorist threat, with our centre of government bombed twice - once fatally; one rocket attack on the premier's residence; a bombing at the ruling party's annual conference that killed five; a total of over two thousand people dying over the period.  Every day in my childhood and youth, there seemed to be atrocities on the news.  Major buildings had permanent barriers outside to forestall car bombings, as rubbish blew through public places where the litter bins had been removed as too risky.

You have to carry on, taking the minor risk of terrorism along with the much more major risk of driving out for an ice cream.

L

You have to carry on, taking the minor risk of terrorism along with the much more major risk of driving out for an ice cream.

L

This is an important point.  Your risk from terrorist attack is so much smaller than car wrecks, accidents, cancer, etc.  It's good to have a little perspective. 

I do not worry. Humans' perception of risk has little to do with the probability of the event and much with the feeling of having control or not.

It would make a lot more sense to worry about daily driving, since more than  30,000 people die in car wrecks every year in the US.

I never understood the advise about keeping extra meds. We can't just GET extra meds.

When it comes to extra medicine/medication, it is mainly about over the counter drugs like Tylenol, Benardryl, Claritin.... I could get a standby inhaler for asthma and my neighbor has an extra epi-pen for her child.

We always try to have a reasonable supply of food and so forth on hand. Stuff happens. I have no particular concern about this 9/11 - if something does happen, chances are it will be local in scope, as the original 9/11 was, and almost certainly not local to us.

But it just makes sense. Stuff happens. We live on the edge of nowhere, and it's not implausible we could have an extended power outage (which would have meant no water before we installed a hand pump) or an earthquake or some other natural disaster that interrupts supply chains, as well as the more remote possibility of something that has longer-term effects on a wider region. There are also personal disasters, like job loss, where having a supply of food on hand can be helpful.

If you focus on foods you'd normally use, buy gradually, and rotate them (use what you have and buy more, rather than having a stockpile), it isn't really an extra expense so much as buying ahead. 

It's not about being paranoid. If anything, it makes you less paranoid (as long as you don't hang out online with lots of conspiracy theorists who are utterly convinced DOOM is going to happen at any second!), because you know that you can handle reasonable glitches without a problem.

Sigh.  What is the point in listing crimes by Muslim peoples?  Do we want to list all of the crimes done by Jews next? Christians?  Certain flavors of Christians?  What about atheists? Women? What was the point in this?

Just liking this wasn't enough. 

And my hometown had a big hole blown in it by a white guy with an axe to grind against the government.

I don't think being scared of any entire group is healthy or helpful.

And as I'm sure you remember, people immediately blamed Muslim terrorists before waiting for any details.

I'm feeling lucky that I stocked up on dark chocolate in the US this summer. 

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I'm the only one in my household who likes dark chocolate. Whenever the stockpile gets depleted I can't blame it on someone else. 

I do not worry. Humans' perception of risk has little to do with the probability of the event and much with the feeling of having control or not.

It would make a lot more sense to worry about daily driving, since more than  30,000 people die in car wrecks every year in the US.

Yes. We tend to worry much more about the things that are 1) least likely to happen, and/or 2) out of our control. That which is beyond our control is the scariest.

I think it is reasonable and sensible to take a look at the likely natural disasters in your area, and think through what you'd need to do to be prepared should one of them occur.  You can't cover every possibility, but it's not hard to put the basics in place.  And it's reasonable to think through the plan on a more-or-less annual basis, to replace what has been used or needs to be freshened.  Hurricane season is coming on the east coast, and winter will bring snow to some areas in a couple of months.  

While terrorist attacks can and do happen, it's much more likely that any particular person will be affected by a natural disaster (hurricane, flood, snowstorm, earthquake) or a family emergency (illness, or something else that takes your focus off of keeping up with the everyday tasks).  

The basics are the same in most of these cases.  Having a jar of peanut butter, one of jelly, and a box of crackers on the shelf covers lunch for a couple of days.  A couple of flats of water bottles in the garage may prove useful if your water goes out.  Some candles or lanterns will get you through short power outages.  Filling up your car when it gets to half-empty means you will have enough if you have to drive to the ER.  Regularly replacing the cat food before it's totally empty will be helpful if you come down with the flu.  Making a list of tasks to do to prepare for an impending snowstorm or hurricane, and putting it in your planner for reference when needed, can help you do what needs to be done with a minimum of anxiety.  A bit of cash in your sock drawer can pay the pizza delivery man when you are home with a sick kid and your dh has to work.  Making sure your kids all have decent winter coats will get you ready for snowy adventures.

If you're feeling stressed, working on making some of the above part of standard operating procedure at your house may help.  It can also help to realize that preparing for the coming of winter is a natural instinct for us, just as many of us get the urge to clean in the spring.  And of course normal stress management tools are always good - turn off the news, get some fresh air and exercise, spend some time with loved ones.  And if your anxiety over world events is interfering with normal daily life, that's when it would be time to get some professional guidance.  

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I'm the only one in my household who likes dark chocolate. Whenever the stockpile gets depleted I can't blame it on someone else. 

On the bright side, in a post-apocalyptic world (or a major power outage), you won't have to share your chocolate. :P

Cat

I bought three large Cadbury Fruit & Nut bars.

Three large Hershey Bars w/Almonds.  

And One Lindt 85% Dark bar.  I figure that's kind of like medicine in case we get sick.  We also have Monsters, Inc. and Barbie Band-Aids.

We also have a large jar of Nutella (thanks to a previous Nutella hazelnut prices panic thread)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦.and of course, a giant two pack of Jif peanut butter.  I found out yesterday that you can make a cake using just four eggs and nutellaĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.so if the world does come to an end, I at least have my birthday cake covered.

Remember the old Reeses commercial where the guy's chocolate bar falls into the jar of peanut butter? I see that in our future.  

I think we're set.

I agree with umsami that I don't think something will happen and sincerely hope it doesn't. I DO have kind of a rule that I stay inside and don't go out on that day though for my own safety (and that of my children), tensions tend to run really high (higher than normal) specifically on that date in my experience. I think if the Arab league DID put together an army to fight that group (sorry, won't use the term Islam in their name because they don't deserve that), they may find a good amount of interest, especially since many of the big scholars of Saudi have said it is permissible and you will be rewarded if you go to fight them and force them out.

Well amazon just delivered a bag of raisinets.... so does that count as adding to my dried fruit stash or chocolate stash??? or both  :laugh: ?

I am going shopping and nutella and PB happen to both be on my list... I can't keep nutella in my emergency stash as well, I would be always having an emergency!